Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2004, 04:15 PM   #1
Pongo69
Buttercream Cakes and Turkey Legs make me weak in the knees
Do people actually slide down the big slide in Blizzard Beach? If so, where do they land?

Unhappy Child Support issue:Florida and Georgia Disers or anyone with inside knowledge help

Ok 2 years ago my sil's husband came home from California and told her wanted a divorce infront of the kids. He packed up and moved to Florida to live and eventually married a woman he met on the flight to California. Of course this devestated my sil to no end, but like I told her life goes on and she has her 2 daughters to see about.

Now here's the problem, her ex will NOT Pay Child Support. She took him to court and yes he was ordered to pay back child support in the amount of $5000.00 which she only received 1200 of. At the time he was working for the Florida State Police department, but was let go for whatever reason. He was ordered to provide insurance for the kids which he has not. He was ordered to pay $700.00 a month which does not pay. He feels because she's in Georgia and he's in Florida nothing will be done. When she called the Prosecutors office, she was told that she wasn't the only one going thru this and there were other criminals already locked up for not paying child support so get in line!

He is working as a Bishop of all things and get this when they were married he was an ordained minister sorry but I hope he bust hell wide open. Anyway, to keep from paying child support he is paid in cash by the church where he's employed.

By the time she finish paying the mortgage, child care, tuition, car note, insurance and utilities she has nothing. ON top of that her oldest dd11 is giving her hell. She is rebelling like mad because her father left. She is flunking all her classes, she won't talk to the therapist, she very very spiteful and she always telling her mother she hates her. This on top of everything else is killing my sil and I'm afraid she is seriously about to lose it.

Her parents have helped in the past but she has so much pride she refuse to call them anymore because she's ashamed. I sent her a couple hundred today to help out, but like I told her I would personally hunt his butt down and make him pay. I don't care how long it takes he would pay because he is responsible for those girls also. I found SupportKids.com online and gave her the number to call so I hope that helps. As far as an Attorney she can't afford one after she pay out every month.

This is what I wanted to know from any Lawyers, disers who have gone thru this or anyone that can help in Florida or Ga. Besides constantly calling the Ga's and Florida's Prosecutors office and not getting anywhere, what else can she do. I told her to have him arrested for non payment of child support. I would hound him no matter what by any means nessecary because he had a hand in creating the kids also.
I don't know if this program is in Fl or Ga where the deadbeat dad goes back and fourth to work from jail as they did in Wisconsin, but if this is an option I believe she should go for it.
If there are other child support organizations who enforce child support that any of you know of who work with cases such as this please let me know.

I know this being the Christmas Holiday Season and all everyone is busy, but if anyone in Fl or Ga can give me any advice or name of a company that would help my sil get this dog to do his part pleas let me know.

Thank you

Last edited by Pongo69; 12-16-2004 at 04:36 PM. Reason: spelling
Pongo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 04:46 PM   #2
chrissyk
It will be great to have a built-in DIS neighbor
I'm still trying to convert grandma to being a Grobanite

If she knows he's being paid in cash to avoid child support, why doesn't she dime him out to the IRS? It's not too likely that he's claiming that under-the-table $$$, is it? That might be a start...
chrissyk is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-16-2004, 04:50 PM   #3
jennyl772003
Since I got married on Castaway Cay, shouldn't I get to go back every year for my anniversary?
We order lots of pizza, but switch the brands around so that the delivery men don't think we're quite so pathetic

I do not live in GA or FL, but from my experience, you are pretty much out of luck. I only recieved a handful of checks ever from my sons father. He even had his wages garnished, but if you know how to play the system, you never have to pay. He had warrants, but they never serve them on him. He finally owed upwards of $13,000 and got arrested. The problem is, he only had to pay $2000 to get out. Then he stopped paying again. I think the whole child support system needs a major overhaul and that these sorry excuses for human beings be required to own up to their responsibilities!!!! Argh!

Anyway, in my case it is no longer an issue as my wonderful husband has adopted my son.

July 20-Aug 3, 2013 AKV Jambo Concierge; Aug 18-30, 2012 AKV Jambo; Nov 4-18, 2011 AKV Jambo Concierge; Aug 7-22, 2010 AKV Jambo; Aug 22-Sept 6, 2009 AKV Kidani; Sept 16-27, 2008 AKV Jambo; Sept 29-Oct 6 Magic Eastern & Oct 6-10, 2007 SSR; August 18-2, 2006 CSR; Feb 28-March 5, 2006 Pop; August 18-27, 2005 Pop & SSR; August 21-28 Magic San Juan Cruise & Aug 29-30, 2004 off site; June 28-July 5 Magic Wedding Cruise & July 5-9, 2003 POR; July 22-27, 2002 POR
jennyl772003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 04:57 PM   #4
MagicalMom
Star of the new show "TFI: Tag Fairy Investigator"
Crushed ice addict

I'm in Delaware, but have experience with child support. My ex is over 20,000 in arrears. He'll pick up & move anytime there is a chance he'll be caught. I have occasionally received checks. I received one over the summer for 1500.00. I assume he must have been caught & ordered to pay something or else. Child support enforcement is no help. From what I understand, there are more liely to go after the parents of children receiving state benefits. There are other organizations out there that will attempt to get the money, but they will take a large percentage of it as their share. It's really tough when the noncustodial parent moves to another state. Sorry I don't have any better information.

mikeandlisa on Cruisecritic
MagicalMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 05:14 PM   #5
Pongo69
Do people actually slide down the big slide in Blizzard Beach? If so, where do they land?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissyk
If she knows he's being paid in cash to avoid child support, why doesn't she dime him out to the IRS? It's not too likely that he's claiming that under-the-table $$$, is it? That might be a start...
Chrissy who knows, he's slicker than satan! To top it off his uncle is Lake County's old Prosecutor Bernard Carter
Old 12-16-2004, 05:22 PM   #6
DukeStreetKing
Never Say Gobble Again
Wants to be a successful writer

Sorry, I don't have any answers, other than the one's given, but any man who doesn't pay child support is scum. It's bad enough that the children have to deal with the divorce. When my ex-wife and I got divorced, we pretty much drew up our own agreement on who got what and how much child support I would have to pay. I'm proud to say I never missed a payment.

There are many fathers who do not pay child support. Some of them will get away with it, some of them will go to jail. There just aren't enough resources to track them all down.

Don't Let A Suitcase Full Of Cheese Be Your Big Fork And Spoon. - Marie Barone

DVC vacations:
VWL - June 2004, OKW - October 2004, SSR - NYE 2004, OKW - June 2005, BCV - October 2005, OKW - NYE 2005, SSR - March 2006, VB - June 2006, BWV - October 2006, OKW - May 2007, OKW - July 2007
DukeStreetKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 05:55 PM   #7
chrissyk
It will be great to have a built-in DIS neighbor
I'm still trying to convert grandma to being a Grobanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongo69
Chrissy who knows, he's slicker than satan! To top it off his uncle is Lake County's old Prosecutor Bernard Carter
I'm pretty sure that tax evasion is a federal crime, so no issues there
chrissyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 06:01 PM   #8
sk8belle
DIS Veteran

Is there any way you or your SIL can get in touch with the church he's working for to let them know what kind of a man (and I use that term loosely here) they have representing them? Or are they aware and just choose to turn a blind eye?
sk8belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 06:10 PM   #9
Pete's Mom
I have no other name!
I sometimes feel like I am a big walking napkin
Everytime it flashes it makes a high pitched squealing sound. :) Oh wait, that's me!

Georgia is VERY strict on child support payments. I believe if you fall 3 months behind they will pull your drivers license.

If I were her, I would hire an attorney and take him to court. She can also ask that he pay for all court costs and her attorney as well. My ex tried to get full custody of Pete because he wanted to avoid paying child support. He ended up with a stern warning for filing a frivilous case and had to pay my attorney fees of $ 3,000.00.

Also, I would make it a point to have him served at "work".

Good luck!

11/28 - 12/02/2001 at ASMo
2/12 - 02/17/2002 ASMo
12/04 - 12/08/2002 ASMo
02/18 - 02/24/2005 ASMu
05/24 - 05/31/2014 - ASMo
Pete's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 08:58 PM   #10
Pongo69

Everyone thanks so much for your replies. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:00 AM   #11
LuvN~Travel
A DMV employee noticed that I lost weight
part of the wear whatever is clean crowd!

I agree with the last post. AFter all, if he is preaching you KNOW where he is going to be at least one day of the week!
But, I can't imagine that his church would actually appreciate having someone preaching there and not fulfilling his obligations. I would definitely drop them a line or two....
Kim
Old 12-17-2004, 07:47 AM   #12
my3kids
Helpful Cruise Board regular!
My hands were full of chips, salsa and M & M's

What denomination is he employed by? I would call the office of the regional board for that church and explain the local church is paying in cash to assist in avoiding income taxes and child support. That will take care of the being paid in cash part. What is the board thinking????
my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 08:10 AM   #13
Miss Jasmine
Time for something new!
I didn't realize that luvflorida has funny buns!

They will pull your dirviers license or any professional license you hold in Florida if you are in arrears on your child support payments.

Check out this website, it may have more answers for you: http://www.myflorida.com/dor/childsupport/
Miss Jasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 08:30 AM   #14
rubyslipperlover
Mouseketeer
what you find out can be very interesting

another thought.

did he move to florida to avoid paying child support? in other words, he crossed state lines to avoid the obligation.

that's a federal crime.

a former neighbor of mine, his ex wife moved to florida to avoid paying support. she did FEDERAL jail time.

call the US Attorney's office if the state prosecutors aren't being helpful.
rubyslipperlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 08:42 AM   #15
Shugardrawers
Ovarian Cancer Survivor!
I need to bust a royal wee!
Having a torrid affair with the
I like my pickles whole

These kind of parents make me sick! Just because you are no longer married to your children's mother doesn't mean you are no longer obligated to your children. My DH is required to pay 15% of his gross income every week and we always pay more than that unless we are flat broke in which case it's 15% even. We have paid insurance for her since the day she was born and are required to do so until she turns 21. She turns 18 in August and technically support payments are no longer due after that but since she'll be in college we'll continue to pay that to cover her tuition and books, if she's not living with her mother we'll pay it to her directly. It's just the right thing to do. We also cough up whatever extra is needed for prom dresses, band uniforms etc. By contrast, my father paid very little if anything in child support. We often had nothing to eat in the house. DSis's ex pays $117 a MONTH in child support and feels that is more than enough even though his partner makes well over $100K a year. Although he has lived with his partner for at least 10 years (he's gay) only his income is considered because they aren't married. My income of course is considered household income and 15% of that goes to child support by law. I have no advice for you but just know there are parents out there who take this seriously and support whatever measures need to be taken to get him to meet his responsibilities.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: