Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 04:09 PM   #121
2manypets
DIS Veteran

HI, we just change our ressies to AKL. Due to an accident a few months ago, that left me with a gimp arm, I've requested a HA room. I would prefer to have a roll in shower for safety as I can't grab for anything if I start to wobble. Does anyone know where these are located. My ressie's for a standard view (the only type available)
Old 08-29-2007, 05:13 AM   #122
Ali and boyz
DIS Veteran

anyone got a map or has stayed in the dedicated fully accessable rooms at SSR

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-31-2007, 08:06 AM   #123
2manypets
DIS Veteran

Does anyone know about the HA rooms at AKL or SSR?? Anyone?!?
Old 08-31-2007, 10:07 PM   #124
PrincessSuzanne
Guess I will be eating crow tonight
Good thing I can be quiet when necessary

DH and I were in a HA room at the WL, #1143 had a king bed and roll in shower. I don't know how that happened, I didn't request a HA room for us. I did request for mom, but not this same trip or resort, but I did enjoy not having to step up into a tub, I felt safer in the shower. I have a tendency to fall in the tub (only at home so far).

Suzanne
Old 09-03-2007, 08:46 PM   #125
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manypets View Post
HI, we just change our ressies to AKL. Due to an accident a few months ago, that left me with a gimp arm, I've requested a HA room. I would prefer to have a roll in shower for safety as I can't grab for anything if I start to wobble. Does anyone know where these are located. My ressie's for a standard view (the only type available)
They are in various places.
There are 2 types of accessible rooms. One type has a tub with grab bars. The other type is fully accessible with roll in showers. They should have called Special Reservations to block a room for you. If you don't know what type of room they booked for you, you can check with Special Reservations - the number is in the disABILITIES FAQs thread (if you booked with a travel agent, you will need to have the travel agent check for you).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali and boyz View Post
What size of room?
We gave stayed in fully accessible 1 bedroom villas 4 times. They were all lock offs. I think (but am not sure) that all of the 1 bedrooms are lock offs and that they are scattered to be in all the buildings. I don't remember the room numbers, but we have stayed in The Springs twice (actually in the same room) and also in 2 different buildings in Congress Park.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 09-03-2007, 09:44 PM   #126
clkelley
I squealed really loud!!
I got one on my camper too

I just wanted to say, thanks for everyone for keeping this thread up. I started it, and fully intended to continue to update the first post, but life just gets in the way. Even though hubby still uses an ECV in the parks, we no longer need a fully accessible room because he can now get in and out of tubs just fine since his knee replacement. We have decided that 1st floor rooms are our main objective as dealing with elevators is a pain with the ECV, and we can usually get that with just a regular room request through CRO. Also after our Free Dining trip at POP in just 9 days, all of our future trips will be at Fort Wilderness in our new T@B camper :-)
Old 09-03-2007, 10:06 PM   #127
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Thanks for the thanks.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 10-01-2007, 02:51 PM   #128
rozilla
Earning My Ears

CBR accessible?

Hello, we are renting a ECV and are wondering what rooms at CBR are accessible? Thanks! Rose
Old 10-02-2007, 01:12 AM   #129
BroganMc
It's not the age, it's the mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali and boyz View Post
I've stayed in fuly accessible 1bedrooms in the Springs and Grandstand sections. (I'll be in a dedicated 2bedroom and studio in a couple weeks.)

My Springs room was 3525 and located in the direct center of the building where the elevators are. I was ground level. My view was of the lake/pond between the two buildings there. I saw swans floating by every morning.

The room had a roll-in shower with flipdown bench. With the 1bedrooms you also get a separate 2nd sink area outside next to the spa tub. The beds are a decent 20" height rather than the high 26". You do lose the breakfast counter space though they do include the chairs. I have no idea why. You also don't have that window between the spa and bed, it's a solid wall.

We parked my dad's ECV in the living room by the lock-off connecting door and my powerchair against the jacuzzi wall for overnight charging.

My Grandstand room was 8125, in the same location of the building as my Springs room. Pretty much a mirror image. My view was of a small courtyard, the golf course and the resort in the distance. I saw a lot of ducks and even had one join me for breakfast one morning. He just walked up to me from the courtyard.

Grandstand is the first stop on the bus route so it was easier for traveling with two powered devices. We always had empty busses.

Here's a resort map so you can see where we were. I have a feeling we'll be on a higher floor for the 2bedroom.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:16 AM   #130
madenon
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozilla View Post
Hello, we are renting a ECV and are wondering what rooms at CBR are accessible? Thanks! Rose
If you only need space to put the ECV, you can get any room as long as it's first floor. Just go ahead and request first floor on medical reasons (speak to special reservations)

If you need more than that (rails, rollinshower); ask about that also. Room 3107 is a room with roll in, in North Trinidad.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:06 PM   #131
kimysbug
DIS Veteran

We just got back from the Poly
Rapa Nua
1125- roll in shower- grab bars etc. full acc.
2 queen beds
we had moms wheel chair & walker in her room & there was plenty of room to walk around
Connecting w/ our room
This had a tub shower w/ grab bars
Super huge bathrooms in both rooms

Theese rooms were on the 1st floor the last 2 rooms at the far end of the long house- really close to the TTC
1999/2000-Board walk/Disney Wonder New Years Cruise Dec/Jan
2000- All Star Sports- September
2001- Port Orleans French Quarter- June
2003-Polynessian - October -MNSSHP
2005-Disney Vow Renewal Grand Floridian -July
2005- Pop Century- December MVMCP
2006- Wilderness Lodge-December- MVMCP
2007-Polynessian- 9/27-10/1- MNSSHP 9/28 W/ Momma Bear
2009 -Coranodo Spring-Surprise trip-Graduation trip-May
2011-Wilderness Lodge-December-MVMCP
Old 11-04-2007, 06:37 AM   #132
madenon
Mouseketeer

Anyone have any more info on AKL, both savannah vew rooms and concierge? If I read correctly, those rooms are big enough to fit 3 adults, even when needing a roll in shower, is that correct? How about the beds?
Old 11-05-2007, 04:53 PM   #133
PrincessSuzanne
Guess I will be eating crow tonight
Good thing I can be quiet when necessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by madenon View Post
Anyone have any more info on AKL, both savannah vew rooms and concierge? If I read correctly, those rooms are big enough to fit 3 adults, even when needing a roll in shower, is that correct? How about the beds?

We are staying at AKL next month in a HC accessible room with a roll-in shower, standard view. I understand there are 2 queen beds, but not sure.

Suzanne
Old 11-06-2007, 04:19 AM   #134
madenon
Mouseketeer

Thnx for the reply Suzanne. I was getting the run around about it "begin 2 queens" and "no, its a king and pull out". Didn't like it very much, because I had my heart set on the AKL. So yesterday, I decided to call the AKL itself. I had to talk to 3 different persons before getting somebody that could help me, but I finally got the answer!

The handicapped accessible rooms at AKL are both a king and roll out AND 2 queens. Just like with the views you can put a request in for either, and with special requests actually blocking a room when you book, you should be able to know what you get right then and there. When I explained it was for medical reasons that a roll out wouldn't do in our case (all three of us got reumatoid diseases and sleeping on a roll out would aggrevate the pain), I was put at ease. No problem, just make sure they know about that and as long as it's still available SR will get you the 2 queen beds room.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:01 AM   #135
steffali
DIS Veteran

CL rooms with roll in showers

We are starting to plan our next trip and I wanted to know the bed sizes in the CL rooms with a roll in shower, what type of views do they have etc... Anyone have any favorite resorts for a HA Concierge room???? We are trying to narrow down where to stay based on what the best place for us will be.
It will be me my DH and my DD who is 21 years old and needs the roll in shower. I would appreciate any advice or opinions.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: