Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2004, 10:10 AM   #1
CheshireVal
Can you stand on your head?
I didn't realize there was more than one way to pronounce onion!
For me, there's something very sexy about Sayid...

We ate almost everywhere! Reviews (long)

Just back from a 10 day WONDERFUL holiday at WDW. I went with my mom, my brother, and my fiance and could not have had a better time. My mom spoiled us by making PSs for almost every meal, which turned out to be waaaay too much food, but here are some highlights. Let me know if you have any additional questions!

Boma (breakfast) Great, as usual. I loved their breakfast pizzas. The Kenyan pressed pot coffee is also fabulous. I had an omelet that tasted rotten, but other than that I enjoyed it.

Chef Mickeys (dinner) Very loud but great interaction with the characters and decent food. I loved the prime rib and the desserts the best. My family raved about the mashed potatoes, though I wasn't as impressed with those. Would definitely do again.

Concourse Steakhouse (breakfast) Worth it JUST for the delicious Sticky Mickey's, though my Western Omelet was also yummy.

Park Fare (dinner) Good food, but service was a bit slow. A lot of the buffet items were similar to Chef Mickeys. One of Cinderella's mice came up and made my fiance waltz with her, which was kind of funny. The characters for the most part kind of left us alone since we were all adults, but that was okay. If I had to choose between this and Chef Mickeys, I'd choose the latter.

Cinderella's Royal Table (lunch) This was my most magical meal. We requested at check-in a window table so that it would be more special to celebrate my crecent engagement. Not only did they grant us that *wish*, but they also threw streamers and Mickey confetti on our table as well. And as we were leaving, the waitress presented us with a gift of two souvenir champagne glasses and a "Magical Moment" certificate. I can't say how much that meant to me-- was such a nice surprise! As for the food, I had the Major Domo's pie which was awesome.

Liberty Tree Tavern (dinner) The characters were great, but I have to say that, foodwise, this was my least favorite. It all tasted like frozen Stouffer's entrees, or the kind of food you'd find in your school cafeteria. I would avoid this next time.

Grand Floridian Afternoon Tea This was a gift from me to my mom, and we both thoroughly enjoyed it. We both ordered the Grand Tea, which came with a pot of tea each, a glass of champagne, and tons of neat food. I loved everything about it, and I highly recommend it! It's definitely enough food for lunch or even a light dinner.

Sci Fi (lunch) We all had burgers and they were really good-- even the fries. I've heard bad things about the place, but we had a good experience. Great service, fast drink refills, and the old movie trailers they show on the screen up front are pretty amusing.

Hollywood and Vine (dinner) This was part of our Fantasmic Dinner package and I must say was the best buffet on Disney property. They have just about everything you could ever want to eat, most of it a bit "fancier" than the usual buffet offerings at Disney. I wish I could remember my favorites, but I think I liked everything! This would be a must-do for future trips.

Cape May Clambake (dinner) This is always my favorite because of the clams and mussels. The ribs were good this time, too, but I didn't try much of anything else except for the peel and eat shrimp. Service was sketchy but desserts are always wonderful. I would go here again, as always.

Le Cellier (dinner) One of the best restaurants we ate at, we did this as part of the CP dinner package. We all had varying forms of steak, which were out of this world. I had the mushroom filet mignon. I highly recommend the creme brulee for dessert, too. My mom and my fiance had the cheddar cheese soup as an appetizer, which they raved about. I ordered the new seafood salad duo which was kind of a disappointment. Overall a wonderful dinner, though!

Trails End (lunch) This is always a good buffet at an even better value. The fried chicken is ALWAYS good, no exception. I also had a really nice bowl of chili, and they had some "fish and chips" style fried fish on the buffet this time as well, which I loved.

Whispering Canyon Cafe (lunch) We got the all-you-can-eat bbq skillet, which was really good. The atmosphere of this place is usually toned down at lunch, so we weren't "picked on" very much. I ate my weight in the ribs-- no one really liked the chicken, which had an odd flavor. Service was good, though. I'd go again.

Ohana (dinner) Even better than I remembered it being! We had a seat by the window so we had an awesome view of the castle at night (it was only 5pm, though, so no Wishes). I love the salad and the shrimp wonton appetizers. when the skewers came, I think the shrimp and steak were everyone's favorites. The turkey was just a little dry. This is a must-do.

Rose and Crown (dinner) We ate here for Christmas dinner. We had to wait forever to be seated. Becaause it was raining outside, the hostess said that people were lingering over their dinners so PSs got backed up. We sat in the Pub though (lucky go get a table) and had some drinks as we were waiting. When we were finally called, we got a table in the restaurant right next to the Pub, so it was noisy and crowded and not very relaxing. We all liked our food-- mom and I had the steak and prawns, while my fiance had the pie sampler (my bro was sick in the room ). Desserts were good as well. I loved my creme brulee, while mom and Adam thought the pudding was the best. Overall a really good meal in a disappointing atmosphere....

So..... I think I'm all through here! I would like to add that they had lost about 4 of our PSs, and even though we had the confirmation numbers, they said it didn't matter because they couldn't look them up that way. Luckily we got in anyway, but definitely confirm your PS before you go!!!
CheshireVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 10:18 AM   #2
Kaycee
Magic is everywhere if you know where to look...
Is left-handed in a right-handed world
WL VET
I'm not used to being the tag fairy 911 dispatcher

Wow, sounds like you had some fantastic meals! I hope the rest of your trip was as good as the food. Thanks for the reviews! :D

May 2007 Disneyland ~ April 2007 California Adventure ~ December 2005 The Swan ~ May 2005 The Swan ~ December 2004 The Swan ~ June 2004 Coronado Springs Resort ~ June 2003 Coronado Springs Resort ~ December 2002 Wilderness Lodge ~ June 2001 The Dolphin ~ 1984 three visits while living in Orlando ~ March 1972 Ft Wilderness Campground
Kaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-30-2004, 10:33 AM   #3
rasnlms

Tag Fairies like to add some color to your day!
DIS exchange queen

Great Reviews - Thanks for sharing!
:D
rasnlms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 10:38 AM   #4
KayleeUK
Still here.....

Thank you for this
Old 12-30-2004, 03:36 PM   #5
Philly81
Mouseketeer

I think I just gained 5 lbs. by reading your post! Sounds like you had some great meals. May I ask if they had prime rib on the buffet at H&V or at Cape May?
Philly81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 04:18 PM   #6
Big V
DIS Meet Veteran!
Has a heart the size of Texas, even if he is from Wisconsin!

You ate good! :D Thanks for the reviews.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:08 PM   #7
roger_ramjet
DIS Veteran

I was lucky not to gain more than five pounds. Good thing they make you do a lot of walking at the parks!
roger_ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 10:15 PM   #8
CheshireVal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly81
I think I just gained 5 lbs. by reading your post! Sounds like you had some great meals. May I ask if they had prime rib on the buffet at H&V or at Cape May?
You know what? I ate so much Prime Rib at Chef Mickey's, Cinderella's Royal Table, and Park Fare that I didn't even *look* for it at Cape May or H & V.

I'm pretty sure they didn't have any at H & V-- they had sirloin. They used to have it at Cape May but I think that might have been replaced with sirloin as well-- I was too busy eating clams and mussels to check.... maybe someone else will come along with a more definitive answer!
Old 12-30-2004, 10:41 PM   #9
SamSam

DIS Veteran

Great reviews, it sounds like you had some wonderful dining experiences. I have a question about the Grand Tea......would it be something dh and I could enjoy together, or is it more of a 'woman' thing? Dh is very open to any kind of dining experience, but I wouldn't want him to feel totally out of place. :D
Old 12-30-2004, 10:45 PM   #10
CheshireVal

Quote:
Great reviews, it sounds like you had some wonderful dining experiences. I have a question about the Grand Tea......would it be something dh and I could enjoy together, or is it more of a 'woman' thing? Dh is very open to any kind of dining experience, but I wouldn't want him to feel totally out of place.

I saw plenty of men at the tea! Some were part of larger groups, but there were definitely a few couples in there. If you think your husband would enjoy it, then go for it! They have a Prince Edwards Tea, similar to the Grand Tea, that has more "man friendly" things, too. I think you'll have a fabulous time!
Old 12-31-2004, 02:38 AM   #11
Minniespal

The Original 'Free Spirit'
Who's Next??

Great reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.
Minniespal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 03:23 PM   #12
Ron from Michigan
Our first Grandchild !!!

Thanks for the great reviews. We ate at some of the same places you did on our just compleated trip. We ate at Sci Fi, Le Cellier & Rose & Crown Pub, we enjoyed all 3 of them.
Old 12-31-2004, 05:02 PM   #13
armomof3lvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the great reviews!!!

May 2013 POR
February 2011 ASMU
March 2007, 2006, & 2003 POR
May 1997 Offsite
May 1983 Offsite
armomof3lvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 10:17 PM   #14
Aimeedyan
Why get all excited about something as silly as a fake celebrity? Or getting a tag?
Jello is not meant to be chunky

Y'all ate well, it sounds like! I'm glad most things were great - and those that weren't perfect, you still have a great attitude about it =)
1982 & 1990 ~ trips as a child ~1997 ~ Caribbean Beach ~ 2002 ~ Vacation Home ~ 2003 ~ Stayed with Family ~ 2004 ~ Port Orleans Riverside ~2006 ~ Pop Century & Disney's Vero Beach ~ 2007 ~ Wilderness Lodge & Yacht Club ~ 2008 ~ Carnival Cruise & All Star Music ~ 2009 ~ All Star Sports & Downtown Hotel ~ 2009 ~ All Star Music, Comfort Inn & Boardwalk Villas
Aimeedyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 07:21 PM   #15
SamSam

DIS Veteran

Cheshireval, Thanks...I'll put the Grand Tea on our 'must do' list. :D

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: