Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2014, 03:16 PM   #1
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Reserving for 2 when solo?

Now that Disney's instituted a no-show charge, do they charge if you reserve for 2 but show up solo? In the past I always did this, just in case I ran into someone I wanted to invite to dine with me. Can I continue? Besidesc where O want to dine next trip shows no availability for q but plenty for plenty for 2
Old 12-11-2014, 04:25 PM   #2
winthropf
Mouseketeer

Disney does not charge the no-show fee if you only show up with 1 person. I often make ADRs for 2 because the system will say no availability for 1, but tables available for 2.
winthropf is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2014, 04:03 PM   #3
Simba's Mom

Thanks! I'm so glad to know I can continue doing this without penalty.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:03 AM   #4
mw3602
Earning My Ears

I just returned from a solo trip and made all reservations for 2 as there was no availability for 1. None of them had a problem with it and several CM's said that it happens frequently.
mw3602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:42 AM   #5
Simba's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw3602 View Post
I just returned from a solo trip and made all reservations for 2 as there was no availability for 1. None of them had a problem with it and several CM's said that it happens frequently.
Thanks. I'm so glad to her from someone who's "Been there-done that". Did you make all your reservations for 2 because of teh availability for one glitch? I like to think that I may meet my new BFF on the way to my ADR and want to invite them to join me. Or maybe DH will surprise me by showing up just before my meal. Hasn't happened yet, though!
Old 12-14-2014, 04:24 PM   #6
bryanb
Mouseketeer

The downside of making a reservation for two, of course, is that if you do end up being a "no show" the penalty is doubled.

On the other hand, if you make a reservation for one, and then someone decides to join you, I'm sure that's usually possible. Most restaurant tables can accommodate an even number of diners.

As for the single diner system glitch: I assume it's a glitch. I don't think anyone intended to discriminate against solo travelers. But by allocating more inventory to parties of two, they can make sure the dining room is using a larger percentage of its seats.
bryanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 06:04 PM   #7
mw3602
Earning My Ears

I had been trying for my two must do's and forgot to change to party of 1 and all of the sudden there were several spots after searching for days so I took them as I knew they wouldn't charge the fee as long as one person showed up. I just said the other person couldn't make it but most didn't even ask. Also, everyone was really nice and made me feel comfortable dining alone by starting some small talk and finding tables in less busy areas for me.
mw3602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:50 AM   #8
Tinkerdreams
DIS Veteran

When I made my ADRs, I only made it for 1 and had no issue. I think that Disney has gotten better at recognizing solo travelers
Old 12-22-2014, 04:58 PM   #9
pigletgirl
You do have a life. It is just in cyber world
If its chocolate I'll eat it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanb View Post
The downside of making a reservation for two, of course, is that if you do end up being a "no show" the penalty is doubled.

On the other hand, if you make a reservation for one, and then someone decides to join you, I'm sure that's usually possible. Most restaurant tables can accommodate an even number of diners.

As for the single diner system glitch: I assume it's a glitch. I don't think anyone intended to discriminate against solo travelers. But by allocating more inventory to parties of two, they can make sure the dining room is using a larger percentage of its seats.
Disney is like that with an odd numbered party. When I made our ADR's for our previous trip, I always has to say "4" instead of 3. Lots more availability that way. I assume it's because of the number of chairs for each table.

I've been BOO'ed by GoofyinToronto!
pigletgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:52 AM   #10
erikthewise
Gandalf wannabe
TFs are very, very cute and feisty pixie-like creatures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerdreams View Post
When I made my ADRs, I only made it for 1 and had no issue. I think that Disney has gotten better at recognizing solo travelers
It varies; at most restaurants ADRs for 1 are not a problem, but at some attempting to make an ADR for 1 shows no availability when an ADR for 2 shows all kinds of openings. Trattoria del Forno (new restaurant at Boardwalk) is one of those.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: