Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > In Memoriam
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2004, 06:24 PM   #16
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat

I never really knew Roy, but I am saddened to hear of his passing.

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa
Old 08-03-2004, 06:38 PM   #17
Mamu

DIS Veteran
A perennial favorite
My children call me "Mud Duck"

My deepest sympathy to Roy's Family. He was so much help when I was looking to staying at WL. The Dis has lost a good friend.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-03-2004, 06:49 PM   #18
Saffron
Palm Tree Hugger

Awww, that's so sad. I never knew Roy, but I can see how much he touched the lives of so many here. My sincerest sympathies to his family and friends. It sounds like he will be dearly missed.

Your tribute art to your friend Roy/FLORIDACAT is beautiful.
When you look into a child's face, and you're seeing the human race, and the endless possibilities there where so much can come true, and you think of the beautiful things a child can do, how long -- would the child survive, how long -- if it was up to you?
When you think about the money spent on defense by a government and the weapons of destruction we've built, we're so sure that we need, and you think of the millions and millions that money could feed, how long -- can you hear someone crying, how long -- can you hear someone dying before you ask yourself why?
... Jackson Browne

Old 08-03-2004, 06:53 PM   #19
nativetxn
Honorary Brit
Everyone loves nativetxn
1967---"Summer of Love" sigh
Rabid bat attack survivor

DISboards Moderator

So very sad. I'm very sad to hear this

Katholyn
Old 08-03-2004, 06:55 PM   #20
shopgirl72
Pixie Dust to those either at WDW, or on their way!
Beware tall M&M containers full of quarters!!
WL Vet

I will be thinking of Roy(Florida Cat), and his family! I will always think of his love of the Wilderness Lodge, and Humphrey!! Many of us would not of known how to pack if not for his weather reports. I live 7 miles form Eureka, we chatted about different restrauants he missed a few times!He will definitely be missed!!!

Shopgirl (Arly)

Old 08-03-2004, 06:56 PM   #21
Tinkbell
We called it, "Attack of the Speedos"!
Vrey inetrtesnig!

My sympathies go out to his family and to his friends on the Dis.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:13 PM   #22
Majestic
News at 11 with your anchorman Fred
WL VET
Father of the WL Memories Box

Everyone,

I would like to do two things for Roy. Of course with help from all of you.

I would like to have FTD deliver a flower arrangement to the family. I'm waiting to hear from them with details as to where we can send it.

I also just hung up the phone with Pastor Woodrow Woody Keiser who runs an organization called the Dream a Wish Foundation. They are located in Florida and help make dreams come true for needy children. I would like to take up a collection to make a donation on behalf of our dear friend Roy. It is certainly a good cause. Roy's family would be sent a letter of thanks and a plaque of recognition for the donation. They are also updated quarterly with the foundations' status and what the donations are going to.

Please take a moment to PM me if you are interested in participating in the collection.

Here is a message from the Pastor himself which should give you a better idea about them. You could also visit their website at http://www.dream-a-wish.org/index.html.

Dear Friends & Neighbors:

There are a lot of charitable originations in our community, but none like the Dream-A-Wish Foundation. This charitable foundation is totally operated by volunteers. We do more in a month than some of the others do in an entire year. Dream-A-Wish was founded by my wife and me in April 1997, and up through December 2003 we completed seventy-six, once in a life time dreams, for physically and mentally handicapped children in Central Florida. Twenty-four dreams were completed in 2003 alone!

This foundation also works in partnership with nine other local children’s organizations to better serve the community as a whole. They supply handicapped equipment to aid the children, and computers to assist with educating these children. Our partners include WORC, South Boston Ave School, Pediatric Health Choice, Indian Trail School, Horizon Elementary, and Children’s Medical Services, among others.

During the Christmas holidays Dream-A-Wish visits over 400 children who are physically or mentally impaired. These children would not have good tidings and joy in their holiday without help. Dreams-A-Wish has a state of the art “Santa Sleigh” that goes to places where these children can enjoy having their photo taken with Mr. & Mrs. Claus. This sleigh setup is complete with carols playing, motorized reindeer, and snow falling, to make it most realistic. Putting smiles on children's faces, love in their hearts, and a brighter outlook on their tomorrows is worth all the time, energy, and dollars we spend.

There is a lot more to this charitable foundation than you might imagine. We provide food for dream children’s families who go hungry because of the cost of doctors & medications, and handicap equipment that governmental or other charitable programs do not furnish. We provide last wish dreams to terminally ill kids to visit Disney, and much more.

Please check our website frequently to find out more about this most deserving and worthy foundation. Or, call the foundation headquarters office toll free at 1-877-788-WISH (9474) or email us at kids@dream-a-wish.org. We will be thrilled to speak with you. If you agree with what this important volunteer charitable organization is trying to accomplish here locally, then please support it and help it grow. You can provide support in many ways: Donation of funds is of primary importance. But you can also donate cars, trucks, RV’s, boats timeshares, appliances in good condition... You may even consider a bequest in your will. Donors receive a tax-deductible receipt for all donations.

Dream-A-Wish is also always looking for volunteers to help in the office, on the computers, answering phones, and making suggestions. The foundation also seeks volunteer board members, who are willing to sacrifice their time and effort in order to perpetuate our founding visions, and provide leadership for the future. If you are interested in volunteering for a worthy local cause, please call our office. Although we are mostly staffed by retired senior citizens, we welcome anyone who can offer help in our quest to provide dreams to those who are in need, especially our “children”.

Demand truly exceeds supply as respects our mission and desire. One of the main goals of The Dream-A-Wish Foundation, is to show the community what charity really means. It means giving from the heart to those children and families in immediate need - a Good Samaritan’s true intention.

Respectfully,

Pastor Woodrow Woody Keiser

Last edited by Majestic; 08-03-2004 at 07:20 PM.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:25 PM   #23
kejoda
Steve Irwin, taking care of Heavens animals
I never thought I would ever call myself a peep pooper groupie!!

Prayers for his family and friends.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:26 PM   #24
Blondie
~*~*~*~
This TF always enjoys Blondies wonderful clipart :)
Green Bean Fries knock my socks off!

Sending my deepest condolences to Roy's family.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:37 PM   #25
marymrg
DIS Veteran

Hugs and prayers for Roy's family and friends here..........

I followed Roy's journey through the Wilderness Lodge Forum when he was seriously ill a few months ago. I was very touched by the outpouring of love by his friends here and his note to all of you when he had recovered. I hope you can take some comfort in that he knew how much he meant to you and how much you meant to him. He has touched many - well beyond the boundaries of Humphrey's Home.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:40 PM   #26
Majestic
News at 11 with your anchorman Fred
WL VET
Father of the WL Memories Box

Re: Hugs and prayers for Roy's family and friends here..........

I couldn't agree more.

Quote:
Originally posted by marymrg
He has touched many - well beyond the boundaries of Humphrey's Home.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:51 PM   #27
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Very sad indeed. I was so hopeful after Roy's surgery that he would beat it. He and I 'talked' a bit in pm's, a couple old guys. Not much, just now and then. I used to tell him how I 'envied' him and his retirement. He would tell me, 'Your time will come, sonny, in the meantime, enjoy the Mouse'.

He was not here on the DIS all that long, active for just a bit less than a year, but he sure moved many a heart, many a soul. Never met him, I wish I had. I recall my last PM to him, wishing him continued progress in his recovery, he said, "A day at a time, a day at a time, and I am enjoying them'. He will be missed, by many people here. He could always get that WL weather forecast, couldn't he? I think he is helping now, make that weather nice for those who visit his home away from home, WL, he loved it so. Next time I'm there, Roy, Humphrey gets a pat on the nose, for the magic, for you.

God speed, FloridaCat.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Old 08-03-2004, 08:23 PM   #28
Beth E. (NJ)
Disney obsessed
My name is Beth E. and I am a packrat!
to be the response after Jeff is a heavy burden to bear

How very very sad. My thoughts and prayers go out to out to his family.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:31 PM   #29
Pam
DIS Veteran

Old 08-03-2004, 09:39 PM   #30
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

<font color=navy>This is so sad. My condolences and prayers for his family and friends.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: