Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2004, 03:01 PM   #1
Blue62
Mouseketeer

Is there any good food in Disney World?

We've made three trips over the past 4 years and have eaten at:

O'Hana
Kona Cafe - way overrated
Chef Mickey's - okay, but less friendly this time, rushing the characters now
Boma - we liked this okay
Crystal Palace - average buffet food, good character interaction
Liberty Tree Tavern - TV dinner quality
Whispering Canyon Cafe - mediocre
Rainforest Cafe - mediocre, way over priced for the quality
Biergarten - okay
San Angel Inn - okay, but falls short of the price

The best of these was O'Hana. We have eaten there 4 times, but last week even it wasn't so good. Seems the appetizers that come out before the skewers aren't as good as I recall, the pork was dry as dry can be and the pineapple was very unripe. All in all not bad, but not what I expect when I'm throwing down that much cash.

So at this point I truly do not believe I have had a Disney meal that is as good as the Outback Steakhouse..... which makes me think, why am I paying all this money when the food has never lived up to the price? Next time I go I think I'm going to put a little advanced effort into identifying the better eateries outside the park OR just go with counter service. Our best meal in Disney this last trip including the 4 sit-down restaurants we did... the very best was burgrers at Pecos Bills!

I think I am just about done paying $70-$90 for Disney food. Next trip I am going to schedule meals at La Celier and Tepanyaki (sp) and if those don't come through I'm throwing in the towel and going with the $4 hotdogs
Blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 03:11 PM   #2
jordanyosh
DIS Veteran

Flying Fish, Yachtsman Steakhouse, California Grill, Spoodles, Brown Derby, Jiko, Artist Point, Earl of Sandwich, Tusker House...........too many good ones to name.
jordanyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-28-2004, 03:17 PM   #3
ciera321
DIS Veteran

Our favorite is Le Cellier!! Everything we've ever had there is so good. Jiko is also wonderful!!

ciera321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 03:37 PM   #4
sotoalf
DIS Veteran

Dont' be offended, butyou're not being very adventurous. Theme park cuisine is, well, theme park cuisine, even if it's table service. Whispering Canyon and Kona Cafe are hotel coffee shops with above average food, nothing more. In fact, I'm amazed that in all your visits you haven't visited the California Grill once.

If you want good meals at WDW, you have to pay for them. I suggest Citricos, California Grill, Narcoosee's, Artist Point, Flying Fish (notice that all these restaurants are at hotels).
sotoalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 03:40 PM   #5
chrisn
DIS Veteran

Lol!

I'm going to step into my flame retardent suit. I totally think WDW's food is over rated. We've eaten at so many restaurants there and almost everything has just been mediocre, uninspiring, a little blah, ect. Nothing is really a standout. It's just ok. Do I keep eating at sitdowns and making those PS's. Absolutely. Part of the experience for us is eating in Disney. I swear I think they sprinkle pixie dust on the food because I have actually convinced myself that I love eating the food at Disney. I think it's the experience, the atmosphere, the overall feel of it. Like the completion of a really cool day. I don't know, that's just my take on it. I even think the snacks are over rated (especially the Dole Whip). IMHO, it's not the food that's blowing everyone's dress up unless there are mostly non impressive eateries in everyone's home towns and I definitely don't believe that. The best Disney dish I've ever had is the Portabella Mushroom Appetizer I scarfed down in Palo on the Disney Magic. Now that was impressive! I really think the food is just all part of that feeling. That's why it's easier for me to believe they sprinkle pixie dust on the food. Oh well, looking forward to more standard but "magical" meals in February.
Old 12-28-2004, 03:57 PM   #6
wdw_dine_junkie
DIS Veteran

All of the best meals I've had were outside of the parks. Jiko, California Grill and the Flying Fish all have wonderful food. Le Cellier is the best we've had inside the parks. I wouldn't have expected any of the restaurants on the OP's original list to be outstanding, especially the character meals. Maybe Boma, but it's still a buffet. I've learned not to expect impressive food at those for the most part. Boatwrights has excellent sweet potato pancakes if you are looking for a good breakfast.

Try the resort restaurants, you may be pleasantly surprised!
wdw_dine_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 04:14 PM   #7
zalansky

DIS Veteran

I think alot of the food is over rated as well. I often wonder if those who love WDW food have any good restaurants in their home towns?
With that said though, we love Mama Melrose and our favorite is Jiko. Jiko was outstanding.
Oh, and we have had several great meals at Palo on the cruise as well.

zalansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 04:30 PM   #8
sotoalf
DIS Veteran

If you all think Disney food is overrated now, you should have been there 25 years ago. Yikes! A truly grisly state of affairs. Not even the resort restaurants were that good.
sotoalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 06:06 PM   #9
webray
Love the wineauxs!

There are a few wonderful restaurants at WDW.

Jiko, Artist Point, Flying Fish, Le Bistro, Blue Zoo(for dinner)
Chefs de France, Alfredo's, House of Blues (for lunch or dinner)

Fresh, Spoodles, Boma and Kona Cafe (for breakfast)

Those are just a few of the top restaurants on our list.

We find Le Cellier mediocre. We go in for appetizers, breadsticks and dessert if we eat there at all. Teppanyaki..was good when we went..haven't been in a few years.
webray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 07:39 PM   #10
Peter Pirate
Its not the end of civilization...But you can see it from here...
I admit it. I'm a food network geek

I agree webray, as ridiculous as the OP's list of restaurants (to condem WDW's food) is the comment that no food at WDW is world class. Clearly they have not been to Jiko, Artist Point, V&A's or C.Grill (on a good night)...
Old 12-28-2004, 07:59 PM   #11
jeepgirl30
DIS Veteran

Out of the list the OP had, O'hana and Rainforest are a couple of my favs. No, the food is not outstanding at either however the atmosphere is great and that really helps the food for me. I go there for the whole experience not just the food. Although I still think the food is pretty good.

If I'm going for the food I go to CG. I also had fantastic food at Flying Fish. The Maya Grill at CSR was pretty darn good.

Someone mentioned maybe the food in people's hometowns weren't great. Well I have had the opportunity to travel to some great places and have eaten at many gourmet expensive places and would go to Disney's CG anytime!
jeepgirl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 09:26 PM   #12
dpuck1998
I'm innocent I tell you...innocent! I've been framed!

Worlds second largest Miami Dolphin fan

Ditto Jeepgirl30, not sure about the "food in peoples hometown being great" comment either. Seems nowdays food in every home town is the same, McDonalds, Olive Garden, Outback....so on so on.

Yachtsman, Shulas, Cali. Grill....some of the best resturants in the country. Drop these in any "hometown" and they will still be some of the best in the country.

Aug03'Yacht Club Concierge;Feb04'OKW;Oct04'Poly;Jan05'SSR;Jan06'SoG;April06'BCV/RPR;Jan07'BCV;
March07'Cruis'en;Sept07'HRH/MNSSHP;Dec07'Xmas@BCV;June08'VWL;May09'AKV/Podcast Cruise;Dec09'BCV/AKV for Xmas
April10'POR
dpuck1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 09:26 PM   #13
Blue62
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotoalf
Dont' be offended, butyou're not being very adventurous. Theme park cuisine is, well, theme park cuisine, even if it's table service. Whispering Canyon and Kona Cafe are hotel coffee shops with above average food, nothing more. In fact, I'm amazed that in all your visits you haven't visited the California Grill once.

If you want good meals at WDW, you have to pay for them. I suggest Citricos, California Grill, Narcoosee's, Artist Point, Flying Fish (notice that all these restaurants are at hotels).
Not offended at all and I have had the exact same thought, hence one of the reasons for this post. The three visits we have made in the last 4 years have included very young children. The first time an 11 month old and a 2.5 yo, then a year later and recentnly at 4.5 and just 6..... so that has been a BIG factor in selection. We have felt California Grill and Artist POint, etc. were out of the question given our young children. BUT given our experience relative to all the positive's I have read about the places that we have had mediocre food I am honestly hesitant about the supposed top of Disney's line.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:31 PM   #14
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

For steaks, IMHO the most underrated steakhouse on WDW is the Concourse Steakhouse in the Contemporary. The only downside is the ambiance caused by the noise from Chef Mickey's.

In Epcot Chefs de France and Bistro de Paris are jointly run by three chefs from France. Between them they have eight Michelin stars (the one who is the Pastry Chef has only two). Each of them is is residence for a week every three months so one of them is there for a week each month. All the cooks and servers are their employees in the US for a one-year assignment. You will be able to dine in an excellant French restaurant while dressed in Park Casual.

And then, of course, there is Victoria and Albert's in the Grand Floridian. The only thing to say about it is that it is the only restaurant in the entire state of Florida (and one of less than 50 in the entire country) that AAA has rated with five Diamonds. (Note this has a dress code with tie and jacket.)

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! Currently at Everything Pop Merchandise after nine years in Guest Services/Ticket Sales.

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 09:48 PM   #15
Blue62
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pirate
I agree webray, as ridiculous as the OP's list of restaurants (to condem WDW's food) is the comment that no food at WDW is world class. Clearly they have not been to Jiko, Artist Point, V&A's or C.Grill (on a good night)...
I may be misreading your post, but I'm not sure that I have condemmed WDW's food. What I am saying is that based on our list, which I do realize is limited, we have yet to find consistent quality at the level of an Outback Steakhouse. My question is not a condemnation, but rather is sincere, because I think I've put in over $1000 now and if it doesn't get better I'm done with it. What I'm looking for is confirmation that yes there is really good Disney food out there or confirmation of the point that the food is over priced and mediocre.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: