Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2005, 09:19 AM   #1
ltviolets
Earning My Ears

Question Permission for children to travel with one parent

We will be cruising with our divorced daughter and DGD . I read that we will need noterized permission from the father. Any information on wording, etc. will be appreciated
Old 02-09-2005, 09:40 AM   #2
Cinderalex
Earning My Ears

If I remember correctly, I think I saw a form already printed in our doc's for our 1-23 cruise. I would have to look again but I am pretty sure. Hope this helps. Maybe someone else will chime in to verify that. Have a wonderful cruise!

Cinderalex is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2005, 10:33 AM   #3
ivanova
DIS Veteran
Hi, my name is Ivanova and I am a pinaholic.

If she has full physical custody, a copy of the court docs should be sufficient.

If she has shared/joint custody, a notarized letter from the parent not cruising would be best.

PAST: 04/2000 - WDW - off property, 2 weeks ** 04/2002 - WDW - off property, 2 weeks ** 11/2003 - Disney Wonder, 4 nights Bahamas (pin cruise) ** 11/2003 - WDW - Coronado Springs Resort, 4 nights ** 11/2004 - Disney Wonder, 4 nights Bahamas (pin cruise) ** 03/2005 - Carnival Elation, 7 nights Western Caribbean ** 08/2005 - Disney Magic, 14 nights Eastbound Panama Canal Crossing ** 11/2005 - RCCL Monarch of the Seas, 3 nights Baja ** 07/2006 - Disney Wonder, 3 night Bahamas ** 09/2006 - Disney Wonder - 10 night Southern Caribbean ** 11/2006 - Disney Wonder - 4 night Thanksgiving ** 02/2007 - Star Princess, 7 night Western Caribbean ** 03/2007 - NCL Norwegian Sun, 7 night Western Caribbean ** 04/2007 - RCCL Monarch of the Seas, 3 night Baja ** 05/2007 - RCCL Liberty of the Seas, 2 nigh Pre-inaugural ** 06/2007 - RCCL Radiance of the Seas, 7 night Northbound Alaska ** 05/2008 - RCCL Monarch of the Seas, 3 night Baja ** 11/2008 - Celebrity Solstice, 2 night pre-inaugural ** 11/2008 - RCCL Enchantment of the Seas, 5 night Western Caribbean

NEXT: 11/2009 RCCL Oasis of the Seas (pre-inagurual)
ivanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 11:01 AM   #4
wdwmom2
It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow
Hopefully the Disney magic will kick in
my co-workers made me bath in Scope mouth wash
Fractured Prune is like donut Heaven

I'm in the same situation. Both DH and have have children from previous marriages. This past April we did the land/sea with his youngest and my youngest. There are forms in your documents that the other parent fills out and gets notorized.

But on one even looked at or even asked for these docs when we boarded.

wdwmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 11:05 AM   #5
pfishgirl
In Loving Memory of Our Son 5/6/90 - 5/13/09

I never knew you needed permission for a child to go. I am divorced and have been on the cruise several times and was never even questioned about this..
Does she have the same last name as either of you?

I Love You
pfishgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 11:09 AM   #6
Squeakcat
Mouseketeer

Be Prepared

I'm not divorced, but a single parent via adoption. I just wanted to caution people not to skip the important step of making sure you can prove you have the right or the permission to take your child out of the country. I've heard many people say "Oh, they never check." Well, my family is living proof that they do.

In the summer of 2003 my mother and I travelled with my two children from the United States to Vancouver, B.C., to take an Alaskan cruise on RCCI. When our cruise was over, we were stopped while disembarking in Vancouver and I was asked to provide documents proving they were my children and that there was no other parent. The Canadian officials went over everything, tried to pick up the corners of photos, held seals up to the light, and appeared to be matching travel dates on our passports. Another official was called over to read original documents in Chinese. I was so glad I had everything with me. It only took a few minutes, but I could tell they meant business and that they were clearly searching for specific details.

I've had one or both kids out of the country a few times before that, and was never asked anything before except "Where is the father?" I was never asked to show any documents before except their passports, even when I took my elder daughter back to China.
Squeakcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 12:00 PM   #7
Q's My Princess
DIS Veteran

In the case of divorced parents.....

You can type up your own document stating that I, ________, father of ________ give permission for _(mother)_________ to take our daughter/son (the child's name) to ____________ from ________, 2005 through ____________, 2005.

The father will just need to sign and notorize this.

Very easy.

Last edited by Q's My Princess; 02-09-2005 at 12:00 PM. Reason: add wording
Q's My Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 12:02 PM   #8
ivanova
DIS Veteran
Hi, my name is Ivanova and I am a pinaholic.

why take the chance?

if you get the notarized letter and don't need it, great.

but what if you don't get it and are asked for it? Immigration can prevent you from boarding .. and you're left on the doc watching the ship leave without you.

PAST: 04/2000 - WDW - off property, 2 weeks ** 04/2002 - WDW - off property, 2 weeks ** 11/2003 - Disney Wonder, 4 nights Bahamas (pin cruise) ** 11/2003 - WDW - Coronado Springs Resort, 4 nights ** 11/2004 - Disney Wonder, 4 nights Bahamas (pin cruise) ** 03/2005 - Carnival Elation, 7 nights Western Caribbean ** 08/2005 - Disney Magic, 14 nights Eastbound Panama Canal Crossing ** 11/2005 - RCCL Monarch of the Seas, 3 nights Baja ** 07/2006 - Disney Wonder, 3 night Bahamas ** 09/2006 - Disney Wonder - 10 night Southern Caribbean ** 11/2006 - Disney Wonder - 4 night Thanksgiving ** 02/2007 - Star Princess, 7 night Western Caribbean ** 03/2007 - NCL Norwegian Sun, 7 night Western Caribbean ** 04/2007 - RCCL Monarch of the Seas, 3 night Baja ** 05/2007 - RCCL Liberty of the Seas, 2 nigh Pre-inaugural ** 06/2007 - RCCL Radiance of the Seas, 7 night Northbound Alaska ** 05/2008 - RCCL Monarch of the Seas, 3 night Baja ** 11/2008 - Celebrity Solstice, 2 night pre-inaugural ** 11/2008 - RCCL Enchantment of the Seas, 5 night Western Caribbean

NEXT: 11/2009 RCCL Oasis of the Seas (pre-inagurual)
ivanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 12:04 PM   #9
ambushangel
Mouseketeer

More Info

What about in the case where there was never a divorce and one parent has full sole custody?

Is a letter still required?
ambushangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 12:21 PM   #10
meandmad
Mouseketeer

I agree with Ivanova.. play it safe and get the letter. Better to have it and not need it. I read *somewhere* but now can't remember where that as long as a child is travelling with one of his or her parents, it's not necessary but I plan to not take the chance and get the letter from my ex.

Ambushangel, if you have some kind of legal documentation about the sole custody, I'd take a copy with me. If not, you could probably check with DCL.

Someone mentioned that there is a document in your packet but when do you get the docs? My cruise is Jan 06 and I've read of so many people not getting their docs until the last minute.

meandmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 12:26 PM   #11
DissyLove
Who are these children and why are they calling me "Mom"?

Regarding taking the child out of the country, that is not exclusive to divorced parents. My husband and I are married and both bioligical parents of our 3 kids, but long story short, we had work issues that would require us to sometimes travel solo out of the country with our kids. We were told by our lawyer that we should obtain notarized permission from the other parent to do so, just to be safe.

In the 5-7 times one of us has had to travel with kids and without the other, I know going to Mexico once I was asked about this at the gate boarding a plane, and one other times clearing customs. (Both times we showed our notarized parental notification/permission and then had no problems) So while you may not have any trouble, it is best to be cautious in my opinion.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:48 PM   #12
Squeakcat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambushangel
What about in the case where there was never a divorce and one parent has full sole custody?

Is a letter still required?

I would think not a letter, but a notarized copy of the decree awarding sole custody. The whole point of the checks is to prevent international child abductions. That is why both parents in most cases must be present to obtain a child's passport.
Squeakcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 12:56 PM   #13
GrumpyMom1
DIS Veteran

For those who are cruising to Mexico this summer, I heard that they are more strict. I had a signed letter for our last cruise and was never asked any questions. But I'm still getting one for this cruise just in case.
West Coast 7/9/05 - Disney Magic Eastern 7/12/03 - WDW/CBR 11/2000 - Disney Wonder 12/2000 - Pictures

GrumpyMom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 01:16 PM   #14
ambushangel
Mouseketeer

More Info (con't)

I had a really hard time getting him to sign the forms for the passport. I can just imagine what a time I'll have trying to get him to sign a form for the trip. I can just imagin the questions.

I probably won't be getting my papers till the end of Feb (traveling March 13th - 4 days), I'm worried that we won't have enough time to get everything done and signed (we don't live in the same city).

Can DCL send me my papers sooner to get the info I need?

Tks.
ambushangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 02:59 PM   #15
meandmad
Mouseketeer

Ambush, I have an idea of what you mean about not getting much cooperation. I JUST received an email from my ex asking me to agree to let our 7yo DD fly unaccompanied this summer -- from GA to CA. Unfortunately I am completely against it and our DD doesn't want to fly solo either. And before I get bashed, it's not sour grapes or anything of the sort -- I just don't get a warm fuzzy feeling about entrusting my DD to an underpaid stranger who has many other passengers to attend to. We won't even discuss the horror stories I've heard.

Anyway, after telling him respectfully that I don't agree to that, he will probably out of spite refuse to giving me documentation allowing me to take her on the cruise.
meandmad is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: