Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2005, 09:23 PM   #1
Buzz's_girl
Mouseketeer

Return to the Madness Part One: 2/25 Arrival Day…but first we have to be De-Iced

Return to the Madness Part One: 2/25 Arrival Day…but first we have to be De-Iced

Cast:
Me: Obsessive Disney Planner, Disney Commando in 12 step program learning how to do Disney with kids!!!
DH 30- Loves Disney as much as me, but content to sit at the pool and watch the kids…
DD6- knows everything, or thinks she does
DD5- loves everything, especially if it is pink
DS4- loves Buzz. We call him Stitch, he is messy and destructive, but very cute.

So, we visited the world back in August 04 for 2 weeks. It was the kids first ever Disney vacation. They LOVED everything about it. Since we had the annual passes, we figured, why not get even more use out of them. The whole idea really became a reality when I looked into flights and got a great deal ($100.00 roundtrip each). So, it was meant to be. We decided to go during DH’s spring break (DH is back in school to further his education), and since DD6’s vacation was President’s week, we figured we would miss most of the crowds by going the following week. Once the flight had been booked we discussed telling the kids. We quickly decided that this time, we would surprise them!

This turned out to be a great idea in so many ways. For one, I didn’t have them asking me every five minutes when we would be leaving for Disney World. The problems however, soon began to surface. I began my insane planning on the internet….what to do and when to do it. Where should we eat? Should we take advantage of the morning EMH? What about the evening EMH? Do we want to try something new? If so, will the kids allow it? The kids noticed me doing the research on-line and began to ask questions. I was able to tell them that I was researching for a future trip, and simply lied about when the trip would be telling them it was not until they would be 8,7,and6. This was way to far in the future for them, so it worked out well. As the days grew closer, however, things began changing in the World. The castle began undergoing its changes for the May 5 celebration. How to tell the kids without actually telling them. What would be open? What wouldn’t? I had to find a way to prepare them for what they would and wouldn’t see, without them knowing they were being prepared. Whenever I would find out about some changes, I would tell them. Then they would ask, will it be like that when we go back to Disney World? I would tell them, maybe!
Finally it was a few days before we were going to leave for WDW. The weather was in the 70s. This presented my next problem. Living in the Northeast means cold weather clothes in February and March. (And sometimes April, but we won’t go there). So I now had to find a way to pack summer clothes, and make sure they would still fit the kids, without them figuring out WHY I was doing it. Luckily, the stores began putting out their Spring lines, so I was able to tell the kids that we had to go through their clothes so I would know what to give away, what to pass down, and what to buy and for who. The kids got a little suspicious, but I made a game out of trying on the summer clothes…who could change the fastest…and the competition quickly diverted their attention!

The night before we were scheduled to leave, we sent the kids to bed as usual and then DH and I packed the kids suitcase (all three kids clothes in one suitcase, not bad!) my suitcase, and three strollers in the car. Dh insisted that he wait until morning.
Me: “Okay, DH, if you are sure you will remember.”
DH: “Of course I will remember, after we wake the kids, I will go and start the car to warm it up, and I will bring my suitcase out then.”

It was off to bed for myself, DH, and DM who was driving us to the airport in the morning. Before heading to bed, I decided to check the weather. We were expecting snow. Originally they said it would be a dusting. No problem, our flight was scheduled for 630 am, we should make it out fine.

The next morning, or I should say a few hours later, I woke up (at 330am). DH got up and took a shower, and then we were off to wake up the kids and surprise them.
First to DS’s room. He sat straight up as soon as we walked in his room. The plows had woken him up a few hours before, but he stayed in bed like a good little man.
Me and DH: “Hey Buddy, wanna go to Disney World today?”
DS: (bouncing on his bed) ‘TODAY? YES!!! ARE WE GONNA SEE BUZZ??”
Me: Yes Buddy! We’ll see Buzz! Let’s go tell your girls!!!

The three of us head down the hall to DD5’s room:
Me, DH, and DS: “Wake up DD5, wanna go to WDW?”
DD5: (Groggy) “What?”
DS: Wake up! We are going to Disney World! Wake up!

After she got out of bed, we head to DD6’s room. (About 30 minutes before this, she had come into my room to tell me that she had a bad dream. I put her back to bed. I wasn’t sure she had fallen back asleep yet, but since DS’s yells hadn’t caused her to get out of bed I figured we should go see what she was doing)

Me, DH, DS, and DD5: “DD6, wake up, wanna go to WDW?”
DD6 opened her eyes, looked at us and said: “No, get out of my room.”
DS: “DD6, We are going to WDW”
DD6: “It is the middle of the night. Go back to bed.”
Then all of a sudden, it hit her…..Disney World….they are serious!
DD6 jumps out of bed “Really, we are going to Disney World!””

Everyone gets dressed fairly quickly… the kids think it is great that we are going, but ask why we got them up in the middle of the night. I try explaining that the early flight gives us a more full day once we get there, but they don’t really care. (mental note….next time sleep in and stay and extra day!)

As we head to the car we realize there is WAY more than a dusting of snow out there. I call the airline to make sure we are still a go. As far as they can tell yes, so it is off to the airport. We get the kids to the car, and buckled in, clean all the snow off so we can see and are backing out of the driveway.
ME: “DH, where is your suitcase?”
DH: “Uh….in the house….”

So, we pull back in the driveway, turn off the car so DH can unlock the door and go get his suitcase.

We slowly make it through the snow to the airport. We check in at one of the kiosks, check our bags and the strollers and head to the gate. After a quick stop at McDonald’s we are ready to go. We are quickly loaded onto the plane and then the announcement comes.

We have to be de-iced. Okay, no problem. They explain it will only take a few minutes. I watch out the window as they spray the pink de-ice potion all over the plane. They move to the other side and I think, okay we should be good to go. Then the de-icer man comes back to my side and does it again. He repeats this process for a good 40 minutes. I am starting to wonder if flying is such a good idea….

After sitting on the plane for about an hour, we finally take off. The flight was uneventful (thank goodness there was no ice). Jet Blue was comfy, and the kids LOVED the t.v.s. They were a little disappointed that there was no movie….but nickelodeon did the trick.

As soon as we made it to the baggage area, we saw our driver, Christine from Tiffany Towncar waiting for us. I had a bad experience with another company in the past, so I was a little nervous, but Tiffany was GREAT! We had been upgraded to an excursion from a regular van. That car was AWESOME, and Christine was so nice!

We opted not to do the grocery stop since we arrived late, although Christine said we still could if we wanted, but we wanted to get to the hotel. We arrived at the Wilderness Lodge in no time, it was great to be HOME!!!!

Next up: Our rooms rock! And Stitch is NOT a ride!
Old 03-07-2005, 10:13 AM   #2
Buzz's_girl
Mouseketeer

Bump
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2005, 02:29 PM   #3
Buzz's_girl
Mouseketeer

bump no one likes my reports
Old 03-07-2005, 02:44 PM   #4
anut4disney
Just call me bashful

I like, keep them coming.

We are taking the twins in August and aren't going to tell them either. We are driving so they won't know until we pull up to the property.

Raymond (aka Grumpy).
Wonderful husband, father and grandfather.
You are in our hearts forever.

Old 03-11-2005, 08:55 AM   #5
alicenwonder99
DIS Veteran

I'm amazed you kept it a secret to the kids up until the morning of your trip!!! I think I may do that with my little ones next time.

I can't wait to read the rest of your reports.

Mary
Old 03-11-2005, 12:26 PM   #6
luvey
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz's_girl
Me, DH, DS, and DD5: “DD6, wake up, wanna go to WDW?”
DD6 opened her eyes, looked at us and said: “No, get out of my room.”
DS: “DD6, We are going to WDW”
DD6: “It is the middle of the night. Go back to bed.”
Then all of a sudden, it hit her…..Disney World….they are serious!
DD6 jumps out of bed “Really, we are going to Disney World!””

that was too funny!!!!
Old 03-12-2005, 08:21 AM   #7
Buzz's_girl
Mouseketeer

bump
Old 03-12-2005, 09:16 AM   #8
Nanajo1
DIS Veteran

I'll be reading your reports but I sometimes I don't comment after each installment. Sorry if you didn't feel the love.
Thanks for posting.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Offsite 5/78,CR 11/85,BWV 3/99,OKW 11/99, BWV 3/01,OKW 11/01, BWV 3/02, BWV 1/03, OKW 11/03, BWV 2/04, BWV 11/04, BWV 2/05, OKW 11/05, BWV 2/06, AKL 11/06, BWV 11/06, BWV 02/07,OKW 11/07, BWV 02/08, BWV 11/08, BWV 02/09, BWV 11/09,VWL 01/10,OKW 02/10,BWV 11/10, AKV 11/10,BLT 03/11,OKW 03/11,BWV 11/11,AKL 02/12,BWV 03/12, BWV 11/12,OKW 02/13,AKL 03/13, BWV 11/13,OKW 11/13, OKW 02/14,AKLK 03/14, OKW 10/14,BWV 10/14
[url=http://distickers.com/ticker/][img]http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers/1l5laeked1k6rb
Old 03-12-2005, 09:38 AM   #9
TupperMom7
DIS Veteran

This reminds me of when we go to VA Beach. We live in the Northeast too, and when we go to VA we leave at 2am, but we don't really wake the kids up. We just have them sleep in their clothes, put shoes on when they get up and schlep out to the car and hope that they fall back to sleep. My dd, who is now 16, never fell back to sleep. I'd look back at her in the mirror and she would be wide awake!
We are leaving very early in the morning to go to WDW in April, but it's not a surprise for our kids. Mama can't keep her mouth shut about WDW, I'm always talking about our plans, etc. Can't wait to get there!
Thanks for the reports, keep them coming!
Old 03-14-2005, 02:58 PM   #10
kdtwiss
Mouseketeer

wow,good for you! Keeping it is a secret is a good idea - all that waiting is just unbearable for kids! I made the mistake of telling my children , including my oldest ds who is autistic and every commercial for a hotel, rentacar,Sea World,Disney World - whatever - he is yelling - DISNEY WORLD! HOTEL! SWIMMING! ROLLERCOASTER!
It si adorable, but I feel bad knowing how long he has to wait! He wants DISNEY NOW!
In contrast to your story - it is dh I am keeping the trip from.Kids are in on it, but not daddy - he would only moan and complain about the $$ and how we can't afford it and threaten to cancel it. I will tell him AFTER I have it all paid for. HEHHEHE. If he wants to stay home - so be it - I'M GOING!
Old 03-14-2005, 05:29 PM   #11
Buzz's_girl
Mouseketeer

bump
Old 03-14-2005, 10:35 PM   #12
sters
Enjoys visiting resorts at WDW
Likes the idea of getting the boat with a catered dinner

Reminds me a bit of my husband's surprise trip as a kid. His folks woke him up early in the morning, but not being a shiny, happy morning person, he was miffed instead of excited.

Great report! I can't wait to see the next installment!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: