Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2005, 01:46 PM   #1
MonkeyBoyThom
Earning My Ears

Possible deal? negotiate a Disney's Magical Express with a taxi.

OK, I've heard all the bad press about the Mears shuttle service and how this is going to be the official service for Disney's Magical Express, where you ride to and from Disney free.

The taxi companies are well aware of this and here is where you might have something from which to bargain. How much does a taxi cost to deliver two people to Disney? $20 per person, one way? I don't have the latest quote. Obviously these taxis aren't going to drive you there for free, but if you are firm in your horsetrading ways, I bet you will talk them down. You get there quicker and while not free, it will be less than before this new service.

Before this service, all the reputable services agreed on a price structure. That way there is competition and no one is cutthroating the others. Obviously the gypsy cabs will say one thing (unbeliveably cheap) and mean another and those are the dangerous ones to watch out for.

As always, "buyer beware," when thinking a deal is too good to be true.
MonkeyBoyThom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 06:14 PM   #2
safetymom
Have will travel
ABD trips = clothes optional

It costs about $50 one way not including tip from MCO to a Disney resort.

There will be new busses and more of them so I doubt the stories of Mears will happen with this new service.

Also the fact that you don't need to handle your luggage at all will be a big selling point for lots of people.
safetymom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2005, 08:29 PM   #3
macfamily
Mouseketeer

Um, seeing as how we have transportation to and from Disney via Mears, I'm wondering if anyone can link the bad press that there has been? It's way too late to change at this point, but I'd like to be more informed as to what to expect...

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2005, 08:49 PM   #4
Debbie
DIScovering DIS magic
WISHing my way to success!
Thought processes working overboard!
We have YOUR date so book it up!

I used Mears in January. Since I was flying, by myself, for the 'weekend', financially, it was the only solution. I got my pager at 3:50, and was loaded at 3:55. We wheeled out of there before 4:00, made 2 stops at the airport, and were out by 4:20. I was the last of three stops, and hugged my sisters at WL before 5:00. I don't think that that is all that bad.

šoš Lovin' the mouse from my Canadian house! šoš

offsite-'85
CBR-'90FWHomes-'94FWHomes-'97HIFS/BC-'99Dixie Landings-Jan. '00 (just the parents)HIFS/Dixie Landings-Aug.'00ASMu '01Courtyard by Marriott DTD '02Courtyard by Marriott DTD/Coronado Springs '03Wilderness Lodge-Marathon Weekend '05POP with youngest sister '05POP with FREE DINING '06ASMu with DH '07POP with youngest daughter '0825th anniversary trip at Poly '09POR (still Dixie in my heart) with DH '121 night Kidani Village before 7 night Disney Fantasy Cruise '13
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 08:14 AM   #5
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Our ride with Mears in '99 wasn't all that bad either. Yes, we were crammed into a van and had to put our bags under our feet. But, we had no wait at the counter when they found that we were going to the same resort as the 5 people waiting in the van. So, it only took us 45 minutes, from baggage claim to POR. But, for trips after that we have used towncars since it is really more cost effective for us with 3 or more traveling. However....Magical Express will suit us just fine. I love not having to worry about my bags. If they get lost, well, they get lost. I don't worry about it. I'll have my meds, bathing suit, passes, money, cameras, and fresh undies in my carry-on!! We'll be ordering our groceries on-line before we go, so don't need a grocery stop.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 01:32 PM   #6
mrp4352
DIS Veteran

Mears

My problem with Mears isn't on the front end, it's the back end. I usually non-rev to Orlando, so to get home, I need to be at the airport 90 minutes before the first flight home, usually 6:30 on a Sunday. Mears insists on picking me up between 3:30-4am to guarantee I'll be there by 5. So, I am very hopeful that Magic Express won't require that!!

Disney Dream Maiden Voyage trip report http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3#post40042393
May 21, 2012 Yukon Ho! Wonder cruise report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2937171
mrp4352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 02:06 PM   #7
CarolA

Hasn't been overlooked by the Tag Fairy

I just don't really feel like starting my vacation horse trading with a taxi cab! LOL.
Also, I am not sure about Orlando since I have never taken a cab, but in lots of major cities that is not going to be real feasible. For example, I take a cab in Atlanta a lot. The dispactcher at the airport calls up the next cab and you get in. There is not a method for you to discuss the "pricing" with the cab and "go to the next" one if cab a won't give you the "deal" you want.

By the time you finish the deal making will you really save that much time?

This idea seems like more work that it is worth and besides no matter what the cab will still be more expensive. (They aren't going to take you for free)
Old 02-18-2005, 03:12 PM   #8
CheapMom
DIS Veteran

I have used Mears 4 times with no problem. What is it that people don't like about it. (I stopped using them because we didn't like the price- but that complaint is soon to be moot)

Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort ~ Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa

CheapMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 03:20 PM   #9
Hippychickali

I don't think your "horse trading" will work at all. It's not like these taxis will be hungry for customers. There are plenty of people going to WDW who would be more than happy to pay $50 + to get there quickly and not on a bus.

Ali
Hippychickali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 03:27 PM   #10
CheapMom
DIS Veteran

Anyone staying offsite will need a taxi (or Mears or rental car...) - so while the demand for taxis will come down some- it isn't like these guys are going to go out of business because of magical express.

Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort ~ Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa

CheapMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 05:39 PM   #11
disneymom3
I think I could adjust!!
Owns a S'mores maker .... yum
I have declared a moratorium on the food/kid appliances

I am thinking that while they might see a slight drop in WDW bound customers, I am pretty sure that people go to Orlando for other things. (gasp!!)
Old 02-18-2005, 09:44 PM   #12
Jasminesmommy
My dh pops the can for me
I am addicted to these "As seen on TV" gadgets
A new Barbie would be nice

I am a mears hater. Last 2 times I had to wait over half an hour for a bus even though I had a reservation and my Plane was on time. I was at AS so was the last stop. On the way back both times my Bus never came even though I called like I was suppose to. I would rather rent a Town car Like I did last time. I will never use Mears again not even now that its free. To much frustration on my vacation.

Also I heard it wasn't mears though. Its Disney and the same line used to take people to the Cruise. They are hiring people now on Monster.com

Jasminesmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 10:03 PM   #13
epcotfan
Kitty!
Everyday I wake up and think about Disneyland
I think it is sheer luck, endurance and compromise

I really don't see how you can negotiate a price on a metered cab unless you search the airport for someone working privately. I am more than happy to use a cab at MCO for travel to WDW as they are convenient and fast. Well worth the money.

Last edited by epcotfan; 02-18-2005 at 10:40 PM.
epcotfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 10:13 PM   #14
Hippychickali

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasminesmommy
Also I heard it wasn't mears though. Its Disney and the same line used to take people to the Cruise. They are hiring people now on Monster.com
I'm pretty sure it's Mears.

Ali
Hippychickali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 10:34 PM   #15
skiwee1
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippychickali
I don't think your "horse trading" will work at all. It's not like these taxis will be hungry for customers. There are plenty of people going to WDW who would be more than happy to pay $50 + to get there quickly and not on a bus.

Ali
I agree! There is no way I would use Mears or the free Magical Express. I would rather pay $100 for a towncar which is what I am doing. I am sure there are plenty of folks going to WDW that doesn't want to be trapped on a cattle car and is willing to pay to get to their resort. The cabs will not be hurting.
skiwee1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: