Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2010, 03:31 PM   #976
Twitterpated!
Mouseketeer

~ When doing character meals, start snapping pictures as soon as the character comes to the table! The posed shots rarely come out well. It's the candid shots that are the most magical. Getting to capture the reaction of your little princess or pirate on film is something you will be so grateful for years from now!

~ If your child is like mine (DD6), and is afraid to go on rides where she does not know what is going to happen (ie Peter Pan's Flight, Toy Story Mania etc) go on youtube and show them videos of the rides. This will help them be so much less apprehensive and more excited!

~ Do Animal Kingdom early on in your trip when you have lots of energy, and wear your best walking shoes for that park! There is a lot of walking on very hilly terrain.

~ Research the attractions with the most wait time, and hit them first! If fastpass is available for these, use it! (TSM at DHS, PPF at MK, Soarin' at Epcot, and EE at AK are my picks for the busiest.)

Me DH DD(6)

Last edited by Twitterpated!; 04-08-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Twitterpated! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:09 PM   #977
jessrose18
ADVENTURE IS OUT THERE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitterpated! View Post
~ When doing character meals, start snapping pictures as soon as the character comes to the table! The posed shots rarely come out well. It's the candid shots that are the most magical. Getting to capture the reaction of your little princess or pirate on film is something you will be so grateful for years from now!

~ If your child is like mine (DD6), and is afraid to go on rides where she does not know what is going to happen (ie Peter Pan's Flight, Toy Story Mania etc) go on youtube and show them videos of the rides. This will help them so much less apprehensive and more excited!

~ Do Animal Kingdom early on in your trip when you have lots of energy, and wear your best walking shoes for that park! There is a lot of walking on very hilly terrain.

~ Research the attractions with the most wait time, and hit them first! If fastpass is available for these, use it! (TSM at DHS, PPF at MK, Soarin' at Epcot, and EE at AK are my picks for the busiest.)
Great AK tip. We have saved this park for the last day before and we were just too worn out to stay as long as we wanted to. DHS is a better last day park.

jessrose18 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-12-2010, 10:28 AM   #978
thebigkahuna
DIS Veteran

to roll with the punches.

although I had planned stuff for each day, the best moments weren't things I had planned for.
In fact, only ONE thing I had planned actually came to pass!

It's totally ok to NOT follow a plan. sometimes life (and Disney) just unfold in front of you, and it's amazing.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:04 PM   #979
JoShan1719
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigkahuna View Post
to roll with the punches.

although I had planned stuff for each day, the best moments weren't things I had planned for.
In fact, only ONE thing I had planned actually came to pass!

It's totally ok to NOT follow a plan. sometimes life (and Disney) just unfold in front of you, and it's amazing.
This. I make a general plan for each day, but we change it as we go along and I have no problems with that. The best moments are the unplanned moments
JoShan1719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:45 PM   #980
bmldisney
Earning My Ears

Great ideas! Thanks!
bmldisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:49 PM   #981
Ecboyd
Got the Ears, Now I need the nose!

Talking My Tips

Small binder clips to close uneaten food bags, they "lock"

Crystal light drink mix packets for water

The reusable water bottles

Candy, a pocket full of sugar free candy 1 it cuts down on the munchies budget and 2, gives you something to keep your mouth from getting dry.

Personal wipes. Like the cottenl (TP) ones. Makes for a much "fresher" day. and they come in little handy pks too.

Mini sun bock bottles with the clip. Hangs off your pocket or bag.

Small advil (or other) bottle with a bit of different meds in it. Pain killer, sudifed. Pepto etc...

Glow sticks from the dollar store

Batteries for the glowey stuff you bought LAST time

Extra Socks and undies

"Treat bags" for the flight/ Drive. $1 cards, stickers, drawing paper, etc, just fun time killing stuff.

Games in line A,B,C movies etc

Clicker Sharpies for autographs

2 Gallon zip lock bags to put your bag in for water rides

and last but not least.

Pad lock from your suit case to hold you towel, bag and whatever to the chair at the water parks. WORKS wonders, and no one ever kicks you out of your seat...

Huggs
"Club 33" 2009
Tokyo Disney 1990
Ecboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:57 PM   #982
starlionblue
Recovering Disney addict but still failing

Use a collapsible water bottle so you don't spend a fortune on bottled water. Just fill it at the public fountains.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...48oz_wide.html

Seriously consider taking a pillow case. Moms should take one per child minimum since they take up almost no space in the bags. You can stuff it with your dirty clothing so it doubles as a hamper and it helps support your neck should the hotel cheap out and give you a fake pillow, I'm talking about the ones that are all air: they flatten completely when you sleep on them! I did this on a trip to New York and was very grateful to have my pillowcase with me. Even better, if you have it on the flight to Orlando, you won't have to worry about your kids picking up someone else's germs on the airline pillows. I KNOW they don't wash them often. Ugh, how do you know the last person to use it didn't have a cold?

And also, no matter how old you are, it might be wise to talk mom and dad into renting a minivan IF they know a few cousins will be going. Trust me, no matter how old you are, you never stop having silly fights with your cousins over the seats!
starlionblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:37 PM   #983
jusero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlionblue View Post
Use a collapsible water bottle so you don't spend a fortune on bottled water. Just fill it at the public fountains.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...48oz_wide.html
If you don't like the taste or temperature of the water fountain water, you can ask at any of the counter services/vendors that have fountain drinks. They will either fill your bottle for you or give you a full size cup of ice water for free.

1982, 1985, Disneyland
Sept., 1995: Shades of Geen, WDW
Oct. 2006: Disneyland
May, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012: Shades of Green, WDW
Dec. 2008: Shades of Green, WDW

2011 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2745311
2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2933651
2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201400

jusero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #984
sdwrdt
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsgrumpybear View Post
At walmart i went to the machine that makes dog tags. I made one for each of my kids with there names, my cell phone number, and my husbands cell phone number.and put it on a necklace and they wore them just in case we got seperated.
What I did when my girls were 6 & 4, had them attach the dog tags through their shoe laces so it went over the tops of their shoes. This way, they didn't have to wear them, but wouldn't lose them.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:19 PM   #985
stinkerbelle's mom
Achooo!
Good thing that the necessities are attached or they would have been lost long ago
I do have to pretend to work some more

When I know I am going to do a lot of walking I plan on wearing my most comfortable tennis shoes--- I prefer running shoes. Also I always take 2 pain relievers/aspirin before I leave. I never have any troubles with my feet, back, or legs from too much walking. When I forget then there's trouble.

stinkerbelle's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:56 PM   #986
Emm
Lost my ears. Trying to get them back.

Quote:
Seriously consider taking a pillow case. Moms should take one per child minimum since they take up almost no space in the bags.
I always travel with at least one pillowcase per person. As you say, they take up very little space and can be useful for a lot of things.

For example: If you have questions about the cleanliness of the hotel, at least you can be sure the pillowcase you sleep on is clean (or has only your germs). OR If you (or a picky child) don't like the feel of the fabric of the hotel pillow cases, you can always have your own. A homesick child (not likely to happen at Disney, but you never know) might sleep better on his own pillowcase with Thomas the Tank Engine on it or whatever.

IDEA: A pretty Disney-themed pillowcase might add magic to the hotel room, especially if you are staying off-site. Or if someone is having a birthday or special occasion, a personalized pillowcase (you can get them from places like Land's End) might be fun too.

Pillowcases are also useful when packing. You can roll small things (headbands, thongs, etc.) in them so that when you unpack they will be easily found, and you can use them to tuck around odd shaped things, like shoes (which should be in shoe bags or plastic bags, of course) so that they fit more snuggly with surrounding clothing.

This is just in addition to what was mentioned earlier, which are all great ideas also.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:16 AM   #987
pasoawe
Earning My Ears

This is a good discussion.It is helpfull to me.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:48 AM   #988
Brit_Jude
DIS Veteran

Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emm View Post
I always travel with at least one pillowcase per person. As you say, they take up very little space and can be useful for a lot of things.

For example: If you have questions about the cleanliness of the hotel, at least you can be sure the pillowcase you sleep on is clean (or has only your germs). OR If you (or a picky child) don't like the feel of the fabric of the hotel pillow cases, you can always have your own. A homesick child (not likely to happen at Disney, but you never know) might sleep better on his own pillowcase with Thomas the Tank Engine on it or whatever.

IDEA: A pretty Disney-themed pillowcase might add magic to the hotel room, especially if you are staying off-site. Or if someone is having a birthday or special occasion, a personalized pillowcase (you can get them from places like Land's End) might be fun too.

Pillowcases are also useful when packing. You can roll small things (headbands, thongs, etc.) in them so that when you unpack they will be easily found, and you can use them to tuck around odd shaped things, like shoes (which should be in shoe bags or plastic bags, of course) so that they fit more snuggly with surrounding clothing.

This is just in addition to what was mentioned earlier, which are all great ideas also.
When I am traveling in the winter I carry a pillowcase with me for plane travel. When I get to the Airport and don't need my coat I put it in the pillowcase. It has several funtions, it makes carrying my coat a lot easier, it is easier to put into the overhead bin when the coat is in the pillow case or I can use it as a pillow on the plane.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:37 PM   #989
Janell
DIS Veteran

You all have such great tips thank you for sharing.
Janell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:08 PM   #990
LizEN
Mouseketeer

Pin back security tip

A CM gave me the great advice to cut a small square from the plastic card the pins come on and press the pin through it before putting on the pin back. If the back falls off, the plastic piece still holds the pin in place. We saved a couple of pins this way! And, as mentioned, we get the metal screw-on pin backs for the pins we don't plan to trade.

One thing about Ebay pins--they are often knock offs. My DD loves to trade with other children but it is frustrating to me to see that she traded a genuine (and pricey!) pin and received a thin, cheapo, copy pin. I know the other child had no idea, but it isn't really fair. Instead, I tend to lead her to the CMs to trade her pins.

This has been a really helpful topic!
LizEN is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: