Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2004, 11:00 AM   #1
Papa Deuce
BBQ loving, fantasy football playin,' DJ.

probably nobody will post, but what is the nicest thing you ever did?

In this vein.... what was the nicest thing you ever did for somebody?

I can't think of anything I ever did that was especially nice, except that after 9/11 our town had a food drive for the families involved. I took it upon myself to collect food in my neighborhood for this food drive. I gathered a full Ford Explorer's worth of stuff to donate.,

I do lots of small things but that was the one major thing I ever did to help mankind. :D

Well, that and get a vasectomy! I kid, I kid!

Papa Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 11:02 AM   #2
pw2pp
DIS Veteran

Did you change your thread title?
I thought it said "what is the WORST thing you ever did"?
Please tell me I'm not going crazy.
pw2pp is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-09-2004, 11:03 AM   #3
monkeyboy
Strangely fascinated by zombies...

lots but not my nature to brag
Old 12-09-2004, 11:09 AM   #4
Rowena
Registered

Nicest thing I've done when I was a child was rescue three small kittens that were in a bush surrounded by rushing water after a recent rain. I have no idea how they got there, but I heard the terrified meowing and walked through the hip deep (to my child sized body, anyway)water to get them. Brought them home, fed them and got scolded by my parents, but I couldn't just leave them there! Even found homes for them after that.
As an adult, I try to set examples for my kids by donating out grown clothes to a warehouse of clothes explicitly for foster children, raise funds and walk for autism research. I'd like to think these are nice things to do and in some small way do help.
Rowena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 11:10 AM   #5
Microcell
No, no,no, those red signs with the word STOP on them are optional if they have a white border.
I hope you like Debbie Gibson? I did not and got busted at a DECA National Convention for skipping her concert!

Uh, well....

I took over leadership of my DD's brownie troop, does that count? Ten little girls gone crazy for an hour every two weeks seems like I should be given a gold star or something!
Microcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 11:18 AM   #6
Shugardrawers
Ovarian Cancer Survivor!
I need to bust a royal wee!
Having a torrid affair with the
I like my pickles whole

I firmly believe that what goes around comes around so I try to do exceptionally nice things whenever possible. The only thing I ever ask in return is that the recipient do the same for someone else when they are in a position to do so. Probably the biggest though was a few years ago when I took a young family friend shopping to buy her things for her new apartment. She was 18 and on her own for the first time with absolutely NOTHING. No dish drainer, 1 ratty blanket, didn't even have the money for "feminine needs". Having been in that situation myself and knowing people who could have helped but didn't I couldn't let it go. I took her shopping and spent $400 that day then we went to dinner my treat.

Recently, I kept my DSis's 2 cats and dog for a week to save them the approx $200 it would have cost them for a kennel while they were moving. I could have been thrown out of my apartment for that! I also volunteered to donate some things for a fellow Diser's DD who is getting married.

I'm really not bragging, I just hope other people will be inspired to do nice things for others. It doesn't have to cost a dime.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:27 AM   #7
lovemygoofy
Man I shot myself in the foot
I got new moves and everything ready for some serious tips
No, in case you ever wondered, golf carts can't float
Loved by many!

Well I don't know if it's the nicest or worst or stupidest thing I have done or it could be all of that. When my dh deployed in Feb'02 and our FRG leader sort of fell apart, I stepped up and took over. I had NO idea about army things. I had been married all of 3 months when that happened. I learned quickly about army lingo and chains of command and how to really get things to happen when needed. I learned to teach finance classes, juggle 50 hysterical women, plan parties on a dime without a notice, take attitude without decking or being ugly to someone, and I learned it was all worth it everytime a soldier came up to thank me for helping them out when no one else could or would. Yeah, I'm going to do it again...

Love doesn't make the world go around, it makes the ride worthwhile...
lovemygoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 12:31 PM   #8
Jockaroo
Can the Tag Fairy see a photo of your Scottish Terriers?
I still like corn in my apple crisp!

The thing I did that makes me feel the best is adopting Tipper. I opened my home to a beloved pet of a woman who passed away. To me, this is worthwhile. And I feel good for doing it.
Jockaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 12:36 PM   #9
ckay87
demented and sad...but social
This morning I had "you can't overlook your underwear" stuck in my head
Scared by a clapper in her teens

I donate most of my income to 2 growing boys.

I cook daily for a full-grown man.

Aint I nice???
ckay87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 12:41 PM   #10
phillybeth

My left side is shorter than my right side
I agree with
My fingerprints are on file...

I'm a forensic scientist and I feel like I make a difference every day, helping to solve horrible crimes and either convicting a guilty person or freeing an innocent one. I've had victim's families thank me outside courtrooms. There is nothing so humbling as being thanked by parents for helping to convict their 11 YO daughter's rapist/murderer. I'v even been thanked by a few suspects as well.
I'm also a volunteer for a national breed rescue group. Saving dogs and placing them with loving families gives me the warm fuzzies.
July 76- Offsite, July 78- Poly, July 80- Poly, August 83- Poly July 92- Offsite, January 95- WL February 96- Offsite, May 98-BWV, August 98- ASMu, March 01- CR, December 02- ASMu, November 03- CSR, January 05- POFQ , September 05- AKL, April 06- POP
phillybeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 12:44 PM   #11
Octoberbeauty
Always in our hearts and in our prayers
Out of the ashes... special memories to cherish forever

I stopped and gave $20 to a homeless man the other day even though I couldn't really afford to.

Octoberbeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 12:44 PM   #12
onecoolmama
Has been known to brainwash her children! ;)
She thinks the Tag Fairies are girls. That is "interesting fiction."

Ok see, I am not that nice. But if you had a stupidest thing you ever did thread..i have a few of those.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:46 PM   #13
zakatak
Cinderella looked at me like I had two heads.
#1 Boma Fan!
Never touches strange babies

Not the nicest, but the first I thought of: I had just finished grocery shopping last year around Christmas and had struck up a nice conversation with the lady behind me. After I checked out, I stepped out of the lane and over to an area where I was talking to another person. Suddenly it dawned on me that the lady behind me was picking and choosing her groceries at the end, "Here, take this, put this back, how much? OK, this and take this off. How much?" She had some food stamps and a little cash. After she totalled her order and cashed out, I stepped back in front of her and told the cashier to total up everything she took out and paid for it. The lady was very apologetic but very nice. I just said, "No problem, Have a Merry Christmas!". She gave me the strongest hug ever! :D

BTW, the extra groceries totalled about $21. They included some cereal, Christmas candies, fruit, veggies and juice. That felt really, really good.
zakatak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 12:56 PM   #14
minniepumpernickel
DIS Veteran
I watch the kelp forests in The Monteray aquarium.
Is my work ever done here? Don't I even get a break on enlightening the masses

phillybeth,
You have the most interesting job. I would love to be able to do that.

The most rewarding job I've ever had was lifeguarding. It's great to know that you have the ability to be able to rescue someone. I love the water, and I think it's something I feel really confidant about. It's good to be able to use your natural gifts.

i refuse to do the "worst thing" thread!!
minniepumpernickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 12:57 PM   #15
Kermit
New Mama to Baby Jacob!
May not be creative, but is one heck of a nice lady!!Congrats on Number 2!

I don't know how to judge "niceness." I know that it felt better to give $200 the other day to one of DH's co-workers who is taking a few weeks off after the birth of a baby and can't pay bills than it has felt to give several times that amount to a charity. I also volunteer with a breastfeeding support organization (which prohibits me from naming the group in this forum, but it's the only one that I know of), and I love it when a new mom who was struggling with breastfeeding tells me that my advice helped and that everythign is going smoothly. It doesn't take any money, just a few minutes to talk to her, but the payoff is wonderful when you see the mom nursing confidently without any worries a few weeks later.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: