Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 04:03 PM   #151
jaysmom4285
DIS Veteran

We didn't eat at Shutters during our stay. They will definitely help you get your bags to your building. If you don't have your own transportation, they have vans to take you and your stuff to your room.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:21 PM   #152
MommyPoppins
Tangled with the TF in a moment of weakness
A new saying!
I'm telling you what...I'd pay goog money

I was looking at pictures of the food court and it looks like it's like a open air thing. Is it just made to look like that or is that sky I see?Food Court at CBR
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2005, 06:27 PM   #153
safetymom
Have will travel
ABD trips = clothes optional

No it is not open air. They do have clouds painted on the ceiling. I have pictures on my website listed below with food court pictures also.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:59 PM   #154
festivedaisy
Earning My Ears

Bed rails? Shipping snacks?

We'll be staying at CBR in May for the first time -- thanks so much for all the excellent info! Does anyone know if bed rails are available? My DD tends to fall out of the bed without them.

We plan on taking advantage of Magical Express, so I'm considering shipping a box of snacks to CBR in advance since we won't be able to stop at a grocery store. Has anyone done this?

Thanks!
--Christy
Old 02-12-2005, 03:06 PM   #155
G00fyDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by festivedaisy
We'll be staying at CBR in May for the first time -- thanks so much for all the excellent info! Does anyone know if bed rails are available? My DD tends to fall out of the bed without them.

We plan on taking advantage of Magical Express, so I'm considering shipping a box of snacks to CBR in advance since we won't be able to stop at a grocery store. Has anyone done this?

Thanks!
--Christy
Yes, they are available, just ask Mousekeeping.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:11 PM   #156
Mermaid02
BL II - Blue Team
Cocoa Krispies all the way!
My son's hermit crab is a zombie....
I'm leaving this snake lover infested thread

When I went on a Disney Cruise in 2002- one thing I loved was the music of the Bahamas... steel drums.... really felt "tropical" Do you hear that at CBR??? I looked at booking other resorts because of all the negative comments about CBR.... but my heart really wanted to stay there so that's where we are staying!!

~Be your own inspiration~
Old 02-13-2005, 12:48 PM   #157
Bluenoser
Mouseketeer

Carribean

I see all the posts for the other resorts and very little for the CBR. From what I am reading on this thread its a nice place to stay. We are a party of 8 - 4 adults, 4 kids, 14, 12, 10 & 5 and thought it would meet everyone's wants. Is there a better moderate resort for this age group? I've also read it is not as disney as some of the others. I remember staying at the Poly 25 years ago and it was themed for the tropics not after Mickey so I don't get the whole un-disney thing - is that referening the theme? or the staff?

I've also noticed that the transportation to and from has been rated as not good.

Any info/insight anyone can provide would be much appreciated. I'm starting to doubt our choice.

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/jj0v9zccadjqwbxr.png[/img]

Old 02-13-2005, 12:54 PM   #158
G00fyDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser
I see all the posts for the other resorts and very little for the CBR. From what I am reading on this thread its a nice place to stay. We are a party of 8 - 4 adults, 4 kids, 14, 12, 10 & 5 and thought it would meet everyone's wants. Is there a better moderate resort for this age group? I've also read it is not as disney as some of the others. I remember staying at the Poly 25 years ago and it was themed for the tropics not after Mickey so I don't get the whole un-disney thing - is that referening the theme? or the staff?

I've also noticed that the transportation to and from has been rated as not good.

Any info/insight anyone can provide would be much appreciated. I'm starting to doubt our choice.

I was under the impression that it was themed with "Pirates of the Caribbean" in mind. I havent been yet so I may be wrong.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:25 PM   #159
SeaSpray

Frankly Scallop, I don't give a clam!
Loud people give me Skull Pain!
Call me "impatient"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser
I've also read it is not as disney as some of the others. I remember staying at the Poly 25 years ago and it was themed for the tropics not after Mickey so I don't get the whole un-disney thing - is that referening the theme? or the staff?

It's funny because when I look at some of the OTHER resorts, I think THEY are the ones not themed with Disney in mind! LOL I guess it's all a matter of perspective!

We absolutely LOVED our stays at the CBR!!! There are Hidden Mickeys in the bedspreads and on the shower curtains!

We've had excellent service from the CMs there during check-in, from the housekeeping staff who left some towel animals for us, as well as rearranging DSs' stuffed animals in a cute way, and even the CMs at the food court were all very pleasant.

Personally, I think that CBR is themed as a tropical CARIBBEAN resort, with a touch of "pirates" due to the water cannons at the main pool, and the "pirate
s fort" look to the archway and bridge that goes over the middle of the main pool. Take a look at some of the pictures of CBR on my site, Disney theming is alive and well as CBR!

4 years ago from right now I was planning our first big trip to Disney and you wouldn't believe all of the negative reviews that CBR was getting at that time! This was right before the big refurbishment and while many of the comments may have been valid, a lot of the reviews were by people who just didn't like the tropical theming.

When we were deciding which moderate resort to stay at, CBR was the ONLY theme that appealed to all of us. I KNEW we'd love it, and we did!! Even now, looking at the other moderates, I can see their beauty and their appeal, but they just don't appeal to ME! So if you think that the CBR theme appeals to you, then I know you'll love it, and don't worry about the negative comments.

You definitely should read EVERYTHING you can about CBR because I firmly believe that being informed of a resorts positives and negatives is the answer to finding the resort that is right for you!

For example, I knew ahead of time that the resort was fairly large and spread out. Having my younger DS just come off crutches for a hip problem, and having my DH being diagnosed with diabetes, we knew we wanted/needed to be close to the food court/pool/bus stop, etc. So, after doing some research on these boards I realized that I wanted to be in Martinique. I requested Martinique in my reservations and the day before we left for Florida I called the resort directly (never was a fan of the idea of faxing in requests; I like talking directly with someone), and politely asked them to double-check that our requests indeed had been made and I again explained the medical reasons for the requests. Both times, we were given a room in Martinique 25. (At that time, Martinique and Trinidad North were not yet "preferred" locations; the resort had no preferred locations at all at that time that you request and pay extra for.). If we ever go back to CBR, I will gladly pay extra for the location of Martinique.

Regarding transportation, both of our trips there we experienced excellent bus service. I think we had one wait of about 20 minutes one time, waiting to go to Animal Kingdom. But otherwise we had waits of 1-10 minutes, maybe 15 minutes a couple of times. We were impressed with the bus system and had no complaints at all.

If you have your heart set on CBR, be sure to be as informed as possible about the resort, then go and ENJOY it!!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
Old 02-13-2005, 02:10 PM   #160
Bluenoser
Mouseketeer

Smile Carribean

Thanks! I like your take on it. We too were drawn to the Carribean theme. We are travelling with my brother and his family and they have never been to the Carribean nor have our kids. We lucked out a couple of years ago and my DH and I went to Cuba w/o kids. We wanted to do a two in one - the Carribean feel and Disney at the same time. Honestly, my first choice would have been the Poly only b/c we stayed there twice as kids but it was way out of our price range and I thought the CBR was the next closet.

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/jj0v9zccadjqwbxr.png[/img]

Old 02-13-2005, 11:55 PM   #161
shmoops
Earning My Ears

We never had to wait long for the bus to come, but once at the parks I found that our bus stop was always one of the furthest away from the park entrance - even further than the bus stops to/from the value hotels...
Old 02-15-2005, 11:10 AM   #162
Golf4food
Mouseketeer
Male pirate last time I checked... yep, still male
Tazicket will always be my sexy penguin

Offsite dining nearby?

We will be arriving on a Sunday evening and not visiting any parks until Monday, so are looking for things to do nearby. We aren’t partiers, so no desire to visit clubs or Downtown Disney. Is it fairly easy to get to nearby non-park restaraunts (cheaper?) instead of dining at Shutters or the food court? We don’t have a giant food budget for the days we will be there, and we’d rather do our nice meal in the parks at a themed place like Germany, etc, so we don’t really want to spend a lot for dinner at the resort if we can get the same quality nearby for less at an off-park restaurant. Any suggestions? I’ve never been to CBR, so I have no idea where it lays in relation to the rest of the park or the Orlando/Kissimee area.

Of course, if you think the prices at the food court area are compirable and I hear the food is good, then perhaps we will eat there after all – what do you all think? Is there much difference between the food and prices at CBR vs. the trouble of leaving the resort and finding something nearby offsite, especially if “nearby” in this case involves many miles and lots of traffic?

I am glad to hear about seeing the fireworks from Martinique, though, we’ll definitely check that out on Sunday night after we check in.

Thanks for all the great info everyone, it’s a big help!
Mar '14 - Offsite; Nov '13 - Offiste; Sept '13-Offsite; Apr '13-POFQ; Jan '13-POR; Dec '12-POFQ:Baby's First WDW Trip; March '11-Offiste; Nov/Dec '10-AKL/CSR; May '10-POR Pre-Dining Review-Dining Report; September '09-ASMu & DxDP Dining Report; December '08-POR; September '08-ASM; June '07-One day surprise park hopping extravaganza for DW; December '06-CBR; March '05-CBR; Many visits as a child

Old 02-15-2005, 12:51 PM   #163
ErinASB
Earning My Ears

I saw something in SeaSpray's last post that I hadn't heard of before. Now you have to pay extra to be in Martinique and/or Trinidad North? When did this start? How much extra is it?
Old 02-15-2005, 02:13 PM   #164
G00fyDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinASB
I saw something in SeaSpray's last post that I hadn't heard of before. Now you have to pay extra to be in Martinique and/or Trinidad North? When did this start? How much extra is it?
Those buildings cost extra due to their prefered location. I think we are paying an extra $15 a night to guarantee the location. You can still get booked there without paying extra but it will only be a request (that may not be met) that has to be requested upon arrival.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:14 PM   #165
safetymom
Have will travel
ABD trips = clothes optional

It costs extra nightly to stay in Martinique and Trinidad North. $15 nightly and it started in 2004.

Golf4food, if you have a car then it wouldn't be to hard to go to the Crossroads area near DTD. If you take a taxi then you could eat at the resort for about the same or less.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: