Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2005, 03:31 PM   #1
eeyore45
Do-it-yourself pixie dust = buy a bag of glitter at the mall
Pixie dusts CMs for fun
I need my nectar - Dr Pepper anyone??

I went to the OPRAH show today... somber show

I know I'm just too excited to even get tickets! I hope its ok to post.

The show was on Nate B. experiences in Sri Lanka in the Tsunami. He was red eyed from crying. It was a wonderful tribute to his partner Fernando. Fernando's brother was there, as well as Nate's mom. Can you imagine her phone call? She was at an aiport, he was able to get the use of a cell phone to call and tell his mom he was ok... He said, "I just wanted you to know I'm ok mommy" omg.. His mom I believe was at an airport and asked a man with a laptop what had happened in Sri Lanka!!! HIs story, and the story of 4 others, a couple from Sweden (I believe), a family from Britian, a Producer from the BBC, and another man by video tape told amazing stories of survival.

Nate said he really appreciated and was overwhelmed by the support from fans thru emails, etc. That's how I got a ticket - I had emailed, they liked my email and called me (and about 40 other I would guess) they said "we really read those emails" "Those emails meant so very much to Nate, thank you" In the "After the Show" segment they were going to let us read some of our emails, but the first 2 girls couldnt really express themselves very well, and the one lady, did a good job of conveying her sentiment from a mom's perspective, but she went on and on, so I'm not sure but they may be "cut" edited out...

They did enough taping they speculated it would be 2 shows, instead of an "after the show" THis show is scheduled to air Monday Jan 14.

Thanks for letting me share!
Old 01-14-2005, 03:51 PM   #2
Puffy2
DIS Veteran

How did you enjoy the experience of going to the show? Was it a long morning? afternoon? Any tips for others who might find themselves lucky enough to get tickets in the future?
Puffy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2005, 03:56 PM   #3
transparant
Oh say does that star-spangled banner yet wave, O'er the land of the free, and the home of the brave

It does sound very somber - I think you got the air date wrong though. There isn't a Monday Jan. 14th. The only Mondays in Jan. that are left are the 17th, 24th, and 31st.
transparant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 04:08 PM   #4
eeyore45
Do-it-yourself pixie dust = buy a bag of glitter at the mall
Pixie dusts CMs for fun
I need my nectar - Dr Pepper anyone??

OOps!! Yep, today is the 14th!! Its Monday Jan 17th, MLK day. They werent sure if it would be a 2 show or not.

I got tickets by emailing Nate. The producers warming up the audience said "we really read the emails".

They usually tape 2 or 3 days a week, and they usually tape 2 shows a day. 8-11 and then 2-4 (I believe). Most of the shows there arent any giveaways. Its the experience, and excitement that is Oprah!! She is very kind and gracious, and BUSY!!

Seating is on a first come first serve basis, when you get there, they give you a ticket with your number on it, and they seat by that number 1- 50 / 50 - 100 etc (250 seats) they dont take walk ins, or stand bys. So I got up at 4:30, and headed to my gf at 6AM, she drove into the city (she lives by Ohare, and used to do hair and makeup for commercial shoots!) we got there later than I wanted, and were number 210. . . but since I sent an email, and was invited, they called my name (and about 40 - 50 others!) and we sat in the audience. The producers save seats for 'guests" (Fernando's brother, and friends, Nate's mom etc) Nate really appreciated the support from one of Oprah's producers, her husband and friends came (they introduced him after the show!) and yes, they fill the front seats with "beautiful" people! (it is tv!) They talk to you about what to expect (no commercial breaks, but 'moments' which helped us blow our noses btw! and sigh, and catch our breath for the next segment) they usually do a lot of hype on clapping and yelling, but mentioned that this show they will need audience reactions (no problem, you'll hear a gasp, a sigh, and even a couple of chuckles!)

I really will be surprised if they do more than a couple of 'audience' shots, due to the subject matter. There was a group of 8 - 10 women/church members... they asked "does Oprah know we're here?" we all chuckled, but then when they specified that they were from her mom's church, and were expected... that got our attention!! The producer winked and said "dont you have something set up for lunch? yeah, she knows" darn, that would've been the ticket to have!!

Again, its the hardest show to get tickets to. And when its over, the rush you out (which was good I had a job interview today! Long term sub. teaching position!) but it was really really cold!!
Old 01-14-2005, 04:12 PM   #5
tkyes
DIS Earth Angel! :)
Wants a vacation now!
TF sprinkles PD on tkyes
The TF is saving the outrageous stuff for later

I bet it was a moving show to see.

I tried so hard to get Oprah tickets last year. Definitely a difficult ticket to get. Glad you enjoyed your experience. I've always wondered how everyone they showed was so attractive, now I know - selective seat placement lol
tkyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 04:18 PM   #6
Puffy2
DIS Veteran

so you got in line at what time? to be #210? Can all seats "see the show?"
Old 01-14-2005, 04:34 PM   #7
antmaril
DIS Veteran
The elephant topiaries near MK have a special meaning for me
I'm a girl

I saw Oprah in October. We had a very somber show. The topic was "Spouses Who Commit Murder". It was not a fun show to experience. It was quite a dark subject. They told us the date the show would air in November, but it was removed from schedule. So far, it has not aired.

It was fun to see Oprah (she looks great) and I enjoyed it, but the topic was depressing.
antmaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 05:37 PM   #8
Puffy2
DIS Veteran

When you went to the taping, what kind of temperature was the studio? Did you find it to be cold? warm? etc.??

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: