Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2009, 12:49 PM   #796
sunnyday123
Someone hand me my drool towel
I think my eyes were crossed for a week

My favorite is going through the Rain Forest Cafe into AK. No one goes that entrance.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:16 PM   #797
mareed
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicki.momof3 View Post
Totally disagree that you will want to spend more than one day (or less) at epcot with young children. We went with 6 children ages 3-8 last year and all of them founf epcot the least interesting. AK was fun and so was DHS.
I think that Epcot depends on what kind of kids you have and what sort of a family you are. We've always spent the most time at Epcot from the time my kids were 2 & 5 on their first trip to now when they're 10 & 13! But, I admit that we're a math, science, "learning is fun" kind of a family! Our kids are likely destined to be somewhat geeks with an engineer & a computer programmer/analyst for parents!

We're not likely to be visiting any of the countries in "real life" and the exposure via the shops, movies, etc at Epcot is enjoyable for all of us.

With Epcot, I think the kids will follow the parents' lead. If parents think it's boring, then the kids will too!
DCL Magic: Nov 12, Mar 13 - Wonder: Sept/Nov 13, Feb 14 B2B
RC Cruise: Jun 14

mareed is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-16-2009, 07:37 AM   #798
cuvcu
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicki.momof3 View Post
Totally disagree that you will want to spend more than one day (or less) at epcot with young children. We went with 6 children ages 3-8 last year and all of them founf epcot the least interesting. AK was fun and so was DHS.

As I stated, children "under 3" would enjoy the sights, sounds and the activities available to them at Epcot. Besides the characters and shows (maybe a few amusement rides) at DHS, a child under three would not enjoy it as much as Epcot. There they can run aroud, play in the water spouts, eat pretty much anything they want, see characters with little wait times, enjoy the aquarium, enjoy the amusement rides (esp nemo), etc. Keep in mind any child under three likes, what I feel, the simpler things at Disney not what you as an adult may enjoy. We had to step away from what we wanted to do with our children, which are under three years of age, and let them do what they wanted--even if it is watching the same parades twice a day.
cuvcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:39 AM   #799
cuvcu
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mareed View Post
I think that Epcot depends on what kind of kids you have and what sort of a family you are. We've always spent the most time at Epcot from the time my kids were 2 & 5 on their first trip to now when they're 10 & 13! But, I admit that we're a math, science, "learning is fun" kind of a family! Our kids are likely destined to be somewhat geeks with an engineer & a computer programmer/analyst for parents!

We're not likely to be visiting any of the countries in "real life" and the exposure via the shops, movies, etc at Epcot is enjoyable for all of us.

With Epcot, I think the kids will follow the parents' lead. If parents think it's boring, then the kids will too!

Ditto
cuvcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:30 AM   #800
OffKilterMom
Earning My Ears

Epcot loving Family !

Hi all. My kids...and this is truth!...both say that Epcot is their favorite park! All their favorite attractions are there... and we DID get chosen as Family of the Day once...which sort of put Epcot over the top for them.

So here's my fave tip...ROPE DROP! Be there early and get it all done by lunch. It works best at a park with EMH evenings. No one goes in am, and by lunch when they're all showing up you go home and swim. Come back later for EMH, like after dinner, and the crowds have thinned again. And the pools are practically "to yourself" in the afternoon, cause everyone else is at the park...in the heat!
Works almost every time.

Oh yes, when we were picked for FOTD at Epcot, we were standing to the far right, at the rope, heading straight for the Land pavilion and "Soarin". That's where the guy chose us...if anyone wants to try it!
OffKilterMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:00 PM   #801
Puget Peach
Hello, my name is Puget Peach and I'm a Disneyholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyday123 View Post
My favorite is going through the Rain Forest Cafe into AK. No one goes that entrance.
I do! I do! Love it!!!!
Old 10-18-2009, 06:01 PM   #802
tamimouse
Mouseketeer

A friend gave me this idea: I brought an emergency blanket to keep us warm at Fantasmic. It is a tiny tinfoil blanket that i carried in my pocket. My DD12 balked at using it when i took it out, but as the night grew cooler, she was covering up with it.

WL March 2012
WL June 2011, Nov 2010, June 2010
Poly Jan 2010
WL Feb 2009
POP 2008, 2007, 2006
Off-site 2004, 2002
tamimouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:37 AM   #803
quantumottle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumottle View Post
Standing riiiiiight where Robo's map tells me to stand during Wishes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybound31 View Post
Which is where exactly?
Why it's right here:

I hope Robo doesn't mind me posting one of his incredible pics!
You can see all of Robo's maps at StitchKingdom.com.
quantumottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:42 PM   #804
Wicket's Mom
DIS Veteran

I got the Bagglatinni purse that was recommended, to use the snack credit for pastry for breakfast, & Picnic at AK. I have been to WDW many times, but after reading the DIS boards I found out so many new things & ideas that made our trip wonderful.
(url)http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3050319
It Was the Best of Times & the Worst, But It Was the Best Trip Evah!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2811518
Wicket's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:58 AM   #805
LWatson
I Still Do!!!!

Okay can someone fill me in as to what Family of the Day is?

Feb 2009-Shades of Green R&R, Nov 2009-All Star Sports Welcome Home, May 2010-Shades of Green,Jan 2011-POP Boy's Birthday Trip
April 2012- Shades of Green Vow Renewal/POP Welcome Home, Feb 2013-Universal/Disney 10yr Anniversary Getaway at Westgate Lakes and Spa
LWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:58 AM   #806
SIMJUN
Mouseketeer

spare laces

pack spare laces for sneakers and take them into the park with you - you may not need them, but you will be glad that you have them if you do.

We always eat a good breakfast, then just have a snack during the day and dinner at night.

when you go into Magic Kiingdom head to Tomorrow Land and go around the park that way, most people start off by turning left into Adventureland.

Don't waste time criss crossing the park, it will tire you out more quickly. Whether you start in Adventureland or Tomorrowland, ride all the rides and see all the things in each land before moving on.

In hot weather, look for a spot on the parade route that is in front of a doorway to a store and has a tree, that way you will get a little shade and benefit fromt he cool air from the stores. (this tip came from a cast member last year)

If there are two parades on the days you are there, plan to watch one, then ride or shop during the other.

If you have young kids, buy a postcard before you leave, and mail it to your kids from the park, write it as though it is from their favourite character. A few days after you arrive home, they will be thrilled to receive a postcard from their favourite character.

If you stay on property and you buy souvenirs in the parks, have them sent to your resort/room.
SIMJUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:25 PM   #807
cadchick
Earning My Ears

Cool My God, that's a lot of walking!

When our kids were 6 and 9 and we were planning our trip to Disney, someone told us that you can expect to walk somewhere between 6 to 8 miles a day covering a park like the Magic Kingdom. Wow! That sounded like a lot for me and my husband let alone our two young children and we were planning on staying 8 days. Since we were still nearly 4 months out we put everyone on a walking regiment to build up our ability to keep going, especially in the muggy month of June. We started out with 1/2 mile walks five times a week until we reached 4 mile walks three times a week. Yes, my kids bitterly complained in the beginning, espcially since we started walking when there was still snow here on the ground in Michigan. But the incentive was always Disney. I promised them as long as we still had energy at Disney we would keep going. My husband and myself had often discussed how frazzled so many people look around 5pm in the park. Well you would look pretty bad too if you just covered eight miles in a few hours and you were unprepared for the physical strain of it all. Our walking time really paid off. We decided to enter the park later in the day on most days and we park hopped and enjoyed extended hours. Disney rocks at 1 am in the morning!
cadchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:28 PM   #808
Donna
Where Magic Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcbLovesMickey View Post
We purchase "Disney Dollars" from our local Disney Store long before the trip and our son "earns" them for doing chores, good grades, etc. When we get to the park he has his own special money to spend. It teaches him about saving and budgeting.
This used to be a great idea but Disney Store is no longer selling Disney Dollars, which I think, is a huge mistake. I believe you can still get them at Guest Relations at the parks.

iluvwdw on twitter/Donna Schoen Sharick on FB
http://iluvwdwdd.blogspot.com/ Dec.Trip Report http://iluvwdw.wordpress.com/
My new pups, Cassie & Sandie
My 50th Birthday Trip
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:21 AM   #809
joesemo
Earning My Ears

If you are going to eat at the restaurants you should make the reservations as soon as possible, and I mean months in advance if possible.

We have gone to disney for years, and now we like to go to the different resorts for dinner and treat ourselves .

Some of the best restaurants like OHANA seem to be the hardest to get into, and even some inside the parks can be a hassle.

So when ever we go we like to get those dinner reservations done as we plan our daily treks around the properties.

If you are not a parade person then you will be glad to know that that is the best time to get on all those rides that you usually have to wait for.
joesemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:10 AM   #810
princessmom29
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesemo View Post
If you are going to eat at the restaurants you should make the reservations as soon as possible, and I mean months in advance if possible.

We have gone to disney for years, and now we like to go to the different resorts for dinner and treat ourselves .

Some of the best restaurants like OHANA seem to be the hardest to get into, and even some inside the parks can be a hassle.

So when ever we go we like to get those dinner reservations done as we plan our daily treks around the properties.

If you are not a parade person then you will be glad to know that that is the best time to get on all those rides that you usually have to wait for.
Absolutely make your dining ressies 180 days out. This is something I would not have known if not for the dis, and my 5 year old would not have been eating in the castle!!!!
princessmom29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: