Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2010, 09:30 PM   #946
catgirl
Mouseketeer

bump, want to keep this going
April 2010 POP w/mom & 7yr old niece-Birthday trip
4/21/12 Eastern Caribbean on Fantasy w/DH & DN
11/2/13 ASM w/now 10yr old niece
catgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:24 PM   #947
ascardino
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapbooksellman View Post
A tip I heard from a CM was to take a picture of your photopass card(s) so if you lose on you still have the number to upload when you get home.
Wish that I had done that. Lost ours from our January trip

GF-11/01 (Honeymoon), 3/03, 10/02....BLT - 6/12
CR - 8/99, 4/06............OKW - 6/09......AKV - 5/13
Poly - 6/02......................S&D - 8/05, 2/10, 6/10, 1/11
BCV - 6/02, 4/07......................POR - 12/04
BWV- 12/08, 4/09, 5/13, 12/13...HBC - 6/10, 3/11, 6/12
SSR (1st trip Home) & BCV - 4/05, 12/06, 1/10
Many others before our family!
ascardino is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2010, 01:56 PM   #948
Mosca
Mouseketeer

Far, far, far and away, the best advice we ever got was advice that someone gave us before we went for the first time, when we were confused and overwhelmed and trying to plan everything down to the last step:

Relax. Don't try to see everything all at once, or in one trip. It will still be there next year. Take your time, maximize the experience, have fun. If you miss something, oh well; there will be something else just as amazing right around the corner.

We're heading back for trip #9 in June, and I have to say that this was the best advice we ever got.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:12 PM   #949
DisneyDarling212
Disney Darling

If you go on a water ride bring watershoes or crocs they are the best shoes to wear.
Also if you didnt try the plaza it is really good but the only thing is the bathrooms are nextdoor.

Last edited by DisneyDarling212; 03-29-2010 at 03:29 PM.
DisneyDarling212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:40 AM   #950
gonesaleing
Mouseketeer

my favorites

1. Shipping food down ahead of time
2. Moleskin
3. Plan intensively and once you arrive, throw it all out the window and fly by the seat of your pants. Keep a daily log of what you did and when. Helps for next trip.
4. Understand that weather determines the days agenda more than anything else. Overcast means AK, hot means water park, sunny means early morning park, afternoon pool, after dinner park, rain means ponchos and a can-do spirit.
4. Listen to your body...when you are tired, rest. When you are rested, play. 5. Ice pack on the feet works wonders for reviving them.
6. Embrace your inner tourist, Roll with the punches, Be in the moment.
gonesaleing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:24 AM   #951
starlionblue
Recovering Disney addict but still failing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post

Relax. Don't try to see everything all at once, or in one trip. It will still be there next year. Take your time, maximize the experience, have fun. If you miss something, oh well; there will be something else just as amazing right around the corner.
I'm sorry but I beg to disagree somewhat there. "It will still be there next year." Disney is always tearing down the things I love and replacing it with fad rides (think Lilo and Stitch or Nemo). You never know if that ride will be gone next time you come. I miss 20,000 LUTS, the OLD version of the Star Jets, Journey into Imagination (the new one is a shameful "update"), If you had wings and World of Motion. Now, considering the popularity of "Cars" I cannot believe they never put in a bumper car ride with the Cars characters. I thought that was going to happen for sure. Oh, and World Showcase needs to be totally redone. It's ancient and boring compared with the other parts of the park.
My choices:
old attraction/ replacement
Norway/ Sweden
Mexico/ Argentina (hey, my dad says that they make the best steaks south of Texas!)
China/ New Zealand (why not, "Lord of the Rings" was that country's greatest contribution to Hollywood!)
Japan/ Malaysia
Germany/ Switzerland (Swiss-German theme is best)
Italy/ Belgium
England/ Ireland! (we gotta have an excuse to put in a pub!)
Morocco/ Dubai or Bahrain
Canada/ Bermuda or some Caribbean island nation
France/ Holland (please calm down, that does NOT mean Mickey should be selling you-know-what!)
starlionblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:33 AM   #952
KittyJSS
Earning My Ears

Always take advantage of early park entry for Disney resort guests, you get to ride the big rides before the crowds get there. I remember riding the TZTOT at MGM four times in a row. Then, after a few hours at the park, return to your resort for lunch and a well-needed break then go back to the park later in the afternoon. That way you will avoid the most crowded times of the day and you will be well rested for the evening.
WDW first trip 1980, 1982, 1986-First EPCOT visit, 1988, 1989-First Disney MGM Studio's Visit, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1994, 1995--AllStar Music, 1996-Caribbean Beach Resort, New Year's 1997--Dixie Landings Resort, 2000--First visit to Animal Kingdom.
KittyJSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:45 PM   #953
TR_WDW
Earning My Ears

extra magic hours

We took advice from some friends during our last trip, instead of going to the park that had the evening extra magic hours; we went to another park that night. Seemed to work well with my DD & DS, 11 & 14.
TR_WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 03:36 PM   #954
Mosca
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlionblue View Post
I'm sorry but I beg to disagree somewhat there. "It will still be there next year." Disney is always tearing down the things I love and replacing it with fad rides (think Lilo and Stitch or Nemo). You never know if that ride will be gone next time you come. I miss 20,000 LUTS, the OLD version of the Star Jets, Journey into Imagination (the new one is a shameful "update"), If you had wings and World of Motion. Now, considering the popularity of "Cars" I cannot believe they never put in a bumper car ride with the Cars characters. I thought that was going to happen for sure. Oh, and World Showcase needs to be totally redone. It's ancient and boring compared with the other parts of the park.
Yeah, I know. My attitude means that in 8 trips (our 9th is what brought me here), we've never seen the Hoop-de-doo, never eaten at Le Cellier, etc. But OTOH it means we've never been disappointed that we've missed them, either. I can get pretty wrapped up type A sometimes. And I get travel anxieties before leaving, anxieties about missing flights and connections and forgetting things. Hakuna matata at WDW keeps me sane.

Growing up in the 60s, our family vacations were always somewhere desolate: the very southern tip of Hatteras, or Chappaquiddick, places where there were no neighbors. For the first 9 years my wife and I were married ('89 through '98) I resisted the idea of going to a theme park. Then in '98 I won/earned through work an all-expenses paid week at WDW/The Grand Floridian, and it was all over. But I had to turn my work personality off, and my vacation personality on, or it would never have been a vacation for me. Hakunua matata. Mahalo. irie, soon come. Chillin', friend, chillin'. Look at the beautiful topiary!

Our girl is 18 now, and will be home from her first year at college! She's got a friend in Florida, we're hoping that she invites her over for a day or two, but if not that's cool too.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:10 PM   #955
toniosmom
AKV, BCV, BLT Owner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
Far, far, far and away, the best advice we ever got was advice that someone gave us before we went for the first time, when we were confused and overwhelmed and trying to plan everything down to the last step:

We're heading back for trip #9 in June, and I have to say that this was the best advice we ever got.
I wholeheartedly agree. I have a special needs son and our "whatever" trips are the best ever. I keep in the back of my mind the things I really want to see, but if I don't -- no sweat. I'll be back within a year to try again. If it's gone, I don't worry about it. Like you said, there will be something else just as amazing right around the corner.

1974 - Offsite 1976 - Offsite 1997 - Dixie Landings 1998 - Offsite 2008 - All Star Movies - Became new DVC member! March 2009 - SSR - First DVC Vacation!
March 2010 - AKV-Kidani Dec 2010 - BLT Christmas Trip April 2011 - BCV Nov 2011- BWV/DCL Dream March 2013 - BLT/DCL Dream April 2014 - VGF/DCL Dream Sept 2014 - VWL
toniosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:56 PM   #956
D&DDisney
Don't you get it?? You see the hat?? I'm Mrs. Nesbit!!!
I was in another swap

1. Go to Dollar Store and buy a bag of sponges. Cut in half or quarters. Pour a small amt. of dish soap on each and let dry completely. Put these in zip lock bag to use for washing refill mugs or other dishes in sink.

2. Pack individual zip lock bags of cereal and a plastic spoon. Eat cereal right out of bag in morning.

3. Pack a collapsable cooler and fill large zip lock bags of ice in morning. Cover cooler w/ extra blanket or pillow from room to insulate. When you return at night, everything will stay cold and you can just dump water w/o having it leak all over cooler.

4. Buy 1/2 gal of milk in gift shop at resort. Much cheaper than buying individual smaller milks. Use in room cups for drinking.

"I really don't dislike Danica Patrick" ~JOCAmom
D&DDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:04 PM   #957
dizzie1
Earning My Ears

Sure it has been said, but $1 Coleman ponchos at Target or WalMart are a win! And now they come in colors other than hunter orange!
dizzie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:06 PM   #958
dizzie1
Earning My Ears

Oh, also - have flip flops or sandals for rain. Boy, those Florida rains can really come down.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:07 PM   #959
dizzie1
Earning My Ears

They're flooding back to me. Also - try to avoid a park on days it has extended hours.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:26 PM   #960
Mosca
Mouseketeer

Go to Epcot early in the week because it has the most walking; go to MGM (Hollywood, whatever) last because it has the least walking.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: