Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2005, 07:58 PM   #1
Cantw8
This is blasphemy. You all need to zip it now
..I'm scared..hold me...
You can run..
I think her signiture makes her butt look big
I do have a life ya know

Vegas ????? What hotel has the best pool?

I posted earlier about traveling to Arizona (staying in Phoenix or Scotsdale) but after finding out how far we would have to travel to see everything we want to see, it makes better sense to stay in Vegas.

I want a pool that has views of mountains and/or the desert. Lots of cactus. What would you suggest? Also, how far of a drive from Vegas to Grand Canyon/Sedona/Four Corners?
Old 01-31-2005, 08:09 PM   #2
tlgoblue
Thankful for Family

I would not stay in Vegas if Arizona is what you want. (As far as mountain views go, that is not a good bet. The pools are generally surrounded by the hotels which don't seem so huge until you get in the shadow of one at the pool.) If you stay in Vegas you may hit the Grand Canyon, but Sedona and all that is a looong trip. Have you looked into staying in Sedona/Oak Creek area? There are hotels, especially in OaK Creek that are reasonable, though not really fancy. If you are looking for a VERY ROMANTIC Hotel, try the Hotel L' Auberge. There are cottages as well as main lodge rooms. It can be a bit pricey, but it is nestled right on the banks of the Oak Creek, and is unbelievably beautiful. Rates usually include a dinner. Check out this site:
http://www.lauberge.com/

Maybe split your stay between there and another more modestly priced room, for a most memorable affair.
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2005, 08:56 PM   #3
golfgal
DIS Cast Member
When did vacuums become a status symbol???

I am the one that gave you the Marriott idea. Getting to Sedona, Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon are really not that difficult. There is a major highway that goes most of the way from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon. Getting there is a thrill because the terrain is so varried. We left Phoenix and it was 80° and sunny, Flagstaff had snow everywhere and was 20°. The Grand Canyon had some remnants of snow and was about 45°. We went from elevations of something like 2000ft to 9000ft. Every turn, twist of the road had something different to see. You could easily do a day trip to the GC and hit Flagstaff one way or another (there wasn't much to see in Flagstaff, really). You could then do another 1/2 day trip to Sedona. You could do them all in one day if you really wanted to--both are on the way to the GC from Phoenix, but we found that we ended up spending more time at the GC then we planned.

It is about 3 1/2 hours to the GC from Las Vegas but the scenery isn't as nice so getting to Flagstaff and Sedona would be like 6-7 hours or something like that.
golfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 09:27 PM   #4
tlgoblue
Thankful for Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal
It is about 3 1/2 hours to the GC from Las Vegas but the scenery isn't as nice so getting to Flagstaff and Sedona would be like 6-7 hours or something like that.
Yes, it's true that the best GC views are from the south. You could take a Helicoptor tour to the GC from Vegas, but that would eliminate any savings on hotels etc. Very expensive.

Maybe just stay in Vegas For Vegas! Nothing wrong with that. You get a great room at a great price, great food, loads of free entertainment, and if you "play your cards right" you just may end up ahead. Great deals can be had at most of the great strip hotels, the dining is top notch. DH and I usually stay at Paris and always get upgraded to a Jr. Suite. Check out Cirque, Picasso, plus the best gelato stand this side of the Atlantic at Bellagio, L' Artiste and Mon Ami Gabi at Paris, Wolfgang Pucks Place at the Venitian, and sooooo many others, your head will spin. Do check out the MGM Grand for Emeril's restaurant and the BEST Grey Goose Martini! For a great pool, since you asked, the pool at Mandale is great (though it is still sort of a hot spot for families with kids). There is also the Rum Jungle and the Ice bar as well. You can take side trips to the Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam and other local interests. April is a great time to visit Vegas, nice and warm, but not July (when we like to visit, though not for those who don't like extreme heat. 100+ is what you can expect in the summer months.) kind of heat. Most rooms in Vegas can be had at well under 200/night. The Venitian is an all suite hotel and usually runs between 149 and 229, depending on season.

Then again, maybe you know all that, which is why you said you'd like to stay in Vegas. If this is redundant, sorry. I love Vegas, and Arizona. I have Family in AZ and try to get there at least once a year and never miss Sedona/Oak Creek. OH yeah! If you get a chance, get to the Horny Toad in Cave Creek (Near Carefree/the Boulders) They have the BEST strawberry shortcake ever! Very touristy and not really a good value, but it is the best!

Anyway, I have lots of info but you could do just as well on a Orbitz or Google search. Have fun! Now I'm wondering when I get to go next!
Old 01-31-2005, 10:07 PM   #5
HappyMommy2
He loves that Disney quasi-"futuristic" theme
It's always good to be prepared for an emergency

We love Las Vegas! Personally I like New York New York but DH has stayed at the Venetian and says it's the best.

If Sedona/Grand Canyon/Four Corners is what you're really interested in, though, maybe you could just stay in Sedona. All those places are a really long (albeit fairly scenic) drive from Las Vegas. Sedona is about 300 miles from LV and Four Corners is about 300 miles from Sedona or 500-something from Las Vegas. I've never stayed at a hotel in Sedona (we have relatives near there) but I'm sure there are some great hotels/resorts/B&Breakfasts around there. Sedona is a really gorgeous, exotic treat. The rocks are breathtaking. And if cactus is what you want, you will get plenty of it around there! The whole town has an odd, fascinating spiritualistic feel to it. Lots of interesting shopping there if you like that. Try Tlaquepaque.
The Grand Canyon is quite close to Sedona so that would be an easy drive.

There's not much to "do" at Four Corners, but if you just like mountain/desert scenery and the Native American atmosphere (plenty of craft shops, etc. around there), the area is worth visiting. I get a kind of haunting "Old West" feeling when I am out in the middle of nowhere there.
We have pictures of us straddling all 4 states at the marker; definitely a unique touristy experience! If you want to venture a bit further you could stay overnight in Durango, not far from Four Corners up in the moutains in Colorado. The Silverton railroad is a fantastic experience (day trip old-style train ride up to old mining town and back) but a little harrowing to me since it's WAY high!

Enjoy.
HappyMommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: