Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #616
lmhall2000
May the road rise to meet you....May God hold you in the palm of His Hand.

On our cruise last fall, we were participating in a 'name that 80s' tune when one of the participants just started taking her dress off...the emcee (great guy) did a double take and made a great comment (my middle aged brain can't recall) but it was his expression that had us rolling...she took off her dress, and I think turned it inside out and put it back on...it was bizarre.

A sad event was watching a furious father take out his frustrations on a poor sweet 5 year old whose pizza slice fell off her plate as she tried to carry it to their table...the amount of acid spewing from this man and the sheer hatred in his face towards this poor child had me in knots...I tried to make eye contact with her and give her a reassuring nod...if I honestly did not think my intrusion into their 'scene' would not have made him MORE abusive towards her, I would have stepped in....it was the first 30 minutes on the ship...you never know what people have gone through to get on board..but I wanted to take this father aside and knock some sense into him....

lmhall2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:19 AM   #617
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmhall2000 View Post
On our cruise last fall, we were participating in a 'name that 80s' tune when one of the participants just started taking her dress off...the emcee (great guy) did a double take and made a great comment (my middle aged brain can't recall) but it was his expression that had us rolling...she took off her dress, and I think turned it inside out and put it back on...it was bizarre.

A sad event was watching a furious father take out his frustrations on a poor sweet 5 year old whose pizza slice fell off her plate as she tried to carry it to their table...the amount of acid spewing from this man and the sheer hatred in his face towards this poor child had me in knots...I tried to make eye contact with her and give her a reassuring nod...if I honestly did not think my intrusion into their 'scene' would not have made him MORE abusive towards her, I would have stepped in....it was the first 30 minutes on the ship...you never know what people have gone through to get on board..but I wanted to take this father aside and knock some sense into him....
I am always shocked when I witness what I redeem as disproportionate response in a parent. However we aren't lucky enough to have been gifted children so maybe I look at it with rose tinted glasses! Maybe I didn't experience all that lead to the moment! Still shocking though when seen in isolation.
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Paula Sedley-Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #618
dansamy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Sedley-Burke

I am always shocked when I witness what I redeem as disproportionate response in a parent. However we aren't lucky enough to have been gifted children so maybe I look at it with rose tinted glasses! Maybe I didn't experience all that lead to the moment! Still shocking though when seen in isolation.
Parents are human too. Sometimes, they lose their cool. Of course, we don't have any idea if that exchange was an isolated incident or the usual for their relationship.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:01 AM   #619
Paula Sedley-Burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansamy View Post

Parents are human too. Sometimes, they lose their cool. Of course, we don't have any idea if that exchange was an isolated incident or the usual for their relationship.
Exactly that's why I really really try not to judge which is easy to do when you aren't a parent! Everybody has their moments. My parents did and they would just say 'sorry sweetheart daddy or mummy gets mad too sometimes' :-) it helped me understand the mystery of grown ups actually!
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Old 06-04-2013, 10:15 AM   #620
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmhall2000 View Post

I don't remember if I posted this in this thread or not, but the most shocking thing I have seen on the ships also involved a father and child. It was a little boy about 4 he was staying in the stateroom next to us with him Mom, Dad and baby sister.
One afternoon he was crying and whining like crazy for quite a while (overly tired maybe). We were out on the verandah so we heard it all very clearly The Dad continued to yell at him to be quiet, etc. Well he must have finally lost his cool because he decided to deal with it by locking the child out on the verandah.
We sat there and listened to that poor child banging on the door saying "please let me in." I refused to go inside because I was scared he might try to get off the verandah another way So I watched him from our verandah to make sure he was OK.
Dh was pacing back and forth in the room trying to decided if he should go knock on the cabin door or just call security to report it. He finally just looked around the divider and started talking to the little boy to calm him down. The Dad must have seen him because he opened the door and started trying to explain why the little guy was outside.
Later when we saw the whole family, the Mom apologized but the Dad wouldn't look us in the eye.
They appeared to be a very young family and I think the Dad just made a stupid mistake out of frustration. He (hopefully) won't be doing that again.

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:26 PM   #621
Lita
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskigrl View Post

I don't remember if I posted this in this thread or not, but the most shocking thing I have seen on the ships also involved a father and child. It was a little boy about 4 he was staying in the stateroom next to us with him Mom, Dad and baby sister.
One afternoon he was crying and whining like crazy for quite a while (overly tired maybe). We were out on the verandah so we heard it all very clearly The Dad continued to yell at him to be quiet, etc. Well he must have finally lost his cool because he decided to deal with it by locking the child out on the verandah.
We sat there and listened to that poor child banging on the door saying "please let me in." I refused to go inside because I was scared he might try to get off the verandah another way So I watched him from our verandah to make sure he was OK.
Dh was pacing back and forth in the room trying to decided if he should go knock on the cabin door or just call security to report it. He finally just looked around the divider and started talking to the little boy to calm him down. The Dad must have seen him because he opened the door and started trying to explain why the little guy was outside.
Later when we saw the whole family, the Mom apologized but the Dad wouldn't look us in the eye.
They appeared to be a very young family and I think the Dad just made a stupid mistake out of frustration. He (hopefully) won't be doing that again.
That's sad.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

DL - numerous times as I grew up in CA
WDW - CBR 97, Poly May 2013
DCL - Dream April 2014
DCL - Fantasy August Eastern Caribbean 2015

Me 40 DH 48, DD7, DD5
Lita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #622
princesscate
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Wow. Talk about dangerous! Glad the little boy stayed safe!
Old 06-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #623
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
How sad. Makes me tear up.

Someone post a funny one...quick.
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:09 AM   #624
Paula Sedley-Burke

Ok well this might cheer people up. I have severe diet restrictions as such I have ketchup as a sauce with most things. I have ketchup with my ketchup! I am 42 severely disabled and am use to going to high end eating places with friends and family seeing them order amazing plates of food whilst I have a plain piece of chicken or fish, plain potatoes and a bottle of ketchup ( which I end up paying a lot of money for ) anyway it's the social bit that counts right!

On the Disney cruise this didn't happen...oh no every night I wasn't just handed my bottle of red heinz fluid. Oh no I was given a 'mickey' of ketchup every night like they do for the kids! My potatoes were arranged all professionally in different configurations and my chicken or fish not only cooked beyond all perfection but displayed in lovely ways.

:-)

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Old 06-05-2013, 01:10 AM   #625
Paula Sedley-Burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Sedley-Burke View Post
Ok well this might cheer people up. I have severe diet restrictions as such I have ketchup as a sauce with most things. I have ketchup with my ketchup! I am 42 severely disabled and am use to going to high end eating places with friends and family seeing them order amazing plates of food whilst I have a plain piece of chicken or fish, plain potatoes and a bottle of ketchup ( which I end up paying a lot of money for ) anyway it's the social bit that counts right!

On the Disney cruise this didn't happen...oh no every night I wasn't just handed my bottle of red heinz fluid. Oh no I was given a 'mickey' of ketchup every night like they do for the kids! My potatoes were arranged all professionally in different configurations and my chicken or fish not only cooked beyond all perfection but displayed in lovely ways.

Would post a photo but it won't let me.

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Old 06-05-2013, 04:40 AM   #626
lildreamer101
Earning My Ears

Funny thing happened to me but not on a Disney Cruise but on another cruise line.
Recently, believe it or not.
Here's what happened, my family and I were eating dinner at the Lido buffet and some guy come up to one of the servers with a complaint and after the complainer talked to the manager the complainer left, the manager shut down the kitchen just because the display of food served didn't like exactly like the food giving to passengers. Or that the crew was given special food back in the kitchen. I never got to finish eating my dinner!

Another time was when a guy blew up at the front office clerk because of the hotel service charge and wine he consumed but didn't like and didn't think he should be charged for both.

And lastly, before getting off the ship we were given a disembarkation folder which contained luggage tags so we can find our luggage when getting off the ship as it had call number we needed to have to be let off the ship rather than wait in line, customs papers and survey on the service received. However, we didn't get a survey! I wasn't going to trash the cruise line I actually wanted to praise the housekeepers and other staff as they were awesome! I decided to call and ask for one and they said it would be delivered, it never came! Went to the desk myself and still never got it. Had to go another time and finally they gave me the surveys!
I guess what was shocking about it was the fact they were acting shady.

Last edited by lildreamer101; 10-22-2013 at 05:01 AM.
lildreamer101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:42 AM   #627
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

Quote:

Gotta get your Mickey

Chrissy
chris31997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:09 AM   #628
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Sedley-Burke

I hear ya. Ketchup makes me happy happy (31 yr old n kids) its kinda a running joke for me I guess. I am dairy sensitive and try to stay away from most grains on most days too but frankly as far as junk food goes, chicken tenders n ketch is heaven to me. If I could get more items with goat cheese sprinkles I also would be happy. (Did have it on salad in RP tho.)

What's better than ketch AND mickey?
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #629
Paula Sedley-Burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPrincessMermaids View Post

I hear ya. Ketchup makes me happy happy (31 yr old n kids) its kinda a running joke for me I guess. I am dairy sensitive and try to stay away from most grains on most days too but frankly as far as junk food goes, chicken tenders n ketch is heaven to me. If I could get more items with goat cheese sprinkles I also would be happy. (Did have it on salad in RP tho.)

What's better than ketch AND mickey?
Nothing! I saw this guy with a tee shirt on which said 'I have ketchup with my ketchup' I have so got to get one!

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Old 06-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #630
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Nothing! I saw this guy with a tee shirt on which said 'I have ketchup with my ketchup' I have so got to get one!
I saw that too! My friends said I should buy one.

Anyone else love ketchup on scrambled eggs??? it's a requirement for me...
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: