Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2010, 05:42 PM   #1441
alaskanabbott
DIS Veteran

Hi, so glad I found you all! We are coming Jan 21-30th. Our son James was granted a Make a Wish trip last march to WDW and Give Kids the World. We were never that into Disney, I mean not freaks, but we do have 6 kids so you can't help but be "into" Disney. James was treated so wonderful at WDW we knew we wanted to return someday. During his wish trip our family caught the Noro-Virus and our 6 day vacation was cut short by two days...we only got to spend about an hour at AK, and only spent about 2 hours at Epcot. James had really wanted to do the Safari, and the Test Track. At GKTW James was given a star with his name on it, and the "star fairy" came and put it in the ceiling of the castle of miracles. We are planning to go back as day guests to GKTW and spend the other 8 days at WDW. There will be 9 of us going, 3 separate rooms. We have 6 kids, myself, DH and my dad.
Anyway I do have some questions.
1. Our travel agent isn't very helpful...I want to call ASMo myself and make sure they have us in connecting rooms, at least for two of them. Can I call them?
2. We are very budget limited, and we want to be very frugal when it comes to breakfast. We thought about renting a fridge for one of the rooms and getting cereal and fruit for breakfast. Is there a store we can walk to from ASMo?
3. Also heard that there is a Mac Donald's very close...is it close enough walk? I know they have pretty cheap breakfast there.
Any other ideas about breakfast is appreciated.
Thanks
TR-THE WEEK OF YES!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2428215
GKTW-3/10 ASMO-2/11 Disney Wonder-2/12Disney Wonder-11/12Disney Magic-1/13
alaskanabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:42 PM   #1442
Andyman45
Earning My Ears

Ugh! What a way to spend your vacation!

I can't comment too much on the connecting rooms or the McDs, but- wanted to make sure you knew about the Free Dining Promotion that based on your listed dates, you actually qualify for...you can read up on the Dining plan...it all depends on your family's style, but it can save you a lot of money. You can price packages yourself on the WDW website. Just make sure you go through the "Special Offers" page. You can get the "Quick Service" dining for free, or you can upgrade to the regular dining plan for slightly extra.

Good luck! Hope you can get answers to the rest of your questions!
Andyman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-31-2010, 09:47 PM   #1443
lovesdumbo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanabbott View Post
Hi, so glad I found you all! We are coming Jan 21-30th. Our son James was granted a Make a Wish trip last march to WDW and Give Kids the World. We were never that into Disney, I mean not freaks, but we do have 6 kids so you can't help but be "into" Disney. James was treated so wonderful at WDW we knew we wanted to return someday. During his wish trip our family caught the Noro-Virus and our 6 day vacation was cut short by two days...we only got to spend about an hour at AK, and only spent about 2 hours at Epcot. James had really wanted to do the Safari, and the Test Track. At GKTW James was given a star with his name on it, and the "star fairy" came and put it in the ceiling of the castle of miracles. We are planning to go back as day guests to GKTW and spend the other 8 days at WDW. There will be 9 of us going, 3 separate rooms. We have 6 kids, myself, DH and my dad.
1. Our travel agent isn't very helpful...I want to call ASMo myself and make sure they have us in connecting rooms, at least for two of them. Can I call them?
2. We are very budget limited, and we want to be very frugal when it comes to breakfast. We thought about renting a fridge for one of the rooms and getting cereal and fruit for breakfast. Is there a store we can walk to from ASMo?
3. Also heard that there is a Mac Donald's very close...is it close enough walk? I know they have pretty cheap breakfast there.
Thanks
1) you can NOT call Disney about your reservation-they won't talk to you about it-only travel agent. The most you could get would be 2 connecting rooms-there are no 3 connecting rooms.

2) you might want to consider doing a grocery order from www.gardengrocer.com I've had very good luck with them. I know lots of other folks on the Dis love www.wegoshop.com also.

3) it would not be safe to walk to McD's.

Hope you have a great trip!!!!
Old 09-01-2010, 12:58 AM   #1444
alaskanabbott
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyman45 View Post
Ugh! What a way to spend your vacation!

I can't comment too much on the connecting rooms or the McDs, but- wanted to make sure you knew about the Free Dining Promotion that based on your listed dates, you actually qualify for...you can read up on the Dining plan...it all depends on your family's style, but it can save you a lot of money. You can price packages yourself on the WDW website. Just make sure you go through the "Special Offers" page. You can get the "Quick Service" dining for free, or you can upgrade to the regular dining plan for slightly extra.

Good luck! Hope you can get answers to the rest of your questions!
Thanks, we ARE doing the FD, but with two QS meals and two snacks, we will still need breakfast. Is the upgrade really that much better than the QS?
Old 09-01-2010, 01:01 AM   #1445
alaskanabbott
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesdumbo View Post
1) you can NOT call Disney about your reservation-they won't talk to you about it-only travel agent. The most you could get would be 2 connecting rooms-there are no 3 connecting rooms.

2) you might want to consider doing a grocery order from www.gardengrocer.com I've had very good luck with them. I know lots of other folks on the Dis love www.wegoshop.com also.

3) it would not be safe to walk to McD's.

Hope you have a great trip!!!!
Oh placing an order would be so handy! And they just deliver it to our room? I think that is definitely an option. Two bad I can't call....I just don't think the TA is going to be very helpful, hmmm...And walking to McD's is out huh? Did I mention we are from a little town in Alaska? We are not very street smart, so I'm glad I asked
Old 09-01-2010, 09:10 AM   #1446
PixiePoppins
Wishing Upon a Star

Quote:

Thanks
From one MAW family to another, hello! Our DD now 11 had a trip to GKTW 4 years ago. What a magical, amazing place! We also stayed at ASMo last December in connecting rooms, and LOVED it! They will guarantee you connecting rooms when it is a matter of kids in the second room. I was told this when I booked through Disney. We have a family of 5 and got connecting rooms. I believe only 2 rooms connect. You can ask that the 3rd be adjoining (next to the others). Was this booked as a Grand Gathering (8 or more people in the trip)? I've not done that before, but I would think they would want to keep the group in rooms somewhat close together. I actually would call Disney to verify they got it right, it can't hurt to try. When I went through an agent the trip before last, I was able to call and verify my room request even though I wasn't the one who booked it.

Regarding a fridge, you can request a small one if there is a medical need for it. My dd takes meds, so all I did was request it at check-in and it was there in about an hour. It is the small square-shaped size, but it can hold a few things.

According to Google Maps, the McDonald's are from 1.2-1.4 miles away from the ASMo. I wouldn't walk it. Instead, I would pack some food in the suitcases or carry-ons. I did this one time, filled an enitre hard-sided suitcase with breakfast food, bread, PB&J, etc. And then on the return trip I had the space to put souviners in.

Visiting GKTW for a day is fabulous! We did that once before and will do so again in our upcoming trip in Oct. You are treated just as you were when you stayed on site. We like to go on Mon or Thurs morning because the Disney characters are there too (unless they changed things), and then we can get some quality, unrushed time with our favorites. Last time, DD sat with Mary Poppins about 10 minutes, just chatting and smiling from ear to ear. Then of course there is visiting the Ice Cream Palace and all the other great places!

Best wishes to you!

PixiePoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:22 AM   #1447
kdunkle904
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thanks
We have found in our experience with the dining plan that there are a number of places to get a large snack to use as your breakfast. You can get things like a cinnamen roll which are huge or a muffin or even a ham and cheese croisant. Check out the snack thread on the disboards.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:58 AM   #1448
alaskanabbott
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixiePoppins View Post
From one MAW family to another, hello! Our DD now 11 had a trip to GKTW 4 years ago. What a magical, amazing place! We also stayed at ASMo last December in connecting rooms, and LOVED it! They will guarantee you connecting rooms when it is a matter of kids in the second room. I was told this when I booked through Disney. We have a family of 5 and got connecting rooms. I believe only 2 rooms connect. You can ask that the 3rd be adjoining (next to the others). Was this booked as a Grand Gathering (8 or more people in the trip)? I've not done that before, but I would think they would want to keep the group in rooms somewhat close together. I actually would call Disney to verify they got it right, it can't hurt to try. When I went through an agent the trip before last, I was able to call and verify my room request even though I wasn't the one who booked it.

Regarding a fridge, you can request a small one if there is a medical need for it. My dd takes meds, so all I did was request it at check-in and it was there in about an hour. It is the small square-shaped size, but it can hold a few things.

According to Google Maps, the McDonald's are from 1.2-1.4 miles away from the ASMo. I wouldn't walk it. Instead, I would pack some food in the suitcases or carry-ons. I did this one time, filled an enitre hard-sided suitcase with breakfast food, bread, PB&J, etc. And then on the return trip I had the space to put souviners in.

Visiting GKTW for a day is fabulous! We did that once before and will do so again in our upcoming trip in Oct. You are treated just as you were when you stayed on site. We like to go on Mon or Thurs morning because the Disney characters are there too (unless they changed things), and then we can get some quality, unrushed time with our favorites. Last time, DD sat with Mary Poppins about 10 minutes, just chatting and smiling from ear to ear. Then of course there is visiting the Ice Cream Palace and all the other great places!

Best wishes to you!
THANKS! I have been really wanting to talk to someone who has gone back. The kids are just as excited to go back to GKTW as they are to go to WDW. We are planning to go for a day, ride the carousel, play min. golf and explore. Do we get to swim too? Of course everyone wants another trip to the ice cream palace
I want to see his star, I know it is so corny, but just knowing it's up there, that was such a magical thing for us.
How are the parks post wish trip? I know we no longer have the green light GAC, but without the WISH attached to the trip, is it still as magical?
Old 09-01-2010, 10:32 AM   #1449
PixiePoppins
Wishing Upon a Star

Quote:
THANKS! I have been really wanting to talk to someone who has gone back. The kids are just as excited to go back to GKTW as they are to go to WDW. We are planning to go for a day, ride the carousel, play min. golf and explore. Do we get to swim too? Of course everyone wants another trip to the ice cream palace
I want to see his star, I know it is so corny, but just knowing it's up there, that was such a magical thing for us.
How are the parks post wish trip? I know we no longer have the green light GAC, but without the WISH attached to the trip, is it still as magical?
I know just how you feel about that star...it is very special. I know exactly where my daughter's star is and it was fun for us to find it again and see just how many more stars had come along since her wish trip. We will also do the carousel, play golf, ride the train, drive the RC boats, etc. I don't know why you couldn't swim. I'm sure you could change in the restrooms right by the pool area. You could call them if you want to be sure, but I bet it is fine. Our kids love GKTW too and can't wait to visit! Because most of the wish families go to the parks during the day, there is hardly anyone around in the village. It's pretty cool to have the place almost to yourself.

On our first trip back to GKTW, I wasn't sure if I needed to call them to say we were coimng or what. Turns out, you just show up at the gate, tell them you are former wish family returning for a visit. They let you in the gate, you park and check in at the front desk. They will give you name stickers to wear. From then on...fun, kindness and magic abound, just like before.

As for WDW parks post wish...they are always magical to us...but we're true WDW nuts. Of course there isn't the red carpet treatment like on the MAW trip, but you will still have a great time. Just think of it as a different kind of magic this time. While our trip in 2006 will probably be the top of my favorite trips to WDW, I still feel like a kid on Christmas morning going back each time. And it seems something special or magical happens that we associate with each trip.

We like to try to spot MAW families now on their trips and surprise their wish kid with a little stuffed animal. Just a little something from one wish family to another. Wish families are pretty easy to spot in the MK.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

PixiePoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:02 PM   #1450
alaskanabbott
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixiePoppins View Post
I know just how you feel about that star...it is very special. I know exactly where my daughter's star is and it was fun for us to find it again and see just how many more stars had come along since her wish trip. We will also do the carousel, play golf, ride the train, drive the RC boats, etc. I don't know why you couldn't swim. I'm sure you could change in the restrooms right by the pool area. You could call them if you want to be sure, but I bet it is fine. Our kids love GKTW too and can't wait to visit! Because most of the wish families go to the parks during the day, there is hardly anyone around in the village. It's pretty cool to have the place almost to yourself.

On our first trip back to GKTW, I wasn't sure if I needed to call them to say we were coimng or what. Turns out, you just show up at the gate, tell them you are former wish family returning for a visit. They let you in the gate, you park and check in at the front desk. They will give you name stickers to wear. From then on...fun, kindness and magic abound, just like before.

As for WDW parks post wish...they are always magical to us...but we're true WDW nuts. Of course there isn't the red carpet treatment like on the MAW trip, but you will still have a great time. Just think of it as a different kind of magic this time. While our trip in 2006 will probably be the top of my favorite trips to WDW, I still feel like a kid on Christmas morning going back each time. And it seems something special or magical happens that we associate with each trip.

We like to try to spot MAW families now on their trips and surprise their wish kid with a little stuffed animal. Just a little something from one wish family to another. Wish families are pretty easy to spot in the MK.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
I love the idea of surprising a wish family! We are deffinatly going to do it! Your tips have helped a lot. We are still posting on the Wishtripper board too for advice, but I may PM you sometime.
Here's a baord related Question: Having a child with mobility issues and my father who is not in a wheelchair, but also has mobility issues, which building at ASMo would be best for us? Is it better to be close to buses, food, pool?
Old 09-01-2010, 12:10 PM   #1451
Traveliz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh placing an order would be so handy! And they just deliver it to our room? I think that is definitely an option. Two bad I can't call....I just don't think the TA is going to be very helpful, hmmm...And walking to McD's is out huh? Did I mention we are from a little town in Alaska? We are not very street smart, so I'm glad I asked
It is absolutely safe to walk to McDonald's from any of the All Stars. There are extremely wide sidewalks, then a cross walk and light to the McDonald's. The Disney All Star CMs park right by there so its all very user friendly.

I have made the walk many times.

That said from Movies it is a much longer haul than from Sports (much more doable from Sports). And if your goal is to save money it would be minimal at best. The McDonald's on Disney property don't have your run of the mill small town prices. Eating at the food court would be similar in price.

Liz
Traveliz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:51 PM   #1452
lovesdumbo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks, we ARE doing the FD, but with two QS meals and two snacks, we will still need breakfast. Is the upgrade really that much better than the QS?
I think you'll be surprised how much food you'll get with 2 QS & 2 snacks a day per person. You could use snacks to buy pastries & other fruit for breakfast. Plus you will all get a refillable mug so you could use those for a breakfast drink at your resort and get milk to use for cereal.

Quote:
I have never tried to walk to McD so I would trust TravelLiz advice on that.

Garden Grocer will deliver to the resort bell services. You don't have to be there to get the order. Bell services has a large fridge to keep any thing that needs to stay cold. I have had good luck with them. There is a $40 minimum order and a $12 delivery charge (or free over $200).

Quick service DDP gives you the refillable mugs, 2 QS meals and 2 snack per night of your reservation.

Regular DDP you don't get the refillable mugs, you get 1 QS meal, 1 snack and 1 table service meal. You would have to budget for tips on the table service meals and make reservations ahead of time.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:21 PM   #1453
Honeystar120608
100% Canuck

Just wanted to add, we like to do breakfast in our room. It saves some time, avoids crowds and we enjoy a little 'in' time. We pack cereals, buy the milk at the cefeteria the night before. This year we bought a $6 electric kettle, and will bring envelopes of instant oatmeal for dh and I.

Just an idea, it's also very cost affective. Also bring granola bars, cereal bars.. little snack things.

Also, QS dp is A LOT. We did the basic DP last year, which was great with the restaurant reservations, but it took more time. And you only get 1 snack and no refillable mug for the resort. Which to us means a lot.

There is tons of great food for QS!!
2010-Oct 1-Oct 7 ASmo
2009-Dec 6-12 ASmo
2008-Dec ASmo (started an addiction)
Honeystar120608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:07 AM   #1454
alaskanabbott
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeystar120608 View Post
Just wanted to add, we like to do breakfast in our room. It saves some time, avoids crowds and we enjoy a little 'in' time. We pack cereals, buy the milk at the cefeteria the night before. This year we bought a $6 electric kettle, and will bring envelopes of instant oatmeal for dh and I.

Just an idea, it's also very cost affective. Also bring granola bars, cereal bars.. little snack things.

Also, QS dp is A LOT. We did the basic DP last year, which was great with the restaurant reservations, but it took more time. And you only get 1 snack and no refillable mug for the resort. Which to us means a lot.

There is tons of great food for QS!!
It seems like the QS plan is the best one for us. We actually have one of those electric kettle's, and it would be perfect for hot cocoa, oatmeal and cup o'soups in the room. I had not even thought of that! I think we may just go ahead and bring some snacks and eat in our room, seems to be the best idea
Old 09-02-2010, 11:49 AM   #1455
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Thanks
I wouldn't bother with McDonalds. You won't be saving anything there. Use snack credits for breakfast. Beleive me with 2 snack credits and 2 CS meals including dessert, you won't need 2 full snacks a day each. Yo ucan also buy a couple of kids CS breakfats for fairly cheap and share them.
I don't think the cost of the fridge woul;d be any cheaper than buying 2 kids breakfasts a day.
We also bring down granolas for fast breakfast, then load up on lunch.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: