Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2005, 09:03 AM   #1
JerseyJanice
RIP, Max!

Holidays are over now--what will you do differently next year?

That is, what lessons did you learn from this year's holidays?

I learned that it's much easier to shop for gifts if you don't stick to a set amount for the gift. For example, I used to say, "I have to spend $40 on my sister's gift." If I found something I thought she'd like for $30, I'd get it, but then find something else to buy for $10.

This year, I didn't do that. I just bought everyone items I thought they'd like and wound up coming in just little under my entire gift buying budget.

Also, I'm going to cut out the pasta course from my Christmas Eve menu. Everyone was too full from antipasto to eat much lasagne. It was a lot of work to make it. Next year, I'll add a couple more appetizers and another dish to the antipasto and not bother with baked ziti or lasagne.

So what are your lessons learned? How will your holidays be brighter or easier next year?
6/02 Wilderness Lodge
2/08 PO Riverside/Dolphin
8/08, 8/09, 8/10 Pop Century
10/10 All-Stars Music (FWF)
9/11 Coronado Springs Resort (FWF)
6/12 Wilderness Lodge (With Deluxe Dining!)
JerseyJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 09:14 AM   #2
gina2000
anonymous

Truthfully, we had a great time this year. Just ate too much. So if I do anything, I'm going to try not to overindulge in the food category next year.

I did a ton of shopping in early December and I wrapped then also. I think that helped make my holidays alot more manageable and enjoyable. Those are two tasks I'm not enamored with.
gina2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2005, 10:04 AM   #3
ez
Yoshi Lover
Alas, I have been a dvc and concierge snob (but I'll stay in a moderate if I must)

I did most of my shopping online....

I will try to do that next year as well. I got some great gifts, for example, my dad graduated from John Jay college, well I went to their website and to the college online bookstore and got him a hooded sweatshirt with the bloodhounds mascot on back, and John Jay in big letters, he loves it and he hasn't stropped thanking me for it since. What I will do differently, if DD still believes in Santa next year, is to give her the good gifts from us, and a little one from santa.
ez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 10:13 AM   #4
Skywalker
Finds good homes for stray tags
Elevators freak me out
Have you seen my coolness?
If hell exists, it will be filled with spiders

For me, the only thing I would do differently is shop earlier. I refuse to ever enter a mall in December again. So, shopping completed by November at the latest and I think my Christmas would pretty much be stress-free.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:15 AM   #5
ericamanda01
Some people dream in black and white, I dream in Disney!
Noodles for Poodles!!
Just think how boring the world would be if we were all the same!

I did pretty good as far as timely shopping, but I could have finished a lot sooner had I made out a list of all the people I needed to get gifts for, ie. Neighbors, little sister. I just forgot a few key people. So this year before we put away all the decorations I am going to make a list of all the people I have to buy for, as well as a list of all those who sent us christmas cards along with their address. I'll put it in with the cards I am using for next year.
ME DVC Member 2006 DH

ericamanda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 10:40 AM   #6
DiznEeyore
Donkey-Huggin' DVC Member
Dedicated Disney Scrapbooker
Thanks for un-confusing me

We spent the summer and fall putting an addition on the house (it's *almost* finished) so I was completely unpreprepared for Christmas. Thankfully I'd done some shopping throughout the year so I saved a bit of time that way, but Christmas just wasn't as festive as I would've liked.

Next year all this home improvement stuff will be done so I'll have time to get ready and really enjoy the holidays!
Old 01-02-2005, 10:45 AM   #7
kayeandjim00
Now living in Onderland!
Moving in the right direction
I take tons of pictures but they are priceless to me

I think I'm going to cut down on the amount and the variety of cookies I make. I go way overboard every year so I spend lots of time baking and end up with so much extra. I realized this year I could cut that in half and have more time for other things and still have plenty of sweets.
kayeandjim00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 10:45 AM   #8
gr8tpanther
Likes pretty words
No touchie, No touchie!!!!!

I learned that next year I am buying a fiber optic tree!!!!
Old 01-02-2005, 11:09 AM   #9
KarenB
Goes to the mall and sniffs Yankee Candles
Don't let me be the thread killer on this one!
Sometimes even a good nights sleep does wonders!

We had our kitchen and bathroom remodeled around the 21st of December. (new floors, cabinets, toilet, appliances, etc). We are still waiting for one cabinet and the bathroom vanity that "should" be here this week. So the dishes, etc are sitting here in the spare room all over the floor.

Although our house looks great, I feel like I spent my entire holiday vacation cleaning, painting, moving funiture, hauling out garbage, etc. School starts again tomorrow and I feel even more tired than when it got out!

Next year, I hope to relax more.

Karen
Old 01-02-2005, 12:03 PM   #10
newholidayx2
Searching for the perfect tree
Do you get bunny kisses?

prelit artificial tree
we always argue over the "perfect" live tree which we have never found
and this yr DH cut the lights off the tree w/pliers!

nope - next yr its a prelit artificial tree

Nov 2009 - employed by Disney
Dec 27 2008 - relocated to FL
newholidayx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 12:17 PM   #11
JessetheCowgirl
DIS Veteran

I plan to pay someone to wrap gifts for me. I always put it off, and it is such a mess.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:35 PM   #12
Keli
We're smarter than the average bear!
I would scrap everyday if I could
What do you think? You were raised in a barn?

I'm going to try to do my shopping much earlier in the year and get all the presents bought and wrapped before Thanksgiving. That will make my christmas much easier. If I direct a pageant again next year I want to be ready for christmas long before it happens so that it doesn't prevent me from getting my preparations completed in time like it did this year.

1981-The early years. 2011-The not-so-early years
Keli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 12:38 PM   #13
poohandwendy
DIS Veteran

Get my shopping done earlier...although, I tell myself this EVERY year and haven't followed through yet....what can I say? I am an overly optimistic procrastinator....
poohandwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 12:57 PM   #14
Kitty 34
Hums in her sleep, but never when she's awake
I only raise tomatos for those cute caterpillars... but I won't go near a tomato
Never underestimate the TF!!!

My hope by next year is our kitten gets over her chewing habits so we can enjoy lights LIT up on the tree. A tree isn't as fun when the lights aren't working.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:01 PM   #15
piratesmate
Drah-gun! I don't do that tongue thing!
I actually used to be smart...before I had kids & brain damage

1. Give DH breakfast in bed! He gets really, really cranky waiting for breakfast and I like to wait for DS & DDIL to get here.

2. I'm packing the ornaments that go on the garlands in the box with the garlands! The tree never goes up when I want & I'm either left with naked garlands for 2 weeks or decorating for 3 days straight!

3. Going with DH & DD to get the tree! This year they cut a blue spruce. Do you have any idea how picky they are? Ouch!

4. If I'm making gifts, I need to start in Sept or Oct! I thought starting Nov 10th was early enough...I was wrong!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: