Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > In Memoriam
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2004, 10:28 AM   #316
chris1gill

But you know I'm thinking (scary enough)

Lisa, Thank you for posting his story, I cannot believe that surgery was back in 2000, I thought it was last year... The year's go by too quickly

My heart goes out to you and your daughter, please take comfort in all the good times you had.... Rich will be there in spirit with you in January.....
Old 09-09-2004, 10:41 AM   #317
kbeverina
DIS Veteran

Oh my gosh--I'm just now finding out this news. I'd missed him since the close of the Debate Board. I always looked forward to what he had to say, so entertained by his posts.

Just this past weekend we were in New York and there was a headline in the paper about unions--I thought of him and the story he told once about how he worked for a union in New York and how that affected his philosophy on business and the economy. You know that certain posters have made an impression on you when you think of them not only away from the DIS, but when you're on vacation to boot.

I really admired that he homeschooled his daughter--something I couldn't imagine myself being able to pull off, much less my husband. And though I didn't own DVC, I had to smile at the debates over BVW/OKW and 5-to-a-room, but especially enjoyed his reviews of OKW because they brought back good memories of my honeymoon there when it was still called Disney Vacation Club.

I wish you and your daughter all the best and hope you have many loved ones surrounding you to support you and bring you comfort.

Kathy
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-09-2004, 11:05 AM   #318
lillasmom

OKW Here I come!

I'm so sorry for your loss. He will be missed.

God Bless

Pixie Dust and sunshine to all!
Old 09-09-2004, 11:29 AM   #319
Fenceman
Mouseketeer

God Bless you and your family. We will pray for you.

Bill
Old 09-09-2004, 11:49 AM   #320
lurontravel
Mouseketeer

Lisa,
My deepest sympathies to you, your daughter and family. Yes, I'm a "Richyams Fan" too. Thank you for letting us know where he is, and for updating us again. I can't imagine your feelings right now. Enjoy your trip to WDW this Jan, and all ever after. I always agreed with Rich on the OKW being the best deal in all aspects of DVC, and we don't hear from too many people who share that view. We'll all miss him here, but never to the degree that you and Jacqui do...
Laura
Old 09-09-2004, 11:50 AM   #321
sgtdisney
DIS Veteran

Lisa, thank you for posting this information. It really gives a person pause to think of how special and valuable everyday we have is. God bless you and your daughter.
Old 09-09-2004, 12:38 PM   #322
Momof2
Mouseketeer

My heartfelt sympathy to you, your daughter and your family. Count me in as another who always read anything posted by Richyams. May you find comfort in knowing how many lives here on the DIS were touched by him.
Old 09-09-2004, 01:15 PM   #323
cbrothers
Mouseketeer

Lisa,

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your daughter in your time of grief.

Being a newer DVC member, I didn't know Rich as well as most people on the Dis boards did....but I did read his posts with great interest and enjoyment. He touched so many lives with his wit and humor not to mention his knowledge of WDW.

A lot of people will be celebrating his life and all he so graciously gave to others.

Please know in your heart that he is in a far better and might I add..."bigger" place and smiling down on you.

May God be with you now and always

Carol
<Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'October 11, 2004 3:00:00 PM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln(' <font size=2 color=darkblue>First Trip Home To SSR </font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writ eln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var diff = (c - d)/1000;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'Home At Last!';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>
Old 09-09-2004, 01:37 PM   #324
Diznut84
SoCal

Lisa,

I'm so sorry for your loss. Like others on the board, I also felt intense shock when I saw the news... So much so that I haven't responded until now.

I can't tell you how many times Rich made me laugh out loud while I read his posts. Among other things, he really had tremendous gifts of insight, communication, and courage to express himself. From what I understand, all of those gifts were easily eclipsed, though, by his big heart for others.

My sympathies are with you, your family and his friends.

With heartfelt sorrow,

Greg
Old 09-09-2004, 01:42 PM   #325
Loubon
Tutor Magnet (Talk to me)
Knows someone with real Mod super powers
Thinks he's stalked by the lady

Lisa, thank you for sharing that very typical Rich story with us. I always thought his humor was as obvious as it was subtle. (Then again I didn't hang around the debate board!) The DVC board was the first place I came to on the DIS and in no time I was always looking for Rich's responses (mostly to see the reaction that the posters would have!) So the ticking certainly fits the bill.

I just lost another friend (Montessori) on these boards two short months ago at the age of 46. I knew her as well for her sense of humor. She too stirred up a few emotions on the debate board. But I am glad to see such an outpouring of emotions and prayers for Rich, as was for her, even by his debate sparring partners.

We DVC members talk alot about the years we have left in our DVC agreement and it's future value blah, blah blah. I know next time I read about 37 years to go or 50 years to go or whatever, I will remember our friend who went way too early but cherished the years he had while he was here. Please keep that Disney connection alive with him. He would have wanted it that way.

Prayers and good wishes to you and your family in your time of grief and the future ahead.

There's Clowns To The Left Of Me ....
Old 09-09-2004, 02:57 PM   #326
disgirl
DIS Veteran

I was so saddened, like many here on the Disboard when I found out about Rich's passing. I always enjoyed reading his posts. He will surely be missed here on the boards.

Lisa, please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you, your daughter, and Rich's whole family. May God bless you!!

Patty
Old 09-09-2004, 04:17 PM   #327
Hilary
There's always something new to learn!

I was so sorry to read this I always enjoyed reading Rich's posts on the DVC board.

My thoughts are with your family, Lisa, and I hope your wonderful memories will help you in your time of loss.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:19 PM   #328
maryisme
DIS Veteran

My deepest sympathies

I want to express how deeply sorry I am for you and your daughter's loss. Although I didn't know Rich, I feel an incredible sense of loss. Thank you for taking the time to give us some insight into your lives.
Mary
Old 09-09-2004, 04:55 PM   #329
Maistre Gracey
Still trying to figure out the mystery of the 'Downy Ball' and the Tag Fairies??!!
Kevin Bacon looks just like me<

I am very, very sad to read this news. Somehow here on The DIS we seem to get to know one another beyond just an anonymous internet poster. Perhaps it's our common interest in Disney and DVC.
Although I never met Rich in person, it feels like a friend has passed.

My thoughts are with his family...

MG

Old 09-09-2004, 04:59 PM   #330
chipscinderelly
Victim of a drive-by tag attack!
Her blinkies might be lopsided

I am so sorry for your loss and pray that you and your daughter will cherish your memories forever. Rich's posts were hilarious and always made me smile... I'll always remember him!
2003 Aug-Grand Floridian, Oct- Caribbean Beach, Nov- Caribbean Beach, 2004 Aug - WL, Dec - BWI; 2005 May - Pop Century, June - Disneyland Hotel, Sept -SSR, DVC Cruise & BCV, Dec - BCV; 2006 May - OKW (grand villa), July - BCV, Oct - SSR/DVC Cruise, YC/Cont MK view, Dec - VWL; 2007 May - SSR, Oct BWV, Swan; 2008 March - OKW, Oct - BWV, 2009 June - Swan, Sept - Poly, 2010 Dec-AKV; 2011 Nov-BWV; 2012 Nov - BCV; 2013 May - AOA, Cruise, BLT; 2014 Feb - DL, Nov - ???
Disney Wedding photos - Fantasmic, RnR and Muppets courtyard reception

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: