Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #1906
hcipi
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStarryHat View Post
We'd never taken a first aid kit on any of our trips other than band-aids (I know, what were we thinking?!). On our last rip, on a whim my sister made one up with tape, gauze, band-aids, moleskin, and Neosporin. I poo-pooed it as she packed it. You guessed it. On our first day I had a ginormous Blister Emergency, a huge on right on my instep. That kit saved my vacation!

The two tips I'm really glad I listened to would be:

1. Make sure to bring Tums or some such other stomach remedy. You get exposed to so much food and so much of a variety that you might not eat at home. Plus you go on rides right after.

2. As soon as I start planning a vacation to WDW, I start throwing all my loose change in an old coffee can. I started this time this past September when I started saving up for the trip, and now I have over a hundred dollars saved towards the spending money and it's only April for a December trip.

We have a giant bottle that is labeled "the disney fund" we all put loose change in all the time, but when a trip has been booked and the planning starts we bump it up:
I use a 5 or 10 to pay for stuff even if I have exact change...the dollar bills go in the fund!
When we are out and the kids want something stupid I say "wouldn't you rather we put it in the Disney fund?" Then when we return home...yep the money goes in...
We skip a take out night and then put it in...yep you guess it "The Disney fund".
The best part is rolling into the change machine..the kids love this part because the money gets split among us all for spending money or a disney gift card for each kid....

Love this board thanks to all who offer GREAT ideas!!!1

hcipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #1907
hcipi
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneymama01 View Post
I have bought the 5 dollar ones from target in past years and have never had issues with them leaking. I wont go without the misting ones in that heat

I have found great ones that don't leak.
"O2 Carabiner Misting fans" is the brand name and they are hand held with a carabiner clip to go on your lanyard if you want. They don't hold alot of water but you can refill easyand so much easier to carry than the bigger ones.

I keep my kids color coded on everything (calendars, easter eggs for hunts, and other items even though they are older now it still works) I have blue for my older son, green for the next and pink for my daughter. -no fighting!!

Reasonable priced so if they leave water in it and the batteries and it gets ruined I have bought a new one easily.

I just checked amazon and they have them, I was not sure if I could include a link but they were about 4.50 per fan with different colors.

They work!!!! We are summer Disney people...not by choice but they work!!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-10-2013, 05:05 PM   #1908
jjsmom
DIS Veteran

I've found for my family the Pepto Bismol caplets are a life saver. That's just us of course... no taste like Tums or similar antacids. If your kids can swallow them I've found these pills take up no space and cure all stomach ills, real and imagined. They work great on reflux! And for me and some other grown-ups in my party...*ahem*....they are great when we've "overindulged" in distilled libations. Just saying.
jjsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #1909
splashmtnfan
Mouseketeer

The ones I tell EVERYONE about!

I tell EVERYONE about FREE ICE water at all Disney Counter Service and Drink stands that use cups and ICE! It's FREE! I used to take frozen bottles of water until my brother sent me an email years ago about the dangers of drinking water that has been in a hot car OR frozen in those bottles! So when I saw the tip about FREE ICE water I was SUPER happy! So now no more lugging around heavy water bottles!

Next one is to stand on the bridge by Tomorrowland near the castle to see Tinkerbell come flying over you during Wishes!

Oh also the Shoe Organizer over the door for bathroom essentials! I even use this tip while cruising!
Old 05-12-2013, 07:10 AM   #1910
dochampagne
Earning My Ears

Decorated stroller

We decorated my grand-daughters stroller with Christmas tinsel and battery
operated Christmas lights. You cannot imagine how much this helped out. Many times your stroller will be moved by an attendant during a during or a show. We were able to find ours right away and not waste any time. Can't wait to dress it up for Halloween this year. Bring extra batteries.
dochampagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #1911
hcipi
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsmom View Post
I've found for my family the Pepto Bismol caplets are a life saver. That's just us of course... no taste like Tums or similar antacids. If your kids can swallow them I've found these pills take up no space and cure all stomach ills, real and imagined. They work great on reflux! And for me and some other grown-ups in my party...*ahem*....they are great when we've "overindulged" in distilled libations. Just saying.
Just a heads up...Pepto has asprin in it...not good for kids but they do make a kids pepto in chewable which works the same!!
I got food poisoning last trip from Living Seas....I wish I had Pepto with me then!!

Old 05-16-2013, 03:44 PM   #1912
DizFanSLD
Mouseketeer

For those who are talking about taking a Surge Protector, I just found a terrific one on Amazon. It is called a PowerSquid, and instead of a strip, it is a unit with a central base, and 5 separate outlets that come out on cords so that you don't have to worry about large plug boxes covering up the other outlets on the strip. I am getting a slightly upgraded one that has full surge protection built in, because it would really stink to have all of our devices fried at once due to one unlucky surge, and even so, it is still under $20. I will be using it next week - Whoopie!
Old 05-17-2013, 08:18 AM   #1913
tbia
Mouseketeer

My tip:

Mio or other water flavorer.

DDs, 9, 3, and 1 get tired of water water water. Just a squirt and they are living large.
tbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #1914
dawgem
Earning My Ears

an old British Army trick: turn a pair of socks inside out and rub them with a dry bar of plain soap, paying special attention to the areas where your feet are likely to rub. Then turn the socks right side out again and put them on. The soap should help prevent chafing (and perhaps keep your socks smelling nice, too).
dawgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:57 AM   #1915
jmorrisey1204
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanktz View Post

They also do this for POP (the only value resort they do this for). But I haven't been since AoA opened. Do they also deliver to AoA, or is it still only POP?
AOA you can pick up from the gift shop
jmorrisey1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #1916
pthuhges2
Disney Geek

Thumbs up to tripit. forwarding confirmation emails and having themappwar in my itinerary, plus the calendar feed lets others see the itinerary too. Priceless!
Grand Floridian Honeymoon (Jan 1998) off-site (10/2000) Disney Institute (5/2002) Swan (10/2004) AKL/Wonder 3-Day (2/2008) DLP New York (6/2008) Wonder Mexican Riviera (4/2011) ...and too many trips to Disneyland to count.
Club Member #149
pthuhges2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:39 AM   #1917
Stitch407
Florida Mouseketeer

Glue. Bringing glue. Sounds weird, but we always have to E6000 something on a trip 0.o

And ride lines wait times posted are usually shorter than posted. TSM once said 85 minutes; we only waited 45. The only exception is when you see a large group get in line in front of you.
Stitch407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:46 AM   #1918
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...

Owners locker! Coming from UK every year it's worth it's weight in gold! Also RoadID bands. Shoe organiser was a first this year after reading about it on disboards. Loving it! In fact my Cath Kidston shoe organiser we used for the bathroom has gone in the owners locker for next time. I also bought one for the rental car!
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 2008, Saratoga The Springs 2009, Saratoga The Springs 2010, Saratoga The Paddocks 2011, Disney Dream 2011, Saratoga The Grandstand 2012, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL Kidani Village 2013, Saratoga 2013 , VWL 2013, Disney Dream 2013, ASMu 2014, Saratoga 2014, AKV 2014, BCV 2014, Disney Dream 2014, VGF 2014

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Paula Sedley-Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:54 PM   #1919
ZoZo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcipi View Post
I have found great ones that don't leak.
"O2 Carabiner Misting fans" is the brand name and they are hand held with a carabiner clip to go on your lanyard if you want. They don't hold alot of water but you can refill easyand so much easier to carry than the bigger ones.
They often carry these at Walmart seasonally (spring/summer) They're only about $4. Found them in the hardware section by the floor fans, on an "end cap" display.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:08 PM   #1920
ZoZo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDis View Post
Pretty sure I read this on this post, but here goes anyway. I'm taking two surge suppressor strips on our trip next month. With five adults, we'll all have a phone to charge, as well as a camera battery or two plus a laptop. The easy to find outlets will come in handy.
This is a great tip! I actually bring a "power squid" type of power strip. It usually fits more things than traditional power strips.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: