Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2005, 09:47 AM   #1
civileng68
That May scare the poopy out of me...

Disney Thought: Edition 4: Will The Mouse Always be The Main Attraction?

Disney Thought: Edition 4:

Disney Thought: Edition 3 brought out all of the same thoughts by each Disney fan who posted. However, Edition 4 may not be so likely to do the same thing. But then again, most of us are in fact purists.

As we all know, and as Walt so greatly quoted it, "It all started with a mouse", and still to this day, Disney flaunts the mouse around the parks. However, as with anything, times change and changes are made. There's nothing wrong with this. However, even with newer cartoons that do in fact keep the Mouse "alive" in today's youth's minds, there is somewhat of a feeling that the "core" characters, the "classics" are possibly one day to be forgotten in our children's minds, and if not their minds, their children's minds. There is a fear among some Disney purists that the future of DisneyWorld in terms of keeping with it's true roots may change in future generations as kids become more interested in higher technology and hand drawn animation becomes less and less interesting. As as any company would, if this happens Disney will have no choice but to change to it's current market at that time, possibly leaving the "true" mouse behind. If not completely left behind, can we expect to see Pixar (whoops, sorry, no that won't be happening), or rather, some comany greating a computer generated Mickey to try and appeal to the future generations? Or will future generations have less interest in the mouse, unless he's wielding a laser gun fighting japanese animated "things"? There's nothing wrong with the newer direction that kids are moving, but is Disney going to be forced 10,20,30 years down the road to change away from it's roots?
Don't think this is likely to happen? Ask some kids "maybe not your own as you've influenced them to the mouse", their favorite Disney character. It's in all likelyhood not to be Mickey Mouse. In fact, it's not likely to be Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Minnie Mouse, Goofey, Pluto, or any classics. It's likely to be Stitch, or Buzz Lightyear, or something along those lines. Again, there's nothing wrong with that. However, I believe as Disney purists, we should all show our kids the Disney classics to keep them interested in it. Sure, even if Disney never promoted Snow White ever again, the ride at WDW would be successful. It's a dark ride, and even if kids never have heard of it, they'll love it just for the ride itself. However, the true "Disney" ideals may have been lost. It's up to use to show our kids, and ourselves even older Disney Classics, from as old as Cindarella and Snow White to as recent as The Little Mermaid. My kids will hopefully be Disney "junkies" such as my wife and I are.
I do know that kids no matter what age, if shown and introduced to certain things will take interest in it in most cases. I never lived (I'm 25) in the days of Cindarella and Snow White, but I have the movies and watch them both. I love them because I love Walt Disney and Walt Disney World. Walt Disney is one of my heros, and I really never lived to know him as he died before I had the chance to ever see him on TV or listen to him on the radio or see him in commercials.
For this reason, I think outside of the parks, it's important for parents (us junkies of Disney) to bring our kids up on Disney Classics, so that Disney can change, but also stay to it's roots and not be forced to leave the Mouse behind. It can add whatever it may and still make the Mouse the Main Attraction.
I suggest the Disney, somewhere within it's boundaries, create an in park movie theatre that shows Disney Movie Classics all day every day. It can be the type of thing where you can come and go as you please (they'd have to find a way to keep it from being disruptive) and they show all of the Disney Classics. It would serve many great purposes. It would be a great way to see Disney Classics that you normally don't get to see. It is a great rest from the heat and to rest your legs (that one's for you parents), and best of all, think of this.......................Can you imagine the Disney atmosphere that you could have in there? It's good enough just watching a Disney classic and feeling like you are in the thick of it. But the threatre could be heavily themed all around it, even inside of the theatre.
I think this would be a GREAT testament to Walt Disney, and to the true roots and meanings for which he founded these characters and the park in which you would be watching the movies. It would help keep the dreams alive. There's one thing I do know...........it would affect children forever. I never remember half of the movies I watch, or even the names, but you know what, when I was a kid, I saw Captain EO at Epcot. I was only 4 years old, but you know what? I remember every second of that movie. I remember all about it and that's where I gained my love for Michael Jackson's music. So I know the kind of affect it has on kids to see a movie in the parks, and that wasn't even a Disney Classic. Bring on, what I am going to call the "Mousterpiece Theatre" (some of you may remember that name).

Last edited by civileng68; 02-11-2005 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Title Change
civileng68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 11:51 AM   #2
civileng68
That May scare the poopy out of me...

Sorry:

Sorry I had to bump:
civileng68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: