Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2005, 12:15 PM   #1
barbaraann
Chicago Gal

Thumbs up 12 Year Old Boy - Beach Club instead of Grand Floridian

I had originally decided to take my grandson back to the Port Orleans Riverside Resort, so that he could fish and swim. We stayed there last year, but he could not swim, because he had a cast on his arm. I like to change resorts each time I visit Disney, so I was disappointed that I was staying at the same place twice. I then decided to split my reservation between 2 resorts. It was 4 nights at POR and 3 nights at GF. I then hit a snag when my airline ATA no longer flew direct to Orlando. I had to book my flight with another airline, and it cost me an additional $200+. Well when I was reading about the AAA discounts, I got the idea to try and apply it to both reservations. It worked for POR, it did not work for GF. Well I then got a second idea. Why not switch to the Beach Club? I called back and changed my 3 nights to the Beach CLub. I got the AAA discount. Since my grandson has not been told about the hotel switch, I believe I ultimately made the better choice for a 12 year old boy. Agree? Disagree? I have always wanted to stay at both the GF and the BC, so I am ultimately O.K. with the change. I hear the pool area at the Beach Club is very nice. I have been researching the Beach Club and I am sure I will love the close proximity to Epcot and the easy access to MGM. So tell me I did the right thing. I saved about $400 with the AAA discount, - my $200 loss and it will about pay for that fishing excursion at POR. Thanks for all the help from this board, I am not all bummed out about the airline switch. The Grand Floridian will have to wait. Maybe next year we will try Coronado Springs and the Grand Floridian. Would like to go a little later, so I can get the cheaper rate at the GF. Oh, and yes, next time I will not forget to ask for the discount. Thanks again.

Last edited by barbaraann; 03-10-2005 at 12:20 PM. Reason: typos
barbaraann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 12:24 PM   #2
A4Disney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaraann
I had originally decided to take my grandson back to the Port Orleans Riverside Resort, so that he could fish and swim. We stayed there last year, but he could not swim, because he had a cast on his arm. I like to change resorts each time I visit Disney, so I was disappointed that I was staying at the same place twice. I then decided to split my reservation between 2 resorts. It was 4 nights at POR and 3 nights at GF. I then hit a snag when my airline ATA no longer flew direct to Orlando. I had to book my flight with another airline, and it cost me an additional $200+. Well when I was reading about the AAA discounts, I got the idea to try and apply it to both reservations. It worked for POR, it did not work for GF. Well I then got a second idea. Why not switch to the Beach Club? I called back and changed my 3 nights to the Beach CLub. I got the AAA discount. Since my grandson has not been told about the hotel switch, I believe I ultimately made the better choice for a 12 year old boy. Agree? Disagree? I have always wanted to stay at both the GF and the BC, so I am ultimately O.K. with the change. I hear the pool area at the Beach Club is very nice. I have been researching the Beach Club and I am sure I will love the close proximity to Epcot and the easy access to MGM. So tell me I did the right thing. I saved about $400 with the AAA discount, - my $200 loss and it will about pay for that fishing excursion at POR. Thanks for all the help from this board, I am not all bummed out about the airline switch. The Grand Floridian will have to wait. Maybe next year we will try Coronado Springs and the Grand Floridian. Would like to go a little later, so I can get the cheaper rate at the GF. Oh, and yes, next time I will not forget to ask for the discount. Thanks again.
I think you did the right thing!He'll love Stormalong Bay and the arcade.Plus you saved money!Have a great time

1995 off site
1998 off site
2001 Beach Club
2003 Polynesian
2005 Contemporary Tower
2008 Caribbean Beach
A4Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-10-2005, 12:27 PM   #3
daannzzz
OMG...Theres my favorite scrambled egg salad
Enjoys the magic of Disneyland in December
: I am becoming a bit more adventurous in my dining habits

I think you did good. You are saving money and will be in a nice resort with an awesome location and the best pool on property for a 12 year old boy.
daannzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 12:29 PM   #4
kpm76
DIS Veteran
Charlie Brown is competing with my college basketball game

Though I have not stayed at BC I have visited and been the the restaurants there and I think you definitely made the right choice!! We've stayed at the GF and love it, but we're adults....a 12 year old boy will be much more interested in Stormalong Bay....have a wonderful trip
kpm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 12:36 PM   #5
k_k_100
Mouseketeer

Storm Along Bay!!! It is just perfect for a 12-year old boy! The ambiance & theme will also be perfect.
k_k_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 12:42 PM   #6
patsal
I've discovered I don't need to be a control freak...and like it!

He'll love the pool and slide, you'll love the relaxed atmosphere! Have a great vacation!
Old 03-10-2005, 01:22 PM   #7
barbaraann
Chicago Gal

Wink 12 Year Old Boy at the Beach Club

Thanks for the immediate feedback. While I was editing my post, my computer decided to disconnect. When I got it back up and running, I found all of the positive feedback to my post. Thanks, everyone. Since my grandson thinks we are spending all 7 nights at the POR, I was really hoping the surprise switch to the Beach Club would not make him Grumpy. By the way, his favorite resort is Epcot, and I understand we can walk there. I am definitely excited. I was looking at resort menus on allearsnet and ran across the in room dining for the Yacht and Beach Club. We are late night eaters and it is good to know we can order food after a long day at the parks. I am so excited about my upcoming trip. We will be there in June. We usually go at Spring Break, but by going after the kids are out of school, we can go longer. Thanks Again
barbaraann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 02:14 PM   #8
Barbday62
DIS Veteran

All kids like Pizza and you can walk to the boardwalk and get take out pizza from Spoodles for late night too.

I personally love the Beach CLub. Its my favorite resort location. Stormalong bay is a blast and your Grandson will just love it.
Barbday62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 02:40 PM   #9
Wish I lived in Fl
DIS Veteran

My DS,11, liked it so much he asked to skip going to a park one day and just enjoy the pool and arcade.
Wish I lived in Fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 02:47 PM   #10
Leota
DIS Veteran

I think you did great! We stayed at the BC when my DS was 12 - He absolutely LOVED it. As another poster above said, he loved it so much, he stayed back at the resort one night to swim & eat room service instead of going to the Parks.
Stormalong Bay is really awesome. I have to admit, I thnk I enjoyed it as much as he did.
*~* Offsite 1973 ~ Fort Wilderness Cabins 1993,1995,1998 ~Disneyland, Offsite, 1997,1998 ~ All-Star Sports 1999 ~ Beach Club 2000 ~ Wilderness Lodge 2001 ~ Polynesian/Coronado Springs 2001 ~ Dolphin 2001 ~ Swan 2004 ~ Grand Floridian, Happy Haunts 2004 ~ Dolphin/Animal Kingdom Lodge 2005 ~ PO French Quarter 2005 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge / Swan 2005 ~ Swan 2006 ~ Swan 2006 ~ Dolphin 2007 ~Dolphin 2007 ~ Dolphin 2008 ~ Dolphin 2009 ~ Dolphin 2009 ~ Dolphin 2010 ~ Wyndham Lake Buena Vista 2011 ~ Windsor Hills 2011~ Swan 2012 ~ Bonnet Creek 2013 ~ Home from now on! *~*

Making our Florida Dreams Come True
Move In Day: June 10th, 2013.... Finally!!!

Leota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 03:13 PM   #11
newholidayx2
Searching for the perfect tree
Do you get bunny kisses?

DS13 & I will be spending 6nights at the BCV in August
he wants nothing to do with Grand Floridian - I wont even make a PS there

Nov 2009 - employed by Disney
Dec 27 2008 - relocated to FL
newholidayx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 03:15 PM   #12
EsmeraldaX
Registered

The pool at Beach Club is amazing! It's like your own private water park! It will more than make up for his missing swimming last time.
EsmeraldaX is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: