Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2004, 08:23 PM   #31
disneysteve
You have to enjoy life, not go around worrying about what other people think

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdecker
Steve, I don't mean to sound like I am arguing about you, but this is a perfect example I think of how you can paint numbers to sound any way we like.
Absolutely, you can manipulate the numbers lots of ways. Sorry if I wasn't clear in the example I gave. Here it is again with more detail.

Current 5-day Park Hopper, gate price: $265.19 (never expires)

MYW 5-day with Hopper option, gate price: $242.83 (expires)

These prices come from mousesavers.com.

So if you are going for a week and need 5-days admission and don't plan to go back anytime soon, which describes lots of WDW guests, the new tickets will actually save you money.

The only point I was trying to make is that the new tickets don't represent an across the board price hike. For many guests, the new tickets will be about the same price or even cheaper than the current options. As I said, for my family, we will save $558 over our next 2 trips and there are only 3 of us. For a larger family, the savings can be even more than that.
Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Me, DW, DD and MIL with cast of Festival of the Lion King, 11/10/06
disneysteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 03:49 AM   #32
luvmygirls
Mouseketeer

Can someone help, I'm a little confused?? Reading about the "new tickets". Back in August, we purchased 4 day PH's from the Disney site. (I think like 215.00/adult & 185.00/child) These are for our trip next October, are we going to be able to use these still, or do we have to upgrade to park-hop? We plan on spending only 1/2 day at AK, then moving on to Epcot for the remainder of that day. Donig MK 1 day, MGM 1 day, and leaving the last day for wherever we want to return. ANY help would be appreciated, thank you!
Shelly
luvmygirls is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-09-2004, 07:37 AM   #33
disneysteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmygirls
Can someone help, I'm a little confused?? Reading about the "new tickets". Back in August, we purchased 4 day PH's from the Disney site. (I think like 215.00/adult & 185.00/child) These are for our trip next October, are we going to be able to use these still, or do we have to upgrade to park-hop?
You can still use them. Your tickets don't expire even though they won't be selling that type of ticket anymore. We have 1 day left on our PH from last trip. We'll use that next year in November and buy 10-day MYW passes for the rest of that trip and the following trip.

Old 12-09-2004, 04:30 PM   #34
yecats
DIS Veteran

Initially when I read about the changes in tickets, I thought to myself, yep I'm getting screwed over again. However when I saw the 10 day ticket available for slightly over what I would've paid for a 7 day PHP I began to think a little differently. They have given you options but I want more options than given. Looking back at my last couple of trips, I've had days where 1/2 were done park hopping and half were done one park one day with a blend of these throughout a week's trip. I would love to be able to buy the 10 day MYW ticket, pay the no expiration fee but only have half the days as park hoppers with slightly adjusted price. I'm one of those people who hates to know that I've paid for something and not using it which is why I'll probably never purchase plus features ever again (I've only got about 24 plusses racked up on old tickets at this point). Theres good and bad about these tickets but for many I think that they'll work fine.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:22 PM   #35
luvmygirls
Mouseketeer

Thanks DisneySteve! You have put my mind at ease, I appreciate the fast reply!
luvmygirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 02:03 PM   #36
LIFERBABE
DVC MEMBER @ BCV BWV OKW SSR BLT AKV

Quote:
I would love to be able to buy the 10 day MYW ticket, pay the no expiration fee but only have half the days as park hoppers with slightly adjusted price.
I was just thinking how this could be accomplished too! Our MK days we stay all day, or return for Spectro or Fireworks so no hopping on MK days. I would hop on AK day or Epcot days.

We do use Plus Options, but no more than 2 each trip.

So I came up with my 5 year plan, purchasing 7+4 day PHP's from HSC and 10 day MYW tickets with no expiration for each of us. We're DVC, so I broke that down over the course of 4 vacations. We could use 1-2 hoppers per trip and 2-3 MYW days and 1 plus. My boys love DQ (they could go every night), so the DQ AP's would be separate ($68). It is a big financial outlay to purchase this combo, but I can break it down qtrly and purchase as I save up the money although the PHP's I would get now, before they run out. Our avg. cost per trip would be $579 for the 4 of us, and Im locking in the boys child ages by purchasing now.

I know this will not work for everyone, but that is all we have to work with and I won't have to worry about trying to squeeze 2 trips out of an AP (although I may purchase one for myself using the DVC discount and the combo for Dh and the boys) or not being able to hop or visit a WP. We like to do other things and get alot of relaxation in too, so I could see us not having to purchase additional WDW tickets for 4-5 years.

"Mama I want go see Mittey Mouse"
MAY 1998 Apopka/JUNE 2002 Highland Rsrv./JUNE 2003 Wind. PalmsMAY 2004 SSR DVC Member Homecoming/JUNE 2004 SOG & BCV 2B2Q/OCT 2004 BWV 1B & SSR H-Jeanne/ DEC 2004 VWL & SSR/MAY to JUNE 2005 MONTH VISIT TO BCV AND SSR/SEPT 05 DVC MEMBER CRUISE DCL Wonder/DEC 05 BCV & SSR/MAY-June 2006 SSR/Sept 2006 7 Day DCL Double Castaway Cay/Oct 2006 DVC Member Cruise 2006/Dec 2006-Jan 2007 Christmas @ BCV & NYE @ SSR/March 2007 Girls trip to BWV & SSR/June 2007 Family Reunion @ SSR/July 2007 First Trip to AKV Sav.View!/Oct 2007 BCV F&WF/Dec-Jan 2008 AKV Concierge and SSR/JUNE 08 BCV/SSR/AUG-SEP 08TOAL EB REPO/OCT 08 F&WF BCV concierge/DEC 08 SSR/AKV/HHI/JUNE 09 DCL/DEC 09 THV/.........
LIFERBABE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 08:34 AM   #37
MrsPete
DIS Veteran

I think there are two important points for money-saving folks here:

Plan ahead and think realistically about what matters to YOU. Will your family "hop"? Do you care whether the tickets will expire? Will you use the plus features? Can you afford to pay for two trips' worth of tickets now? Regardless of what the rest of us need, be sure you are buying only what works for your family.

Once you've made your decision, do the math for yourself. Disney's ticket prices are designed to maximize their profits. You should take a few minutes to make sure you're maximizing your savings.
MrsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 10:33 AM   #38
LovePug
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPete
I think there are two important points for money-saving folks here:

Plan ahead and think realistically about what matters to YOU. Will your family "hop"? Do you care whether the tickets will expire? Will you use the plus features? Can you afford to pay for two trips' worth of tickets now? Regardless of what the rest of us need, be sure you are buying only what works for your family.

Once you've made your decision, do the math for yourself. Disney's ticket prices are designed to maximize their profits. You should take a few minutes to make sure you're maximizing your savings.
Perfectly said .
01/08-House rental-1st trip with my son! 11/08-Universal @ The Hard Rock Hotel. ETA: Doing MVMCP while we're there! ETA again: AND we're doing Epcot!
1/10-offsite Me-Roni-Kevin-(almost 3)Cassie-
Moved to Florida: September 2011
LovePug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 01:14 PM   #39
JimC
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdecker
...So if you have tickets like we do and want to "upgrade", it will cost $7.43 to get one more plus feature. Not a bad deal until you try and add the no expiration option that is already included with the old PHP:

5 day MYW w/3+, hopper, and no expire - $320.54 (another $37.28!) So now it's an extra $38 to use any extra days. If you only have 1 day left, you are almost better off just losing it and buying tickets again the next time.
-f
Maybe I am misreading this. Why would you need/want to "upgrade" an old ticket? The old tickets are still valid for whatever use they were sold for.
WDW - All Star Movies (Fantasia), Animal Kingdom Lodge (3), Animal Kingdom Villas (Jambo House-2, Kidani Village-5), Bay Lake Towers (7), Beach Club, Beach Club Villas (8), Boardwalk Villas, Contemporary (2), Caribbean Beach (Aruba-2, Jamaica-2), Coronado Springs (Casitas-3), Dixie Landings (Bayou), Disney Institute (Villas-3), Grand Floridian (Sago Cay), Old Key West (5), Polynesian (Figi), Port Orleans, Saratoga Springs (Carousel, Congress Park, Grandstand-2, Paddock, Springs, Treehouse Villas), Villas at Grand Floridian, Villas at Wilderness Lodge (4), Wilderness Lodge, Yacht Club, Other (Cypress Harbour-6, Doubletree Castle, Renaissance WorldGate, Village [Royal Plaza, Pickett Suite])
DCL - Dream (2/11 4, 10/11 3, 2/12 4, 5/13 4, 5/14 4), Fantasy (11/13 Eastern), Magic (6/99 4, 5/05 Panama Canal, 9/08 5, 11/10 Eastern, 10/11 Western), Wonder (12/06 4, 9/09 4, 5/12 Alaska)
DL - Grand Californian (4), Villas Grand Californian (3), Marriott
Other DVC - Hilton Head, Vero Beach (6)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 05:33 PM   #40
LoveToDisney
Always needing another Disney trip!

I read somewhere that the new tickets will require biometrics so they couldn't be shared the way we have used the leftover PHP tickets for guests. Once the 10-day ticket was used for a particular person, only that person could use it again.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:59 PM   #41
disneysteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToDisney
I read somewhere that the new tickets will require biometrics so they couldn't be shared the way we have used the leftover PHP tickets for guests. Once the 10-day ticket was used for a particular person, only that person could use it again.
That wouldn't surprise me. That would eliminate the resale market problem Disney has had all these years. It will people from buying a 10-day, using it for 5 and giving/selling the remaining 5 to someone else (which would be a great deal for both parties).

Old 12-12-2004, 07:33 PM   #42
JimC
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToDisney
They already use biometrics for annual passholders. Extending it to all pass holders would not be too difficult. Eventually I forsee them doing away with ticket media altogether and relying solely on biometrics.
WDW - All Star Movies (Fantasia), Animal Kingdom Lodge (3), Animal Kingdom Villas (Jambo House-2, Kidani Village-5), Bay Lake Towers (7), Beach Club, Beach Club Villas (8), Boardwalk Villas, Contemporary (2), Caribbean Beach (Aruba-2, Jamaica-2), Coronado Springs (Casitas-3), Dixie Landings (Bayou), Disney Institute (Villas-3), Grand Floridian (Sago Cay), Old Key West (5), Polynesian (Figi), Port Orleans, Saratoga Springs (Carousel, Congress Park, Grandstand-2, Paddock, Springs, Treehouse Villas), Villas at Grand Floridian, Villas at Wilderness Lodge (4), Wilderness Lodge, Yacht Club, Other (Cypress Harbour-6, Doubletree Castle, Renaissance WorldGate, Village [Royal Plaza, Pickett Suite])
DCL - Dream (2/11 4, 10/11 3, 2/12 4, 5/13 4, 5/14 4), Fantasy (11/13 Eastern), Magic (6/99 4, 5/05 Panama Canal, 9/08 5, 11/10 Eastern, 10/11 Western), Wonder (12/06 4, 9/09 4, 5/12 Alaska)
DL - Grand Californian (4), Villas Grand Californian (3), Marriott
Other DVC - Hilton Head, Vero Beach (6)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 11:45 AM   #43
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Lots of great posts

There have been lots of great posts on here but I just wanted to add my story to the pot.

My sister & family (of 5) and my family (of four) & a couple are all going to Disney Dec 2005. When we first read of the MYW tickets we were disturbed as we were going to buy 4 day hoppers with no pluses at AAA and the new prices hiked the prices by about $20.00 a piece. After further consideration, however, we're OK with it and this is why:

We are renting a house for seven days (at $233.00 per family) and will be driving into the parks each day.

We have different styles.

My sister will get 5 or 6 day bought in advance hopper passes (that do expire) and they will go for a few hours every day. The prices only increase by $1.00 per additional day. So it will give her family total freedom and they will spend almost nothing on food in the parks because with 6 days of tickets, as soon as someone is cranky (their kids will be 2-8) they will come home, eat, nap, and swim.

We will buy 10 day no expiration, hopper, with pluses tickets. We plan to go many a time in the next few years, probably a day or two at a time. We also think we'll let their 8 year old come with us to DisneyQuest and a water park and leave our 4 year old at the house with my sister. We'll probably only use 3 of our days on actual big parks and we'll stay all day and eat there as I have a Disney Visa and should have about $200.00 in Disney dollars by then.

So for us, it has given us a lot of freedom to choose what is best, instead of simply what is available. We are both feeling that our trips will be more at our whim and leisurely. And actually, in the long run, we'll both save money. Plus we get to vacation together without being in each other's faces.

The couple is still deciding. This will be their very first trip to Disney World EVER! So it will take them quite awhile to read enough to know which way to go.

Just my two cents.

Esther
estherhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: