Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2005, 05:06 PM   #1
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?

SUV Runs Past School Bus And Kills 14 Year Old Boy (VENT)

I'm so tired of hearing about the accidents in this city! A SUV ran past a stopped school bus this afternoon. It brushed the backpack of one student that had just stepped off the bus. It hit a 14 year old boy and pushed him through a stone wall, killing him. That SUV had to really be traveling to push that poor kid through that wall.

When the mother got to the scene, she had chest pains and collapsed. She was taken by ambulance to a hospital.

Something needs to be done about the drivers here. This happened in an area not that far from my home.

I wish they could build something into the frame of a car that would allow sensors to pick up when a car is speeding and transmit the information to law enforcement so that the person could be ticketed. There are not enough police officers to stop all these nuts!
Old 01-05-2005, 05:10 PM   #2
newholidayx2
Searching for the perfect tree
Do you get bunny kisses?

OMG! that poor family

Nov 2009 - employed by Disney
Dec 27 2008 - relocated to FL
newholidayx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2005, 05:16 PM   #3
dmadman43
Card-carrying member of the WDW Fashion Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feralpeg
I'm so tired of hearing about the accidents in this city! A SUV ran past a stopped school bus this afternoon. It brushed the backpack of one student that had just stepped off the bus. It hit a 14 year old boy and pushed him through a stone wall, killing him. That SUV had to really be traveling to push that poor kid through that wall.

When the mother got to the scene, she had chest pains and collapsed. She was taken by ambulance to a hospital.

Something needs to be done about the drivers here. This happened in an area not that far from my home.

I wish they could build something into the frame of a car that would allow sensors to pick up when a car is speeding and transmit the information to law enforcement so that the person could be ticketed. There are not enough police officers to stop all these nuts!
Did this SUV not have a driver behind the wheel? I'm not sure why it being an SUV is relevant to the story. Are we suggesting if it had been say, a pick up truck, or a sedan this wouldn't have happened?
dmadman43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 05:19 PM   #4
transparant
Oh say does that star-spangled banner yet wave, O'er the land of the free, and the home of the brave

Unbelievable!!!!! I hope he/she gets put in jail for the rest of their life! That poor family!! So sad.
transparant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 05:19 PM   #5
Beauty
Registered

I didn't read anything in her post about it mattering that it was a SUV, I just read that it happened to be a SUV. I think it would have been horrible no matter WHAT type vehicle it was.

My prayers for that family! OMG how horrible, I can't even imagine.
Beauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 05:20 PM   #6
Twinkles6892
Mourning Nomar with Mom...Will trade you Nomar for a new tag!
Je ne cest pas!
Listens to Christmas Carols in March
Born on Games Day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmadman43
Did this SUV not have a driver behind the wheel? I'm not sure why it being an SUV is relevant to the story. Are we suggesting if it had been say, a pick up truck, or a sedan this wouldn't have happened?
I don't think it was relevant. She was just telling exactly what happened. It was not made a main point in the story, she said it twice.
Waiting for you,
And me! Winnie the Pooh!
To have a Happy Hooptee Pooh Time!

Twinkles6892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 05:21 PM   #7
transparant
Oh say does that star-spangled banner yet wave, O'er the land of the free, and the home of the brave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmadman43

I'm sure anyone reading the story would understand that it was the driver of the SUV.
transparant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 05:22 PM   #8
EsmeraldaX
Registered

I think she mentioned what kind of car it was because that is probably the only info she has right now and because that is what kind of car it was.

Do you know if the driver even bothered to stop?

That poor family.
EsmeraldaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 05:23 PM   #9
Lisa loves Pooh
DIS Veteran

Wow--these drivers are getting bad--I remember the one months ago where a driver hit the girls in the stroller and one was killed and the other died the next day.

So sad.

(If it were a van--she would have said van, a car--car...it's not an SUV bash fest--Feralpeg has been posting frequently about the driving in Central Florida lately--it's BAD!)
Lisa loves Pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 05:46 PM   #10
twinmomplus2new
DIS Veteran

indignation

Funny... that your indignant that the car involved was an SUV.
But, are not indignant that someones child was killed?

I am sure it was not a rant about cars people choose to drive but, rather the info at hand at the time of posting.

and the post was about the child who lost his life not the car. You did get that right?
twinmomplus2new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 05:54 PM   #11
Pin Wizard
I now have a new favorite at Barnies
Don't touch my FDNY Mickey pin!
Virginia girl @ heart

That's tragic! I hope that person gets what they deserve.

The Orlando Sentinel has "SUV" in the title of their story...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...home-headlines
Pin Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 05:55 PM   #12
taylor1293

DIS Veteran
When the Tag Fairy touches you, you know!! :)

We live in the Orlando area too. My dad is semi-retired and drives a school bus for the Orange county school district.

I hadn't heard about this death yet (haven't watched the news since I've been home) but it's very sad .

To be honest, around here I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. The horror stories my dad tells me are shocking.

People drive around his bus all the time. They completely ignore the flashing lights and stop sign.

A few weeks ago, he pulled off to the right on 436 (4 lanes divided road) and a car went around him on the RIGHT HAND SIDE! He was so thankful that he hadn't opened the door yet to let anyone off.

It's very hard to catch these idiot drivers as you have to get the license plate number. IMO, the buses need cameras to record all violators.

My heart goes out to that family.

Teresa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feralpeg

2002-Polynesian, 2003-BWV, Hard Rock, 2004-POP, OKW, Royal Pacific, CSR, 2006-Swan,
2007-POFQ, CBR, 2008 - Royal Pacific
2013 - Bonnet Creek Resort, All Star Movies, 2014 - POP, ASMu, CSR, POFQ
taylor1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 06:12 PM   #13
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?

Sorry if I offended SUV drivers. Until I moved to Florida I drove a large SUV. The type of car didn't matter. The point is that people drive like idiots and because of that a 14 year old child is dead. I have a 16 year old that rides a school bus each day. It could just as easily have been her. I find this very upsetting!
Old 01-05-2005, 06:17 PM   #14
HisEllyNelly
I miss you Pumpkinbutt

OMG, thats so terrible. I just dont understand why people are in such a hurry...you never know whats going to happen around a school bus. People that fly through school zones anger me too.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:19 PM   #15
DCLuvinit
All things are possible!
No longer tagless, but still single (psst...WM Barry is single too and a looker!)(actually she's not really single)

That is really sad news, my heart breaks for that family.
DCLuvinit is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: