Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2014, 05:07 PM   #1
WishMom09
DIS Veteran

Need flying tips

We always drive...so what tips do you have for flying to WDW? (Or anywhere)

Caleb's Wish Trip TR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post30337247

2002 Off Site, 2009 GKTW (Caleb's Wish Trip), 2010 POR, 2012 POR, 2014 POR

WishMom09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:48 PM   #2
Phoenixrising
Mouseketeer

Here are my tips. Avoid caffene as it messes with your internal clock. Make sure to drink lots of juice, and water during the flight to avoid dehydration, as the air in the planes is very dry. Take gum, make sure decongestants are in your carryon, and if you've never flown before, make sure the kids are aware of how to equalize their ears. With this method, all you have to do is pinch you nose close, then GENTLY blow until you feel a popping sensation in your ears. It's good to do this frequently on take offs and landings to help your ears equalize. For my kids Earplanes are mandatory, as both of them have had severe problems with their ears equalizing on take offs and landing. I've tried everything, and they are the only thing that works. If it hadn't been for the Earplanes, on our last trip flying, both kids would have blown their eardrums. The Earplanes are disposable and are good for 2 take offs and landings. Something to keep in mind. Hope this helps.
Phoenixrising is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-23-2014, 07:27 PM   #3
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

Remember any liquids going through security have to be in containers that are 3 oz or less. Even if your 8 oz bottle is only a 1/4 full they will make you through it out.

All liquids must fit into a 1 quart ziplock bag. One ziplock per person.

Allow plenty to catch your flight. Just saw last month a family that came to the gate at 12:55 for a 1:00 p.m. flight only to be told that flight left. Guy said how could if have left the flight was suppose to leave for another 5 minutes. So they explained how things work. Then proceeded to inform him that they next flight they could fit his family of 6 on would be in two days! So be at your gate at least 30 minutes before departure time.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:45 PM   #4
Miss Whimsy
Earning My Ears

Seconding the stay hydrated part. Airplane air is DRY. Either take an empty water bottle through security and fill at a drinking fountain or suck it up and buy expensive water inside security.

Make sure you have a plan for keeping your kids (and yourself) entertained--books or download games/movies on a computer or ipad (don't forget headphones!), or whatever activities are likely to keep your kids engaged for the length of the trip.

See if you can combine people's stuff into fewer bags (though stay under 50 lbs per bag) to avoid so many checked bag fees.

If you're staying onsite, you can take the Disney magical whatsit bus from Orlando airport to Disney and not have to rent a car/take a taxi.

Previous visits:
May 2011 (Pop Century)
Feb 2013 (Pop Century)
Miss Whimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:56 AM   #5
gules
Crazy for my hero

I used to fly a lot as a kid (still do as an adult!), so here are my tips!

1) If your kids are prone to motion sickness at all, watch out! Don't let them eat eggs or orange juice before the trip, don't fill them up, and DO get some Children's Dramamine! Planes hit everyone differently, but the last thing you want is a really sick kid on the plane. It ruins everyone's day.

2) All liquids, including make up, on carry-on luggage need to be put in their own see-through bag (max 1 qt) and MUST be 100ml or under. Put this somewhere you can get it quickly to make the security line go smoothly. Places like Walmart, Target, and Walgreens sell TSA-compliant kits you can transfer liquids into.

3) Some airports ask you to take your shoes off at the security gate. Prep your kids for this eventuality and if you see others removing shoes, get started ASAP. Take off all coats, belts, and empty pockets as you approach. Trust me when I say that this takes off some stress, as no one wants to be the family holding up the security line while everyone glares.

4) I see you have a child with special needs. You might want to call your airport ahead of time to get an idea of how your security check will need to be altered for him. Knowledge of the procedure helps keep stress down on the day.

5) Popping ears on take-off or landing is hard for most kids. If yours can dive really far underwater, they'll have an idea of how to make this happen. If not, then Earplanes, as someone suggested, might help. Also, gum, eating foods, or drinking something can help, as swallowing enough often aids in ears popping (weirdly enough). Anyone particularly young might need to be prepped in the idea that their ears will need to pop.

6) You're allowed 1 "personal" luggage and one carry-on. I'd maximize this unless you plan on checking something in. Let each kid bring something to do on the plane, plus one change of clothes. Pack this in a backpack of their size to keep under the chair in front of them during the trip. Get as much as you can into carry-ons, even if it means mixing up some clothes. Keep to the size and weight restrictions, though.

7) Get to the airport early if you can. At least 2 hours should suffice. There's nothing worse than watching your flight take off without you, and the stress if that's a real possibility is HUGE. You really don't want to be angry and rushing your kids or snapping at everyone (had a lot of this when I was younger!).

8) Stay hydrated! You can get water whenever they offer drinks on the plane. If you're already feeling thirsty, ask for more than one cup the first time. They don't usually mind. Otherwise I'd bring empty water bottles to fill at a water fountain after security check.

9) If your flight is long enough to have lunch (or overlap a normal snack time), I'd include some dry snacks in my carry-on. Things that your kids like and are easy to eat and keep down are best.

10) If you're doing Magical Express, only pack in carry-ons the things that you'll need in the next 4 hours or so of landing. Place the yellow tags Disney sends on your check-in luggage prior to checking them in and go straight to the bus. Disney picks them up and delivers them for you.

And those are my two cents!
gules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:44 PM   #6
ZoZo
DIS Veteran

Great advice here! One thing you might try is to spread each person's stuff between two suitcases (i.e. put some of your clothes in your husband's suitcase and vice versa). That way, if the airline "misplaces" one of your bags temporarily, you'll have enough stuff to get by until they find it.

And always pack valuables/prescription meds in your carry-on.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:28 PM   #7
Kiwini
Mouseketeer

Don't get sick

Don't get sick. Avoid sitting next to sneezers and coughers. Take some saline spray and use it - it helps your nose not get dried out - dry noses are more susceptible to germs. Take a packet of Wet Ones and wipe down the seat belt, arm rests, tray tables, etc.

We're not a germophobes in daily life, but we make an exception for airplanes. My wife can remember the exact sneeze that came her way on the flight to Florida that did her in for over half of our WDW stay a few years back.

Kiwini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:02 AM   #8
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

my tips include.... get to airport 2 hours ahead of flight, it makes for a lot less stress,and then you can relax and wait by the gate-
always always bring along snack foods in each person's carryon bag, even if it doesn't get touched, just in case.I like nuts,dried fruits,small snack packs of crackers,etc.
If you end up sitting in a different part of the plane than you planned, don't panic. The ENTIRE plane gets to the destination at the same time.
I always buy a drink bottle after we go through security, it is sort of a 'start the vacation' for us. And I like to have my food with me.
Prepare your kids in a calm way for security, the lines, the shoes,etc. Even the occasional pat down or standing and being wanded, it happens sometimes for a wrinkle in your sock,and it's usually no biggie. If you prepare everyone with the attitude of 'it will just take an extra minute to check this' then no reason to panic.... I have always stepped thru first,then my kids, then my DH just so if that happens one of us is nearby to watch and reassure from the side. (it's usually my DH that gets the wand since he forgets stuff in his pockets that aren't allowed LOL)
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: