Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Orlando Resorts & Hotels
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2014, 05:00 PM   #1
abbydancer
Mouseketeer
 
abbydancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mountain View California
Posts: 142

One night to get early admission?

I hope this is the right forum for this.

In mid December, we're taking my nieces to WDW. We are DVC members and are staying on a points reservation. On Thursday 12/11 we're going to Universal just to see WWOHP. We'd like early admission, so we are thinking of getting the cheapest possible room at Universal for the night of the 10th.

Some questions:
1. If we get the room, and check in Wednesday night, do we actually have to sleep there to get early admission?
2. How does it work?
3. We have a car - will we be able to park and leave it at the hotel? Does that actually make sense?

We've never been to Universal before, (just California) so any help will be appreciated.

Thank you~
abbydancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:57 PM   #2
Bluer101
Waiting till vacation comes!
 
Bluer101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: South Florida
Posts: 4,073

If you are only looking for EE then stay at the new Cabana Bay. You do not need to sleep there but you need to checkin and have a room key issued to everyone in that room. The key will need to be shown at park entrance to get in EE line.

You can park at the hotel (cabana bay) for $10 per night.
__________________
Royal Pacific is our second home. Portofino Bay is a close second now.
We stopped counting, too many trips. *
Bluer101 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-08-2014, 08:57 PM   #3
HLAuburn
DIS Veteran
 
HLAuburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ponte Vedra, FL
Posts: 4,183

Early admission would be good for the day you check in and the day you check out, so technically you could park at the resort, check in early, get your room keys (for early entry), and head to the park. Then, that night you would have access to the room if you wanted to. Or you could check in the night before as you mentioned, NOT use the room, and still use early entry in the morning. You just show your room keys an hour before official park opening.

Cabana Bay would be your least $ option for just early entry. However, if you were to get a room at one of the deluxe resorts (Royal Pacific is usually the least $), up to 5 people in the room will also get unlimited express passes. These cut your wait times significantly - not quite "front of the line", but many times you walk on or have a small wait even when the regular lines are 45+ min. December shouldn't be too crazy and many of the HP rides don't offer the express pass, but if you plan to do other things as well, they are still really nice to have.

Parking at CB is $10 a night and Royal Pacific is $18. To park in the deck, it's $16 or $17.
HLAuburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:00 AM   #4
abbydancer
Mouseketeer
 
abbydancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mountain View California
Posts: 142

Thank you for the replies. My sister and I would drive over Wednesday night, get 5 keys, and head back to Disney. Early Thrusday morning we'd drive back to the hotel with nieces and my grumpy husband in tow (I promised him this would be the only very early day for him) park there, since technically we still have the room, and walk to the park with park hoppers in hand.

They pretty much just want to do Harry Potter, and since it's still school time, we don't anticipate many lines, so probably not worth it to move up to the deluxe.

Any hitches with our plans? We figured that it's cheaper than buying express passes for all of us, and those wouldn't do much good anyway.
abbydancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:05 AM   #5
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran
 
bumbershoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 45,115

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbydancer View Post
Thank you for the replies. My sister and I would drive over Wednesday night, get 5 keys, and head back to Disney. Early Thrusday morning we'd drive back to the hotel with nieces and my grumpy husband in tow (I promised him this would be the only very early day for him) park there, since technically we still have the room, and walk to the park with park hoppers in hand.

They pretty much just want to do Harry Potter, and since it's still school time, we don't anticipate many lines, so probably not worth it to move up to the deluxe.

Any hitches with our plans? We figured that it's cheaper than buying express passes for all of us, and those wouldn't do much good anyway.
IMO the hitch is that it's mid-December. Your school might still be in session, but schools all over the country and world have different schedules. (by the way, hi, grew up in San Jose!)

Our first trip was the year Hogsmeade opened, and it started at WDW at the end of November and lasted until something like the 15th. Every day the parks got busier and busier. It wasn't unbearable, but it wasn't empty.

And this year with Diagon...you've got people who have literally waited for 2 years for their Universal visits, and they are all starting their trips. Those trips won't be finished by December.

Since you have the room, why not think of staying there? Might help out your husband. I know you want to stay at your DVC, I understand that, but...if you have a room there... Or just let your husband stay the night LOL.

And in case you didn't get the fullness of the situation, staying one night gets you Early Entrance on BOTH checkin and checkout days. You have access as a guest to the resort both days from checkin to midnight of checkout. If you booked at a Deluxe, you would have unlimited Express Pass the same amount of time.

EP works for Dragon Challenge (the big coaster) and Flight of the Hippogriff (the small coaster). Doesn't work for Forbidden Journey, Ollivander's Wand Shop show, or Gringott's. Nor the train. But still, the coasters are worth something. Worth thinking about at least.

We went to Universal originally for Hogsmeade, but decided to give it a really good go. Wanted to be fair to Universal. 4 days (2 partial and 2 full) in the parks, and DID NOT want to go. Delayed our departure hours beyond what we had planned. Finally went back over to WDW for our new reservation at Jambo, sad the whole way that we had to go back to WDW.

And that is without riding the big rides, other than me riding Forbidden Journey. We absolutely loved the whole place.

Worth thinking about, at least.
__________________
-molly + robert + eamon (10!!)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:39 PM   #6
abbydancer
Mouseketeer
 
abbydancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mountain View California
Posts: 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
IMO the hitch is that it's mid-December. Your school might still be in session, but schools all over the country and world have different schedules. (by the way, hi, grew up in San Jose!)

Our first trip was the year Hogsmeade opened, and it started at WDW at the end of November and lasted until something like the 15th. Every day the parks got busier and busier. It wasn't unbearable, but it wasn't empty.

And this year with Diagon...you've got people who have literally waited for 2 years for their Universal visits, and they are all starting their trips. Those trips won't be finished by December.

Since you have the room, why not think of staying there? Might help out your husband. I know you want to stay at your DVC, I understand that, but...if you have a room there... Or just let your husband stay the night LOL.

And in case you didn't get the fullness of the situation, staying one night gets you Early Entrance on BOTH checkin and checkout days. You have access as a guest to the resort both days from checkin to midnight of checkout. If you booked at a Deluxe, you would have unlimited Express Pass the same amount of time.

EP works for Dragon Challenge (the big coaster) and Flight of the Hippogriff (the small coaster). Doesn't work for Forbidden Journey, Ollivander's Wand Shop show, or Gringott's. Nor the train. But still, the coasters are worth something. Worth thinking about at least.

We went to Universal originally for Hogsmeade, but decided to give it a really good go. Wanted to be fair to Universal. 4 days (2 partial and 2 full) in the parks, and DID NOT want to go. Delayed our departure hours beyond what we had planned. Finally went back over to WDW for our new reservation at Jambo, sad the whole way that we had to go back to WDW.

And that is without riding the big rides, other than me riding Forbidden Journey. We absolutely loved the whole place.

Worth thinking about, at least.
Hi back!

Thanks for the ideas. Even if we love universal, we can't spend more than one day there. My sister only has 5 days, and her kids haven't been to WDW since 2008, so one day in each park there - first time ever at MK, and splitting the Epcot day with Blizzard Beach, plus the day at Universal.

While we certainly don't expect no lines, we are going at the early part of mid December, so hopefully they will be manageable. However, we did decide that we are going to book a room at a deluxe resort on the night we'll be there. We'll leave WDW early in the morning, planning to arrive at the hotel around 7:25 am. We'll check in, get our keys and express passes and high tail it over to the parks to go to Diagon alley first. When we're done, back to the hotel - check out the same day and back to disney.

Advantages of this way - only one trip and if DH wants to take a nap after doing HP, he can use the room and come back to whichever park we're in when he's done.

Thanks for all the help!
abbydancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:34 PM   #7
laharp4
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 4

Questions from a "first timer"

Hi All,

I am trying to plan our first trip to Orlando for next October and wondering if someone could help us with 2 questions?

1. Is it possible to see and do most of the rides at Universal in just one day? (of course HP is our main objective).

2. We are assuming that a week day would be less crowded than the weekend, but we are still wondering how the “early” admission works?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!!
laharp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:39 PM   #8
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie
 
macraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)
Posts: 56,061

october 2014 or 2015?

if you go to www.universalorlando.com and read the hotel section, it will give you a lot of info for your second question
__________________
life is what happens to you on your way to achieving your dreams...........

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:21 AM   #9
HLAuburn
DIS Veteran
 
HLAuburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ponte Vedra, FL
Posts: 4,183

Quote:
Originally Posted by laharp4 View Post
Hi All,

I am trying to plan our first trip to Orlando for next October and wondering if someone could help us with 2 questions?

1. Is it possible to see and do most of the rides at Universal in just one day? (of course HP is our main objective).

2. We are assuming that a week day would be less crowded than the weekend, but we are still wondering how the “early” admission works?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!!
One park in one day - maybe. More likely if you have Express Pass. Both parks in one day - highly unlikely, even with EP.

If you stay onsite (and some "partner" hotels, I think), you are admitted into the parks 1 hour before opening to the public. The times vary, but its always one hour before. During that hour, the HP sections will be open and since it's only select guests, you can do and see a lot before the crowds pick up...which they always do! It might be a little better on a weekday, but HP (even the "old" part) still draws a crowd.

If you're limited on time (even if youre not!), I recommend staying onsite to get the "free" unlimited express passes and early entry...makes for a much better visit, IMO!
HLAuburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:03 AM   #10
laharp4
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 4

How long does it take to go thru both of the HP worlds, including the train?
laharp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:01 AM   #11
glocon
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,297

Depends on many things..... When you go, crowds, time of day,
__________________
2002-WDW offsite and POR *2003-WDW/UO offsite *2007-UO/SW offsite *2010-WDW AKL/UO HRH *2012WDW BC/UO HRH *2014-UO RPR&CB
glocon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:43 PM   #12
laharp4
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 4

We are going next year, 2015, mid October (before Halloween)... My thinking is that the kids will be back in school and we won't have any holidays. The Harry Potter worlds / rides will be our main target. We do have a few more that will follow as time permits. (Minions, Men in Black, etc.) We won't have any little ones with us... all adults.
laharp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:07 PM   #13
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie
 
macraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)
Posts: 56,061

fall school breaks, local schools with institute no school days will happen in october.

some weeks will be busy.
early october usually is really good for lower crowd levels.
__________________
life is what happens to you on your way to achieving your dreams...........

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:05 AM   #14
glocon
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,297

We go for fall break trips that are mid-October. The lines can get pretty long. I think more and more schools are having fall breaks now. We go then because it is definitely less crowded then summer, but still I wouldn't say low crowds, just lower crowds.

And many people go for HHN also. That is getting bigger and bigger every year too from what I hear, and that is in Sept/Oct.
__________________
2002-WDW offsite and POR *2003-WDW/UO offsite *2007-UO/SW offsite *2010-WDW AKL/UO HRH *2012WDW BC/UO HRH *2014-UO RPR&CB
glocon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.