Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2014, 08:23 PM   #1
rideswithchrist
Earning My Ears

room only reservation- rate lock in?

I thought that if I get a room-only reservation and pay the deposit, I could later add park tickets-making it a package and since it would be sooner than 45 days before we leave, I would just have to pay the balance and it would be fine.

But the agent I was working with said that if we did room only, we would have to basically cancel the room only ressie, thus losing the winter rate special and then have to pay it all.

I was advised to go room only on one of these boards...

2004 POP Century Honeymoon

rideswithchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:20 PM   #2
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Why not just purchase your tickets separately. Pay for them immediately with your credit card. That leaves your room reservation untouched. Your tickets will still link to your MDE account.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-23-2014, 10:01 PM   #3
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideswithchrist View Post
I thought that if I get a room-only reservation and pay the deposit, I could later add park tickets-making it a package and since it would be sooner than 45 days before we leave, I would just have to pay the balance and it would be fine.

But the agent I was working with said that if we did room only, we would have to basically cancel the room only ressie, thus losing the winter rate special and then have to pay it all.

To go from room only to a package, you do have to cancel and rebook. But unless you want the dining plan, I would just buy your tickets separate.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:27 PM   #4
aimes0105
Earning My Ears

Your agent should be able to get tickets for you independent of your room reservation also. It sounds like they are pushing you to buy a package because that works better for them or he our she maybe isn't well versed in Disney and just doesn't know how. But I have booked room and tickets separately before so I know it can be done without canceling and rebooking if you want to use a TA. Or, do as others have suggested and buy them separately yourself, though if you're working with an agent I would at least give them the chance to do it separately for you before going it on your own.

1990, 1995 Childhood trips offsite
2001 Villas at Disney Institute
2014 Villas at Wilderness Lodge- DD's first trip
2015 Art of Animation (?)
aimes0105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:08 AM   #5
purple figment
DIS Veteran

On another thread you said you were not getting a dining plan so there's no reason to book a package. Just keep the room only reservation with the winter rate special and buy your tickets separately. You can purchase tickets through Disney or save a little money by buying them from an authorized third party re-seller such as Undercover Tourist or Maple Leaf or through AAA. They can be linked to your My Disney Experience account so that you'll be able to make your FP+ selections. We just got back from a trip where we booked room only and purchased our tickets through Undercover. We had no problems make FP+ selections at 60 days.

The agent is correct that if you decide to book a package later, you will have to cancel the room only and lose the discounted rate you currently have. Room only and packages are booked on separate systems at Disney so you cannot modify a room only res to a package.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:42 AM   #6
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:

The TA is correct that the RO would have to be cancelled/refunded and a package booked. As Purple Figment posted, since RO and packages are different reservation systems, money paid toward one cannot be applied to the other. With that said, if there is no longer availability at the resort you have booked under the discount, the TA should be able to talk to someone in guest services as they have the ability to change from RO to a package without losing the discount. I have made that change myself once or twice and while I'm not sure how it works for TAs, I would think they could do the same with guest services. You will be refunded the money you paid on the RO reservation and will have to pay a new $200 deposit on the package, but it can be done (with you keeping the discount and resort/room type you have booked). I also wanted to mention that it works the same in reverse. If you book a package and decide to switch to RO, tickets (and DDP, if you have that) can't just be taken off, the package would have to be cancelled/refunded and RO booked. HTH.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:47 AM   #7
MakiraMarlena
It's a big black fish to you

You can't just add park tickets and make a room only reservation into a package. you'd have to cancel the reservation and rebook it as a package.

If what you really want is a package, then purchasing a room-only reservation will not act as a "placeholder" for a future package reservation. They may be able to keep your same resort, but you can't apply anything you have already paid toward a room only to the package.

If there is no specific reason why you want a package (some discounts like free dining are applicable only to packages) then you can book a room-only and then purchase the tickets separately - the problem comes when you decide later that you'd prefer to have a package. If you don't want a dining plan then there isn't any reason for you to book a package since you can buy tickets separately from the room. Your agent can even contact WDW to purchase the tickets - I don't know the explanation for the agent to push a package if you don't want a dining plan. Do they make extra commission when they book a package?

Edited to note that I saw the OP's prior post. The OP wants to book a room now for February and pay for it later. they were advised to book a room-only reservation because if they booked a package they would be required to pay it off immediately as it's within 45 days. That advice still stands. I am not clear on whether the OP or the TA is under the impression that you HAVE to buy a package to purchase park tickets (which you don't), or if the OP really wants a package and had it in mind that you could just switch a room-only to a package when you were ready to pay for it by adding park tickets later (which you can't).

Last edited by MakiraMarlena; 12-24-2014 at 11:22 AM.
MakiraMarlena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:44 PM   #8
RustManFan
devoted to all things Disney!!

DISboards Moderator

We always go with room only reservations and buy tickets separately. In fact I sometimes buy tickets right before a price increase and hold on to them. Have 2 now from Undercover Tourist just waiting for when my DS and I go next!

We have no interest in a package since we make dining decisions on our own and rarely use any TS restaurants anyway. Too much food for us on the dining plans.

Offsite - 1987 - 1st Trip - Wilson World
CBR - 1989, 1995
FW (tent) - 1992 during Hurricane Andrew, 1997
Dixie Landings/POR (AB) - 1994, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2005, 2009
Wilderness Lodge - 1996
DL - 2013 - Good Neighbor hotel

http://s387.photobucket.com/albums/o...isney%20Stuff/
*** and eternal Rusty Wallace fan ! He is the RustMan ! ***
RustManFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:49 PM   #9
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

We always do room only. We have APs & we don't do the dining plan - so it just makes sense to us.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:00 PM   #10
tinka-belle
DIS Veteran

Just for clarification..............

You CAN book a room only discount with tickets as package, but it must be booked that way originally from the available allotment during the promo booking dates.

OPs are correct, once booked as just a room it's on a separate system and must be cancelled, refunded, and rebooked as a package with a new deposit. Money doesn't transfer between the two Disney systems. The regular phone CM's can escalate the change to customer service to try to keep your original room discount to make a package, but still have to cancel, refund, rebook, new deposit.
tinka-belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:56 PM   #11
Sue M
DIS Veteran

No need to switch to a package. Save yourself some $ and buy your tickets from Undercover tourist. They ship you real tickets ( not vouchers), you can link them to your MDE acct, they don't charge shipping cost and the price you see is the same at checkout. Some companies have hidden cost that you don't see untill check out, like adding in tax & shipping. So when comparing prices, be sure your comparing apples to apples.
I've used UT a few times and think their service is great. Last Aug we got our Universal tickets from them.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:46 AM   #12
rideswithchrist
Earning My Ears

I think part if it lies in the fact that we will be paying for everything around 14 days before we check-in, which means up front.

I know that would be harder on the TA because she would have to search for open FP+ slots and stuff, but with it all being digital now and how sporadic my family is, I see a lot of changing times in the parks anyway.

I know that "most" people start planning way in advance, put their deposit down and then pay on the trip until it is paid off and we plan on doing that next time...
BUT for this trip, we will be waiting on our tax refund and using part of that for the trip. I have it all budgeted out and know it can be done since we are going in an off-season...(meaning there are plenty of rooms available)

I am a planner and a budgeter, so I will pull out 5 different plans to see what is the cheapest way of doing things-
I'll ask the TA if we can do a room only ressie and then buy tickets separately. ... if NOT- since we are not getting any extra package stuff, we can just do the room ressie and I will get tickets from undercover tourist...

*whew* all this planning makes my hubby crazy haha.

My "OTHER" option would be to get a line of credit/holiday loan and then pay it back off when we get the refund but I hate doing that.

2004 POP Century Honeymoon

Last edited by rideswithchrist; 12-26-2014 at 11:53 AM.
rideswithchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 01:55 PM   #13
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think part if it lies in the fact that we will be paying for everything around 14 days before we check-in, which means up front.

OK, but why?

I know that would be harder on the TA because she would have to search for open FP+ slots and stuff, but with it all being digital now and how sporadic my family is, I see a lot of changing times in the parks anyway.

Why bother having the TA do it, though? If it's important to you, you can do FP+s on your own.

I know that "most" people start planning way in advance, put their deposit down and then pay on the trip until it is paid off and we plan on doing that next time...
BUT for this trip, we will be waiting on our tax refund and using part of that for the trip. I have it all budgeted out and know it can be done since we are going in an off-season...(meaning there are plenty of rooms available)

I'm not sure most people make payments on their reservations at all. Some do, but it's not necessary, especially with a room-only reservation. Pay the deposit and then the rest is charged at checkin. The biggest upfront expense is the tickets.

I am a planner and a budgeter, so I will pull out 5 different plans to see what is the cheapest way of doing things-
I'll ask the TA if we can do a room only ressie and then buy tickets separately. ... if NOT- since we are not getting any extra package stuff, we can just do the room ressie and I will get tickets from undercover tourist...

Of course you can get the room-only and then buy tickets from Disney. The only question is if she understands what you're talking about AND if she wants to do this. Doing it that way does, however, mean that you'll be paying for the tickets up front, when you ask her to buy them (or if you decide to not use a TA, and I'm not totally sure why you are, you could just get them yourself online or on the phone). If you're doing that anyway, buying from a place like undercovertourist means you're spending a bit less. You're also delaying getting the tickets because they have to ship them to you; buying directly means you have them on your account immediately, allowing you to make FP+ arrangements immediately, as it seems you'll be buying the tickets well inside the 60 day FP+ timeframe.

*whew* all this planning makes my hubby crazy haha.

My "OTHER" option would be to get a line of credit/holiday loan and then pay it back off when we get the refund but I hate doing that.
Answers in blue above.

Please don't take a loan for this.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: