Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2005, 09:51 AM   #1
thelittlemermaid
My life was forever changed when my Angel was born
I have had this question in my head for along time

Location: Ohio,but in my heart I live in Cinderella Castle :o)

Anyone stop payment on a check and your bank did nothing about it????

Here's the story, I will try to make it short. I have been sick for awhile and DH thought he would help me out and pay a bill over the internet. When you pay this type of bill they ask for a check # and issue their own check. Well he forgot to tear out the check and the physical check got used. When he told me about it I got on our bank's website and issued a stop payment, mind you this was after 8 am before the bank opened so they should have gotten it that day. I also reissued another check to the place that he paid, and also included that on the stop payment page with what check number that I used. I printed out the webpages that way I had proof and also the confrimation #.
Well the new check that I issued got to the bank and cleared, then the OTHER one that I stopped payment on all so got there and you might have guessed it, didn't clear. {DUH, the other already had!} So the bank turns around and returns the check as NSFs. Then charges me for a NSF check fee and a return check fee. ?????? The story gets worse, a day later it comes back and again they return it as NSF. And again I get charged a return check fee. AAAHHHH!!!!! Plus cause of this mess and them charging me yet again a fee, my car insurance payment didn't go through and was returned. I hope they will run that through again, but that is not the point. When I issued the stop payment that is what I expected to happen, the payment would be stopped. The place still got paid, but with another check #.
I don't know what is going to happen next thanks to this bank. I have never had this happen before.
The last straw was when I went into the bank, mind you still sick, to make a deposit I asked the teller about what was going on. She gives me a print out of my account and says that the check amount and the fees were going to be put back into my account. When I got home I called our bank's over the phone account services and sure enough it was saying the amount of the check and fees would be going back in. Later that night I called again and it proceeds to tell me that the amount of the check was put back in, but the fees were not. AAAAHHH!!!!! Cause of that extra fee, is the reason my car insurance payment didn't clear. AAAHHHHH!!!!!

Anyone work for a bank that can give me some insite of what is going to happen next to the check that was suppose to have payment stopped, but keeps getting returned? I am so mad I could spit bullets!!!! I called the lady at the bank when all this started and she told me that things would be taken care of. Well that was the day I went into the bank and got the print out. When I saw that things still hadn't been takin care of I called her yesterday and left a message, no return call. I called her again this morning, very upset, and again had to leave a message. Still no call.

Sorry it is so long! I am trying to get better, but with stressing out about this, isn't helping anything. I have been putting up with this crap since 1/25, that's when I issued the stop payment.

Thanks for letting me rant and vent!
thelittlemermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 10:25 AM   #2
canwegosoon
I need an Orli six-pack

Even though you place a stop payment on a specific check #0000, when the bank issues it, the computer looks for the amount (eg. $250.) and will usually kick out all checks for that amount. I would bring in a copy of the stop check order, and all you NSF charges. Speak with you branch manager, and ask for the charges to be reversed. Ask for them to explain the process to you. Be polite, and honest. Explain how you are confused, and how happy you are with the bank, but disappointed that this happened.

Bank managers have lots of discression, but you will get no where if you get mad. Also going in face to face helps. Good Luck.
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2005, 10:27 AM   #3
MosMom
Damn you, you wretched clown!
McDonald's gives me the poots
Saved Jack Bauer from a tornado!
Dreads the "Theater Fart"

Uhhh not to hijack but I just realized your name was canwegosoon. I always used to say Canwesgoon. I always wondered what a Canwes Goon was.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:30 AM   #4
robinb
DIS Veteran

Wow! What a mess .

Let me see if I understand what is going on. You issued 2 checks with the same number. An eCHeck number #123 and a paper check #123. Realizing your mistake the next business day you put a stop payment on check #123 hoping that would cover both the eCheck and the paper check. You then wrote 2 more checks to replace both the #123's. One of the #123's (or both? I'm confused here) keeps being returned for NSF and your bank keeps on charging you fees. In the meanwhile, your Insurance check gets returned NSF since the fees ate up the money set aside for your Insurance.

My guess is that since your bank allows you to specify the check # when you write an eCheck this is not an unusual occurance. Did you call the bank to ask them what you should do? Did you call the places that received the #123 checks to let them know you were sending a new check? If you did the right thing by putting a stop payment on check #123, then your bank owes you all the fees charged to you, even those fees charged by the check #123 recipients and your Insurance company. I know that I once received a check from someone that was NSF and I had to pay my bank fees for just trying to cash it. It was a PITA.

{{hugs}} I hope you can talk to your bank soon! Take a deep breath and be calm ... calm ... ...
Old 02-04-2005, 10:30 AM   #5
canwegosoon
I need an Orli six-pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosMom
Uhhh not to hijack but I just realized your name was canwegosoon. I always used to say Canwesgoon. I always wondered what a Canwes Goon was.
You know I had to read that 3X's
CAn we go soon? My kids every day! Getting close!
Old 02-04-2005, 10:35 AM   #6
robinb
DIS Veteran

I just wanted to add ... since you can make any check # on an eCheck, why don't you just add a number to the current check # in your book so this doesn't happen again. So, instead of check #123 you would write check #20123 and then you would know which are eChecks and which are paper checks.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:15 AM   #7
thelittlemermaid

I can see how it can be confusing.

Here's what happened, check #000 got used to pay for the gas bill {$200} over the internet. Check # must be of an actul check. The gas company uses a third party to take their payments. Then they issue their own check with that check #. Then the physical paper check it's self got used at Wal mart {$20} for medicine for me in a different town then were I live.

So it was alot easier to cancel the payment to the gas companies third party and just reissue another payment to them with a different check # in the same amount. Instead of canceling the physical check it's self that went to Wal mart.

Hope that clears up somethings. Since I'm sick, maybe I should go back to the bank and breath on everyone. Maybe then that would get them on the ball to make things right.

Thanks for the replys!!!
Old 02-04-2005, 11:19 AM   #8
flgirl2u
Earning My Ears

What was the time frame that all this took place? In my job, I have had to place stop payments on checks and I was told that it doesn't actually go into effect for at least 12-24 hours. So if the check is already in the system to be paid, it WILL go through until the system is updated with the stop payment information. It sounds like you were doing everything you thought you were supposed to do, so hopefully your bank will credit your account and get you squared away again. This things can really snowball and make a mess.
flgirl2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 11:37 AM   #9
thelittlemermaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by flgirl2u
What was the time frame that all this took place? In my job, I have had to place stop payments on checks and I was told that it doesn't actually go into effect for at least 12-24 hours. So if the check is already in the system to be paid, it WILL go through until the system is updated with the stop payment information. It sounds like you were doing everything you thought you were supposed to do, so hopefully your bank will credit your account and get you squared away again. This things can really snowball and make a mess.
I issued the stop payment on 1/25 after 8 am, right after DH took the kids to school and before the bank opened at 8:30. On 1/26 that's when it went through. Their cut off time for transactions is 2:30, that's when they apply everything to accounts for that day. It seems to me they had more then enough time to take care of it.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:32 AM   #10
shirleyb
I'm a lot funnier in real life.

I guess I'm confused as to why the duplicate check numbers would even be a problem in the first place. I've done the same thing many times - paid my electric bill over the phone with check # 123 and then used check #123 at a store and they've both gone through without a hitch.

It's not the rain that matters, it's how you dance in it.
shirleyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:40 AM   #11
barkley
DIS Veteran
If I ever have a garage sale the neighbors will think I have major wine and condiment addictions

is there a compelling reason this is being bumped up to rediscuss over 5 years AFTER it occured and was posted??????????

The REAL Barkley

Wedding Groomsman - 1991
Disneyland - 1992
Maui - 1993

"King of the Closet, Guardian & Protector of Cookies Everywhre"

Does not Cruise due to C.D.P.P.
(Chronic Duck Pirate Phobia)
barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:44 AM   #12
golfgal
DIS Cast Member
When did vacuums become a status symbol???

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkley View Post
is there a compelling reason this is being bumped up to rediscuss over 5 years AFTER it occured and was posted??????????
Yes, the ever present SPAMMER--I reported it
golfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:37 PM   #13
cm8
Half of the time we're rushing around to get things done last minute or we realize we're running behind so we need to catch up

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Yes, the ever present SPAMMER--I reported it
does it really matter how OLD a thread is? could you not just skip it after realizing the date on it?

"I have placed the Lord ever before me. Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken." Psalm 16:8

cm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:54 PM   #14
SandrA9810
DIS Veteran

I think something is up with the search feature, it's been bugging out lately.
SandrA9810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:14 PM   #15
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm8 View Post
could you not just skip it after realizing the date on it?
I know I don't always notice a date. I only looked (right before I hit the reply that currently appears from today (I assume there was a spammy person there that's now gone before shirleyb)) when I noticed the January dates.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: