Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2005, 04:46 PM   #1
luvflorida
Free entertainment is everywhere

Do you know anyone who has actually made a huge change in their lifestyle?

It happens all the time in the movies, but how many people really live out their dreams? I'm talking about people who decide they really are not living the life they want to live, and especially people over the age of fifty.

Do you know anyone who has actually moved to a totally different climate, or maybe has changed careers after spending 20+ years in some other career? Become successfully self-employed? Living in Key West on a houseboat? Doing what they truly want to do, when they want to do it?
Old 01-04-2005, 04:57 PM   #2
scrappinMickey
Plain. No, wait! Peanut!

Yep, my mom!! Lived in the same place ALL of her life!! And last June
shocked us all, to up and move to Seattle!!! She is in her late 50's and moved from a South Texas climate to the upper NW!!

Totally new job and everything. Sold her house here and moved away!! NEVER thought my mom would be the one to move off!!!

It was hard to deal with at first, but she is happy and loving it up there!!
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2005, 05:24 PM   #3
Virgo10
Really, this year there's no one who floats my boat

Yes, ME! I had lived in MA my whole life but moved to Florida this past November. I am over 50. The move was the hardest thing I've ever done but I am so glad we're here. My dream was to live near Disney World and although the rest of what goes on down here will take some getting use to (tourists, the driving, the accent ), not a day goes by that I'm not thrilled we moved here.

Roberta
Virgo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 06:00 PM   #4
luvflorida
Free entertainment is everywhere

scrappinMickey- That's exactly what I'm talking about! Your mother has a sense of adventure! I'm glad to hear that she is enjoying her new life! :D

Virgo10- That's what I'm talking about, too! And I love to hear happy endings! I live in Maine and we've talked seriously about relocating to Florida when our youngest graduates from HS in 2008.

More stories! More stories!
Old 01-04-2005, 06:04 PM   #5
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?

I'm a 52 year old single mom who decided I'd had enough of the corporate world. I retired from the company I'd worked for 30 years and moved to the Orlando area 6 months ago with my 16 year old DD. Recently, I've been making candy gift baskets for people staying at nearby resorts. In two weeks, I take my first acting lesson. I plan on joining my DD in the acting profession.
Feralpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 06:05 PM   #6
gshoemate
Wants to Talk to the Dolphins!
Festival of the Lion King wanna be
Lovin' the Positivity!
All I could think about during Hurricane Frances was a big ol' pizza!

We did. We have lived in Michigan all our lives and hated the cold and snow. DH lost his job and we knew we didn't want to live there anymore so we started looking in other states, especially warmer ones. We sent resumes to Idaho (I know it gets cold there but we love the mountains), Nashville, had an interview in Springfield Il, and finally got an interview in Orlando. DH flew down for it, the owner of the company had him stay at his house for a few days. They got along so well he was offered the job. We had less then 2 weeks notice to move so we loaded up the uhaul and the kids and here we are. Been here a little over 2 years and wouldn't change a thing (except I would love to work at Disney).

gshoemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 06:07 PM   #7
Pin Wizard
I now have a new favorite at Barnies
Don't touch my FDNY Mickey pin!
Virginia girl @ heart

Quit my job of 8 years to head to college in my 40s. After 1.5 years in classes, came across someone by a stroke of luck when I was considering moving to another state. What better time to move than when you're in school and not working! House on the market one day. The first person in at 8 a.m. bought it. Had a signed contract by 10 a.m.!! Okay...I guess I'll REALLY move!! LOL! Dropped all college classes, took son out of his school and moved from FL to VA! Woooo hooooo! Was in FL 15 years. Best thing I ever did was this move.
Pin Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 06:09 PM   #8
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Not 50 but we are trying to head to Texas. :::Fingers are crossed:::
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 06:35 PM   #9
bekkiz
DIS Veteran

My mom had worked in the medical field since she was 19 (mostly dental assistant etc), but had a brief stint (about 2 years) where she helped to run a comedy club part time.

This summer, she decided to quit her job, and buy a comedy club about 25 miles north of where she lives. She'd had no experiance as a buisness owner, but the club is super successful, she's lost like 15 lbs, and she seems so happy. She loves being her own boss On the other hand she's in debt up to her eyeballs, but I think in a year or so, she should be in the clear
Old 01-04-2005, 06:48 PM   #10
CamColt
Only thinks she’s not losing it
Mom gone wild!
I really feel like I have a good grip on things now
B1 BINGO!

I have a friend who recently quit her job packed up as few belongings as possible and drove from MA to San Diego CA to start a new life.

CamColt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 07:37 PM   #11
chrissyk
It will be great to have a built-in DIS neighbor
I'm still trying to convert grandma to being a Grobanite

DH and I have lived in MA for all of our lives. All of our family members are here in New England. Next week, DH and I are moving to FL finally! DH found a job that is pretty much the same as his job here, and he's soooo happy about it I'm self-employed right now, but I'm hoping to become a teacher (I was an engineer in my past life, LOL!). I guess that we're really changing our lives, but we've been planning this FOREVER! Now we have friends who seem to be jumping on the FL bandwagon...we're such trailblazers, LOL!
chrissyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 08:22 PM   #12
kikipug
A princess NEVER chases a chicken!
My magic number is 954!
Nothing says Christmas like waiting to escape from Alcatraz!!!

Me Too

After years of DH wanting so desparately to move to FL (and me NOT wanting to), I had a moment of weakness one below-zero, snowy day and said, "If you find a job there, we can go"... 45 days later I was giving my notice after 14 years in a job that I loved, selling my dream house in NH and signing my kids up for Pop Warner in FL so they wouldn't miss the cutoff deadline for the following fall. Here we are now- its 18 months later... DH has changed jobs and now works in a profession that was once his biggest hobby (NASCAR racing), and I have a better job than ever. I miss my family tremendously, however, I don't miss the seasonal depression that DH had while living in NH. Its not easy to pick up and move, and I would be lying if I said I am 100% happy, but I can't complain (much).
kikipug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 08:35 PM   #13
diznygirl
I have a symmetry thing
It is always important to know what team the whackjobs are playing for!
It was the wedding with a two-meatball limit

We have a friend who was unhappy in his technology job - so he quit and opened up a wine shoppe in California with his wife. Reminds me - they will be visiting in a few weeks - time to order some wine!
diznygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 08:36 PM   #14
Serena
Not afraid of canned biscuits
Silly string is always fun
I fell on ice and cracked my tailbone once
Ask me what people will do for my cosmetics case!

Some relatives did this. They had a home, land, business and they sold everything. They bought an RV and are now traveling the country. It's what they always wanted to do and they decided if not now, when?.

They both were in their 60's.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:51 PM   #15
Cebhfhionn
*Sigh* When will I be tagged?
I wish I could be Ice-T's New Jack Hustler!

I too moved to Central Florida in late June of 2003! Hated the cold, wet, dark depressing NJ weather. Loved it here, told my Fiance' and DS(then 7)that we should just do it so we packed up our stuff, said farewell to our family & friends and here we are!

Miss my family, miss my friends but do NOT miss NJ! Well, ok, I miss bagels and pizza but not much else.

Greet the guy who makes your coffee every day. Thank the newspaper vendor with a real smile. Ask the deli worker how they are doing - and mean it.
That’s how peace gets started - Jolene Oldham
Cebhfhionn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: