Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2005, 01:03 PM   #1
jsmla
DIS Veteran

My Best Second Honeymoon Ever Dining Report (Part 1)

We don't usually eat out much at Disneyworld. I'm not sure why. The Mc Donald's drive-thru back at home asks after our health if noone from the family has been by for a week. My kids think the 4 food groups are burgers, pizza, tacos and Popeye's Famous Fried Chicken. I think it's a control thing. Disney has had enough of my money, they're not getting another red cent. Anyone want another PB&J? This time was going to be different. This time was going to be special. It's my 25th wedding anniversary trip and I refuse to spend it slaving over a hot microwave in the food court. I want to sit in a cool restaurant and have waiters bring me my food. Hunky waiters with no shirts and little bow ties like the Chippendales. If not that at least I'd like to eat off real plates for a change.

We eat PB&J because we have Sam. Sam is our beloved DS. Sam is 20. Sam is 6'2'' tall. Remember those old Warner Brothers cartoons with the Tasmanian Devil? Remember how he ate? This is how Sam eats. A horde of locusts has nothing on this boy. We can afford to feed Sam at Disneyworld or we can pay our house note, not both.

On this trip we will be Sam-less. It will just be DH and myself. On this trip we will eat out. Scott is a very picky eater, strictly a meat and potatoes guy. He usually sticks with the brown/white/yellow food group (Is beer yellow?). I grew up in Cajun Country and only require that an item of food is actually deceased before I will try it.

I tried to prepay as much as possible. Every time I got my hands on a little bit of extra money I'd try to buy a ticket, pay down the hotel bill or buy a meal voucher. We ended up with 6 Q&C vouchers and one VKL voucher. Here's what we ate:

12/31/04

Dinner: TGIF (Tallahassee) We split orders of nachos and fajitas. We're the perfect couple for sharing meals. I like all the green stuff and Scott likes the meat. We each had a beer. Typical TGIF fare. Don't have the reciept but we left a big tip for the waitress since it was NYE. Around $35
Food C
Service B

01/01/05
Breakfast: Hampton Inn (Tallahassee)
Hotel breakfast. Good for the price. Eggs, sausage, etc. Included with room.
Food C
Service N/A

Lunch
Sandwiches in the car

Dinner
Hotdogs at Casey's in the MK
Okay for hotdogs. Pretty good fixin's bar. Two all beef dogs, no beverage. Around $8
Food C
Service N/A The Magic Kingdom was very crowded but the lines here moved swiftly.

01/02/05
Breakfast: In Room

Lunch
Les Chefs de France
Scott and I split the French Menu (Onion soup, Croque Monsieur (grilled ham and cheese), salad, creme brulee) with an extra order of Onion Soup. This was very, very good. The soup was piping hot and delicious. Scott liked the fact that it didn't have long stringy bits of onion in it. The Croque Monsieur here is much better than the ones they sell in the take-outs in Paris. The sandwich was cut into thirds. Scott had two pieces and I had one plus the salad. Salad was only okay. The tomatoes were flavorless. Creme Brulee was to die for.

*TOTALLY IRRELAVENT ASIDE*
Be careful when you offer to share your food. Scott grew up in a large family. The race was definately to the swift at dinnertime. Whoever ate the fastest got the most. Scott can finish his meal in half the time it takes me. Normally I don't mind, but we're talking about creme brulee here. If you split with a fast eater make sure to stake out your claim ahead of time or be prepared for a spoon fight!

Would definately eat here again. Food was not divided. Around $30 w/tip (can't find receipt).
Food A (everything but salad/ salad gets a C)
Service B
Value A+

Dinner
Pepper Market (Coronado Springs Resort)
We used a Q &C voucher here and got the Sampler in the Wok section. We split a fruit tart for dessert. Scott had a Diet Coke. I had water. The waitress brought our silverware but that was it. Our drinks were never refilled. I would have been upset by the non-optional gratuitity if we were not using the voucher. This was the only place where we didn't leave an additional tip. Food was just okay, kind of ho-hum. A good deal with the voucher but I think that we will try something different next time. (Can't find receipt.)
Food C
Service C-

01/03/05
Breakfast in room

Lunch
Beaches and Cream (Beach Club Resort)
Voucher felt like a much better deal here. We split the double bacon cheeseburger (w/extra bun), onion rings and a banana split. Scott had a beer and I had a cherry coke. We got there around 11:15 and had no wait for a table. The food was split onto separate plates and the waiter was very good about refilling my coke. More food here than we could eat. The burger and rings were very hot and quite good, especially the onion rings. Used 1 Q & C voucher and were not charged for the extra bun. Paid for Scott's beer and left an extra $5 tip. (Sorry, lost receipt.)
Food B
Service B +

Dinner
Artist's Poing (Wilderness Lodge)
This was our big anniversary dinner and I loved it! We were seated at a window table and our waitress was great, attentive without being intrusive. We split an order of the Smoky Portobello Soup for starters. It came out divided into two bowls. Scott's not a big veggie fan but he loved this soup! I had the Cedar Plank Roasted Salmon and Scott had the Hatfield Pork Chop. We split an order of the Artist Point berry cobbler. I had the wine flight and Scott had (what else) a beer. I chose this restaurant because neither one of us enjoys formal dining and the entrees appealed to Scott. (Please do not use the words nouvelle or fusion around Scott. He will suspect that you've put something green into his food.) We had a nice leisurely dinner and never felt rushed or ignored by the wait staff.

Food
Smoky Portobello Soup A+ Smokey, creamy and very, very good.

Scott's entree:
Pork Chop B+
TillamookCheddar Mac & Cheese A
Scott enjoyed his meal (especially the mac-n-cheese) but was a little disappointed in the portion size. He's a big meat and taters guy and probably could have eaten twice what he was given.

My entree:
Cedar Plank Roasted Salmon A++ (I'm really picky about my fish and this was some of the best I've ever had. Very simple preparation but oh, so good! The salmon was piping hot and cooked to perfection. Moist and flaky, Yum!)
Potatoes B Tasted like regular ole mashed potatoes to me. Good but nothing special.

Artist Point Cobbler Another A+. Very good with flaky cobbler, fresh berries and two scoops of a delicious raspberry ice cream. More undignified spoon fighting here.

Wine flight I didn't catch the names but I had an okay white (I'm not a white wine fan) with the soup and a very good Merlot with the salmon. Tried the ice wine with the cobbler but didn't care for it. Tastes like melted frozen grape juice concentrate to me. It could just be me though, I don't like sweet wines.

Service A+ When I eat out with my hubby I don't want to establish a life-long relationship with the wait staff. I'd much rather concentrate on my sweet babboo. Our waitress hit the perfect note between courteous and overly friendly. We never had to wait long for our next course. Our water glasses were refilled and dirty plates removed promptly. On the other hand we never felt rushed. I am a slow eater and I HATE it when a waiter tries to take my plate away while my fork is still in my hand. All in all this was a great meal. Definately the best of the trip. (I didn't see the bill, nor do I want to!)

01/04/05
Breakfast in room

Lunch
Sweet Tomatoes (offsite)
This was shopping morning and we stopped at Sweet Tomatoes for an early lunch. Lots of different salads and soups. Pasta bar with Alfredo and marinara sauce and mac-n-cheese. Potato bar with both sweet and white potatoes. Standard dessert bar w/bakery stuff and soft-serve ice cream. Salads very good. The soups were better with a little hot sauce added. Scott was happy to see the sweet potatoes. We used a 10% off coupon from one of those tourist magazines and felt that this was an excellent value. (lost the receipt)

Food B (B+ for the salads)
Service N/A

Dinner
Take out from Sassagoula Floatworks Factory (POFQ)
We had planned on using a voucher at Flame Tree Barbecue at the Animal Kingdom during EMH but only Restaurantosaurus (sp?) and Pizzasafari were open late. We ended up just getting stuff from the food court when we got back to POFQ. We used one voucher and had the jambalaya, cornbread and an ice cream cookie sandwich. Since we already had our mugs we got a bottle of cranberry juice for later. The jambalaya was very bland but the ice cream cookie sandwich was huge and very yummy. These are made fresh to order from house-baked cookies and hand scooped ice cream. You can choose any combo. of cookie and ice cream flavors. Cost w/o voucher would have been $18.08

Food C (Jambalaya)/B + (Ice cream cookie sandwich)
Service N/A

Jennifer
jsmla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 02:09 PM   #2
jennymouse

Nana to Skye & Haley!

Enjoyed your reviews! You're a hoot!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2005, 02:10 PM   #3
CamColt
Only thinks she’s not losing it
Mom gone wild!
I really feel like I have a good grip on things now
B1 BINGO!

Thanks for the reviews!

CamColt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 02:32 AM   #4
Minniespal

The Original 'Free Spirit'
Who's Next??

Great reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.
Minniespal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 03:04 AM   #5
Renate_do
DIS Veteran

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmla
We ended up with 6 Q&C vouchers and one VKL voucher.
I´m from Germany and go to WDW in 13 days

May you tell me more about the vouchers? Where do you get them, how does it work?

Greets Renate

going next 07/08 - 07/10 staying at the HNY

Renate_do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 07:02 AM   #6
janetmojo
Earning My Ears

Rotflol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmla
I grew up in Cajun Country and only require that an item of food is actually deceased before I will try it.
Exactly! As long as it isn't moving, it's fair game!

Great Review!
janetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 10:18 AM   #7
Poohs Pal
DIS Veteran
Beautiful and smart so she says

Great report. I feel the same way about wait staff. Keep my water glass full and check-in every now and then and a big tip is commin' your way. Susan
Poohs Pal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 03:28 PM   #8
Beth E. (NJ)
Disney obsessed
My name is Beth E. and I am a packrat!
to be the response after Jeff is a heavy burden to bear

thanks for the fun reviews. You are a great writer :D

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: