Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2005, 06:34 AM   #1
MICKEEP
DIS Veteran

POLY.........Question / Concern / Trepidation

Since the POLY was one of the first hotels built at WDW, this fact alone makes me believe that its themeing would appear to be a bit dated and that the place would be rundown after all these years of constant use.

Recent guests please let me know your opinion..................thanks

We have never stayed at the POLY and are considering it this year.
(we are also considering a first time stay at AKL or a return to WL)

Our favorite WDW restaurant is Ohana's by the way.
MICKEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 06:38 AM   #2
cepmom
Mine are painted too
My kids call me a "trash picker"
Who wouldn't choose Chachi over a skunk?
I hate finding burning butts in my mulch!

they are in the middle of refurbishing the Polynesian this year, so I think that it would not look run down or shabby. Check out this site ~ it has lots of information on the Polynesian and may answer some of your questions.

http://tikiman2001.homestead.com/index.html
*lots of offsite trips growing up**3/1995 offsite**11/2002 Wilderness Lodge**8/2005 Polynesian~4 night DCL~Royal Pacific**8/2006 10th anniversary 3 night DCL**1/2007 SURPRISE 7 night Western DCL**2/2007 Caribbean Beach~Nationals Competition**8/2007 Girls Only Trip~Pop Century**8/2008 Port Orleans Riverside**12/2008 DH's Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century**9/2009 My Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century* *8/2010 California and Disneyland!*5/2011 Beach Club**6/2012 Coronado Springs mother/daughter graduation trip **8/2012 POFQ* 1/2014 Disney Marathon Weekend Old Key West*
2/2014 Princess 1/2 Marathon with DD
**Coming Up**8/2014 Disneyland 1/2 Marathon with DDGoing Coast to Coast
cepmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-25-2005, 06:43 AM   #3
Sandi
A proud Spartans fan!

I was at Poly last week and can tell you the place is beautiful --- theming, attractiveness, staff attentiveness, everything. They are doing some construction/improvements in the main building (the Great Ceremonial House) so there is some distraction from the overall beauty in that building. But, depending on when you go, it may just make the place all that much better. I believe several rooms/buildings were refurbished in the last few years. We were in Fiji.

The guest rooms are large and airy -- they felt much bigger than the WL (I've stayed there, but no the AKL). Housekeeping was great. The pool is very nice -- my 10 year old DD loved the slide (so did I). We also used the quiet pool. Transportation to MK and Epcot is wonderful via monorail (and boat for MK).

I would happily return to the Poly anytime. Check out tikiman's site for photos, etc. http://tikiman2001.homestead.com/

Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 06:52 AM   #4
disney4us2002
Tagless by choice!!

Since you mention 'Ohana I'm guessing you've been in the lobby a few times. Does that seem shabby or run down? We stayed in the Samoa bldg over Christmas and we thought it was very nice. The room was clean and there was no weird smell or moldy odor as some have mentioned. I thought the grounds were beautiful and well-kept too.

Here are a few pics we took while there:

View from our balcony:

Volcano pool at night:
disney4us2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 08:16 AM   #5
Mama2sean
Mouseketeer

Just returned from Poly 2/16-2/23. We stayed in Niue room 1706. I agree with everything Sandi said about this resort. It was wonderful! I would return in a heartbeat. The grounds, amenities, cast members were incredible. The Great Ceremonial house is beautiful (overlooking minor renovations) and the pool, beach, grounds perfect too. Every single cast member we encountered greated us with a smile and Aloha or Good Morning/Evening. This resort is truly a special place. I could go on and on...Try the Poly, you may be pleasantly surprised. Let me know if you have any questions.
Mama2sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 08:42 AM   #6
Ilovestitch
DIS Veteran

I don't think the Polynesian looks old or run down at all. We stayed in Fiji this past December and the room was super clean and everything looked brand new. A lot of the longhouses were rehabbed in 2002-2003. Compare that to the WL, which I don't think the rooms have ever been rehabbed since it opened.
Trips to WDW: '82 Ft. Wilderness, '91 Wilderness Cabins, '95 Offsite w/school trip, '96 ASM, '98 BWI/DCL, '00 CBR/DCL, '03 CBR/DCL, May '04 CBR/HRH, Dec. '04 Poly, May '05 AKL/Poly, Oct '05 AKL, May '06 Poly again, Oct '06 Beach Club/DCL, March '07 DL Grand Californian, Oct '07 DCL/Polynesian
Ilovestitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 09:25 AM   #7
Missus Toad
Amazing! She actually stays awake during the Hall of Presidents!

The Poly was gorgeous as ever in October. As someone who has been going Polynesian since the late 70's, I can say that the resort has been more than beautifully maintained over the years and looks as good as if not better than the newer deluxe resorts (I've stayed in just about all of them). If you're into the theme, you'll love the Poly.

Most recent 8/21/13-8/31/13 at GF and Poly.

Missus Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 09:28 AM   #8
PrinceJohn
Registered

Poly here we come!!!
8 days!
PrinceJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 09:42 AM   #9
eeyore45
Do-it-yourself pixie dust = buy a bag of glitter at the mall
Pixie dusts CMs for fun
I need my nectar - Dr Pepper anyone??

I think a better concern may be will you want to stay any where else?

We stayed there in August - it was hard being so close to MK, you could see it, but didnt want to leave the Poly!! DD 8 loved the pool, the slide, just being in "Hawaii" (to this day I'm not sure she really cares we were in Florida, no Hawaii!!)

Now I look over options, and dh is saying, lets go back with the tax refund - ummm but we were saving to do the Poly again... but I'm not turning down a trip...

With the Poly so close to the TTC, the monorails, it spoiled me!!! We also ate at Ohana's, and my fav part is one night everyone was exhausted, went to the room, and I got a "to go" from Kona's! (bought a bottle of wine from the store across from Kona, and they un corked it!!) We had such a relaxing dinner in our room, we were good to do for the late night -

I'm spoiled by the Poly!!!
eeyore45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 09:50 AM   #10
imatoad
DIS Veteran

Darn you princejohn, just about the time I come to terms with my 8 month wait, you creep back into my psyche. I was at the Poly last Oct., the place is just as wonderful and well kept as ever. eeyore is right, the question is not whether to stay there, but rather why stay anywhere else. Forgive my biased opinion.
imatoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 10:01 AM   #11
disneyforme33
Mouseketeer

Poly is our absolute favorite resort. We just stayed there in Nov 2004. THe grounds are spectacular and the rooms are very clean and well maintained. We don't like to stay anywhere else.
disneyforme33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 10:12 AM   #12
Bride In The Attic
DIS Veteran

I have been staying at the Poly on a regular basis since the year it opened (I was 5!) - don't worry at all about it being outdated. The resort has be rehabed many times and is currently undergoing yet another one....it is a beautiful as ever.

As another poster has said...I would be more concerned about getting hooked. We have really fallen in love with the WL but to us there is still nothing like the Poly....I swear my blood pressure drops 100pts the minute I set foot in the GCH.....

Addicted to the Poly since 1974!
First trip: Jan 74 Polynesian "Village" Resort - 20 trips since
Bride In The Attic is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: