Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #1666
Canooknic
Mouseketeer

I'd probably say hot glue gun. If you bend the penny to the right shape first...unless you have a flat frame instead of a curved one obviously!!

POR Feb 6-14 2013
POR Feb 2-11 2014
Canooknic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:04 PM   #1667
Mickey 2013
Earning My Ears

What Disney Tip Are you really glad you listened to?

1-Make Character Dinner Meal Reservation!!!!
2-Plan,Plan & Plan!!!! you can never do to much of this.Plus makes the time go quicker for your trip.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #1668
Thumper_Man
DDC 684
Do we go left or to the second start on the right, straight on til morning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzfan1966 View Post
I had not seen an update on here that they had started enforcing that hour so it was a surprise.

It was also a surprise that they would print a time that you could get your next fastpass. The last time we went they only allowed you to get the second fastpass after the time on your first fastpass had come.
Really? Wow. The Dis blew up with so many threads about the FP enforcement the day this happened.

Hmm. As far as I've known, they've always printed when you get your next FP on the tickets. I'll have to look at DW's scrapbooks and see if its always been this way as to now you have me thinking.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:53 AM   #1669
guillep2k
Earning My Ears

Smile

OK... I've read ALL this thread up to here. It started on 2005, and it made me laugh to read posts like "OK, now I've finished all 38/51/93/etc. pages", knowing that there are 112 already. This is never gonna end, people!

Thank you all for the advices. They are GREAT!!!! After all these pages, I'm surprised I can still contribute with something I didn't read before: for motion sickness, try a hard candy (lemon works better). It works on rides, boats and buses. My DD used to get motion sickness on buses, and a honey-lemon candies worked like magic!
guillep2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:49 AM   #1670
Buzzfan1966
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper_Man View Post
Really? Wow. The Dis blew up with so many threads about the FP enforcement the day this happened.

Hmm. As far as I've known, they've always printed when you get your next FP on the tickets. I'll have to look at DW's scrapbooks and see if its always been this way as to now you have me thinking.

I started reading this the week before we went. I'm sure I missed some.

If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane.

Jimmy Buffett
Buzzfan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #1671
Buzzfan1966
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillep2k View Post
OK... I've read ALL this thread up to here. It started on 2005, and it made me laugh to read posts like "OK, now I've finished all 38/51/93/etc. pages", knowing that there are 112 already. This is never gonna end, people!

Thank you all for the advices. They are GREAT!!!! After all these pages, I'm surprised I can still contribute with something I didn't read before: for motion sickness, try a hard candy (lemon works better). It works on rides, boats and buses. My DD used to get motion sickness on buses, and a honey-lemon candies worked like magic!
Very interesting..............I'm trying to figure out why or how it works. The 3-D rides sometimes get to me so I would love to try this and see if it works.

Jimmy Buffett
Old 01-15-2013, 06:09 PM   #1672
Reddy
Scrapbooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvc at last ! View Post
Anyone have an idea - how to attach the pennies ?
glue dots or double side tape - look in a scrapbook section of craft stores
Old 01-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #1673
guillep2k
Earning My Ears

Lightbulb

I've just thought of another tip for non-americans like me that are not accustomed to the US tax system. There's lots of apps for Android or iPhone that do currency conversions, but a few of them accept custom currencies for which you can program your own conversion rate (I have Android and use Currency Converter from Halmi.sk). What I do is program a new currency ("UST") that is 1.065 times the US dollar and it converts all my prices tax included! You can even create a tipping currency (i.e., with an added 15~18%) to calculate how much the meal is gonna cost you from the price shown on the menu.

Note 1: In countries with VAT, the labeled price is usually final; in the US, the labeled price usually gets an additional amount in concept of sales tax that is added later when you actually pay.

Note 2: "1.065" times anything is the price plus the 6.5% tax you usually pay in Orlando.

Note 3: Please bear in mind that not everything you pay in the Orlando area will get a 6.5% sales tax; there are some things that get a higher rate (hotels, I believe).
guillep2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:06 PM   #1674
bellamicia
Earning My Ears

Jedi Training Academy ?...and a couple of ideas...

We're going toWDW in April for 3 days. This will be my first trip there since 1983. My DS loves Star Wars, so I'm hoping to get to to DHS at rope drop to get him into the Jedi Training Academy. Does anyone know if you need to have your park ticket in- hand in order to sign up for the academy? I was hoping to send my DH and DD to get fastpasses for Toy Story for all of us while my DS and myself are going through the sign up process. On to ideas...( I've gotten so many great ones on here...)
1. I have 3 VERY picky eaters(DS,DD,AND DH!). After having some not-so-happy experiences at other theme parks trying to find the vendors that carry something they will eat(all while dealing with a bunch of hangry grumps!), I had to come up with a system this time. We are on the DDP, so I'm mostly concerned about CS when we are in the parks. I have studied the menus for the CS eateries at the parks, and written the rest. name and suitable menu items on
post-its. I color-coded them by area(frontierland,tomorrowland,world showcase, etc.), laminated them with packing tape, punched a hole in the corner, and put them on a keyring. I'll stick this on my bag so that wherever we find ourselves when the kids get hungry, I can grab a little card and know exactly where to go and what to order. A little OCD for sure, but it took about 10min to put together, and will hopefully help me avoid some meltdowns(....and save time!)
2. For those collecting pressed pennies, I saw a home decor magazine idea that I think would be pretty cool. They used regular pennies to "tile" the top of a coffee table and end table. The effect was stunning. If you've gone to disney a lot, this would be a pretty cool way to keep them on display. Glue the pennies on, and then lacquer over the whole thing. I you have A LOT of pressed pennies, you can also do this on your floors. I saw it done once(with reg. pennies) in an upscale store and it was BEAUTIFUL! How cool would a disney pressed penny floor be? It might be more doable for a small entryway/foyer. Anyhow, thanks for all of the tips...I'll be using many on my upcoming trip. I hope my next one after this is a bit sooner than 30 years!
bellamicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #1675
gracer9977
Happiness is Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamicia View Post
We're going toWDW in April for 3 days. This will be my first trip there since 1983. My DS loves Star Wars, so I'm hoping to get to to DHS at rope drop to get him into the Jedi Training Academy. Does anyone know if you need to have your park ticket in- hand in order to sign up for the academy? I was hoping to send my DH and DD to get fastpasses for Toy Story for all of us while my DS and myself are going through the sign up process. On to ideas...( I've gotten so many great ones on here...)
1. I have 3 VERY picky eaters(DS,DD,AND DH!). After having some not-so-happy experiences at other theme parks trying to find the vendors that carry something they will eat(all while dealing with a bunch of hangry grumps!), I had to come up with a system this time. We are on the DDP, so I'm mostly concerned about CS when we are in the parks. I have studied the menus for the CS eateries at the parks, and written the rest. name and suitable menu items on
post-its. I color-coded them by area(frontierland,tomorrowland,world showcase, etc.), laminated them with packing tape, punched a hole in the corner, and put them on a keyring. I'll stick this on my bag so that wherever we find ourselves when the kids get hungry, I can grab a little card and know exactly where to go and what to order. A little OCD for sure, but it took about 10min to put together, and will hopefully help me avoid some meltdowns(....and save time!)
2. For those collecting pressed pennies, I saw a home decor magazine idea that I think would be pretty cool. They used regular pennies to "tile" the top of a coffee table and end table. The effect was stunning. If you've gone to disney a lot, this would be a pretty cool way to keep them on display. Glue the pennies on, and then lacquer over the whole thing. I you have A LOT of pressed pennies, you can also do this on your floors. I saw it done once(with reg. pennies) in an upscale store and it was BEAUTIFUL! How cool would a disney pressed penny floor be? It might be more doable for a small entryway/foyer. Anyhow, thanks for all of the tips...I'll be using many on my upcoming trip. I hope my next one after this is a bit sooner than 30 years!
Welcome to the Dis!!!! How exciting to be going for the first time in so many years.

I really like your idea about the color coded CS cards. I am a very picky eater as are my two kids so this would be a great resource to have. I am totally going to do this. That way I will know exactly what is available and where it is.

The penny idea is really awesome too. Although I have a lot of pressed pennies from our last 2 trips I don't have enough to do an end table or coffee table, yet. Maybe that will change after this coming trip.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:55 AM   #1676
lucifie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamicia View Post
I love these ideas, but if you do that you can never get rid of the table or move because then you would have to give up the pennies. Of course, then you have an excuse to go to Disney. LOL
Old 01-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #1677
Buzzfan1966
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracer9977 View Post
Welcome to the Dis!!!! How exciting to be going for the first time in so many years.

I really like your idea about the color coded CS cards. I am a very picky eater as are my two kids so this would be a great resource to have. I am totally going to do this. That way I will know exactly what is available and where it is.

The penny idea is really awesome too. Although I have a lot of pressed pennies from our last 2 trips I don't have enough to do an end table or coffee table, yet. Maybe that will change after this coming trip.
I've decided to do something pretty simple with my pennies from our last trip................I'm going to get a large frame and get a piece of mat board with 2 holes cut in it. One side, I'll put a piece of pretty scrapbook paper with the pennies glued on and one side I'll have a picture from the trip.

Jimmy Buffett
Old 01-18-2013, 06:00 PM   #1678
LSK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfortin16 View Post
Every ride puts you into a gift shop and "Mommy can I have this?" gets tiring and/or expensive. We told our little ones the first day, if you see something you'd like- put it on "the list." We take a picture of it and make note of where we saw it. Towards the end of the trip, we looked back at all the wanted souvenirs and let each child pick their favorite. This saved lots of money and tears and they got the souvenir which they really loved.

We're returning to WDW on 7/13/13- this time at the villas in Kidani Village. So excited!!!
I had the same problem with my kids and I really got tired of having to say "no" all day when we're supposed to be having fun. So, last trip each kid got a Disney Gift Card to use however they wanted. They would see something they wanted, ask if they could have it, and I would just ask them if they wanted their gift card. I was shocked at how often they'd think about it and then decide they didn't want the item after all.

It also turned into a great math lesson and a lesson on factoring tax into the price of the item. Both kids still love the souvenirs they purchased and I love not being the bad guy at the end of every ride!
Old 01-19-2013, 12:43 AM   #1679
Calirya
Cali meets her 'Rella for the 1st time Nov 13!

Subscribing! These are fantastic!!
Calirya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:34 AM   #1680
hallienicole
Mouseketeer

Bring your own spray misters! They are super expensive at the park and pretty cheap if you buy them at home.
Disneyland:Oct '01 (Good Neighbor Hotel), June '07 (Tropicana Inn & Suites), June '08 (Tropicana Inn & Suites), Oct. '08 (Camelot Inn and Suites), June '10 (Disneyland Hotel), Jan '12 (Best Western Park Place Inn), April '13 (Carousel Inn & Suites) October '14 (Paradise Pier Hotel)
WDW: June '09 (Sheraton Vistana Villages Villas), Jan '11 (Caribbean Beach Resort), Aug '12 (Beach Club), Jan '14 (Wilderness Lodge)
hallienicole is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: