Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2007, 11:18 AM   #181
ClaraBug
DIS Veteran

Great Ideas

Keep'em Coming

ClaraBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:38 AM   #182
perdidochas
DIS Veteran

The number one tip I got from this site was asking to ride in the front of the monorail with the pilot. We did this, and it added magic on our way to an early character breakfast. We have the co-pilot's license to prove it.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2007, 11:40 AM   #183
vickie_mara
Earning My Ears

A few tips...

Great tips, thanks everyone. I have a few that I would like to share:

Save $$ on food by packing a soft-sided cooler in your luggage. Arrange for towncar pick-up which usually includes a 30 minute grocery stop. Be sure to ask the driver if he has a "discount card" for the grocery store that you can use. When you get to your resort use the ice machine there to fill your cooler and place all refridgerated items in the cooler.

Pack each family members outfits in individual zip lock bags.

Purchase earplugs before the trip. We did not do this and had to leave "It's a bugs life" in AK for it was too loud for our 4 year old.

Check out the Cake Thread and preorder a cake at the restaraunt for which you have ADR's (I am surprising my DH with one at Chef Mickeys in May for our 16th wedding anniversery).

Mid-Afternoon breaks!!!! Do not try to do it and see it all. Our son was 4 when we took our last trip and his favorite things were the elevator and the pool at the resort! We would break from the parks each day for 2-3 hours and just hang out at the resort (and nap)!

I loved the karma post! Don't let grumpy people and crowds get you down...have fun!

November 1999 All Star Sports-
May 2001 All Star Movies
May 2007 POP
August 2012 POP

vickie_mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:34 PM   #184
DisneylandPlanner
Mouseketeer

Subscribing

Here you leave the world of
yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy
and enter today
DisneylandPlanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:19 PM   #185
PaMom001
Used to be good at dodging
You have piqued my interest and I'm heading over

Anyone have tips for traveling with a 2 year old?
Old 03-30-2007, 03:42 PM   #186
ClaraBug
DIS Veteran

The one tip I didn't see.....especially for the fair of skin.
We always re-apply sun block half way through the day. After sweating and wiping off the sweat, you remove the sunscreen too! That's usually when I burn, I by the sample bottle and carry that with me or if I can't find a sample bottle I will take an empty hotel shampoo bottle and squirt some in there.

ClaraBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 07:49 PM   #187
MomNeedsVacay
was my mom just weird?

subscribe
DD 7 -
DS- 4
I've been pickled! Thanks!
MomNeedsVacay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:10 AM   #188
srandsr76
Mouseketeer

Here are a few tips from our family to yours:

1. Plan a Disney Dinner Party: We normally go to WDW with my in laws (they are DVD members), so before our last trip my DD(3) and I planned a Disney themed dinner 1 week prior to going. We bought ALL different Disney themed plates, cups, napkins and even made Mickey ears for everyone. We invited my in laws and brother in law over for dinner and discussed all our final plans. DD(now 4) cannot wait to plan our Disney Dinner Party before going this year!!

2. FLIP FLOPS:We pack flip flops for everyone that wants to ride the water rides (Splash Mtn., Kali Rapids), put them in a large ziplock or plastic bag in bottom of stroller, then you can change into those before riding the water rides and don't have to walk around the rest of the day in WET SHOES and SOCKS!!!!

3. COUNTDOWN CHAIN: I always make, with DDs help a countdown chain, got this idea from Dis about 3 years ago before DD first trip. We get some Disney stickers and decorated each piece before looping them together. We will make one this time - usually about 30 days prior and tear one off everyday!! Lots of fun with a child, since they have not concept of time!!

4. Take Night Wand you have Previously Bought: We bought our DD a Tinkerbell light up wand the first time we went ($16.00) at MK before the SpectroMagic parade!! We take it with us everytime, just replace the batteries before going, and she doesn't ask for another night toy!!

5. Battery Operated Glow STICK: I found one at WalMart before our trip several years ago. It was RED and we hung it on the stroller at night before leaving it for shows or rides. When we came out we were able to find our stroller EASILY!! Usually the only one GLOWING!!! Saved us lots of time with a sleepy toddler!!

I will second many things that have been posted! Ziplock bags, pack kids clothes in bags for them to dress themselves in the am, breakfast in room, buy ponchos before you go, SUNSCREEN, visors/hats, extra suitcase and PLAN, PLAN, PLAN!!!

Hope I have helped someone!
Old 04-01-2007, 07:38 AM   #189
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

We are doing a Disney Movie Marathon. We have rented or rewatched the ones we have, all the Disney movies. Many DS9 hadnt seen since he was little and now DS4 is up on all his characters! We are doing this so that they are familiar with the characters and so DS4 will not be afraid. I dont think he will though becausue at Hershey Park he loved the characters and chased around Big Choclate Syrup Guy!!!!!
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 04:06 PM   #190
tictoc
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
How far did you have to go to get copies made? are there copiers on the resort?

Thanks.
You can also just write the number down. I always take a digital photo of ours. I also take a digital photo of our Photopass and daily parking aisle.

Tropical Storm Ernesto and I are Going to WDW for my Birthday! September 2006 http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1209670

Me DH DS 18 DS 16 DD 11

tictoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 05:28 PM   #191
emerymt
Mouseketeer

One tip I got years ago from the DIS boards was to do a countdown with as many plastic Disney toys (the little kind that come with kids' meals) as you can find. I put a big bobble-headed Mickey up for the day we leave and count backwards from there, lining them up in a long row. The kids get to take down a toy each day. Actually, this is the only reason we still have these toys & we have about 45 of them. Soon I'll get to put 'em up.

Of course, the best thing is not to tell your kids they're going (but it's too late for that tip for us now)! I planned our family's first trip to Hawaii that way- not even DH knew (but his office did )- until I woke everybody up at 4am to go catch a plane.

They could not believe it- what a day! I highly recommend that if you can pull it off!
Old 04-01-2007, 09:21 PM   #192
maidenfairy
If only I wasn't married and he wasn't gay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraBug View Post
The one tip I didn't see.....especially for the fair of skin.
We always re-apply sun block half way through the day. After sweating and wiping off the sweat, you remove the sunscreen too! That's usually when I burn, I by the sample bottle and carry that with me or if I can't find a sample bottle I will take an empty hotel shampoo bottle and squirt some in there.
The same people who make swimmie diapers now make a little fish shaped sticker that you can stick to your skin and it will change to bright orange when you need more sunscreen.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:59 AM   #193
deb123453
Mouseketeer

one thing i found out was about the fridge swap (on the budget board) it saves abundle of money and having a fridge in your room is great.
deb123453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:31 AM   #194
Neoshoegal
would rather be in Walt Disney World

Thank you so much for all the tips!

I brought some extra sunscreen in a small stick. Lifesaver as I burn easily.

As others have said, keep some band aids with you!

Unofficial Guide: it was my Disney bible

No WDW trip planned at the moment
Previous trips:
3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, November 2010
2 Weeks of fun fun FUN at the SSR, October/November 2010
2 Weeks of Celebrating our Wedding Anniversary at SSR, September 2009
Cruise, Convention and Disney, staying at Wilderness Lodge Villas, Yacht Club and off site, January 2009
My 30th birthday, staying at Port Orleans Riverside, June 2008
Husband's 30th birthday, staying off site, March 2006
Neoshoegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:35 PM   #195
KKB
DIS Veteran

You guys rock!

OK...DH & I REFUSE to wear fanny packs & don't really want to carry anything around...BUT I COULD put fanny packs on the kids! DH wears cargo shorts, so I can slip the camera in a zip loc baggie in his pocket....
maybe even a couple of ponchos!!!

Now I just need Tevas or Keens so don't need to carry flip flops..and start breaking those babies in!

Staying at POP...got in on fridge/coffee maker swap...so breakfasts in room (kids will LOVE that they can have pop tarts/cereal bars! I'll stick w/ Zone bars, I guess...hey, as long as I get my coffee!)

Water...again, I don't wanna carry ANYTHING, so we will ask at counters for free.

Take left line at rides...got it.

Lunch...order kids meal OR a double burger w/ an extra bun.
Dinner...dunno, usually eat counter meals; one or two nicer meals just for fun.

BEER...order from somewhere??!! REFUSE to pay Disney prices! (guessing we're gonna need one or two at the end of most days...! )

ME, still free, cool.

Staying on site...got 40% off POP, no rental car expense, looking forward to ALL the Disney Magic for the first trip for the kids (OK, DS1 was 6 mos. last time..don't think that really counts!)

DS2 is an animal FREAK, so thinking we can get a half-day of free entertainment just checking out AKL...just couldn't stomach $500 extra, even at 40% off...still needed 2 rooms for the 5 of us plus Mom.

Passporter & unofficial guide are the BOMB...thinking of checking out Touring Mike just cuz I am a trip research freak!

Biggest question...park Hopper, or not. Will add $250 to trip...probably will avoid EMH, but what if we get to a crowded park...is it worth that much $ to be able to change??!!

GREAT tips, thanks for the ideas! (do you realize this thread started like 2 years ago! WOW!)
9/5-9/13/09 WDW POP (same crew...plus my dad!w/ FREE DDP!! WOO HOO!)
KKB is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: