Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2005, 09:33 PM   #1
jcodespoti

DIS Veteran

Food Allergies

Does anyone have experience with trying to enjoy WDW, all the while with some pretty restricting food allergies? Just found out I can't have dairy, wheat or sugar! Help!!!!! What can I eat?
jcodespoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 09:41 PM   #2
Laurajean1014
WISH Biggest Loser/Blue Team
Therefore, I have no other input!
Sit back, relax and enjoy the adventure
The looty booty was the best beginning

Not much. I have intolerances to Gluten, Chocolate, egg yokes, milk, paremaesen cheese and all other aged cheeses.

However, I love to stay at OKW, so in the morning I have oatmeal (low sugar by Sturms) or I make myself a white egg omlet with a small amount of cheese and ham.

Lunch is whatever I want at WDW. Usually I have a big salad with lots of stuff in it.

Dinner: You can go to Jiko's, California Grill, Citrico's and many more of the finer restaurants to get great meals without the stuff you are allergic to.

With my food allergies, I need to have a good memory: I can eat whatever I want, but I have to make sure that if I do, that I do not do it, constantly. I need to know that I had pasta on Monday and not to have pasta or a bagel until Saturday, to give my body time to get the "bad stuff" through.

You can also ask you Dr. for a note/list and give it to the waiter to have the Chef review it. (Especially if you need a epipen).

Hope this helps.
Is equal to the love you make.
Laurajean1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-24-2005, 09:47 PM   #3
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcodespoti
Does anyone have experience with trying to enjoy WDW, all the while with some pretty restricting food allergies? Just found out I can't have dairy, wheat or sugar! Help!!!!! What can I eat?
My son has numerous food allergies and he is anaphylactic to three different things. We have just added wheat back into his diet but he was wheat free for years and remains dairy free. I would think avoiding sugar wouldn't be hard as long as you don't have desserts, but I don't know that for a fact. WDW is the only place I am very comfortable letting my son eat (besides home). Knock on wood, we have never had any issues.

If you are dining at sit down restaurants, let the CM know that you need to speak to the chef and they will give you the phone number. I call and confirm the day before, as well. When you arrive, let them know that you have talked to the chef. He/she always comes out to our table to verify everything. They have gone out of their way to make some great dishes for my son. We have never been disappointed.

If you are eating at any of the counter service places, they all have books that list the ingredients in every item.

The only thing I can't stress enough is that if you make a PS with special requests, please show up or call and cancel. I have been told by so many chefs that people request all sorts of things and then they don't show up. It is very frustrating for them. If people continue to do this, they will not be as accommodating in the future. Have fun~

Lisa
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 10:09 PM   #4
luv2nascar
You're a wizard Harry. And a thumpin good one.
I love the beavertails, I think that it is the maple and chocolate I love best
Leave my drink alone!

good luck. Sounds like you could have my favorite meal nice juicey NY strip steak and baked potatoe
luv2nascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 10:14 PM   #5
daughter_of_amid_chaos
very very very careful about what I post
Daniel thinks I'm a REBEL! ;)

I went to Disney in 2002 with a gluten allergy. My entire diet was gluten free. I brought along a book that listed what i could and could not eat.
When you call to make reservations at restaurants, tell them you have a person with food allergies and tell them the specific allergies.
They will have the chef come out and go over the menu with you and tell you what you can and cannot have.
I did just fine with my gluten free diet in disney.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: