Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2005, 01:44 PM   #1
joellyn23
Mouseketeer

Question Could really use help with picking a rental home (M)

I really think we want to try getting a rental home for our trip at the end of May (21-28th). We want a pool and jaquizzi.

Does anyone have any personal experience they can share? What do I need to look for? Any subdivisions better than others? I found a home that's available in Rolling Hills. Is that a convenient drive to the parks?

Also, is it worth it to pay for pool heat that time of year?

My husband really wants to rent a home - but I feel so clueless with the whole process.

Thanks, in advance!

Joellyn
joellyn23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 06:58 PM   #2
AnotherDisneyFan
Earning My Ears

I am very interested in these questions as well. Thanks for asking joellyn23. I was looking to do the hotel thing but now my husband wants me to look into a house rental. 4bedroom, pool, jacuzzi and we are going Nov26-Dec9.
AnotherDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2005, 07:35 PM   #3
bvc314
Earning My Ears

I'm renting a 4BR pool home in Rolling Hills in June. I would also like to know if anyone has stayed in Rolling Hills before. The rental company I used is [url]www.justfloridavacations.com. The pictures look wonderful and I talked to the owner on the phone, so hopefully everything will be great.
bvc314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 07:53 PM   #4
maps
DIS Veteran

I've stayed in Indian Creek 2 yrs in a row and I believe Rolling Hills was just across the street. The houses seemed nice and the location to disney is fabulous.
maps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 05:09 AM   #5
kaylajr
Ultimate WPASADI Co-Winner

So tell us, we STILL want to know: What do Michael Landon and Tommy Lee have in common?

DISboards Moderator

I have stayed in Rental homes every time i go
last Oct was the best one ever

Any specific questions feel free to send me a PM
Rental homes are great with familys
we alway had breakfast ( except for our PS day) at the house
lunch and snack in the park and back home for dinner and a swim
gave the whole family much needed down time

i never stayed in Rolling hill so i can't help you there sorry

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein
I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death.

The Marchioness of Soxington, Princess Royal of Wasabia

kaylajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 01:00 PM   #6
kilee

The Tag Fairy knows all, sees all.....
Love is in the air!

In Oct/Nov 2003 we rented 2 homes for our extended family WDW trip. We had a 3 bedroom in Emerald Island. Also a 5 bedroom in Hampton Lakes.

Both were rented direct through www.orlandovillas.com by the owners themselves. We did a lot of research and decided that going direct seemed to be the cheapest and best route to go. Another great site for that is www.vrbo.com which I'm looking into now for our April trip, we are trying to decide between a house or condo.

Anyhow, both houses were truly gorgeous and pretty new. (I'd say both only 2-3 yrs old at the most). The one in Hampton Lakes was about a 15-20 minute drive. The distance was reflected in the price though as it was less than a $100 difference from the 3 bedroom. The 3 bedroom which was in Emerald Island was 5 minutes to WDW property at best. This subdivision had more "amenities". The 5 bedroom house had more amenities personally though. We had pool heat at both, and were glad we did as the evenings were cool and that water would of cooled right off.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:22 PM   #7
winniedapooh
Busy and proud Mom of 5 Disney Cherubs!
I am so proud of my princess!
A smart lady who knows better than to question the wisdom of the tag fairy

We will renting the same home in Windsor Palms for the third time in two years at Christmas. It is a beautiful home and a wonderful owner. I go through Global to rent and have never had a problem. I do not know about the other developments as I am one of those "when you find a good thing hang onto it" people. I would not get pool heat in May. I don't think you will need it. You may want to see if it is negotiable. A lot of owners will negotiate a fixed price if you ask. We love renting now for the laundry, privacy, the proximity, etc. Good luck and have a great trip.

winniedapooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 10:07 PM   #8
Jimdamedic
Mouseketeer

After bunches of research, the one tip I can offer is that it seems you will pay a bit of a premium to be located in the closest subdivisions. Wyndsor Palms Emerald Island and Formosa Garden area seem to be the most expensive. We rented a 4 bedroom house in Orange Tree resort that was about 3/4 the price of a less well appointed house closer to the parks. The difference in driving time is about 15 minutes. It's all about your needs and preferences.
Jimdamedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 08:30 PM   #9
AnotherDisneyFan
Earning My Ears

Winniedapooh, what is global? When are you going in dec.? We are going then too!
AnotherDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 09:23 PM   #10
kilee

The Tag Fairy knows all, sees all.....
Love is in the air!

I'm interested in a website link too for "global". Thanks in advance!!
Old 02-16-2005, 08:47 AM   #11
crazywig
DIS Veteran

rollings hills is less than ten minutes to the mk gate . it is behind 'splendid china' on 192 if you know where that is.

we stayed there in jan '03 in a 6br and loved the location. we found our house thru www.vrbo.com

crazywig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 08:33 PM   #12
Taratink
DIS Veteran

My sister in law always uses premier homes. She has had 4 great experiences with them.
Tara
Taratink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 11:24 PM   #13
PattiPB
I'll be happy to learn the secret fruitcake dance once it is perfected
What happens in Vegas doesn't stay in Vegas for a DISing marathon runner
You might have to run all the way here to Vegas

We stayed in a home in December located in Rolling Hills estates. All I can say is OH MY GOD!!!! It was AWESOME for a large group, and the price! 10 nights in December for $1495 inclusive total.

We had a 6 bedroom home with a loft (PS2), garage/gameroom (air hockey, pool table), pool and jacuzzi overlooking a small lake. THREE master bedrooms (ensuite bathrooms), two bedrooms with a jack/jill bathroom, and one other bedroom with a bathroom across the hall. The pool had direct access to one of the bathrooms, so you didn't have to go through the house.

Rolling Hills was very close to WDW using the Sherberth Road "shortcut". Never any traffic or hassle. I highly recommend the area near the old Splendid China!!!

Anyone who would like the email for the owner, please pm me. BTW---we have found both the homes we've rented on VRBO.com.

WDW '77, '81, '85-'96, '99, '01-'14 DCL Wonder '04, '05, '11
UO '88-'89, '99, '01, '04-'06, '08, '10-'11, 13 DL AP holders '96-'03, '05-'11 Day Guest '12 - '14

DVC Owners at SSR!!! January 2007 Visited so far: SSR, OKW, AKL-KV & J, VWL, & BWV!

runDISNEY Events: Expedition Everest Challenge (2013 and 2014) Tower of Terror 10-miler (2013)
Disneyland Half (2014) Wine & Dine Half (2014) Star Wars Half (2015)
ME!, DH, DD '94, DS '96, DS '98
PattiPB is offline   Reply With Quote