Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #1546
SLamott1973
Earning My Ears

Just got back on 11/10 ...Taking a small fleece blanket to either sit on or cover up with at night while waiting for Wishes to start! Perfect!!

10/2014 Wilderness Lodge
11/2012 Wilderness lodge
4/2011 CBR
SLamott1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:57 PM   #1547
ZoZo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv0fDisney View Post
I was glad to hear about the fact you can leave your purchases for the cast members to bring back to your room.

Also here's a tip from me.
"Put the yellow disney resort stickers on your luggage the night before."
FYI, you can have purchases sent back to your resort's gift shop, but not to your room. They stopped sending purchases to individual guests' rooms several years ago. Now they send them to the gift shop at your resort, where you can pick them up the next day.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-19-2012, 06:40 AM   #1548
Chaoticsweetness
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoZo

FYI, you can have purchases sent back to your resort's gift shop, but not to your room. They stopped sending purchases to individual guests' rooms several years ago. Now they send them to the gift shop at your resort, where you can pick them up the next day.
Also if you are only taking a day trip & go shopping, you can send your purchases to the Front Gate & pick them up when you leave for the day. My Aunt does this every time at MK, she loves shopping on Main Street.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:52 AM   #1549
Wests4Disney
Mouseketeer

subbing, want to find the list later...good tips so far
Old 11-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #1550
lvcourtneyy
DIS Veteran

My tip, although on the less practical/vital side, is NOT to wear ripped jeans to WDW. Although they are extremely common among my age group here, in WDW I felt myself the subject of many stares and confused looks!!

I fear I may have given off the impression I was homeless with some of the looks I got!

Trip Reports In Progress:

Ooo I'm really scaredd! A Sept 13 TR!
Excuse me, your child can NOT go on stage with Mickey: a January 2013 TR!

Completed: We both got real jobs, now we can go to Disney: Sept 2013 PTR
July 2000: GKTW Village// January 2012 offiste// January 2013 Pop Century// September 2013 Pop Century

Follow me on Instagram: @courtneyeliizabeth
lvcourtneyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:20 PM   #1551
ZoZo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownFam View Post

I would have to state that the outlet strip remains my top tip. I read it before my first trip and we have used one every time since, not just to DW but to other vacations as well.
Yep, bringing a power strip is so handy. Hotel rooms have very few empty outlets, and they're often located in hard-to-reach places (like behind nightstands , etc.). Or you have to unplug something important, like a lamp. to plug in your cell phone charger. With all of the electronic device people carry nowadays, it makes things so much easier when charging to have a power strip.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:34 PM   #1552
Trish.Glenn
Mouseketeer

Power strip can be a life saver!!! Also I always find having a zip lock bag that our cells phones fit into for wet rides very helpfull!!
2001 - Disney Cruise (Eastern)
2003 - Disney Cruise (Western)
2006 - Off property
2008 - Off property
2009 - Off property
2011 - Coronado
2012 - Pop
Trish.Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:51 PM   #1553
ZoZo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frannie115 View Post
Taking a break mid day. Best tip ever!

Getting to parks early and leaving by 1 PM. Go back in evening and enjoy dinner, parade and fireworks without being totally exhausted.

We didn't do this at AK, and I got ill from the heat that day
I'll add caveat to this tip. Be sure to check the park hours (closing times) for the time of year you're visiting. You'll see many people suggesting that you leave the parks mid-day, then go back in the evening. This strategy works only if you're going to WDW when the parks stay open late. But this doesn't work for me, because I go in October. With the parks closing as early as 5:00 pm (AK) or 7:00-ish (MK or DHS), you'd waste half of your prime park time by taking an afternoon break every day. I might go back to the resort to take a quick shower and change clothes, but I definitely wouldn't spend my entire afternoon at the resort every day.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:24 PM   #1554
ZoZo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ibis View Post
For those waiting til the end of vacation to buy souvenirs -- just be sure you leave time to get back to everywhere to get them. We also tell the kids to wait til later in the vacation, but it's my sincere fear that we won't make it back to obscure little shops to pick up everything that we saw that we liked, especially if they are scattered around the parks and resorts.

Now that Disney has standardized a lot of the inventory (for better or worse), it's not always such a problem, but my DD wanted a kimono from the Japanese pavilion in Epcot last spring, and that might have been a problem had we not been staying at an Epcot resort. I usually find something at the GF Mercantile, and we're usually only there once the whole trip. DTD is also a big, special trip.
I suggest buying a souvenir when you see it, especially if it's an unusual item. I found out that you can return any item purchased at any WDW shop, right at your resort gift shop. Then if you find something you like later in your trip, you can return the first item you purchased without going back to the original store to do the return.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:39 PM   #1555
Dalamara
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I found out that you can return any item purchased at any WDW shop, right at your resort gift shop. Then if you find something you like later in your trip, you can return the first item you purchased without going back to the original store to do the return.
WOW!! I didn't know that, what a great tip! Thanks! :D
Old 11-24-2012, 11:49 PM   #1556
dsneprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I suggest buying a souvenir when you see it, especially if it's an unusual item. I found out that you cocan return any item purchased at any WDW shop, right at your resort gift shop. Then if you find something you like later in your trip, you can return the first item you purchased without going back to the original store to do the return.
Color me amazed! I didn't know this. I guess I learned my something for today!! Wow, thanks for the info!
dsneprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:39 AM   #1557
jnfr2424
I'm Tink I got my Peter Pan and together we love to fly away to Neverland!

Ship your souvenirs home is the best tip ever

We usually shop in WoD and the 24 days of Christmas and we don't carry any of it with us
Tax gets exempt and we usually pay 20-30 shipping and it arrives 10 days later

jnfr2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:50 AM   #1558
fadingjamie
Up next... Mother/Daughter Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoZo View Post
I suggest buying a souvenir when you see it, especially if it's an unusual item. I found out that you can return any item purchased at any WDW shop, right at your resort gift shop. Then if you find something you like later in your trip, you can return the first item you purchased without going back to the original store to do the return.
Thank you for this! I missed out on a pin because I didn't buy it right away and wanted to shop around (not that the prices change but I didn't think I needed to buy it right away).

June 2001 Off Site (Grad Night), March 2009 POP, June 2010 Give a Day, Get a Day program (NCL cruise day trip), May 2011 POFQ (we got engaged!), July 2013 Poly/POR (our honeymoon!), Upcoming: August 2014 POFQ (mother/daughter trip)

fadingjamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:07 PM   #1559
ConnieB
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoZo View Post
I'll add caveat to this tip. Be sure to check the park hours (closing times) for the time of year you're visiting. You'll see many people suggesting that you leave the parks mid-day, then go back in the evening. This strategy works only if you're going to WDW when the parks stay open late. But this doesn't work for me, because I go in October. With the parks closing as early as 5:00 pm (AK) or 7:00-ish (MK or DHS), you'd waste half of your prime park time by taking an afternoon break every day. I might go back to the resort to take a quick shower and change clothes, but I definitely wouldn't spend my entire afternoon at the resort every day.
But the afternoon break is so that you can stay until closing (which tends to get less crowded as little ones go home)....so if the park isn't open late than the stamina needed to go open to close is less and do-able, lol.
ConnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:15 PM   #1560
Rememberingthe70s
Old School

I know many of us buy things here and there over time while planning for a Diz trip (I ordered some pins a week ago, my park tickets came in the mail, I bought a few t-shirts, I'll pick up some body glide at some point, etc). For these items, grab your suitcase or carry-on or (even a box), set it out somewhere out of the way, and put everything in there, in one place. I've already started doing it, and I'm 60 days out. This way, I have some pre-trip fun, and I know everything I need is in one place for the final pack.

It's a nice way to know you have not forgotten anything, and it's fun to pick up things you need now and then and "deposit them in the Disney box!"
WDW Commando Club Member #119
36 Years of Vacationing at WDW
Rememberingthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: