Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2005, 01:07 PM   #1
bizeemom4
DIS Veteran

Which is better - balcony rooms on a high or low deck?

Is it better (viewwise or otherwise) to be on a higher deck vs. a lower deck? We're currently booked on a 7day eastern on deck 9 and want to switch to 7day western but we can only get connecting rooms in the room category we want if we go to deck 6.

Do you feel the boat move more on an upper or lower deck? Is it better to be closer or farther from the water?

We're doing a RCL not DCL but I wanted opinions of cruisers who have done any cruise with experience on a high or low deck. Thanks!
Old 03-12-2005, 02:34 PM   #2
encmerk
Mouseketeer

Just to let you know that we went on RCl last Feb and stayed ina mini suite on deck 10. First of all we felt alot of motion. My DH states that the higher you are on the ship the more you feel. However, when we were on deck 4 in the dining room I felt the same amount if not a little less. I personally think the view will be the same. This year we are going on the magic in August and we are having 2 connecting cat 9's. I hope this helps.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Mexican Rivera Aug 2005 Magic
Bahamas Sept 2008 25th & 28th (Back to Back) Wonder
Bahamas Sept 2011 25th.
encmerk is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-12-2005, 03:58 PM   #3
SeaSpray

Frankly Scallop, I don't give a clam!
Loud people give me Skull Pain!
Call me "impatient"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizeemom4
Is it better (viewwise or otherwise) to be on a higher deck vs. a lower deck? We're currently booked on a 7day eastern on deck 9 and want to switch to 7day western but we can only get connecting rooms in the room category we want if we go to deck 6.

Do you feel the boat move more on an upper or lower deck? Is it better to be closer or farther from the water?

We're doing a RCL not DCL but I wanted opinions of cruisers who have done any cruise with experience on a high or low deck. Thanks!

I don't think you're booked on a DISNEY ship in a cabin on Deck 9. That's the pool deck. You're on Deck 8 maybe??

Anyway, we were in a balcony cabin on Deck 6 and it was wonderful. Can't compare it to Decks 7 or 8, but we had an excellent view at all times.

As for movement of the ship, the higher up you are, supposedly the more you can feel it. Same thing with front and back of the ship; the further out from the dead center of the ship whethers up, down, or front or back, you will feel the movement more.

Hope this helps, and Happy Sailing!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
SeaSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 04:18 PM   #4
BigAl
Mouseketeer

I've been on deck 6 and deck 8. Didn't notice any difference, great either way.
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 04:30 PM   #5
depomas
Mouseketeer

Here is my experience

deck 6- Fantastic..movement definitely felt

deck 2- did not love the location, but smooth, very smooth

deck7- LOVED this location..but very very bumpy

I have heard that lower is definitely smoother, and can attest to this..
depomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 09:57 PM   #6
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Just to clarify to the OP....Deck 2 does not have balcony cabins....
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 10:09 PM   #7
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpray
I don't think you're booked on a DISNEY ship in a cabin on Deck 9. That's the pool deck. You're on Deck 8 maybe??

She did say that they were not on Disney.

I think that the views would be better the higher up you are, that just makes sense.
As for the movement of the ship....if you are in "bumpy" water, like when you cross the Gulf Stream, that will be felt anywhere. Rocking of the ship, from waves, will be felt less mid-ship on almost any deck, and even more so on the higher decks. We've sailed behind a hurricane, and had some astounding waves, so that was alot of rocking no matter where we were. But under normal sailing circumstances, you get used to the gentle rocking. I actually wish I could figure out how to get my house to rock like that!
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 04:45 PM   #8
bizeemom4
DIS Veteran

Ok. Thanks for the responses. Deck 9 on the Voyager is 2 floors down from the pool deck and our cabins are close to the stairwells. It would be convenient to just run up 2 flights to swim instead of waiting for the elevators if we move to deck 6. Although deck 6 puts us closer to the main dining room and the Promenade.

I do have a feeling that a few of us will be seasick the first day so less motion is a very good point to consider as well.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:47 PM   #9
SeaSpray

Frankly Scallop, I don't give a clam!
Loud people give me Skull Pain!
Call me "impatient"

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace
She did say that they were not on Disney.

I'm blaming this on all the snow up here in Massachusetts, making me crazy! LOL!! I swear I read the OPs post a couple of times to see if she mentioned it was a different cruise line and I didn't see it, but now I do. I sit corrected!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
SeaSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 09:47 AM   #10
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Quote:
I'm blaming this on all the snow up here in Massachusetts, making me crazy! LOL!! I swear I read the OPs post a couple of times to see if she mentioned it was a different cruise line and I didn't see it, but now I do. I sit corrected!
No biggie! If I had to survive the winter you guys have, I would have lost my mind a LOOOOOOONG time ago! Hope it starts to warm up for you!!
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 10:57 AM   #11
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Don't feel bad...I also read the OP's post twice and did not see that they were on a different ship!!

Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: