Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2005, 01:06 PM   #1
Madi100
DIS Veteran

Book Club Suggested Reading List?

Does anyone know of a list for books that are good for book clubs? I just joined a club, and we are looking for some good books. Thanks.
Madi100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 01:48 PM   #2
sharbear
DIS Veteran

I am reading a great book right now for my book club. It's called Strapless, John Singer Sangent and the fall of Madame X by Deborah Davis. It's about a famous painting and I am finding it utterly fasinating. I love non-fiction though. The person presenting this book has an art history minor and she has a very interesting take on art which I love.

Another great book that I think would be good for a book club is The Great Fire by Shirley Hazzard. It's about an American in Japan after WWII. Danacara recommended it, this book is written so beautifully.

I also liked Devil in the White City by Erik Larson. He also wrote Isaac's Storm which I think I liked better than Devil in the White City. Devil in the White City is about a serial killer in the backdrop of the Chicago World's Fair. Isaac's Storm is about a deadly Hurricane in Galveston. Really topical with the tsumani in the Pacific.

My Sister's Keeper was also a book that would generate a lot of conversation.
sharbear is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-03-2005, 02:16 PM   #3
Madi100
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharbear
I am reading a great book right now for my book club. It's called Strapless, John Singer Sangent and the fall of Madame X by Deborah Davis. It's about a famous painting and I am finding it utterly fasinating. I love non-fiction though. The person presenting this book has an art history minor and she has a very interesting take on art which I love.

Another great book that I think would be good for a book club is The Great Fire by Shirley Hazzard. It's about an American in Japan after WWII. Danacara recommended it, this book is written so beautifully.

I also liked Devil in the White City by Erik Larson. He also wrote Isaac's Storm which I think I liked better than Devil in the White City. Devil in the White City is about a serial killer in the backdrop of the Chicago World's Fair. Isaac's Storm is about a deadly Hurricane in Galveston. Really topical with the tsumani in the Pacific.

My Sister's Keeper was also a book that would generate a lot of conversation.
We just read My Sister's Keeper. We are reading Memoirs of A Geisha now and Good In Bed next.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:18 PM   #4
DVCLiz
That's me - proud defender of the Mega roll
click here to use the trolldar
We saw "I pooted" and thought it was a "New York" thing!

Madi100 - I'll be glad to share some of the things my book club has read or will be reading this year.

The Life of Pi
The Secret Life of Bees
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime
The Time Travellor's Wife
Girl with a Pearl Earring and Falling Angels
The Kite Runner
Reading Lolita in Tehran
What Was She Thinking? Notes on a Scandal
lots of good British contemporary fiction - we have an English member and she is always making good suggestions - read some descriptions of Booker prize winners
The Pact by Jodi Picoult (Her Sister's Keeper in the previous post is also by this author)
several Elizabeth Bergs, Sue Millers, Anita Shreves, Anna Quindlens, etc - popular novelists but books with a little meat to them - not Danielle Steel or what we call beach books

I love book club - it forces me to read good books that I otherwise might never pick up
DVCLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 02:33 PM   #5
mrssmh
Mouseketeer
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who is French Toast Impaired

OH, the Time Traveller's Wife. I loved that. It is a little screwy at first, but then you get used to it.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:45 PM   #6
DVCLiz
That's me - proud defender of the Mega roll
click here to use the trolldar
We saw "I pooted" and thought it was a "New York" thing!

mrssmh - I'm glad to hear it - I have to read it this weekend and I am the reviewer next week!! All my friends who have read it have loved it, so I'm looking forward to it.
DVCLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 03:01 PM   #7
lovemygoofy
Man I shot myself in the foot
I got new moves and everything ready for some serious tips
No, in case you ever wondered, golf carts can't float
Loved by many!

Hi Madi,

I read Good in Bed. It wasn't bad but did have some slow parts. I did feel better about myself after reading it though coincedentally.Hope you enjoy it.

Love doesn't make the world go around, it makes the ride worthwhile...
lovemygoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 03:16 PM   #8
Kimberle
WL Vet

Read "The Lost German Slave Girl".

It's a non-fiction book set in mid 1800's. I did a post abt it a couple of weeks ago. Just do a search.
Sept 04 CR 14th fl Concierge Aug 06 Royal Pacific, Club Level Aug 07 AKL, Club Level Aug 08, POR Aug 09 Beach Club Dec 10, Xmas in Tahiti Aug 11, WL Aug 12, Hawaii Apr 13, BC July 14, HRH, CR-MK Club Level
Kimberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 09:38 PM   #9
Madi100
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm hoping I can recommend something next time. I usually read the pointless books that are good but don't require much thought. I enjoyed My Sister's keeper, and I wouldn't have normally read it. Maybe I'll have to broaden my reading a little bit more.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:46 PM   #10
kasar
DIS Veteran

If you go on Amazon, they have book club lists. I find that the books I enjoy are often on these lists.

Oprah's list is pretty good.
kasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 10:01 PM   #11
BrerLizzie
I'm invisable
If you are invisible, how come the Tag Fairy can see you?
I love marshy-mellows
Stay off the sidewalks everyone, Lizzie GOT her drivers license!

I'm reading A Prayer For Owen Meany. It's got some lanuage, and some weird stuff, and it's sort of funny in an odd way. But my lit teacher recomended it to me, so it must be a good book. I heard it ends sad. I have 100 pages left
Old 03-03-2005, 10:04 PM   #12
kasar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrerLizzie
I'm reading A Prayer For Owen Meany. It's got some lanuage, and some weird stuff, and it's sort of funny in an odd way. But my lit teacher recomended it to me, so it must be a good book. I heard it ends sad. I have 100 pages left

My favorite book of all time - I hope you enjoy it.
kasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 10:18 PM   #13
lewdyan1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrssmh
OH, the Time Traveller's Wife. I loved that. It is a little screwy at first, but then you get used to it.

I agree...if you get a chance, read this book.

Dyan 0=====0

Too many times to count... but never enough!!!Twirl Trips 2010!August - Orlando, October -Orlando July - Savannah
lewdyan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 12:02 AM   #14
mrssmh
Mouseketeer
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who is French Toast Impaired

A Prayer for Owen Meany is another really great one. I love John Irving anyway and this is one of his best. You'll have to let us know what you think of it.

You too, DVCLiz-I'd love to hear what you think of The Time Traveller's Wife.

Another one I loved was I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:06 AM   #15
Hippychickali

I would recommend Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom if you haven't already read it.

Ali
Hippychickali is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: