Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Technical Support > Technical Support
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2004, 12:14 PM   #1
WebmasterAlex
DIS Veteran

DISboards Administrator

Virus's Trojans and Worms oh my!

It seems like I am seeing more and more posts on all the boards about virus problems, worms, trojans etc. I thought it might be nice to have a single thread where we can share our thoughts on the best ways to keep your computer safe and keep it clean.

It all starts with your network. If you have Cable, DSL or other high speed internet access you should have a firewall. Software firewalls can slow down your computer and cause other issues. Probably the best thing to use is one of the cable/dsl routers put out by D-Link/Linksys/Belkin etc. They are inexpensive and a very good first step. They also allow you to share interent access among several computers.

Anti-Virus Software- EVERYONE should have this on their computer. No exceptions unless you don't access the internet or email. Norton seems to be the most popular. Mcaffee works but a lot of people think that it slows their computer down. F-prot works and is cheaper than the others if you are on a budget.
Make sure your virus definitions are up to date. Virus software without updated definitions is entirely useless.

Anti spyware/adware programs- the 2 best ones are Adaware available in a free version from www.lavasoftusa.com and Spybot also free from http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
The most important thing about these programs is to make sure you update them regularly!! The won't do any good if they are not up to date and both contain updaters that make it easy. A LOT of computer problems would be avoided if people would run these two programs on their computer once per week.
Be VERY VERY careful about other anti-spyware software, even stuff that you pay for. Some of them put their own spyware on!
These two have been proven clean for years now.
If they fail to clean you up there is another program, hijackthis available at http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/
This is an extremely powerful program and you MUST post your results on their forum for interpretation. Misuse of this program can render your computer unusable so I only reccomend it as a last resort before you reload anyway.

Pop up blocker- There are several out there, I like the free google toolbar. The DIS/the boards and dreams do NOT use any type of pop up ad. If you see a pop up on one of our sites it is a sign that your computer is infected.

Freeware- gator/incredimail/the thing to keep your clock synchronized etc etc etc.
Anytime anyone is offering you "free" software chances are very good they are infecting your computer with spyware! If you read the agreement carefully you are giving them permission to do that. Unless you know that something is harmless DON'T allow any free software on your computer.

What are some signs that your computer is infected?
Pop up ads where there shouldn't be any
Very slow performance
Your Internet Explorer is "hijacked" and you can't change your home page.
Frequent crashes

It is very important to check/clean your computer at the FIRST sign of a problem. The longer this stuff is allowed to exist the greater the chance that it will do damage.

Spam- NEVER EVER use the unsubscribe link to unsubscribe from spam. By using it you are telling them that this is a valid email address and you can expect to start getting a lot more spam.

webmasteralex@wdwinfo.com
No Tag, No Signature.....no Need
WebmasterAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 01:02 PM   #2
Tiggeroo
Grammar Nazi
is looking for a funny tag to put under her name
How about..Eats all the peanut butter out of the chocolate ice cream?
Showed BestBuy her Best Pink Lace

I believe my pc is infected and I am having trouble cleaning it. Norton comes up clean but most other programs stop halfway thru and shut down the pc. The computer works fine but runs slow. At one point adaware detected problems as did spybot but I don't think I have been able to run it all the way thru and get them removed. Once we had a small window open up on the pc showing lots of worm and trojan files moving rapidly. Is there someplace I can go on my pc to show whether I have a virus? I'm not ready to do a reinstall as it's working, just don't think it's working right. Is it possible I removed the virus but it left some damage behind and that's where the problem is?
From what I understand a worm virus alters your anti-virus programs. It can make it show no virus, or make it shut down and not finish the process.

Flamingo Restored by Dan Murphy
Tiggeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-01-2004, 01:11 PM   #3
WebmasterAlex
DIS Veteran

DISboards Administrator

One good thing to try is to reboot in "safe mode". Tap the F8 key when starting your computer. Run your antivirus and anti-spyware programs in safe mode and they will often remove stuff they normally can't.

Old 08-01-2004, 01:39 PM   #4
Tiggeroo
Grammar Nazi
is looking for a funny tag to put under her name
How about..Eats all the peanut butter out of the chocolate ice cream?
Showed BestBuy her Best Pink Lace

alright I just ran symantec's w32blaster remover. It came up with a message that W32 Blaster worm has been detected on my pc. The only option it then gives me is to click ok. I do this, did it just remove the virus? It gave me no message saying this has now been removed. I'm trying to figure out if I"m getting this off my pc.

Flamingo Restored by Dan Murphy
Tiggeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 02:45 PM   #5
Dan Murphy
We are family.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/blast.mspx

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Dan Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 02:49 PM   #6
Candace
DIS Veteran

I just installed the free version of Adaware from Lavasoftusa, but I have no help for the continuing pop-up warning of the Trojan virus on my startpage. I have AVG for Windows installed, but when I run it, the warning even pops up during that! It pops up every time I change pages. I am illiterate about these things and would appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Old 08-01-2004, 05:23 PM   #7
JimC
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

We use a cable internet connection, one desktop and one wireless laptop both connected into a cable router. We use Norton Internet Security for virus and firewall protection. Also Pest Patrol for spyware. Both are recommended by Dell, our computer manufacturer. We are pleased with the performance of both products. Dell just launched a major computer security initiative.
WDW - All Star Movies (Fantasia), Animal Kingdom Lodge (3), Animal Kingdom Villas (Jambo House-2, Kidani Village-6), Bay Lake Towers (8), Beach Club, Beach Club Villas (9), Boardwalk Villas, Contemporary (2), Caribbean Beach (Aruba-2, Jamaica-2), Coronado Springs (Casitas-3), Dixie Landings (Bayou), Disney Institute (Villas-3), Grand Floridian (Sago Cay), Old Key West (5), Polynesian (Figi), Port Orleans, Saratoga Springs (Carousel, Congress Park, Grandstand-2, Paddock, Springs, Treehouse Villas), Villas at Grand Floridian, Villas at Wilderness Lodge (5), Wilderness Lodge, Yacht Club, Other (Cypress Harbour-6, Doubletree Castle, Renaissance WorldGate, Village [Royal Plaza, Pickett Suite])
DCL - Dream (2/11 4, 10/11 3, 2/12 4, 5/13 4, 5/14 4), Fantasy (11/13 Eastern, 10/14 Western), Magic (6/99 4, 5/05 Panama Canal, 9/08 5, 11/10 Eastern, 10/11 Western), Wonder (12/06 4, 9/09 4, 5/12 Alaska)
DL - Grand Californian (4), Villas Grand Californian (3), Marriott
Other DVC - Hilton Head, Vero Beach (6)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 05:57 PM   #8
WebmasterAlex
DIS Veteran

DISboards Administrator

Candace.. try Spybot, there is a link above.. both programs are complimentary and one will often remove what the other will not.

Tigeroo- run a full system scan

If you have a known virus or worm such as blaster, a good place to go is the Symantec Security Center. They have removal tools for a LOT of what might be on your computer as well as really good detailed instructions. Here is a link
http://securityresponse.symantec.com...r/vinfodb.html

Old 08-01-2004, 06:41 PM   #9
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

You can get a free anti-virus program (and one year of free updates) through an offer by Microsoft and Computer Associates
http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/

Microsoft also has a section on protecting your computer

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...t/default.aspx
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 06:57 PM   #10
ChrisFL
Disney/Universal Fan and MALE

Best reccomendation...STOP using Internet Explorer, it has been shown to have too many weaknesses to attack from these things.

The best browser to use is Mozilla Firefox, it blocks all pop-up ads, and doesn't get affected by a lot of the worms and viruses found put on websites these days.

Go to http://www.mozilla.com for more info
ChrisFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 07:23 PM   #11
WebmasterAlex
DIS Veteran

DISboards Administrator

Wow Lewis that is a GREAT offer!
Computer associates makes some great stuff.
And there is a movement away from Internet Explorer, it is worth considering.
Another good alternative browser is Opera

Old 08-01-2004, 11:24 PM   #12
nanajoyx2
Enjoy those wonderful princes...they are a blessing!

I am also very computer illiterate but I know my laptop is infected with something. I have Yahoo pop-up blocker but it does not block all the ads I get from Save and When U as well as others. My question is if I download Lavasoftusa or safer-networking will I have to reinstall everything onto my computer. At this time my laptop seems to be working fine but the ads are very annoying. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:31 PM   #13
WebmasterAlex
DIS Veteran

DISboards Administrator

You should not have to reinstall everything BUT remember anytime you start screwing around with stuff ... always have a backup! things can go wrong

Old 08-02-2004, 12:08 AM   #14
manning
Just for that I have requested it be left open!!!
We each have a sore spot....My butt and her right foot

Quote:
The best browser to use is Mozilla Firefox
However I believe you will need IE to download security patches from the microsoft site.
manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 06:40 AM   #15
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

Sadly, a lot of this is probably too complicated for the AVERGE pc user, which is why many don't bother.
None of the programs are perfect, but my use of Norton Anti-Virus, Ad-Aware, Zone Alarm Firewall, and regular "Critical" Windows updates seems to work most of the time.
I tried Pest Patrol once--it actually allowed me to remove a critical file (registry?) that completely prevented further contact via Internet. I had to get the entire hard drive wiped clean by a professional company. Would also note that if you install some spyware after a long time without having any, you may find hundreds of infections that need to be quarrentined or removed. A daunting job, especially when you haven't a clue which files, etc are involved.
Would be nice if these anti-spyware programs would just identify the contamination and simply remove it--leaving the infected files once again free and clear. But it's not that simple, unfortunately.
I am always skeptical of any program that asks ME what to do...:D
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: