Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2005, 12:02 PM   #1
Toby'sFriend
The thing about growing up with Fred and George is that you start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve.

Tell Me About Your Pool Heater, Please

because my head is literally --- swimming

I am in the process of trying to decide on the best heater for our 18 x 36 inground pool. When we purchased the house, there was an existing heater out by the pool, but the previous owner's never used the pool and never ran the heater. We messed with a couple of times the first summer, after cleaning a rats nest out of it but never got it going. This summer, I want warm water.

From what I can tell, the old thing out there is a Laars-Something 175,000 BTU, which from everything I can read isn't big enough for our pool. We want something that will heat the pool nicely, last a long time.... and not cost us our youngest child in utility bills.

Does anybody have any advice?
Toby'sFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 12:29 PM   #2
dg39
DIS Veteran

We have the Hayward H-Series heater for our pool. Its natural gas, but has an electric ignition. It heats our pool in minutes. Our pool is 22 X 42 and within a few short minutes its fully heated. We love it. We paid close to 2500.00 for it, but, we got it from our pool installers who tend to be alittle overpriced. I'm sure if you do a search on the internet you can find out more info. on it. I know what you mean though, because I can't go in a pool if the water is cold. I like it nice and warm so I don't go into shock when I first go in. Our heater is on everyday when the pool is opened and my gas bill isn't high at all....
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-04-2005, 12:54 PM   #3
XLT800
Mouseketeer

Pool heater

I don't know if this is feasable where you live but we use solar. My wife will not swim unless the water is 90 degrees. We have 90 degree water from April through Early October if we keep it covered at night. We have a thermostat so it shuts off if it gets to warm. $2500 to install and costs nothing to run it.

Dave
XLT800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 01:01 PM   #4
Toby'sFriend
The thing about growing up with Fred and George is that you start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve.

yes, DG, that is one of the models that I got some literature on from In The Swim, that and the Laars LX and the Laars Lite 2. I'm worried about whether or not our gas line will be big enough for a larger heater size however.

Dave, no that isn't really feasible here. I'm in the Chicago area and our temps run a bit cooler than Tampa. We do have a solar cover, but without a heater our water seldom reaches above 80 to 82 degrees, and that is in July.
Toby'sFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 02:17 PM   #5
Lynn CC
DIS Veteran who is a veteran DISer that realizes that there may be MORE than one TF!
If she can't be on a boat, wants to be at Disney World!

I have a Laars for our 18X36, it's the energy saver heater. It's digital, heats very fast and is very energy efficient! We love it, we keep the pool on 90 all the time.
Lynn CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 02:53 PM   #6
dg39
DIS Veteran

Toby'sFriend, we love In the swim. Thats where we order our chemicals. There the cheapest around and always come within 2 days of ordering. We also got our pool cover from them. Call them up, and ask them your questions, there real helpful. I do know that we had to run a gas line outside for the heater. But, thats all I know,wish I can be more help.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: