Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2014, 10:29 AM   #1
Princess Angi
Where is my tiara?

Convince me to do a solo trip!

Your mission should you choose to accept it...convince this introvert (at first) but totally social gal to go on a long weekend alone to Florida and leave her precious spawn behind! The weekend MAY entail getting together ONE day with a friend who would be down there for the same period but more than one day with this friend would not make for a relaxing trip. Would do Epcot one day and then use my annual passes for Universal the rest of the trip. MAYBE staying on Universal property and cabbing it to Disney so I can partake in LOTS of wine.

Do you ever feel awkward on these types of trips? Lonely?
Old 08-20-2014, 10:46 AM   #2
jagfanjosh3252
#1 fan of the Jacksonville Jaguars

Totally do it. I go solo all the time. I only live. A few hours away and will never not go because I'm solo. Now, I am very outgoing and always make new friends while I'm down there. But still, go!! Have fun!! I love the Universal resorts and wish Disney wasn't so dang expensive for their deluxe ones.

Depending on if you are going on a weekend, I'm always down for a meet up
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-20-2014, 11:38 AM   #3
anonymousegirl
DIS Veteran

My husband isn't a big Disney fan and gets limited vacation time, so I go solo to WDW at least twice a year (from California) and DLR at least 4 weekends a year.
Benefits:
1)Your schedule ( Often I skip Soarin' as DLR has a single rider line, Pirates as DLR version is better and longer, Space Mt as DLR is better. In contrast, I see ETWB at least twice every trip, as well as Illuminations and FOTLK).

2) your meal choices-where and when

3) easier to get FP for one (I usually snag a Wishes FP around 830pm each night)

4) fun making temporary friends in queues or restaurants

Cons:
1) must like yourself and be able to entertain yourself.
2) choose your resort carefully (I don't like POR solo with the dark paths)

I treasure my me time at Disney. I am heading down there this weekend, just for a few days to attend the Villains Unleashed party. No way would DH do this, even if he had the time off work. I plan to hit RD which means 6am wake up and I plan the close the parks at night. I'll sleep on the plane on the way home. Again, I would feel guilty asking someone to follow my crazy schedule!

Go and have a blast! I always do!
1973 Disneyland Hotel;1985 WDW Grosvenor; 1988 same;1994 off-site; 1997 off-site; July 2008 POR; December 2008 Pop Century; January 2009 Contemporary, BCV; March 2009 Pop Century; May 2009 Grand California at DLR; September 2009 SSR; December 2009 Pop; May 2010 DL off site; July 2010 Disneyland Hotel; October 2010 Disneyland Hotel; January 2011 Saratoga Springs;May 2011 Disneyland off-site; October 2011 AKV Kidani; DLR OMDD Leap Day 2012; June 2012 BCV/Vero Beach; September 2012 All Star Sports; December 2012 Grand Floridian; DLR off site February 2013;DLR off site for Long Lost Friends week April 2013;DLR Paradise Pier Hotel July 2013; DLR off site November 2013;Aulani DVC January 2014; WDW OKW May 2014; WDW SSR VILLIANS UNLEASHED! Aug 2104;WDW October 2014; CBR/DCL December 2014
anonymousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:48 AM   #4
IceSkatingPrincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Angi View Post
Your mission should you choose to accept it...convince this introvert (at first) but totally social gal to go on a long weekend alone to Florida and leave her precious spawn behind! The weekend MAY entail getting together ONE day with a friend who would be down there for the same period but more than one day with this friend would not make for a relaxing trip. Would do Epcot one day and then use my annual passes for Universal the rest of the trip. MAYBE staying on Universal property and cabbing it to Disney so I can partake in LOTS of wine.

Do you ever feel awkward on these types of trips? Lonely?
I did a solo trip over the 4th of July! It was great!

I had a wonderful time. I had awesome character and CM interactions, and did what I wanted to do when I wanted to do it. Stayed at AKL and was able to just enjoy the beauty there and get to the park when I felt like it. I wouldn't hesitate to take another solo trip.

DH & I: Rocky: Bagel:
IceSkatingPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:17 PM   #5
Princess Angi
Where is my tiara?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagfanjosh3252 View Post
Totally do it. I go solo all the time. I only live. A few hours away and will never not go because I'm solo. Now, I am very outgoing and always make new friends while I'm down there. But still, go!! Have fun!! I love the Universal resorts and wish Disney wasn't so dang expensive for their deluxe ones.

Depending on if you are going on a weekend, I'm always down for a meet up
If I do it I would be doing a long weekend...October 16th to the 21st! It would be fun to meet up!
Old 08-20-2014, 12:20 PM   #6
Princess Angi
Where is my tiara?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousegirl View Post
My husband isn't a big Disney fan and gets limited vacation time, so I go solo to WDW at least twice a year (from California) and DLR at least 4 weekends a year.
Benefits:
1)Your schedule ( Often I skip Soarin' as DLR has a single rider line, Pirates as DLR version is better and longer, Space Mt as DLR is better. In contrast, I see ETWB at least twice every trip, as well as Illuminations and FOTLK).

2) your meal choices-where and when

3) easier to get FP for one (I usually snag a Wishes FP around 830pm each night)

4) fun making temporary friends in queues or restaurants

Cons:
1) must like yourself and be able to entertain yourself.
2) choose your resort carefully (I don't like POR solo with the dark paths)

I treasure my me time at Disney. I am heading down there this weekend, just for a few days to attend the Villains Unleashed party. No way would DH do this, even if he had the time off work. I plan to hit RD which means 6am wake up and I plan the close the parks at night. I'll sleep on the plane on the way home. Again, I would feel guilty asking someone to follow my crazy schedule!

Go and have a blast! I always do!

Ha! You sound like me! I do NOT mind being in the park all day. I have a VERY dysfunctional relationship with sleep and rarely get more than a few hours at night! I have not heard of this Villains Unleashed party because my most recent trip was all Universal (hence the annual pass) and wait? A wishes fast pass? WHY?!?!
Old 08-20-2014, 12:24 PM   #7
Princess Angi
Where is my tiara?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceSkatingPrincess View Post
I did a solo trip over the 4th of July! It was great!

I had a wonderful time. I had awesome character and CM interactions, and did what I wanted to do when I wanted to do it. Stayed at AKL and was able to just enjoy the beauty there and get to the park when I felt like it. I wouldn't hesitate to take another solo trip.
You guys are convincing me...not that it was too hard!

Now how to overcome the guilt of not taking the kids. I REALLY need a break from them (100% custody, so no weekends off!) and I want to do food and wine without one of my kids telling me I should not have wine for breakfast....and there is the expense of flying us all. We all did a road trip down there at the end of July. We will do another trip next year AND I took them to HI this year...they are SPOILED!!!
Old 08-20-2014, 03:54 PM   #8
jagfanjosh3252

Quote:
If I do it I would be doing a long weekend...October 16th to the 21st! It would be fun to meet up!
Ahh. I will be missing you by a weekend I'm heading down the following weekend. There will be a bunch of us down around that time. So we dos big meet up.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:54 PM   #9
Princess Angi
Where is my tiara?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagfanjosh3252 View Post
Ahh. I will be missing you by a weekend I'm heading down the following weekend. There will be a bunch of us down around that time. So we dos big meet up.

Bummer! Logistics of my kiddos deem this is the only weekend with a sitter since the sitter would only be responsible to getting them to school one day. Maybe 2. A big meet would be fun!
Old 08-20-2014, 07:05 PM   #10
amfie928
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Angi

I will be down 20-26 and solo for most of the time. Friends coming for two days and part of Saturday. It's my first solo trip so if you are there and need a ride buddy I love meeting new peeps! I have only heard good stories of people's solo trips. Sometimes you just need a break ... I would go for it!

Josh I hope we get to meet up this year... I think last year for Villains at DHS we were at opposite ends of the park that night! Not to mention I was disgustingly hot and cranky that day having been in the park all day! Man was it crowded!
amfie928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:07 PM   #11
jagfanjosh3252

Lol. Yes. It was crazy. I will be down the 25/26/27. Sunday I'm gonna be at HHN. Saturday I have parisan bfast then up for whatever
Old 08-20-2014, 07:57 PM   #12
SueDonym3
Mouseketeer

Nope-never feel awkward and never get lonely...but I am awesome company

Food & Wine is my favorite time to go and my favorite time to go solo. If you go with others they always seem to pull in other directions. I go for a week and spend 3 weekdays in Epcot over Food & Wine. Weekends can be crazy, but if you are a park warrior-and you seem to be, you will have no problems. If you have the kids all the time-you deserve the break. Go-have fun and drink lots of wine-I will try to leave you some...
SueDonym3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:16 PM   #13
DaisyDuck001
DIS Veteran

Ride buddy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amfie928 View Post
I will be down 20-26 and solo for most of the time. Friends coming for two days and part of Saturday. It's my first solo trip so if you are there and need a ride buddy I love meeting new peeps! I have only heard good stories of people's solo trips. Sometimes you just need a break ... I would go for it!

Josh I hope we get to meet up this year... I think last year for Villains at DHS we were at opposite ends of the park that night! Not to mention I was disgustingly hot and cranky that day having been in the park all day! Man was it crowded!
Hi Everyone, I'm also looking for ride buddies on a few afternoons --

Oct. 23 Epcot
Oct. 24 Hollywood Studios
Oct. 26 MK
Oct. 27 MK

Just a couple more days until I can reserve FP+!
DaisyDuck001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:40 PM   #14
Princess Angi
Where is my tiara?

I think I am convinced! Now to see if the finances can work out...anyone wanna host a Jamberry nail party for me????
Old 08-20-2014, 09:55 PM   #15
jagfanjosh3252

Quote:
I think I am convinced! Now to see if the finances can work out...anyone wanna host a Jamberry nail party for me????
I totally need my nails did

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: