DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2004, 11:59 PM   #1
Duchie
"Answers are the easy part, questions raise the doubt." - J. Buffett

Had "The Talk" Today.....

... with both DS and DD teachers, telling them we'd be taking the kids out of school for our upcoming trip. Know what they both said?

"That's great! Have fun! Won't be a problem at all."

I was so relieved! Both teachers said that while they do believe school is important, they realize that family time is just as critical, and loved that the kids would be with their grandparents and a great-grandmother. DD's teacher even said that they may learn more from their great-grandmother than anyplace else (she's 92).

Time to start packing!!!!!
Duchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 12:31 AM   #2
Dean
DIS Veteran

Re: Had "The Talk" Today.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Duchie
... with both DS and DD teachers, telling them we'd be taking the kids out of school for our upcoming trip. Know what they both said?

"That's great! Have fun! Won't be a problem at all."

I was so relieved! Both teachers said that while they do believe school is important, they realize that family time is just as critical, and loved that the kids would be with their grandparents and a great-grandmother. DD's teacher even said that they may learn more from their great-grandmother than anyplace else (she's 92).

Time to start packing!!!!!
Up until high school, I felt what the kids learned on our trips where they missed school was far more helpful in the long run than being in school would have been. Trips like 2 weeks to HI with the museums, Pearl Harbor and the like. Williamsburg for the historical district. DC with the Smithsonian. And SF with all the crazies and history. Though one trip to Waikiki did force me to explain to my then 9 y/o son about hookers where he could state later when we went out "daddy there's a hooker and there's another hooker" and so on far louder than I would have wanted him to do so.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-13-2004, 06:08 AM   #3
jbwolffiv
DVC Member SSR 2004, BLT 2008, WDW Traveler since 1975

I teach 5th grade and feel the same way. Most children come back from a vacation and just pick up where we are and adjust very fast. More importantly, family together time is at a premium these days with many families having both parents working, a week of school is insignificant when it comes to family time!

2012 -Disney Fantasy 2011 -BLT, Disney Dream, BLT, BCV 2010 -Pop, BLT, SSR, Disney Wonder, OKW 2009 - Pop Century, Disney Wonder, BLT, Kidani Village, SSR 2008 - Pop Century, OKW, Disney Wonder, SSR , 2007 - VWL, SSR , 2006 - POFQ, Disney Wonder, BCV, SSR , 2005 - GF, SSR , 2004 - SSR - 2002 - ASMo - 2000 - ASMo 1999 - ASMo - 1997 - Off Site - 1995 - Off Site - 1988 - Off Site 1981 - Off Site - 1975 - Contemporary
jbwolffiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 07:43 AM   #4
rocketriter
"The towels were so thick there I could hardly close my suitcase." - Yogi Berra

We pulled DD 8 and DS 11 out of school for a week at BCV in October. We explained to the teachers that a family reunion was involved, asked for (and got) homework assignments, and nobody criticized us. I think that at that age WDW is still moderately educational, and I agree with Dean that trips to historic sites and natural wonders out-value a week of school until high school.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:47 AM   #5
SueOKW
Go Tribe!!!

Dean:
Quote:
Though one trip to Waikiki did force me to explain to my then 9 y/o son about hookers where he could state later when we went out "daddy there's a hooker and there's another hooker" and so on far louder than I would have wanted him to do so.
ha ha!!! they do that, don't they?

We are kid puller-outers too....

Sue
These are Your Verandah Rights: You have the right to sit on your verandah. You have the right to have a beverage served to you on your verandah. If you do not choose your beverage, one will be chosen for you.
SueOKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 07:56 AM   #6
WDWJWEB1
DVC - VWL and SSR

Good Morning Duchie

I was very surprised so far at the first 4 post that agreed with you taking the children out of school to go to "Disney". I'm sure you realize that this is another very hot topic on these boards, that being said let me say that myself and my DW have zero problems pulling our children out of school for vacations, maybe in a few years this may or may not be a problem? Time will tell but for now it's not even an issue! As a matter of fact we will be pulling them out for 7 days in Nov-Dec for our upcoming trip and then 1 more day in April-05

DS-9
DD-8

WDWJWEB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 08:10 AM   #7
3DisneyNUTS
can't think of anything witty!
Actually ate an entire turkey leg!

Well everyone already knows my life's too short theory. So have fun and it is awesome that your children's teachers share your views

Our trips together since 1996 Dixie Landings.... Carribean Beach....Coronado Springs....Son's first trip.....Pop Century TWICE!...Purchased DVC....Disney Cruise Wonder...Saratoga Springs...Hilton Head...Saratoga Springs February 2005!...Sept 2005 Disney Wonder with Boardwalk Villas
UNIVERSAL May 2006 Stayed @ SSR baby!
1st trip to Disneyland Sept 2006 Grand Californian ...Universal August 2007 stayed at OKW .......Stayed at AKV Jambo House May 2009 baby Jason's first trip!
3DisneyNUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 08:32 AM   #8
tinkgrl
Love Johnny Depp & Captain Jack Sparrow! Love being called Ms. Sparrow! Long Live Captain Jack Sparrow & Will Turner! "Why is the RUM gone?"

Hi,

I say have a good time with your family!!! Be sure to report back!

Allison

BCV Member since 7/03!

May 2007 1st Disney Magic Cruise
Ms. Captain Jack Sparrow
tinkgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 09:17 AM   #9
Duchie
"Answers are the easy part, questions raise the doubt." - J. Buffett

Thanks everyone! I know this is a hot topic and one I struggle with myself.

We've pulled the kids out before but it was never an issue. DS was so far ahead in 1st grade, and DD was just in Kindergarten. But this year, DD is doing WAAAAAY more than DS did in 1st grade (which is a vent for another thread.....) and I didn't want her to miss anything. It turns out the week we're going is the week the teacher is doing profile testing, so she will not be introducing anything new! And DS is still doing extremely well but has some areas he needs to work on. His teacher was great at brainstorming ideas of things he can do both before he goes and while he is there.

I was excited before about this trip, but now....
Duchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 09:31 AM   #10
laceemouse
DIS Veteran

Duchie, go and enjoy your trip. I think it is okay when the kids are so young, doing well in school, and the teachers are so understanding. As our kids got older, like Jr. High, things changed. The workload, and competition in our school district is unbelievable. That is why I am usually anti- take the kids out of school. Ours did miss one day in October, but next year DD13 will be in High School and we won't even do that. We also have 4 kids to do make up work with, that's a lot of work. Keeping up when we are here is no small task. I agree with you about the increase in work. I thought when my oldest started kindergarten they were expecting a lot, now with my 4th in first grade I can see the requirements going higher and higher every year. Of course, when many of her classmates are reading Harry Potter, she is considered "behind" for just being a "normal" first grader! But I agree, that could be a whole other thread....Lacee
laceemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 02:03 PM   #11
Doug7856
DIS Veteran

We haven't yet had to pull our son out of school -- he's only two; but, my wife is a teacher and we haven't figured how to pull her out of school . . . yet

Old 11-13-2004, 02:20 PM   #12
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug7856
We haven't yet had to pull our son out of school -- he's only two; but, my wife is a teacher and we haven't figured how to pull her out of school . . . yet

That might be a little more difficult. Maybe you could write her a note.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:23 PM   #13
loribell
Proud Redhead
Started watching them play when I was little
Wouldn't the sugars from the ice cream be better used early in the day instead of late in the evening?

I wish I could pull my kids out of school and go when the weather is nicer and the crowds are lighter. Unfortunately the one time I did that it was to short of a trip for us, even the kids said it was to short. For some reason I don't seem to be able to get myself to go for less than 2 weeks. I'm afraid that would be a bit to much missed work.

That said, when I did pull DS out for 5 days he was able to do almost all of his work before we even left for our trip.

Have a great time. Wish we were going to be there too!

Lori
Old 11-13-2004, 02:49 PM   #14
metus
Mouseketeer

I am a teacher, and I have several students out this week because they are at Disney. My response is this....School is so important, but family memories are irreplacable! I gave the children all of their missed work, however I told them their major assignment was to get an autograph of Winnie the Pooh for me! LOL

Children can pick up things they missed with help of parents. But I think family time is so precious.
metus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 03:54 PM   #15
Alexander
DIS Veteran

I agree with so much that has been said here!
"Life is too short" that is my philosophy on so many things.
We pull our kids out too, and I am a teacher.
I always have students leaving for vacation and the only work they have for me is to keep some type of a diary or journal to tell the class all about their trip. We even had our son do this for us last May, his teacher loved it.

To anyone pulling their kids....Have a great vacation! Don't look back, don't think twice, and don't sweat the small stuff, a couple of days out of school is the small stuff!
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: