Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2004, 08:47 PM   #31
mbcary

DIS Veteran

I think it is great and many people will take advantage of it. I am glad Disney is taking the "extra" step to help their travelers even more. I am extremely impressed and suprised!!

I, for one, will definitely be taking advantage of it in the future. Good luck to anyone else who uses the service.
mbcary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 09:09 PM   #32
Tabetha
DIS Veteran

No thanks! I'd rather wait a few minutes for my luggage and be picked up immediately by a TC and dropped off directly!

I've waited around for Mears before - not my favourite part of any trip.
Register to remove

Old 12-28-2004, 09:44 PM   #33
FatCow
FatCow is a dude
Aren't male cows bulls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal
Isn't anyone else wondering how they cleared this with the FAA? The first question they ask when you check into the airport is "has your luggage been out of your control at any time since you packed?" Well, the obvious answer to that will be "yes".
Didn't think about that... but you are absolutely correct.
FatCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 09:54 PM   #34
betterlatethannever
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal
Isn't anyone else wondering how they cleared this with the FAA? The first question they ask when you check into the airport is "has your luggage been out of your control at any time since you packed?" Well, the obvious answer to that will be "yes". I can't see the airlines allowing this, but who knows. ...
It looks like the resort luggage check in desk will act as the airline ticket counter and they will ask the "question".

Am I right in assuming that you wouldn't see your luggage until you got back to your home airport?

the counter at the resort would have to weigh and tag your bags and give you the luggage "receipt"?!!

Lets say you check your luggage at 9AM for a 6PM flight. You go to the parks and enjoy your day. Your luggage is sent to the airport at 10AM, goes through x ray and sits at the airport for 6 hours. Would that be right?

It looks like a logistical nightmare.

Ed
betterlatethannever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 10:14 PM   #35
kilee

The Tag Fairy knows all, sees all.....
Love is in the air!

Does sound like a wonderful idea-- even though there a going to definetly be bugs that will have to be worked out. We always rent a car no matter if we stay on or off site. DH doesn't like to be w/o one (unless we're on a trip in NYC then he does the taxi thing). Actually, DH says that the Disney area and WDW property is some of the best "marked" for out of area travelers in his opinion.
kilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 10:21 PM   #36
disneyjunkie
I'VE GOT MY EYES ON YOU!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcary
I think it is great and many people will take advantage of it. I am glad Disney is taking the "extra" step to help their travelers even more. I am extremely impressed and suprised!!

I, for one, will definitely be taking advantage of it in the future. Good luck to anyone else who uses the service.
ITA
disneyjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 10:33 PM   #37
disneyfreakjackie
The only thing better than a Disney trip is a new tag!
I want my tag fairy to be Jon Bon Jovi in a soft white robe . . . or not!!
Pick on Bon Jovi and you'll be living on a prayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by debloco
While I am sure that many, many people will like and take advantage of this nice, money-saving perk, I cannot see my family using this service. We have tried the Mears shuttle in the past and found it to be very time consuming. The shuttles do not depart until they are full and then make multiple stops to drop off passengers at different resorts. The time spent waiting for additional passengers plus the time spent unloading passengers at multiple stops is not an efficient use of our vacation time. They also pick you up almost 3 hours prior to your flight time! That's time that could be spent in the park. I would rather pay the $50 for a cab right after I deplane and get to the resort in 1/2 an hour than go through the new Disney process and shuttle. It comes down to time vs. money and for us, I'd rather spend the $ and have more time and less hassle. JMO.

CLC Tiger Pom Mom
My thoughts EXACTLY!!! It's like you read my mind!!

Tiffany Towncar is the best! We have used them three times and LOVE them. You tell them when to pick you up for your departure, plus the grocery stop. The drivers have always been nice and it's a PRIVATE, DIRECT ride to your resort. You wait for no one but yourself!! The $95 round trip (for six) is well worth it to us!!!
6/94~Poly*5/00~DixieLandings*12/00~Sports*12/01~Sports*4/02~Riverside*12/03~Music*8/04~Wilderness Lodge*5/05~Riverside & Caribbean Beach*8/05~Coronado Springs*02/06~French Quarter*8/06~Coronado Springs & DISNEY WONDER*8/07~POP & DISNEY MAGIC-Eastern*8/08~Coronado Springs*5/09~Movies*10/10~7-nights @ Bay Lake Tower! & DISNEY MAGIC-Western Caribbean Halloween Cruise *8/11~9-nights~Bay Lake Tower*5/12~ Boardwalk Villa's~6-nights*~11/12 Grand CALIFORNIAN & DISNEY WONDER-Mexican Riviera*8/13~Animal Kingdom Lodge/Kidani~10-nights

disneyfreakjackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 10:34 PM   #38
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

From what was described so far, Mears is going to own and operate the coaches (buses) taking guests between the airport and Disney. I am still surprised that in all their 30 years of service to WDW guests they hadn't themselves invented Disney resort only trips, not fully non-stop to your resort but avoiding the traffic lights on International Drive and Hotel Plaza.

As far as baggage sitting in the airport from your checkout time until your flight time, the whole operation is being orchestrated by different companies and I am sure Orlando Airport is cooperating.

Airport agents don't ask the question, "Has your bag been out of your control...?" any more do they?

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

Last trip: Jan. '05, Pop Century, rented a car

Last edited by seashoreCM; 01-08-2005 at 09:00 AM.
seashoreCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 10:44 PM   #39
disneyfreakjackie
The only thing better than a Disney trip is a new tag!
I want my tag fairy to be Jon Bon Jovi in a soft white robe . . . or not!!
Pick on Bon Jovi and you'll be living on a prayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashoreCM
Airport agents don't ask the question, "Has your bag been out of your control...?" any more do they?
Yes!! At EWR (Newark, NJ) they asked us in May!!
6/94~Poly*5/00~DixieLandings*12/00~Sports*12/01~Sports*4/02~Riverside*12/03~Music*8/04~Wilderness Lodge*5/05~Riverside & Caribbean Beach*8/05~Coronado Springs*02/06~French Quarter*8/06~Coronado Springs & DISNEY WONDER*8/07~POP & DISNEY MAGIC-Eastern*8/08~Coronado Springs*5/09~Movies*10/10~7-nights @ Bay Lake Tower! & DISNEY MAGIC-Western Caribbean Halloween Cruise *8/11~9-nights~Bay Lake Tower*5/12~ Boardwalk Villa's~6-nights*~11/12 Grand CALIFORNIAN & DISNEY WONDER-Mexican Riviera*8/13~Animal Kingdom Lodge/Kidani~10-nights

disneyfreakjackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 11:30 PM   #40
Ahrizel
Mouseketeer

Seems to me with Magic Express and the new tickets Disney is making sure you don't even have a chance to set foot on anything but their property. The MYW tickets cost only a few dollars more to add each day after about 4 days. You take the free bus in, so you don't rent a car. Why go to Seaworld or Universal (and pay $55+) when another 3 bucks gets you another day at the world? Disney has very cleverly thought up a way to insure you spend all your time-and money- at WDW. AND, the new customizable tickets and free bus make it look like their doing guests a big favor in the process. Disney is good!
Is that a complaint? No, they're in business and doing a darn good job at it. We always rent a car, so the new bus doesn't matter to us. We usually stay offsite and we love Seaworld and the independence a car gives us. And I realize that the new tickets and bus service will be very helpful to some people. But this service will end up making money for Disney I suspect, even if they don't directly charge for it. I'm a major Disney addict, and can't wait to go back, but I'm impressed with just how long term smart this plan is. Devious, but smart.
Ahrizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 11:36 PM   #41
LoriMistress
Donald Duck, you're my hero.

Sounds like a great idea....hope it works.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:37 AM   #42
DrTomorrow
Your Disney friend from the Future!
Attempting to prevent a paradox

This isn't new, it's just new for Disney. Las Vegas has had various forms of this for years; 9/11 put a crimp in the "check your bags at the hotel - we'll put them on the plane" program (CAPPS?).

Also, when DW and I were newbie travellers, we went to Las Vegas on a package deal: flight, hotel, shuttle, luggage service - and we rarely had everything work out correctly. We've had the luggage picked up at our hotel and put on the wrong departing flight. We've had to wait hours for our luggage to arrive in our hotel from the airport. We've had shuttles take hours to drop us off at the hotel; sometimes one bus will handle 4 or 5 hotels - if you're last on the list, better bring a book. We've had shuttles pick us up for the airport late; and once it never showed up, necessitating a taxi ride and a rush to the plane.

I've given up my commando days, and I can actually sleep nights not knowing whether the MK is open until 7 or 8 on the third day of my trip, but I refuse to leave key issues like transportation and luggage handling in anyone's control but my own.

Here's a thought - anyone game to depend on this on the May 5, the first day it's available?

I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar!
DrTomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 10:39 AM   #43
disneyjunkie
I'VE GOT MY EYES ON YOU!!!

I don't think this service will be much different from the service offered by DCL. I haven't heard any stories of lost luggage. I don't recall anyone complaining about it taking hours to get from the airport to any of the WDW resorts.

I plan to use the service during our July 2006 trip. I was planning to use Tiffany Town Car since there will 9 of us, but FREE is much better than the $130.00 we'd have to pay for a van.

There was a thread on the budget board about a month ago about a company that will deliver groceries to your resort. You send them your grocery list and they will shop at the store of your choice. They charge a small delivery free.

The free shuttle (I wonder how long it'll be free) and the grocery delivery will work great for us.
disneyjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 10:55 AM   #44
jaysmom4285
DIS Veteran

I agree with Disneyjunkie that DCL has been doing this very efficiently for some time, so it isn't like Disney is new at this and has to start from scratch. When we did DCL land/sea cruises, after we got off the plane at MCO, we were directed by Disney personnel who were at the airport to the Disney bus counter (my term, not theirs), and buses were filled by WDW destination. Since I presume the shuttles are smaller than the full sized buses we used, I imagine they would fill up a lot faster. We took our carry-on bags on the bus with us. The buses did stop at more than one resort, but the stops were grouped. When we stayed at the Poly for the land part of our land/sea, the bus stopped at each of the four MK resorts. I presume they would do the same with Epcot resorts, etc. So it isn't a long meandering ride around WDW property. And when we disembarked from the cruise boat, there were counters outside staffed with airline personnel who took care of the bags (including tagging and weighing) and loaded them onto trucks for each airline, while the passengers got on a bus for the airport, carry-ons in hand. I suspect that WDW may have airline personnel to do this at the WDW resorts under the new Magical Express program as well, although that is just speculation on my part. We've done the land/sea three times and Disney has handled the bags from start to finish each time, very efficiently with no problems. I would imagine they could just apply that same procedure to resort only stays. And whoever said this is right: they don't ask the questions any more about who packed your bags and if they've been under your control.
jaysmom4285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 11:07 AM   #45
Sandyincanada
DIS Cast Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmom4285
And whoever said this is right: they don't ask the questions any more about who packed your bags and if they've been under your control.
That must depend on the airline. I travel alot (work related and pleasure) locally, transborder and internationally (all this year, different airlines) and I've been asked this question on every trip.

Suess Landing - Islands of Adventure
Sandyincanada is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: