Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2004, 11:06 PM   #16
clkelley
I squealed really loud!!
I got one on my camper too

Oh shoot, I just read in the FAQ that the motorcoaches will be wheelchair accessible. There goes my theory that they would continue to use the Mears wheelchair vans for wheelchair and ECV guests. We may not use the service after all.

It also says that Delta (including Song) is one of the preferred carriers. I wonder if Delta Connection, such as ComAir and Chatauqua is also included.

Carol
clkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 09:47 PM   #17
Okiemom
Mouseketeer

Magical Express VS Town Car

Its been a couple of years since I flew into Orlando. In the Magical Express Service they said depature time from resort would be 2 3/4 hours, I guess that sounds better than 3 hrs?
How much time do the town car services require ahead of flight time? Is it that long too?

It will be interesting to see what it does to the Town Car Services this summer?
Okiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2005, 10:23 PM   #18
localdriver
Mears/DME Motorcoach Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiemom
Its been a couple of years since I flew into Orlando. In the Magical Express Service they said depature time from resort would be 2 3/4 hours, I guess that sounds better than 3 hrs?
How much time do the town car services require ahead of flight time? Is it that long too?

It will be interesting to see what it does to the Town Car Services this summer?
It takes 30 to 35 min to get to the airport.

The Airlines would like you to check in 2 hrs prior. So sit at the resort and risk missing your flight, or go when recommended and sit at the airport, your choice. it is what it is.

Taking a town car might save you a few min, but where are you going? the flight leaves when it leaves.

Last edited by localdriver; 01-27-2005 at 10:39 PM.
localdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 12:04 AM   #19
Okiemom
Mouseketeer

I was not asking so I could sit at the resort longer, I was seeing if there was a big time difference between the two types in time pick up. If there was a huge difference, we could stay at the parks longer.

I know the flight leaves when the flight leaves, that was not the point.
It sounds like it would be the same time frame.
Okiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 06:55 AM   #20
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiemom
I was not asking so I could sit at the resort longer, I was seeing if there was a big time difference between the two types in time pick up. If there was a huge difference, we could stay at the parks longer.

I know the flight leaves when the flight leaves, that was not the point.
It sounds like it would be the same time frame.
We routinely got picked up about 2 hrs. before our flight time. That way we got to the airport about 1 1/2 hrs before our flight. So, it looks like a difference of about 3/4 of an hour.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 07:27 AM   #21
CarolA

Hasn't been overlooked by the Tag Fairy

Personally I don't really care what the airlines like. Even the peak times on the MCO website are waits of an hour and in numerous flights I have never waited more then a few minutes. So... I normally arrive an hour in advance.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:24 AM   #22
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolA
Personally I don't really care what the airlines like. Even the peak times on the MCO website are waits of an hour and in numerous flights I have never waited more then a few minutes. So... I normally arrive an hour in advance.
That may work for you but Disney may get some complaints from the airport and/or airlines if they completely ignore the 2 hour rule for the thousands of guests they'll be transporting. It also gives them some leeway if a bus breaks down or there are accident delays. Some guests won't have any trouble getting a later flight but others may be flying to a destination with only one or two flights a day or where the flights are generally overbooked.

I agree with you, if you arrange your own transportation you can cut the times a lot closer.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 12:30 PM   #23
pumpkinboy

The Tag Fairy has found you...needer, needer, needer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkelley
Oh shoot, I just read in the FAQ that the motorcoaches will be wheelchair accessible. There goes my theory that they would continue to use the Mears wheelchair vans for wheelchair and ECV guests. We may not use the service after all.
It also says that Delta (including Song) is one of the preferred carriers. I wonder if Delta Connection, such as ComAir and Chatauqua is also included.
Carol
Yeah, I saw that about the wheelchair equipped coached too Carol. Previously with Mears, we'd get the wheelchair van with personal chauffeur. But then again, it really doesn't matter to me whether we're in a van or a bus, as long as they get us there comfortably and safely, and get us our luggage. I imagine the buses will be a bit more comfortable than the wheelchair vans anyway.

As for departure times, we are good doobies and always arrive at the airport 2 hours ahead, whether using a rental car, towncar or Mears. So we'd be heading out of the resort 2 3/4 hours ahead of our flight time anyway, so no biggie.

And I believe that if you have a Delta ticket, that you will be fine on any of the Delta Connection carriers. You may want to check that, but I suspect you'll be fine.
BCV 10/05, 11/06, 9/08, 4/12; BWV 11/04, 4/05, 10/05, 2/06, 11/06, 2/07, 2/08, 2/09, 8/10, 2/11, 4/12 and happily ever after...
Upcoming: Boys' weekend 12/1-3 1st time in a Value)
Upcoming: February vacation at Vero Beach & BWV
pumpkinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 04:11 PM   #24
jackskellingtonsgirl
Jello Shot Chick
I am scarred for life from wearing knock off brands
I opened the door and gave them the "nanny death stare"!

Our Town Car pick-up from Pop back to MCO was at 4:45 AM, our flight was about 7 AM. Even that early in the morning on a Sunday we had a decent wait in the security lines. American wants passengers at the airport 90 minutes ahead for domestic flights with checked baggage, so leaving 2 hr. 45 min. before our flight isn't such a big deal. Our flight home WILL NOT be at 7:00 AM next time! LOL I think it is 3:20 PM, so we will still have time to putz around before we have to get on the Magical Express. And view a video? I missed that little point earlier. Hmm... I suppose a video presentation is the exchange for free transport. What do we think the topic of this video might be?
AKV CL June '11 AKV June '10 AKL Dec. '09 AKV CL Aug. '09 AKL/SSR/Poly/AKV Aug. '08 AKL Dec. '07 WL Aug. '07 AKL Feb. '07 Pop Dec. '06 AKL Aug. '06 Pop Oct. '05 Pop Jan. '05

jackskellingtonsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 12:57 PM   #25
gw_lit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackskellingtonsgirl
Hmm... I suppose a video presentation is the exchange for free transport. What do we think the topic of this video might be?
Let's see... on the way from the airport to WDW.... "while you're here, be sure to check out DVC... you can 'own' a place to stay at Disney!"

And on the way back to the airport.... "we hope you had a Magical vacation... and if you didn't get a chance to check out DVC... here's how you can... "
May 2008 (Visit before DS#1 turns 10 and has to pay adult prices.)
May 2004 - Poly (the boys' first Disney trip!)
October 1996 - offsite (WDW 25th Anniversary Pepto Castle Celebration)
October 1991 - offsite
1974,1976, 1981, 1983 - offsite
gw_lit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 01:01 PM   #26
bw2003
Earning My Ears

Question

Do you know if the Magical Express applies to Disney Vacation Club resorts?

5 4 1
bw2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 07:39 PM   #27
ganggreen4jc
Mouseketeer

I'd like to know how many baggage tags they'll send me. Mrs. GG sometimes needs more than one suitcase and our daughter is beginning to follow in her mother's footsteps!
ganggreen4jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 06:45 AM   #28
DebIreland
ಠvಠ

Smile This is a great thread!

This thread is so informative. I'm very relieved to read all about the Magical Express as I wasn't sure if it applied to international visitors or not and I'm really happy that it does. We'll be flying into Orlando from New York (as NY is the first leg of our holiday) and flying out of Orlando into Ireland and I didn't know if the mix of domestic/international flights would be a problem. Looks like we'll be fine. Woohoo!!! And how lovely to be met at Orlando by Disney employees in costume! That means it feels magical instantly! Can't wait.
DebIreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 08:55 AM   #29
msehsejim1
Earning My Ears

Baggage and the Transfer

OK here goes....your luggage is going to be handled exactly as if it were going to the DCL...they have that experience and has been done for some time....at 1st. I am sure some confusion and mix ups...but it will placed on luggage vans and then off to the resorts and then your room...the guest are going to be put on buses like the DCL and "supposed to be" decroated and designed for the resorts more than the DCL buses.....May 5th. should be fun to watch.. training is going on now for that day
msehsejim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 08:57 AM   #30
msehsejim1
Earning My Ears

DVC guests

It applies to those who book through the Disney Resvervation Center and Travel agents....as for DVC you would have to check through your Guest Servicce Agents...another confusing issue to deal with
msehsejim1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: