Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-02-2010, 01:06 PM   #961
Kellybelly777
Time to Start planning next year's trip? Why yes, I think so!!! =)
 
Kellybelly777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Sitting at my computer, on Disboards, most likely with music playing on youtube
Posts: 432

out of everything we've learned-three things really stick out in my mind

1. Make sure you'll be able to take a break everyday to go back to the hotel to swim, take showers, relax etc. That way, you'll have more energy to get to things you want to do rather than dealing with meltdowns.

2. NEVER overplan. My dad is the type of person who has to plan everything out, like what rides we'll go on first and schedules down to the second. Just play it by ear and see what you feel like

BUT...

3.have a little bit of a gameplan. Know about extramagic hours and stuff like that, and know what the most popular attractions are so you can try to get on those first.

Know the basics, but don't worry about mapping every single thing you're gonna do. And always have fun and RELAX!!!
__________________
Disneyland-2001, offsite Disneyworld-2003, Beach Club Disney Cruiseline-2003 Disney Cruiseline-2005 Disneyland-2006, offsite Disneyworld- 2009, All-star Music Disneyworld- 2010, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Kidani Disneyworld- 2011, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Kidani Disneyland, 2012, Offsite Disneyworld- 2013, Contemporary Resort, Bay Lake Tower
Kellybelly777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:35 PM   #962
Wendy Lee
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 32

Take individual packaged drink mixes and a water bottle to hang on each person's belt. Just ask for a glass of ice water and refill water bottle...or at drinking fountain. Saves lots on drinks. If you buy drinks, you can't finish them before next ride and waste them. Expensive too.
Wendy Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-04-2010, 03:38 PM   #963
carlbarry
DIS Veteran
 
carlbarry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: On Long Island, New York.
Posts: 1,403

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Lee View Post
Take individual packaged drink mixes and a water bottle to hang on each person's belt. Just ask for a glass of ice water and refill water bottle...or at drinking fountain. Saves lots on drinks. If you buy drinks, you can't finish them before next ride and waste them. Expensive too.
You don't even need the expensive individual packets. Many mixes, including now Crystal Light, are in plastic sleeve like envelopes that you can tear open, and then keep closed with a paper clip. Just tap some into a glass! Much more economical.
__________________


Last edited by carlbarry; 04-04-2010 at 04:23 PM. Reason: correct a typo
carlbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 04:21 PM   #964
anadyr21
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 44

Someone once posted that if your poncho rips, you can go to any of the stores to get a free replacement. Boy did we need that. My husband ripped his within 30 minutes and it was replaced with no problems. My son loves his poncho and has taken it to school on a few rainy days.

Dole whips!!!! Never knew about them until this board. They are a must have!

Taking the ferry instead of the Monorail to MK when the Monorail line is long. It was a relaxing change of pace.
anadyr21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:39 PM   #965
ilovedisney!
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1

Wink Afternoon Rest

Get to a park when it opens, go on the most popular rides first, ALWAYS go back to your hotel (if staying at a Disney Resort) for a swim / relaxation in the early afternoon. By dinner, you'll be all ready to head back to a park, fresh and relaxed, ready for the excitement.
ilovedisney! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:41 PM   #966
iheartjacksparrow
Mouseketeer
 
iheartjacksparrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jersey Shore...My life is your vacation!
Posts: 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlionblue View Post
I'm sorry but I beg to disagree somewhat there. "It will still be there next year." Disney is always tearing down the things I love and replacing it with fad rides (think Lilo and Stitch or Nemo). You never know if that ride will be gone next time you come. I miss 20,000 LUTS, the OLD version of the Star Jets, Journey into Imagination (the new one is a shameful "update"), If you had wings and World of Motion. Now, considering the popularity of "Cars" I cannot believe they never put in a bumper car ride with the Cars characters. I thought that was going to happen for sure. Oh, and World Showcase needs to be totally redone. It's ancient and boring compared with the other parts of the park.
My choices:
old attraction/ replacement
Norway/ Sweden
Mexico/ Argentina (hey, my dad says that they make the best steaks south of Texas!)
China/ New Zealand (why not, "Lord of the Rings" was that country's greatest contribution to Hollywood!)
Japan/ Malaysia
Germany/ Switzerland (Swiss-German theme is best)
Italy/ Belgium
England/ Ireland! (we gotta have an excuse to put in a pub!)
Morocco/ Dubai or Bahrain
Canada/ Bermuda or some Caribbean island nation
France/ Holland (please calm down, that does NOT mean Mickey should be selling you-know-what!)
Wow, I would be heartbroken if Epcot made the changes you suggested..
__________________
ASM July 2002 Offsite August 2004 ASM July 2005 CS April 2006 CBR April 2007 POP August 2007 PORS August 2008 CBR January 2009 POP August 2009 (Maggie's Birthday!) POP Nov/Dec 2009 CBR June 2010


iheartjacksparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:51 AM   #967
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Drive to DL, Fly to WDW
Posts: 28,453

Charactor meals if you have little kids. Send a postcard to you home, sign it from Mickey. Bring a couple roles of quarters and one of pennies for the pressed penny machines, cheapest souvenir in the world.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:34 AM   #968
starlionblue
Recovering Disney addict but still failing
 
starlionblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartjacksparrow View Post
Wow, I would be heartbroken if Epcot made the changes you suggested..
Did you know that WS has been the same ever since the park opened? It's boring seeing the same stuff every time. Last time I went, I just saw one country and went to EPCOT. It has NEVER been updated. I guess you're lucky to be the kind of person who doesn't get bored! What is it about the countries I suggested? Have something against Sweden or (insert country name)? Seeing something new would make WS MUCH better. PS, with Canada and Mexico north and south of the borders, I find it silly to have them in WS. There are other countries out there to see so why not have some variety? I've actually been to nearly half the countries I suggested and I KNOW quite a few visitors would enjoy seeing something new.
starlionblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:41 AM   #969
tttessa
DIS Veteran
 
tttessa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Gloucestershire, England
Posts: 1,336

Hiya - we also send home a postcard we have got signed by Mickey - gives the kids a quick reminder, gets them reminiscing....

Also - STOP, BREATHE, SMELL THE ROSES , we explore the trails at the AK tree of life - there is sooo much to see.
__________________
"Every one of us is made of stardust" - John Gribbin


WDW -Holiday Inn Idrive 98, Virgin 3 bed villa April ,2008, Virgin villa Oct 2010
DLRP - Disneyland Hotel May06, DCR April 12-17 2007
tttessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:56 AM   #970
targetmom
Earning My Ears
 
targetmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 15

Try to go in an off season. We were there one Christmas and spent most of our time standing in line... Went back early Sept. 2 years later and there were almost no waits....
targetmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:54 PM   #971
PRenee
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 33

Rope Drop for some reason wasn't good for us. We tried and there seemed to be more people than ever!!!!!! We learned that if we slept in and didn't hurry to the park then we got a better rest for later that night. Also around 7:00-7:30 that night the rides weren't as bad and some of them you could ride back to back with very little wait. As it got later it got even better.

Taking the ferry from Hoop De Revue to MK at night! GORGEOUS!

Using the train to get from Frontierland to Mickeys Toon Town rather than walking (since we tried 3 seperate times for Mickeys signature)

Anytime parades were going on the rides weren't that bad of a wait.

Oh and we missed this but if you go to HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS hurry and get a fastpass to Toy Story. By 11:00 all fast passes for the day were gone and the wait was a constant 112 minutes
PRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:51 AM   #972
ConnieB
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,550

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlionblue View Post
Did you know that WS has been the same ever since the park opened? It's boring seeing the same stuff every time. Last time I went, I just saw one country and went to EPCOT. It has NEVER been updated. I guess you're lucky to be the kind of person who doesn't get bored! What is it about the countries I suggested? Have something against Sweden or (insert country name)? Seeing something new would make WS MUCH better. PS, with Canada and Mexico north and south of the borders, I find it silly to have them in WS. There are other countries out there to see so why not have some variety? I've actually been to nearly half the countries I suggested and I KNOW quite a few visitors would enjoy seeing something new.
Wow...that's some sweeping changes you want to see. But....using your same philosphy of it being the same ever since the park opened, maybe we should also rip out and replace things in MK that not only have been there since opening, but are practically the same as Disneyland versions, meaning it's been the same for 55 years: Snow White ride, Pinocchio, Dumbo, Tea Cups, etc etc.

Some of us really enjoy seeing the same thing each year.....obviously a vast majority of the guests do since they keep coming back and because every time Disney makes even cosmetic changes there is a lot of grumbling and griping.

Me, frankly, I wish they'd STOP making all the changes.......It's a Small World should NEVER have Disney characters plunked into it....they are so out of place......and at Disneyland they are building a entire "land" around the Cars movie, which makes no sense to me because the movie was ok, but certainly not wildly popular, but of course they're planning a sequel or three and what better way to promote it, lol. And don't even get me started on Disneyland's hideous "overlay" on the Haunted Mansion every fall.....that's one movie they should just let die already, but of course the overlay is what continues to sell it.

Honestly, you're never going to please everyone no matter what you want...changes or stay the same. I'd say that Disney does a pretty good job trying to please everyone. I'd love to see another country or two ADDED, but don't take any of the existing ones away.....there are soooo many hidden gems to each country, but a lot of people don't bother to look for them and so they walk past thinking "been there done that". Fine with me, because you folks can go clog up the silly rides and exhibits in EPCOT leaving me with more space to explore the countries and talk with the fascinating Cast Members in each.

And hey, if you're looking for "new"....try Harry Potterland or whatever it's called. That ought to control crowd levels for a little while, lol....but of course after a few times there you'll be back at Disney because that's what always happens! We're in a serious economic crunch in this country and yet Disney is still thriving, yes, they're hurting too, but not nearly as much as so many other amusement parks......and there is a reason for that.
ConnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:31 AM   #973
SnowWhite12
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 732

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieB View Post
Wow...that's some sweeping changes you want to see. But....using your same philosphy of it being the same ever since the park opened, maybe we should also rip out and replace things in MK that not only have been there since opening, but are practically the same as Disneyland versions, meaning it's been the same for 55 years: Snow White ride, Pinocchio, Dumbo, Tea Cups, etc etc.

Some of us really enjoy seeing the same thing each year.....obviously a vast majority of the guests do since they keep coming back and because every time Disney makes even cosmetic changes there is a lot of grumbling and griping.

Me, frankly, I wish they'd STOP making all the changes.......It's a Small World should NEVER have Disney characters plunked into it....they are so out of place......and at Disneyland they are building a entire "land" around the Cars movie, which makes no sense to me because the movie was ok, but certainly not wildly popular, but of course they're planning a sequel or three and what better way to promote it, lol. And don't even get me started on Disneyland's hideous "overlay" on the Haunted Mansion every fall.....that's one movie they should just let die already, but of course the overlay is what continues to sell it.

Honestly, you're never going to please everyone no matter what you want...changes or stay the same. I'd say that Disney does a pretty good job trying to please everyone. I'd love to see another country or two ADDED, but don't take any of the existing ones away.....there are soooo many hidden gems to each country, but a lot of people don't bother to look for them and so they walk past thinking "been there done that". Fine with me, because you folks can go clog up the silly rides and exhibits in EPCOT leaving me with more space to explore the countries and talk with the fascinating Cast Members in each.

And hey, if you're looking for "new"....try Harry Potterland or whatever it's called. That ought to control crowd levels for a little while, lol....but of course after a few times there you'll be back at Disney because that's what always happens! We're in a serious economic crunch in this country and yet Disney is still thriving, yes, they're hurting too, but not nearly as much as so many other amusement parks......and there is a reason for that.
Wow! I felt like I was reading myself. I agree with the changes at DL (Cars land is ridiculous to me, and I hate they added the Disney characters as well to Small World there.) As far as Epcot goes, I have never gotten over them changing the original Mexico boat ride. I loved the original! I must be in the minority that didn't like Disney characters added to that either. To me it made it silly, when it used to be a very quaint, romantic, calm boat ride that was reminiscent of true Mexico.
SnowWhite12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:30 PM   #974
AprilRenee
DIS Veteran
 
AprilRenee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,043

Disney toys at Target

So I read all 65 pages over this last week. Go me!!! But anyway, just wanted to let those of you looking for small Disney gifts (to leave for your kids in the morning) know, I was at Target today getting personal fans for our trip and I got sidetracked by the "dollar section." They had a bunch of Disney character socks (for boys and girls) and also a bunch of Disney Princess stuff. Like journals, markers, puzzle books etc. I ended up buying 3 puzzle books to start the magic in the plane (I had to promise myself I wouldn't open them till I was sitting on the plane! ). I also got a pair of Belle socks (the largest size fit me fine and I wear a womens 7.5)
There wasn't a lot besides the socks for boys, mostly princess/girly stuff. I wanted to get boy puzzle books for DH but I guess he'll just have to share mine :-D

Last edited by AprilRenee; 04-07-2010 at 11:37 PM.
AprilRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:14 AM   #975
toniosmom
AKV, BCV, BLT Owner!
 
toniosmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,432

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilRenee View Post
So I read all 65 pages over this last week. Go me!!! But anyway, just wanted to let those of you looking for small Disney gifts (to leave for your kids in the morning) know, I was at Target today getting personal fans for our trip and I got sidetracked by the "dollar section." They had a bunch of Disney character socks (for boys and girls) and also a bunch of Disney Princess stuff. Like journals, markers, puzzle books etc. I ended up buying 3 puzzle books to start the magic in the plane (I had to promise myself I wouldn't open them till I was sitting on the plane! ). I also got a pair of Belle socks (the largest size fit me fine and I wear a womens 7.5)
There wasn't a lot besides the socks for boys, mostly princess/girly stuff. I wanted to get boy puzzle books for DH but I guess he'll just have to share mine :-D
I have often found Disney toys and trinkets at various dollar stores. I also stocked up on the glow sticks there as well. Saved me lots of $$$!!!
__________________
Me: DS9:

1974 - Offsite 1976 - Offsite 1997 - Dixie Landings 1998 - Offsite 2008 - All Star Movies - Became new DVC member! March 2009 - SSR - First DVC Vacation!
March 2010 - AKV-Kidani Dec 2010 - BLT Christmas Trip April 2011 - BCV Nov 2011- BWV/DCL Dream March 2013 - BLT/DCL Dream April 2014 - VGF/DCL Dream Sept 2014 - VWL
toniosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3rd Disney ship on the drawing board disneyfan73 Disney Cruise Line Forum 16 10-03-2005 07:31 AM
Collecting DCL pins djs113 Trades/Wants Board 1 03-16-2005 09:26 PM
New AP discount questions Carl Purchasing DVC 8 03-14-2005 08:01 PM
A Disney Dream Comes True/Happy Disney Birthday to DS! February 15-19, 2005 GADISNEYGIRL Completed Trip Reports 1 03-09-2005 08:59 AM
šoš Yeahhhhh... "13" days to WDW Mousefest Mega-Mouse Meet... UPDATES. šoš RaySharpton Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies 111 11-29-2004 08:08 AM

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright Đ 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: