Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2004, 01:56 AM   #1
danacara
Parlez-vous Francais?
Likes things huge (I know what you're thinking and it's not that!)

Culture of the Commonplace?

Got an email today from a guy who works as Bill Frist's Josh Lyman (if that makes sense to the political folk out there, ha). He's a charming man, incredibly articulate and smart, generally speaking. Here was his closing line:

"America has something of a culture of the commonplace. What you
will softly hear is the pressure to fit in. Don't sweat it."

I'm thinking about this - do you agree? Are we a culture of the commonplace, however you define that?
danacara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 12:41 PM   #2
WWTBAMFAN
Registered

Yes, there is pressure in the business community to fit in at times. I avoid discussing politics with most busness associates because there is such strong feelings at time. I work with some very conservative business people including one of the top contributors to the Bush campaign (he is a ranger or a pioneer, whichever is the higher category) and it is safer to avoid politics and try to fit in.
WWTBAMFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-28-2004, 12:48 PM   #3
meandtheguys2
Did not need to resort to hissy fit
Why is it a his-sy fit and not a her-sy fit?

I think that people are trained in this country to "fall into line" in the school system. Take something like homeschooling and try to say that the schools do not know it all and all hell breaks out. I believe that American people are taught from an early age to conform. Anytime folks express an idea that is negative, or different than the main stream, they are labeled at best "troublemakers" and a lot worse!

disclaimer: I chose homeschooling as an example due to having experienced both condemnation of it (as an aunt in the 80's) and a proponent (participant) now. I did not use it to start a school argument!
meandtheguys2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 12:55 PM   #4
EsmeraldaX
Registered

Yes. I think so.

I work in a very liberal environment (some of my co-works I would actually consider to be extremists on the left...one of them is downright scary, ie. thinks it's okay to bomb SUV sale lots because SUVs are gas guzzlers etc., burns books written by conservative authors etc., he also has hung up anti-Semitic and anti Isreal propaganda at his desk and not once has anyone told him to take it down. I was told to remove a small American flag and a photo from a paper of my friend in the marines from my desk.)

I would not be surprised if they'd start looking for reasons to fire me because I am a moderate conservative. There are only 4 other people in my office of over 70 that I am aware of as being non-liberal. 2 women and 2 men and me.

My boss has some rather nasty anti Bush posters and stickers up in her office and I didn't dare say a word about how unprofessional I thought it was. I had co-workers insult my beliefs to my face and never even stop for a second to think that maybe not everyone thinks like them.

There is an air of "think like us or get the hell out" in my office building.

By the way, I am not like a diehard right winger either. I'd say I'm 50/50.

ETA : Again, not trying to start a political debate. Just using this as an example of a place in my day to day life where I really DO NOT fit in and feel the pressure.
EsmeraldaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 12:56 PM   #5
Missy1961
Knows who did it and why
Fell for it on 17th birthday
Can't travel in old underwear and socks!
Stop eating with food in your mouths!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meandtheguys2
I think that people are trained in this country to "fall into line" in the school system. Take something like homeschooling and try to say that the schools do not know it all and all hell breaks out. I believe that American people are taught from an early age to conform. Anytime folks express an idea that is negative, or different than the main stream, they are labeled at best "troublemakers" and a lot worse!

disclaimer: I chose homeschooling as an example due to having experienced both condemnation of it (as an aunt in the 80's) and a proponent (participant) now. I did not use it to start a school argument!
I think you hit the nail on the head. (and home schooling is a great example, BTW). We are a country of fads, of fitting in, of not being different. We used to be "rugged individualists" but no more.
Castle Every morning I bring you a cup of coffee, just so I can see a smile on your face. Because I think you are the most remarkable, maddening, challenging, frustrating, person I've ever met. And I love you Kate

Castle: Everything Iíve ever done, every choice Iíve ever made, every terrible or wonderful thing thatís ever happened to me, itís all led me to right here, this moment with you.

Beckett: I need you to know that our partnership, our relationship, is the greatest thing that has ever happened to me. You're an amazing man and I love you with all of my heart. Always.

Beckett: I found the tape. I found it. It's over. Senator Bracken, you are under arrest for conspiracy, fraud and the murder of my mother, Johanna Beckett.

Castle: She's proud of you. Wherever she is, she's proud.
Missy1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 03:42 PM   #6
gina2000
anonymous

I call it the dumbing down of America.
gina2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 07:35 PM   #7
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

Absolutely, and it is most evident in everyone who tries to be politically correct. No one states an opinion anymore for fear they'll insult someone.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: