Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2005, 09:19 AM   #1
Mskanga
Can speak and read 4 languages fluently! The TF is impressed!
In need of tube riding lessons for the water slide!
Yo quiero ir a WDW
Prefers reading tags to threads!

problems with the post office and mail delivery

I am very ticked off.
We have a central mail pavillion and for the last 2-3 years our mail has been getting there no sooner than 4 pm ( and that was on a very good day ) but usually 5 pm and later. We complained to the post office on countless times and after all that , the post office came up with the idea to re-build the pavillion ( at our expense of course ) with a better system that would allow us to get our mail by 2-3 pm. It took them one month to do that, during that time we had to go to the post office to pick up the mail.
Now that they have the new pavillion and the new system in place , not only we continue to get our mail delivered late , but also we get our mail delivered in installments!!!!
For example yesterday I went at 4:15 to check it , no mail at all , checked it again at 5:30 pm because I suspected the first time that they had not been there yet , and the carrier was there and there were 3 pieces of mail in my box. I had the funny feeling that was not all the mail , and when I came back from an errand this morning I checked it again, sure enough there were 5 more pieces of mail , all first class ( no junk ).
In other words, the service is worse now than it was before the improvements. I am not the only one this is happening to , I have other neighbors who complained of the same thing , but yet the postmaster is doing absolutely nothing about it , but you know what ticks me off even more? he's the president of our homeowners association!!!!!
I feel like we are beating a dead horse.
Mskanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 09:22 AM   #2
Pop Daddy
Hey Sexy
it wore me out, Im mentally exhausted
im helpless against kittens, puppy's and sexy women

who wants mail anway, its only bills
Register to remove

Old 03-12-2005, 09:25 AM   #3
Beth76
DIS Veteran

I don't understand why you're upset at getting your mail at 4 or 5pm. Someone has to get their mail at that time. Not everyone can get their mail at noon.
Beth76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 09:38 AM   #4
Mskanga
Yo quiero ir a WDW

4 pm is on a good day , which is rare....it's more 5 pm and later. I have a problem not only because they deliver so late , but because now we are getting our mail in installments. 5 pm may not seem late to some people , but considering that we have to drive a mile to get the mail each way , at least we would like to have it delivered by a certain time. We have a problem because our route has been admitted to be the longest one and it requires two carriers, instead the post office wants to handle it with one, and the more people that move into the area , the later we will be getting the mail.
If they want to keep it this way , it would be nice if they would deliver our community first and then the other communities that have home delivery, we don't have home delivery.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:42 AM   #5
RadioNate
DIS Veteran

I don't know. I lived in an apartment complex once that had a problem with mail service. We didn't have a regular carrier so who ever got done with their route first was then sent out on our route. After the carriers started catching on they wouldn't get done with their routes early so sometimes we'd go several days with no mail (unless we went to get it). Most days we were lucky to get it before dark.

I get that it's frustrating for you but someone has got to be at the start of the route and someone has to be at the end.

Why don't you start waiting until after dinner to get mail? I know my DH picks ours up on his way home from work (we also have a community box). I don't even think about what time it comes unless I"m waiting for a package. If DH forgets we don't even bother to check it that day.

Instead of doing a second delivery they could just wait until the next day to deliver the rest of your mail. Would that be better?
RadioNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 10:43 AM   #6
Melrosgirl
Would win @ hide n seek ;-)
Doin' the tower was a piece of cake!
Let's all have lots of sunny thoughts to try to blow the rain away!!!

I get my mail between 4 and 6 p.m. typically. I hate it also. It's annoying to get something that late and if you need to call on it (like for a bill or something), the odds are the company you need to call is already closed (on the east coast).
Melrosgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 12:12 PM   #7
Mskanga
Yo quiero ir a WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioNate
I don't know. I lived in an apartment complex once that had a problem with mail service. We didn't have a regular carrier so who ever got done with their route first was then sent out on our route. After the carriers started catching on they wouldn't get done with their routes early so sometimes we'd go several days with no mail (unless we went to get it). Most days we were lucky to get it before dark.

I get that it's frustrating for you but someone has got to be at the start of the route and someone has to be at the end.

Why don't you start waiting until after dinner to get mail? I know my DH picks ours up on his way home from work (we also have a community box). I don't even think about what time it comes unless I"m waiting for a package. If DH forgets we don't even bother to check it that day.

Instead of doing a second delivery they could just wait until the next day to deliver the rest of your mail. Would that be better?
The problem here is not only that we are getting the mail late and in installments , the problem here is also safety not only for the people getting their mail but also for the carrier. He has delivered the mail in the dark , in an open pavillion with a flashkight under his arm because there's no light . There has been assaults in that pavillion before , so it's a matter of safety for everyone.
It would be real easy if instead of doing the home delivery first , they would do our community and then the home delivery , the carrier ( who has complained about this a million times ) would also be safer. Their excuse???? We have to clear this with the union and if they say no , we can't do it.

Last edited by Mskanga; 03-12-2005 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:24 PM   #8
krdisneybound

After 5000 posts, the tag fairy found me!
Patience is a virtue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mskanga
The problem here is not only that we are getting the mail late and in installments , the problem here is also safety not only for the people getting their mail but also for the carrier. He has delivered the mail in the dark , in an open pavillion with a flashkight under his arm because there's no light . There has been assaults in that pavillion before , so it's a matter of safety for everyone.
It would be real easy if instead of doing the home delivery first , they would do our community and then the home delivery , the carrier ( who has complained about this a million times ) would also be safer. Their excuse???? We have to clear this with the union and if they say no , we can't do it.
Once the carriers are not safe and something happens to one of them, then maybe something will be done (BUT THAT IS NOT WHAT WE WANT - IS IT??)

Will it come to that???? The carriers have to come together and make their point, if it is that important to them.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:47 PM   #9
DennisP
I owe, I owe. So its off to work I go!!

I worked part-time in the Post Office while I was going to college and I just wanted to share my experiences. Things have probably changed since then, but here it goes.

Typically, the mail carrier came in at 6:00 to 6:30 AM and had 2 hours to set-up his/her route. This means sorting the mail for his/her section into the individual home addresses. After the sort was completed, the carrier had 6 hours to deliver all of the mail plus 1 hour for lunch. The carriers usually clocked out between 3:00 to 3:30 PM. Unless there were special circumstances, the carrier was written up by the supervisor if the mail was not delivered by 3:30 PM and complaints were received.

I think getting your mail after 5:00 PM is totally rediculous and you should complain. My mail has always been delivered between 12:00 noon and 2:00 PM, even in inclement weather.

DennisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 05:42 PM   #10
Mskanga
Yo quiero ir a WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdisneybound
Once the carriers are not safe and something happens to one of them, then maybe something will be done (BUT THAT IS NOT WHAT WE WANT - IS IT??)
:
Kind of hard to do when there's only one regular mail carrier and the ones working for him when he's off are substitutes. Subs have no saying on anything, and if only one carrier complains to the postmaster, what do you think is going to happen? absolutely nothing.
I have seen groups of people complain to the postmaster directly before and guess what he did?? nothing!!! In fact when people were picking up the mail from the post office recently ( since they had ripped out all our mailboxes ) I saw him refuse to give someone their mail because they did not know their cluster box number. 90% of people in the community do not know their cluster number because it's not posted or used for anything. , he couldn't be bothered to spend 10 seconds and find the people's mail.
Time to go over his head , our complaints are falling on deaf ears.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:20 PM   #11
the kabuki
DIS Cast Member
Has Drama Kings at home!

Seinfeld episode:

George Constanza: Let me ask you something... What do you do for a living , Newman?

Newman: I'm a United States Postal worker.

George: Aren't those the guys that always go crazy and come back with a gun and shoot everybody?

Newman: Sometimes

Jerry: Why is that?

Newman: Because the mail never stops. It just keeps coming and coming and coming. There's never a letup, it's relentless. Every day it piles up more and more, but the more you get out, the more it keeps coming. And then the bar code reader breaks. And then it's Publisher's Clearinghouse day

Jerry: All right , all right all ready

Horse People are Stable People
the kabuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 08:08 PM   #12
LuvN~Travel
A DMV employee noticed that I lost weight
part of the wear whatever is clean crowd!

I know about being at the end of the route now. For years we've had early delivery, about 11:00 am. However, we are renting a house now, that is on the end of the route.
Unfortunately, they can be so short on carriers sometimes, that routes can be split between carriers. Which means that the carriers may run their regular routes then divvy up someone else's route between carriers. And, of course that means you wind up with end of day delivery. And, if a newby is involved in this process, well.... it can make for later delivery. Nothing like being out at '
'dark thirty'!
Hope things settle down for your complex soon.
Kim
Old 03-12-2005, 08:25 PM   #13
Poohnatic
I haven't seen it and it sounds yummy!
You can have your stinkin muffin
We even 'smooch' at each other

Okay, sounds like you need to contact the regional supervisor. The postmaster can only do so much within his post office with the allocated number of routes and carriers. If the regional says they have 20 routes, that's all they can have...

However, if you and all your neighbors complain ABOVE the postmaster (who can only do so much), that might get something done. I'm surprised that the postmaster hasn't told you that he is limited by how many carriers and routes the USPS allows him.

DH was a letter carrier and every day he delivered two, sometimes portions of more routes. His post office would have a cow if they were out past five, and would be sending out major reinforcements if a carrier was still in the streets at 4:30.

Surprised that the union wouldn't allow cluster box deliveries first. Heck, DH would go out with his truck with clusters first, then go back and put up the bulk for the next day while waiting for a LLV to come in. His post office only had vehicles for a third of their routes.

Suzanne
Poohnatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 01:10 AM   #14
jackskellingtonsgirl
Jello Shot Chick
I am scarred for life from wearing knock off brands
I opened the door and gave them the "nanny death stare"!

For a minute I thought you might live in our complex!

The mail delivery here is just sad. We rarely get our mail before dark. It is inconvenient. Trivial, maybe, but still inconvenient. Especially since our leasing office closes at 5:00. I know at our old apartments if the mailman had a question he would ask the leasing agents - hard to do if they are closed!!

We have complained repeatedly and the excuse we were given was this:
The letter carriers are in more danger out on other routes after dark. This is a gated apartment community with mailboxes in a central location. Better to have our boxes filled after dark than for the poor guy to be stumbling from one house to the next in the dark. Whatever.

We also seem to have tremendous turnover in carriers. Maybe if there was one person assigned to our complex all the time we would get our mail earlier and NOBODY would have to be out in the dark! Including DH, who usually goes to get the mail!
AKV CL June '11 AKV June '10 AKL Dec. '09 AKV CL Aug. '09 AKL/SSR/Poly/AKV Aug. '08 AKL Dec. '07 WL Aug. '07 AKL Feb. '07 Pop Dec. '06 AKL Aug. '06 Pop Oct. '05 Pop Jan. '05

jackskellingtonsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 01:44 AM   #15
LuvN~Travel
A DMV employee noticed that I lost weight
part of the wear whatever is clean crowd!

Unfortunately, your's may be an unpopular route, which means no one wants to bid on it. So they have to staff it with subs and reliefs. Most jobs are bid on in the USPS by employees. But, if it is an unpopular job, it will turn over quite a bit.
Kim

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: