Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2014, 05:53 PM   #736
jplee3
Mouseketeer

Oh yea, I have another crazy experience to share although it's a bit indirect and didn't actually happen on the ship (but the involved family did happen to be on the ship).

So it was day 2 of our WDW tour and we were staying at the Hilton @ Lake Buena Vista (so we got the extra magic hour). We were on the early 7:30am shuttle to take us to the parks when the chaos ensued....

The bus driver is slowly driving off when the bus comes to an abrupt stop and the driver opens the doors. I think I saw a brother and sister run off the bus and then get back on with the flustered parents following. First the mom storms on, points at the driver, and yells "COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE! COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE!!!" ohhhhhkay.... then the dad storms on and is like "DUDE, THEY'RE ONLY 10YRS OLD! WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM!?!?!" - apparently the kids got on the bus first and the driver drove away without the parents? I'm not entirely sure what happened but that leads to the next part...

So the lady who scolded the bus driver, proceeds to start flapping him mouth at an elderly woman who was sitting across the aisle and apparently staring or looking her direction: "EXCUSE ME, YOUNG LADY... WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT? DO YOU HAVE A PROBLEM? YOU BETTER STOP LOOKING THIS WAY, YOUNG LADY!"
Apparently, the elderly woman's daughter (also with her husband and son) became extremely defensive and upset at this treatment towards her mother and said to the lady "YOU NEED TO WATCH YOUR MOUTH." to which the lady replied "YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH WHAT I'M SAYING?"

Then it was sort of a blur... the daughter was like "YEA I HAVE A [choice word here] PROBLEM WITH WHAT YOU'RE SAYING" followed by more choice words between both parties. All this right before the daughter got up and started rushing towards the lady as if to tackle and beat her. Fortunately, both husbands stepped in to intervene as I think the daughter would have really done some damage (let's just say she was probably two times bigger than the petite woman with major attitude).

Then everybody calmed down and apprehensively enjoyed the ride to the happiest place on earth. My wife told me about how her coworker was saying she's seen countless mommy-meltdowns especially at Disney parks. Haha, this was no exception! I think it was just early and all parties were probably stressed trying to make it on time to magic hour, etc... but way to cause a scene! I felt so bad for the bus driver - those guys must get a lot of flak from jerk-parents, and I'm sure some of them must absolutely hate it. And it's not as though the driver could have said anything or talked back because a family's complaint will probably almost always outweigh a driver's defense. Poor guy...

I guess the kids were okay, because they were just calmly sitting there as if nothing happened. LOL! My wife was irritated because the loud-mouthed mom was just sitting there sweet-talking her kids right after, as if nothing happened 5 minutes earlier... I was thinking she might have been saying something along the lines of "Now kids, do you see what happens when you get mommy upset? She turns really mean...and we don't want that, do we? So eat your veggies from now on!" ... jk hahaha

Anyway, we ended up overhearing the offended family say something along the lines of "they must be from Canada..." while walking into the entrance after exiting the bus.
We also saw our favorite instigators several times after this. We spotted them out of a crowd a couple times in the parks and then, would ya believe it, we end up seeing them on the ship too! Totally unexpected and random! I think we saw them walking around on one of the decks as well as seated several tables away from us in Enchanted Garden. I think the husband might have recognized either of us from the bus and sort of looked away embarrassed for a second. He was a bigger guy too - looks as though he played hockey or football in HS - would've been scary if he actually retaliated on the shuttle that morning. Fortunately (or unfortunately?!) no further scenes were observed from this family during any of our other encounters...gosh, I feel like I'm reminiscing about this as if I was on 'Kilimanjaro Safaris' !!!

I'll be darned if I get a reply from a very angry woman in response to my post...!

Last edited by jplee3; 03-04-2014 at 05:59 PM.
jplee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:48 PM   #737
100AcreWood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplee3 View Post
Oh yea, I have another crazy experience to share although it's a bit indirect and didn't actually happen on the ship (but the involved family did happen to be on the ship).

So it was day 2 of our WDW tour and we were staying at the Hilton @ Lake Buena Vista (so we got the extra magic hour). We were on the early 7:30am shuttle to take us to the parks when the chaos ensued....

The bus driver is slowly driving off when the bus comes to an abrupt stop and the driver opens the doors. I think I saw a brother and sister run off the bus and then get back on with the flustered parents following. First the mom storms on, points at the driver, and yells "COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE! COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE!!!" ohhhhhkay.... then the dad storms on and is like "DUDE, THEY'RE ONLY 10YRS OLD! WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM!?!?!" - apparently the kids got on the bus first and the driver drove away without the parents? I'm not entirely sure what happened but that leads to the next part...

So the lady who scolded the bus driver, proceeds to start flapping him mouth at an elderly woman who was sitting across the aisle and apparently staring or looking her direction: "EXCUSE ME, YOUNG LADY... WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT? DO YOU HAVE A PROBLEM? YOU BETTER STOP LOOKING THIS WAY, YOUNG LADY!"
Apparently, the elderly woman's daughter (also with her husband and son) became extremely defensive and upset at this treatment towards her mother and said to the lady "YOU NEED TO WATCH YOUR MOUTH." to which the lady replied "YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH WHAT I'M SAYING?"

Then it was sort of a blur... the daughter was like "YEA I HAVE A [choice word here] PROBLEM WITH WHAT YOU'RE SAYING" followed by more choice words between both parties. All this right before the daughter got up and started rushing towards the lady as if to tackle and beat her. Fortunately, both husbands stepped in to intervene as I think the daughter would have really done some damage (let's just say she was probably two times bigger than the petite woman with major attitude).

Then everybody calmed down and apprehensively enjoyed the ride to the happiest place on earth. My wife told me about how her coworker was saying she's seen countless mommy-meltdowns especially at Disney parks. Haha, this was no exception! I think it was just early and all parties were probably stressed trying to make it on time to magic hour, etc... but way to cause a scene! I felt so bad for the bus driver - those guys must get a lot of flak from jerk-parents, and I'm sure some of them must absolutely hate it. And it's not as though the driver could have said anything or talked back because a family's complaint will probably almost always outweigh a driver's defense. Poor guy...

I guess the kids were okay, because they were just calmly sitting there as if nothing happened. LOL! My wife was irritated because the loud-mouthed mom was just sitting there sweet-talking her kids right after, as if nothing happened 5 minutes earlier... I was thinking she might have been saying something along the lines of "Now kids, do you see what happens when you get mommy upset? She turns really mean...and we don't want that, do we? So eat your veggies from now on!" ... jk hahaha

Anyway, we ended up overhearing the offended family say something along the lines of "they must be from Canada..." while walking into the entrance after exiting the bus.
We also saw our favorite instigators several times after this. We spotted them out of a crowd a couple times in the parks and then, would ya believe it, we end up seeing them on the ship too! Totally unexpected and random! I think we saw them walking around on one of the decks as well as seated several tables away from us in Enchanted Garden. I think the husband might have recognized either of us from the bus and sort of looked away embarrassed for a second. He was a bigger guy too - looks as though he played hockey or football in HS - would've been scary if he actually retaliated on the shuttle that morning. Fortunately (or unfortunately?!) no further scenes were observed from this family during any of our other encounters...gosh, I feel like I'm reminiscing about this as if I was on 'Kilimanjaro Safaris' !!!

I'll be darned if I get a reply from a very angry woman in response to my post...!
That's pretty scary when tempers flare. Some people on my dh's side (especially my father in law) have really bad tempers. I found out when my oldest dd was diagnosed with high anxiety (she has a temper too) that most people with bad tempers are suffering from anxiety and it shows up in the form of a bad temper. Her psychologist explained they actually feel a sense of relief by making other people unhappy. Then, feel a lot of regret later.
2012 Windsor Hills 2011 Buena Vista Suites
2010 Doubletree DTD, then CSR
2008 Doubletree DTD 2006 Doubletree DTD
2005 Port Orleans Riverside
2005 Doubletree DTD 2005 Swan 2001 Dolphin
2000 All Star Movies 1999 Carribean Beach
100AcreWood is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-04-2014, 08:00 PM   #738
jplee3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100AcreWood View Post
That's pretty scary when tempers flare. Some people on my dh's side (especially my father in law) have really bad tempers. I found out when my oldest dd was diagnosed with high anxiety (she has a temper too) that most people with bad tempers are suffering from anxiety and it shows up in the form of a bad temper. Her psychologist explained they actually feel a sense of relief by making other people unhappy. Then, feel a lot of regret later.

No kidding... what was scary was that both the husband and the wife seemed to have pretty bad tempers. But the wife just couldn't resist the extra jawing to push things over the edge. Oh and the daughter seemed to have a bit of a temper too, else I'm sure she wouldn't have reacted violently. It was just a big blow-up...
jplee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:20 AM   #739
CaliforniaMama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
If you are seated with tablemates that you just don't mesh, you can request to be moved. Just as your head server. It may be necessary to switch dinner seatings, or they may be able to move to a different table on the same seating.

I'd suggest a talk with your son about the variations of clothing worn world-wide and how it's impolite to comment on how someone is dressed (except in the privacy of your stateroom).
I guess I better I was just imagining his reaction to seeing that type of bathing suit somewhere. He would be pretty shocked. Good advice!
CaliforniaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:22 AM   #740
jmedrew
Earning My Ears

We cruised on a Med cruise this past Sept. We are Americans stationed in Germany. One thing I cannot get over is how some Europeans do not use lines or they have no sense of personal space. Doesnt matter if you are at Mcds or in line for a cruise...they either stand behind you breathing down your neck or just ignore the line.

So we are in line to get on our excursion bus. There is a group of people...2 woman and 2 kids....I beleive they were Spanish. They walk up to the line, just pass all of us and push people out of the way and board the bus. Everyone around us was like (the english and americans) Did they just do that?? And they did it again and again during excursion and other ones we had the joy of sharing with them. It kinda became a joke...we just started parting the seas so they didnt have to push. It was so odd....it was like we werent even standing in a line at all.

I have a few more stories but I dont want to sound like I am bashing europeans. Just different cultures I guess.

First Disney World Trip-October 2008
First Disneyland Trip-September 2010
Disneyland Again-December 2010
Disneyland Again-April 2011
Disney World Girls Only Trip-February 2012
Disneyland Paris-Maybe before we leave Europe
Our Big One! Disney 7 Day Western Mediterranean-Trip of a lifetime!!August 2013

jmedrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:40 AM   #741
asemaria
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmedrew View Post
We cruised on a Med cruise this past Sept. We are Americans stationed in Germany. One thing I cannot get over is how some Europeans do not use lines or they have no sense of personal space. Doesnt matter if you are at Mcds or in line for a cruise...they either stand behind you breathing down your neck or just ignore the line. So we are in line to get on our excursion bus. There is a group of people...2 woman and 2 kids....I beleive they were Spanish. They walk up to the line, just pass all of us and push people out of the way and board the bus. Everyone around us was like (the english and americans) Did they just do that?? And they did it again and again during excursion and other ones we had the joy of sharing with them. It kinda became a joke...we just started parting the seas so they didnt have to push. It was so odd....it was like we werent even standing in a line at all. I have a few more stories but I dont want to sound like I am bashing europeans. Just different cultures I guess.
Well I am European....

And I totally agree! In the north of Europe we always stand in lines, and we never speak to someone that disregards lines. At the most we look angrily at the offender. It really is a cultural thing, even at a busstation or something like that we stand in line and wait for our turn. In the south of Europe lines are often considered something that is just for other people. That is actually my number one issue with Disneyland Paris. I hate it when people don't respect lines. Please don't think that all European countries do this!
WDW 2012 POFQ
DCL Fantasy Western Carribean april 2012
asemaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:49 AM   #742
johnlatv
Earning My Ears

i hope nothing happens on my cruise, but i am very much looking forward to the people watching.
johnlatv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:25 AM   #743
meggiebeth
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through...

Quote:
Originally Posted by asemaria View Post
Well I am European.... And I totally agree! In the north of Europe we always stand in lines, and we never speak to someone that disregards lines. At the most we look angrily at the offender. It really is a cultural thing, even at a busstation or something like that we stand in line and wait for our turn. In the south of Europe lines are often considered something that is just for other people. That is actually my number one issue with Disneyland Paris. I hate it when people don't respect lines. Please don't think that all European countries do this!
I am English and we certainly do nothing like this! We have been shocked, however, at the way people acted when we were on holiday in Italy. In general, people would push a lot more, be a lot louder and be a lot ruder. Someone barged past us in the supermarket queue and thought nothing of it. The beach could be a nightmare at times.

It must all be down to culture, because it didn't seem to be frowned upon at all. I'm very careful about saying things because several months ago I spoke on the DISboards about the cultural differences in Italy and an Italian American got upset (yet she didn't live in Italy, so I wasn't even talking about her!) In all honesty, Southern Europeans can be a lot pushier and more physical than us. The guy running a stall ended up shouting at us for not buying a piece of flapjack... It's very different!

Meg~ Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

$5 A Day Means Disney MY Way! An October TR
~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,
MNSSHP, Epcot Food & Wine Festival and MVMCP all in one trip!~

meggiebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:46 PM   #744
jmedrew
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Well I am European.... And I totally agree! In the north of Europe we always stand in lines, and we never speak to someone that disregards lines. At the most we look angrily at the offender. It really is a cultural thing, even at a busstation or something like that we stand in line and wait for our turn. In the south of Europe lines are often considered something that is just for other people. That is actually my number one issue with Disneyland Paris. I hate it when people don't respect lines. Please don't think that all European countries do this!
Oh yes, we have been to England and Ireland and have seen much friendlier people! We know not all Europeans do this. We were talking with a british gentlemen while in line for our Ryan Air flight. We couldnt get over the rudest of some just butting in line. Once we had to shift our line to the right and people went nuts, darted in front of me and literally split our family in half. Then acted like they didnt even notice. I never got why the whole line didnt just shift over like we were.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:49 PM   #745
jmedrew
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by meggiebeth View Post
I am English and we certainly do nothing like this! We have been shocked, however, at the way people acted when we were on holiday in Italy. In general, people would push a lot more, be a lot louder and be a lot ruder. Someone barged past us in the supermarket queue and thought nothing of it. The beach could be a nightmare at times. It must all be down to culture, because it didn't seem to be frowned upon at all. I'm very careful about saying things because several months ago I spoke on the DISboards about the cultural differences in Italy and an Italian American got upset (yet she didn't live in Italy, so I wasn't even talking about her!) In all honesty, Southern Europeans can be a lot pushier and more physical than us. The guy running a stall ended up shouting at us for not buying a piece of flapjack... It's very different! Meg~ Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Yes, I agree English do not do this...and your right its southern europeans. I cant beleive a woman would get mad and she didnt even live in Italy!! She has no clue! I am also Italian (and German) and I will say, they just have no concept of lines..( or queue as you say!?) Love that word I even have started to say I holiday instead of vacation.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:47 PM   #746
MinnesotaMouseketeers
DIS Veteran

No, and it's all my wife's fault!!!

On our very first (1999) Disney cruise on the Wonder, well after we disembarked at Nassau, Bahama. My wife told me about the couple standing on their verandah completely naked. I asked why she didn't say anything while we were walking up the pier she said, 'I wasn't going to say anything and point out where they were standing'.
Disneyland 1975, Off site/Big Red Boat 1987, Port Orleans/Wonder 1999, Off site 2000, Poly/Wonder 2004, CBR/Eastern Magic 2007, WL 2009, GF/Wonder Panama Canal 2011, POR 2012, AKL/Dream 2013, All Star Music/Fantasy Eastern 2014, Numerous ports of call to other countries
More fun stops: CA-LA, San Diego, San Fran. & wine country, NM-twice (all over), AZ-twice including Grand Canyon, CO-all over, SD-Black Hills & Badlands, MI-UP, Isle Royale & Mount Pleasent, TX-S. Padre Island twice and San Antonio, WI-All over including Apostale Islands, IA-Quad City area, WY-Devils Tower, AK-Kantishna Roadhouse at Denali NP, Anchorage, Seward, MT-Glacier NP, Ireland 2012, BWCA six trips - 2013 last one
MinnesotaMouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:04 PM   #747
shoes99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well I am European....

And I totally agree! In the north of Europe we always stand in lines, and we never speak to someone that disregards lines. At the most we look angrily at the offender. It really is a cultural thing, even at a busstation or something like that we stand in line and wait for our turn. In the south of Europe lines are often considered something that is just for other people. That is actually my number one issue with Disneyland Paris. I hate it when people don't respect lines. Please don't think that all European countries do this!
We flew from Newark, NJ to CDG heading to Disneyland Paris.
The no line concept started at the airport. As soon as boarding was announced, 100 people got up and were pushing and breathing down necks. We were shocked and the women in front of me says "we don't stand in lines in France".
OK, then it became apparant in Disneyland Paris.
At Pirates of the Caribbean the line is dark, inside, and in order for the people in back of me to stop breathing down my neck, I had to slid by backpack on to give me some space.
But, on the Baltics cruise, we were with our tour groups most of the time and did not notice this behavior.

shoes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:28 PM   #748
holula
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes99 View Post
We flew from Newark, NJ to CDG heading to Disneyland Paris. The no line concept started at the airport. As soon as boarding was announced, 100 people got up and were pushing and breathing down necks. We were shocked and the women in front of me says "we don't stand in lines in France". OK, then it became apparant in Disneyland Paris. At Pirates of the Caribbean the line is dark, inside, and in order for the people in back of me to stop breathing down my neck, I had to slid by backpack on to give me some space. But, on the Baltics cruise, we were with our tour groups most of the time and did not notice this behavior.
People not waiting for their turn at airports happens everywhere in the world. I am British but I live in America. I've been to 40+ countries and I don't think I've been to one country where people actually waited for their boarding row/number to be called. That is not just a European thing. Honestly I find it worse on domestic flights in the USA.. No one seems to be able to stay seated once they call First Class boarding. It drives me crazy.

My problem with DLP is mainly the staff. Never had an issue with people pushing in line. Actually I have never noticed this behavior in Europe either unless you are somewhere crowded to start with (subway, tourist attraction etc)
Eurodisney/Disneyland Paris: 1997, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2011; Disneyland Resort: 2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 (x2), 2011, 2012; Walt Disney World: 2011, 2012 (x2), 2013 (x4), 2014; Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
Disney Wonder: 2012 Alaska, 2013 Bahamas; Disney Dream: 2012 Bahamas (x2); Disney Fantasy: 2013 Eastern, 2014 Western; Disney Magic: 2014 Bahamas (Wedding!), 2014 Southern Caribbean
Hilton Head Island Resort: 2013

Upcoming
Walt Disney World: 2014
Disney Magic: 2015 EB Transatlantic Disney Wonder: 2014 Xmas Western
holula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:37 PM   #749
Disney Canadian
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplee3 View Post
They must have been because we all know that it is Canadians that are thought of in this regard around the world.
January 2013: Port Orleans - French Quarter
Sept/Oct 2013: AOA-Little Mermaid/Western Caribbean Cruise - Fantasy
February 2014: Pop Century/4 Night to the Bahamas on the Reimagined Magic!

November 2014: Caribbean Beach for DD's 5th Birthday
October 2015: Eastern Caribbean - Fantasy

Disney Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:10 PM   #750
scottb8888
Mouseketeer

Nothing much?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: