Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2005, 03:08 PM   #1
Corryn
DIS Veteran
Disney Commando
Why, yes, I'd Love an apple!

Men & boys Shorts to Dinner?

Hello,
Our friends went on the cruise and they wore shorts to dinner. They also said that other men and boys wore dress shorts to dinner. I'm reading here on the boards that it is a rule that men and boys MUST wear pants or khaki's.
What's the deal?
Can the men and boys wear dress shorts?
The two separate families wore the shorts and no one said anything to them about their wearing shorts.
Thanks!
Old 02-06-2005, 03:17 PM   #2
3DisneyNUTS
can't think of anything witty!
Actually ate an entire turkey leg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corryn
Hello,
Our friends went on the cruise and they wore shorts to dinner. They also said that other men and boys wore dress shorts to dinner. I'm reading here on the boards that it is a rule that men and boys MUST wear pants or khaki's.
What's the deal?
Can the men and boys wear dress shorts?
The two separate families wore the shorts and no one said anything to them about their wearing shorts.
Thanks!
Nothing will be said but is it appropriate or expected that men wear pants at least? Yes. IMO Dh who never ddresses up would feel out of place if he wore shorts to dinner on DCL. Our next trip he will even have even nicer clothes since we have been once and see how nicely most dress.

Our trips together since 1996 Dixie Landings.... Carribean Beach....Coronado Springs....Son's first trip.....Pop Century TWICE!...Purchased DVC....Disney Cruise Wonder...Saratoga Springs...Hilton Head...Saratoga Springs February 2005!...Sept 2005 Disney Wonder with Boardwalk Villas
UNIVERSAL May 2006 Stayed @ SSR baby!
1st trip to Disneyland Sept 2006 Grand Californian ...Universal August 2007 stayed at OKW .......Stayed at AKV Jambo House May 2009 baby Jason's first trip!
3DisneyNUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2005, 03:25 PM   #3
WDWLVR
DVC @ The Boardwalk
Have veranda will cruise
We cruised under a DVC flag - how cool is that?!?

No one may have said anything but they were definately going against Disney guidelines. It clearly states in the Navigator every day "No Shorts or Jeans" please.

Just because someone else did it doesn't make it right. My DH wears Dockers and Polos to most meals and is quite comfortable and looks great.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:29 PM   #4
GavinsMom
Disney Wonder here we come!

Kids?

I thought it was ok if kids wore dress shorts???
My son is 2 and I have a very nice outfit for him to wear and now I don't know if it's appropriate? It's a dress shirt and dress shorts.
Please let me know if this would be ok for a 2 year old????
Thanks!

Going on our 3rd Disney Wonder Cruise Feb 1st - Feb 5th!
GavinsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 03:39 PM   #5
3DisneyNUTS
can't think of anything witty!
Actually ate an entire turkey leg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinsMom
My son is 2 and I have a very nice outfit for him to wear and now I don't know if it's appropriate? It's a dress shirt and dress shorts.
Thanks!
I think as long as a 2 year old is comfortable and happy is what matters on DCL... Especially in a cute shorts outfit. It is older kids and men who should wear dressier clothes for meals. It is fun to dress up for dinner. Something we never do at home.

Our trips together since 1996 Dixie Landings.... Carribean Beach....Coronado Springs....Son's first trip.....Pop Century TWICE!...Purchased DVC....Disney Cruise Wonder...Saratoga Springs...Hilton Head...Saratoga Springs February 2005!...Sept 2005 Disney Wonder with Boardwalk Villas
UNIVERSAL May 2006 Stayed @ SSR baby!
1st trip to Disneyland Sept 2006 Grand Californian ...Universal August 2007 stayed at OKW .......Stayed at AKV Jambo House May 2009 baby Jason's first trip!
3DisneyNUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 03:47 PM   #6
ChrisnSteph
Ask me about Ben Franklin's bathroom habits...
this really dills my pickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinsMom
Thanks!
That would be perfectly fine for him to wear. The policy is no shorts or jeans, and many people do wear just that. It's against policy, but many people do it. I think shorts that are of the Dockers brand or dressier khaki shorts (think resort casual) with a nice button up shirt or polo looks decent and appropriate for dinner. We just got back yesterday from the Western. My boys (2 and 3) wore both nicer shorts or nice pants (bought at Target for 6.99! a piece) and hawaiian shirts or button up shirts, and my husband did the same. You'll find that by the end of the cruise, many people are wearing whatever is comfortable (but still decent) to dinner.
ChrisnSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 04:07 PM   #7
WDWLVR
DVC @ The Boardwalk
Have veranda will cruise
We cruised under a DVC flag - how cool is that?!?

I think a toddler would be fine in shorts. It is the older kids and adults who shouldn't wear them.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:14 PM   #8
suesings
Mouseketeer

ChrisnSteph

I was wondering how it was cruising with your 2 year old? Did you use Flounder's Reef at all? Did you 3 year old go to the clubs? We have a will-be 5 year old and a will-be 22 month old and cruising in late May.

Thanks,
Sue
suesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 05:56 PM   #9
webray
Love the wineauxs!

There always has to be those few people who do it..just because.
They were also naughty children...lol.
webray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 06:12 PM   #10
Disney Fans
Disney Fans

I was told by DCL that it was ok for young boys to wear shorts. We went last May and both boys (age 4 and 1 at that time) both had on shorts and cute polos but Dad wore pants and polo type shirt. This was only at dinner, any other time is fine for anyone to wear shorts and t-shirt. I didn't see any men wearing shorts at dinner at the time we went.
Hope this helps
Old 02-06-2005, 06:49 PM   #11
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

It use to be ok for men to wear shorts for Tropical night only. Our servers told us that was fine. On our past cruise I asked Rudy again for Pirate night & he said that it would be fine since alot of people still wear their tropical wear that night. However, DH checked the navigator before dinner & got upset that I told him it was ok because it said no in there. He changed into khakis to go with his tropical shirt.

Regarding little boys, I agree that the look darling in some of the dressy short sets. DS had some with bow ties & suspenders.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 06:51 PM   #12
jkovick
DIS Veteran
Magic Kingdom is always the sentimental favorite
I have a cat named "Tinkerbell", but we usually call her "Stinkerbell" cause she tends to get in trouble a lot!

I didn't notice any men wearing shorts at dinner. Better to have DH were khakis and not feel out of place.
jkovick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 07:10 PM   #13
ChrisnSteph
Ask me about Ben Franklin's bathroom habits...
this really dills my pickle

I've been on three cruises, and I've always seen men in shorts at dinner. Not all men, just some. You see it more toward the end of the cruise. Some people are on vacation and just want to be comfortable. And as long as they are dressier shorts and paired with a nice shirt and nice shoes, it doesn't look bad or out of place. Not to mention, once you sit down at your table noone can tell what you have on from the waist down anyways. My hubby wore dockers, but once or twice he wore dockers shorts with a button up top, but he looked great.
ChrisnSteph is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: