DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2004, 06:53 PM   #151
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally posted by Sammie
I guess it depends on who they send down there to check the situation.
Bingo!

I need my sleep on vacation. If there was a rowdy group outside my window at inappropriate hours, sure, I'd be on the phone to the front desk. And if I saw a CM fail to address the situation, I'd be on the phone again.

It's kinda hard to believe that the desk wouldn't have gotten more calls from guests. There are dozens of rooms surrounding those pools at BWV.

On the issue of 'adults only' pools, I'm pretty indifferent. If they had such pools, we would obviously respect the designation and probably even use the pools when we don't have the kiddies with us.

WDW has survived 30+ years without a public outcry for private pools, and the entire organization prides itself on being family oriented. It just doesn't feel like something that would be on Disney's radar.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 08:37 PM   #152
Desperado
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by DIZNYFAN
It is also known that when staying at the All Stars you can use any other All Star pool so essentially they are allowing pool hopping there. Yes I realize they are all linked resorts just different theming but numerous guests take this to mean they can use all pools on property like that.
Yes, but as informed DVC members who understand pool hopping priviledges, we all know that those numerous guests using any other pool but all stars pools are violating the rules as well as common courtesy and common sense by doing so. These are pool crashers, that Disney needs to address prior to eliminating purchased pool hopping priviledges from DVC members.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dean
Being a member isn't applicable per se. One must be a member staying at a DVC resort on points, not be during a blackout time period and call ahead to the resort in question to ger permission. Anything else is crashing. And DVC members are not entitled to use even their home resort unless staying there or staying at another DVC resort on points. Technically even if one is staying on a member cash discount PH wouldn't be allowed.
Great points. If someone mistakenly thought they purchased a year round pool membership by purchasing DVC points, they are mistaken. Think of what that would be like at HH if several locals bought some points, but decided they would use the facilities year round. What a hinderance that would be to DVC guests staying at the resort.

One can make all the rationalizations they want, but regardless of improper pool hopping by non-DVC members being against the rules, it's also inconsiderate and plain not right. Doesn't plain common courtesy and common sense factor into this somewhere? Or is it just abuse the system as much as I can for my own benefit thinking that wins out.

Oh well. I've never tried All Stars or All Stars pools. We use the specials on DIS and stay at the Swan or Dolphin when not at DVC. Wonderful pools.
Desperado is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-28-2004, 09:10 PM   #153
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Desperado
Great points. If someone mistakenly thought they purchased a year round pool membership by purchasing DVC points, they are mistaken. Think of what that would be like at HH if several locals bought some points, but decided they would use the facilities year round. What a hinderance that would be to DVC guests staying at the resort.
The Marriott's in HH and all Marriott's I know of, allow year around day use of the facilities. Many resorts allow this and I know people that have bought a timeshare simply to get this option. I know DVC is different and it would not be workable at WDW for this option. At HH and at VB it would be a doeable option I believe if DVC chose to go that route.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:54 PM   #154
Desperado
Registered

Quote:
At HH and at VB it would be a doeable option I believe if DVC chose to go that route.
I dissagree completely. The comment borders on the absurd.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:59 PM   #155
Sammie
DIS Veteran

I am curious about something.

If the sign at the pool says it closes at 11pm, why do some think that does not mean them.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 12:20 AM   #156
Disney Hot Mama
DIS Veteran
Onion haters unite!

If the sign at the pool says it closes at 11pm, why do some think that does not mean them.

One reason for this is the front desk. When I asked at the BC what the hours of the 'quiet' pool at the villas was they told me 24 hours. I asked again the next night and was told the same thing!

Disneyland at least monthly BUT WDW July 16 - 22, 2011, June 21 - 29, 2009 - AKL and VWL here we come! OKW 2008, 2007, 2005, 2004, 2003 & 2002 , 1999 - FW & numerous trips as a kid!
Disney Hot Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 12:25 AM   #157
Lisa P.
DIS Veteran

These are pool crashers, that Disney needs to address prior to eliminating purchased pool hopping priviledges from DVC members.

This is an example of what perhaps "should" happen vs. what is simpler and cheaper. If you were a Disney bean counter and manager of a regular Disney hotel (non-DVC), which might you choose to do first in response to the complaints by your paid hotel guests re: pool overcrowding? Would you choose to first:

1. Pay $$$ to hire more staff to "police" the pool guests, or;
2. Pay $$$ to fence and gate your hotel's pool, or;
3. Pay nothing but press for the cancellation of PH by non-hotel guests (DVCers) who pay nothing toward your hotel's pool upkeep?
Just asking from another angle, not saying it's "right."

BTW, the PH privilege was not purchased. It's a freebie, subject to change at DVC's will without notice or explanation.

Doesn't plain common courtesy and common sense factor into this somewhere?

You'd hope - another "should" kind of thing.
Too many WDW/Orlando visits to count, since 1972, both onsite & offsite - havin' fun!
Lisa P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 05:11 AM   #158
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

I just want to distinguish between "normal" pool behavior and the kinds of things I'm thinking of:
Throwing baseballs, softballs, frisbees and even footballs in the pool. Not when the pool is empty, but right in the midle of where others are trying to swim/relax. And not always the soft rubber kind--often the real thing.
Throwing french fries and food of all kinds in the pool. I once saw a little girl squeezing a bottle of Catsup into the pool while her parents(?) were clutching their sides, convulsed with laughter.
Deliberately dumping soda in the pool.
Not so small kids swimming naked in the pool.
Running along the sides of the pool (right past those signs that say "No running") while almost stepping on your head as you try to relax.
Cannonballing and diving right next to people already in the pool.

Alll of which I've seen at one time or other at these "quiet" pools at OKW.

And if it's often kids of all ages doing it, most of the times they're with adults who are simply ignoring it, or , in the case of throwing things, actually participating.
So what we do now is that when we go to a quiet pool and see it's already been taken over by such groups, we get in the car and drive to a different one. If we happen to find a pool where we can really relax, and a family or two (or three) like I've described shows up--we leave.
And as I said before, we NEVER,EVER accept any room near a pool. That solves the problem of the night owls.
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 05:12 AM   #159
Desperado
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by Lisa P.
BTW, the PH privilege was not purchased. It's a freebie, subject to change at DVC's will without notice or explanation.
Sorry, but it was part of the package we purchased, and touted by the salespeople as an important perk. It is completely true that it is subject to change, and that was understood as part of the purchase. But, one must purchase DVC to have the priviledge, it is not offered to anyone who does not make the substantial investment in DVC.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:46 AM   #160
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I dissagree completely. The comment borders on the absurd.
If it's limited to owners at that resort it's certainly workable. The Marriott's on HH do it as does Ocean Pointe in West Palm and the ones in Orlando. However I'm not saying they should or will do it, only that they could if they wanted.

Last edited by Dean; 07-29-2004 at 05:53 AM.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 06:58 AM   #161
3DisneyNUTS
can't think of anything witty!
Actually ate an entire turkey leg!

Quote:
The Marriott's in HH and all Marriott's I know of, allow year around day use of the facilities. Many resorts allow this and I know people that have bought a timeshare simply to get this option. I know DVC is different and it would not be workable at WDW for this option. At HH and at VB it would be a doeable option I believe if DVC chose to go that route.
Our guide suggested we could do this but call ahead to make sure it was ok. So they do imply that you can use the pool if you are not officially staying there. That is not an official perk but he did say they will allow it with a call ahead. Now it may break the official rules but it is being used as part of the sales presentation. So maybe this is where some people got the idea it was ok as long as they are dvc members.

In our case we would never attempt this being we live in NY and to go to Disney and stay offsite is unthinkable! Plus I am not a big fan of the pool hopping idea anyway. Too much work LOL. But I think it should still be a perk.

Our trips together since 1996 Dixie Landings.... Carribean Beach....Coronado Springs....Son's first trip.....Pop Century TWICE!...Purchased DVC....Disney Cruise Wonder...Saratoga Springs...Hilton Head...Saratoga Springs February 2005!...Sept 2005 Disney Wonder with Boardwalk Villas
UNIVERSAL May 2006 Stayed @ SSR baby!
1st trip to Disneyland Sept 2006 Grand Californian ...Universal August 2007 stayed at OKW .......Stayed at AKV Jambo House May 2009 baby Jason's first trip!
3DisneyNUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 07:54 AM   #162
Disney1fan2002
Like OMG the TF is SOO psyched to find like another Val fer sure! ;)
Please don't anyone report this thread, it has the potential to get real good
He just comes across as a pompous donkey

Quote:
Sorry, but it was part of the package we purchased, and touted by the salespeople as an important perk. It is completely true that it is subject to change, and that was understood as part of the purchase. But, one must purchase DVC to have the priviledge, it is not offered to anyone who does not make the substantial investment in DVC.
If it is not in the contract, it was not purchased. Disney used to offer TONS of perks for DVC members. Ask the owners who purchased at the time the free passes were being handed out. I don't know if they still get the free passes, but at the time it was a selling point, I am sure helped people decide to buy. If the original DVC members no longer get the free passes, can they complain to Disney that it is what they purchased when buy DVC? I don't think so. Free passes are not in the contract.

I believe there is fine print somewhere stating that any DVC perk that Disney offers, can be taken away any time. It used to be you could use your DVC member card for discounts all over WDW, now you are lucky to find one store who allows a discount. Pool hopping is a perk, and Disney can close it down anytime.

A curious question though? Would someone really base their decision to purchase something for THOUSANDS of dollars all because they can use other resort pools?
Old 07-29-2004, 07:56 AM   #163
3DisneyNUTS

Quote:
Originally posted by Disney1fan2002
If it is not in the contract, it was not purchased. Disney used to offer TONS of perks for DVC members. Ask the owners who purchased at the time the free passes were being handed out. I don't know if they still get the free passes, but at the time it was a selling point, I am sure helped people decide to buy. If the original DVC members no longer get the free passes, can they complain to Disney that it is what they purchased when buy DVC? I don't think so. Free passes are not in the contract.

I believe there is fine print somewhere stating that any DVC perk that Disney offers, can be taken away any time. It used to be you could use your DVC member card for discounts all over WDW, now you are lucky to find one store who allows a discount. Pool hopping is a perk, and Disney can close it down anytime.

A curious question though? Would someone really base their decision to purchase something for THOUSANDS of dollars all because they can use other resort pools?
I can answer on my end...definitely not!

Our trips together since 1996 Dixie Landings.... Carribean Beach....Coronado Springs....Son's first trip.....Pop Century TWICE!...Purchased DVC....Disney Cruise Wonder...Saratoga Springs...Hilton Head...Saratoga Springs February 2005!...Sept 2005 Disney Wonder with Boardwalk Villas
1st trip to Disneyland Sept 2006 Grand Californian ...Universal August 2007 stayed at OKW .......Stayed at AKV Jambo House May 2009 baby Jason's first trip!
Old 07-29-2004, 07:58 AM   #164
Disney1fan2002
Like OMG the TF is SOO psyched to find like another Val fer sure! ;)
Please don't anyone report this thread, it has the potential to get real good
He just comes across as a pompous donkey

Is it really that important for some of you to be able to swim in another resort pool while on vacation?

Personally I think ALL the pools in WDW resorts are great, EVEN the All Star pools. Also, for myself, I think I would feel "out of place" if I were not swimming at my own resort. But maybe that is just me.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:18 AM   #165
3DisneyNUTS

I agree. It is too much work and not being to go back to your room isn't worth it IMO. I save the hassle of dragging my bathing suits and stuff around for a waterpark day. While the only thing we miss is the slide at the pop resort the kid is fine without one. The pop century has those fountains that pop up. DS is thrilled with that so it makes up for it and all the cool toys around. I really wished they made that theme a moderate I love it there! It is amaing now if it were a moderate it would be all the more great!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: